Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I recently started having a strange issue with the audio out on the Roland J6 that no other gear has given me before, I wonder if anyone here has encountered something similar. The mix out/headphone jack distorts the left channel when using headphones, but sounds clean when running through other gear(tested with a TRS to RCA cable into a Sound Canvas, and a TRS to dual TS into a Tascam DP). Tried factory reset, thorough cleaning, different headphones and charger, nothing seems to get rid of the distortion except running the output to something else first.
It wouldn't even bother me too much if it was both channels but it's just the left one and it's annoying. Only guess I have so far is maybe the headphone cable tips are more worn down than the splitter cables' and I need to tighten up the jack on the J6 somehow.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
A modular success story:

I had all this poo poo set up at a friends', and he and his brother were jamming on guitars (which was re-colorizing the video stream which was a mix of video of us, analog shapes, and pictures of amusement parks which would change based on a gate high coming off one of the guitar envelopes :laugh: ) and his brother said "can you give us a beat?" and QD gave us a beat and then said "hmm, sorta hard for me to just invert progressions right now can you add a bassline" and I touched rene and xpo a bit and I guess got something good enough going because they started wiling out.

I am being a bit tongue and cheek but also it did feel like a little bit of a level up moment because if you'd handed me a modular rack 2 years ago and asked for drums and bass I woulda stared at you like a deer in headlights and then peed

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That's sick as hell!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
drat thats rad.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rad. what are analog shapes tho?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

KoRMaK posted:

rad. what are analog shapes tho?

LZX works by using/abusing video specs directly to generate image data. Their oscillators provide, among other things, modes for creating horizontal and vertical lines; if you mix a horizontal sine/halfsine with a vertical sine or halfsine, you start to get circles, more or less. To simplify the literal construction of shapes there are a couple helper modules which are, uh... static oscillators, essentially? LZX makes "Dual Shape Generator" (https://lzxindustries.net/products/dsg3) which has 2 sides each of which will generate a variety of different shapes based on how the switches are flipped, and which can then be animated or warped with CV.

Syntonie has a new thing I have an IOU preorder in for called Rampes that I am very eyes on; it's similar to DSG in that I think it's basically a static oscillator block; unlike DSG it has zero CV and instead just provides 16 different outputs, each of which produces a different "ramp". A ramp is a grayscale image which goes from 0/black to 1/white across either the horizontal, vertical or both axis, and the rate of change can be linear, log or exponential. If you start to think about what happens when you combine/stack multiples of those, "shape generation" might be a space you land in

I made the analog distinction just because most of this stuff is entirely analog, and I think that's super cool. There's exceptions but usually with a purpose; Ribbons is a digital module that's trying hard to replicate the look of 8-bit digitizers from a specific era, poo poo like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbKT5PH1rJs&t=348s

e: notably, stuff like Sleepy Circuits hypno is not analog, and while I don't have any problem with that and might eventually own one as a complex visual noise source, that stuff just feels more like "winamp visuals with CV" than "synthesis" to me. Like I'd rather be using Resolme or Luman at that point?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I havent touched a synth or anything my musical in a year and i kind of feel like impulse buying the eowave quadrantid swarm

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I havent touched a synth or anything my musical in a year and i kind of feel like impulse buying the eowave quadrantid swarm

this looks super cool; also, as soon as I saw the first thumbnail of the faceplate my brain said "this is the same company that makes Weather Drones", a module I don't and have never owned, so they have a pretty distinctive aesthetic.

predictably this GAS video makes me wanna fill a rack with the stuff :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4XzaYgelw

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Seven new modules? Pump the breaks there, Uli!
(Just in reference to the "announcing ALL THE SYNTHS" approach)
I keep telling myself "you don't need a drone synth. You don't need a drone module. You can drone with anything. Go drone right now." Any time I start drooling over their stuff, or, for instance there's still a used pair of folktek alter x and y for sale at a shop I enjoy, and they intrigue the hell out of me, but $Texas! Four hundred and seventy nine Canuckbux apiece.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 26, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Digitakt 2 got me looking for new credit cards with an introductory cash back bonus...

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The new digitakt is priced juuuuuust high enough that it takes the sting out of anybody who bought an mk1 in the past six months

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The new digitakt is priced juuuuuust high enough that it takes the sting out of anybody who bought an mk1 in the past six months

Its only $200 more for double the tracks*, double the steps per pattern, and like 10x the storage. If I had bought new recently I'd be feeling the sting. Thankfully I bought it a lot cheaper used for govt bailout $ years ago

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm interested in video synthesis but probably can't go the route of doing hardware stuff like LZX, what are good software options for getting into that world? I'm on PC, if that makes a difference. I also have a (pretty old) license for Max/MSP, which I never really got into, but I found it pretty intimidating back when I got it. Are there specific video synthesis packages that are built for Max that give you a patching environment akin to what you'd get with LZX modules?

The other video guy has logged on, sorry for the delay.

Just in case you hadn't found it already there is VSynth for Max, it's available through their package manager. I used to use the modules in a now defunct software called MSDP 2. Haven't gotten very far with the Max version.

Can't recommend Hydra highly enough if you know a bit of JavaScript. It being able to utilize external libraries like P5 and three.js is pretty big league.

Cathodemer is a little up its own rear end about being a fake CRT, but if you tell it to render as a texture it does pretty well as a three "voice" video synth. I don't really use any of the other tabs besides sometimes Source. Available on Steam for Mac and Windows. If you'd like I can post a little explainer of the synthesizer screen as it's somewhat obtuse. MIDI integration is kinda not great, but it does support NDI and both frame sharing libraries (Syphon for Mac and Spout for Windows).

Resolume does allow for some powerful creation of visuals with its sources and effects, but I find it lacking in terms of actually feeling like a synth. Check out MowgliTV on YouTube. He does really creative generative patches, but they lack the analog je nais se quois. Still a beast of a software though and if you start piping your layers out into analog devices and back in for final composite you end up with stuff that looks like YOVOZOL. I'm considering getting a better Mac just so I can have more video outs for stuff like that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I miss Lumen :( It was a cool modular video synth for the Mac but development stopped last year and the documentation was never completed. Also it did not export video natively so it was a pain in the rear end (and at only 480p).

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

I miss Lumen :( It was a cool modular video synth for the Mac but development stopped last year and the documentation was never completed. Also it did not export video natively so it was a pain in the rear end (and at only 480p).

Yeah I was excited to try Lumen when I got my Mac and then saw that it was dead software. Sad.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweet my tracker should ship this next month

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I changed my mind and bought the s-1 instead of the swarm. Boring option in comparison but drat the feature set, battery and the sound make it a no brainer for the cost.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hmm does it have clock in

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm interested in video synthesis but probably can't go the route of doing hardware stuff like LZX, what are good software options for getting into that world? I'm on PC, if that makes a difference. I also have a (pretty old) license for Max/MSP, which I never really got into, but I found it pretty intimidating back when I got it. Are there specific video synthesis packages that are built for Max that give you a patching environment akin to what you'd get with LZX modules?

if you wanted to go the hellish route of LZX definitely look at Mainbow, for $250 prebuilt it's a fully functional audio reactive basically semimodular video synth with a built in SD video encoder and decoder, so it can process movies and poo poo.

For me it was a gateway drug to more expensive places but it's not a bad thing on its own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSZ0qDWMXo

and one of mine that I probably posted before, but this is pre-LZX and only mainbow + cv mixing. (The picture-in-picture and camera video feedback are being done with a cheap early 2000s video mixer that has mainbow and a camera pointed at the screen hooked into it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcSdZaQAhi0

B33rChiller posted:

Seven new modules? Pump the breaks there, Uli!
(Just in reference to the "announcing ALL THE SYNTHS" approach)
I keep telling myself "you don't need a drone synth. You don't need a drone module. You can drone with anything. Go drone right now." Any time I start drooling over their stuff, or, for instance there's still a used pair of folktek alter x and y for sale at a shop I enjoy, and they intrigue the hell out of me, but $Texas! Four hundred and seventy nine Canuckbux apiece.

I definitely do not need any new noisemakers but that may not stop me from filling a rack with this stuff eventually. I'm building a museum of drones, lights and cow farts. I am the curator of RGB Acid poo poo.

e: yes also "drone synth" is a funny concept given how many fuckin morphing wavetable things I seem to own

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

lzx stuff seems like it needs a source video feed for everything, is there a visualizer in a box module that I can run modular signals into

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

lzx stuff seems like it needs a source video feed for everything, is there a visualizer in a box module that I can run modular signals into
This is really two different questions. The first thing, w/r/t video input, is wrong. At its core LZX is an ecosystem of synthesis and mixing modules and video input is both secondary and expensive, sort of like adding really good live sampling to an audio rack. I do a lot of stuff with video and images because it's my own particular weird vibe but lots of people have LZX racks without the video input module ($1000! $300 for a more limited one from Syntonie in the EU). The LZX prebuilt 84hp systems they sell from time to time mostly do not have the input module. LZX is not what you want, clearly.

Sleepy Circuits Hypno exists in both standalone and eurorack formats. It's exactly what you're asking for as far as I can tell.

Ultimately, LZX is extreme overkill if all you want is concert visuals, and Hypno is uninteresting to me compared to what a full LZX rack can do. There's someone on the LZX server who just synths up specific static images a lot of the time that look somewhere between 4 and 8 bit graphics, depending and he's done stuff like take a photo he likes and try to synth a similarly composed scene. That seems like it must be incredibly time consuming -- and that is that person's particular weird.

Hypno is like $600 and right out of the box will give you complex, reactive visuals without learning an entirely new language of image construction that includes a bunch of implementation details of the applicable video spec to whatever you're synthing.

LZX stuff enables much more powerful workflows and overall can be bent to a lot more purposes, but $600 doesn't even begin to get in the door and it's not worth looking at unless you're some kind of video sicko in which case, :getin:

Mainbow is, again, worth a look as well. Hard to beat the price. Here's LZX & Hypno.

My LZX ( no audio on either; the LZX + mainbow video is doing things that mainbow absolutely cannot by itself but the combo is some pretty good psychedellia type poo poo )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_Tp5mM6IM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBRINBd2bUI

Lars explains how to use the "Angles" module, so this is a bunch of content geared at a specific piece of gear and shows a tiny subset of what you can do with that thing, but the intentionality with which things are at times placed in certain ways speaks to the flexibility of the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b633U95ogo

And Hypno demoed by RMR, I don't own one :-|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUk_2qZLVA

So, what do you want to do? Do you want to spend endlessly into a weird and small ecosystem subject to the whims of like 3 companies with a hope of eventually getting somewhere useful, or do you just want some nice concert visuals? :lsd:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 27, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

In terms of intentionality: That ocean patch was fun to do and I sort of stumbled into the waves initially, but then bringing it into that particular color spectrum was a deliberate choice which involved composing a set of "ramps" (gradients, more or less, to mix with the overall color information) and then mapping stuff across RGB channels and also playing with different ways of bending the horizontal line clocked by an LFO to get things that felt more "ocean". It's doodling with shapes and oscillators, and feeling clever about making relatively simple images because it feels more like a physical programming language for visual information than it does like twisting levers on Winamp plugin type algorithms.

Writing visualizer algorithms is a kind of clever that's much cheaper to enter and ultimately a lot more powerful; it lacks the physicality, it's never seemed fun enough to me to try to get good at. That's not a judgement, the poo poo I find fun is weird and usually expensive and that's been true for a long time.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The newest Behringer dropped and it’s free and…a plugin? Didn’t see that coming. In lieu of payment (they say it’s worth 99 bucks) they’re asking for charity donations, which can be done when downloading it or through the plugin itself.

https://plugins.musictribe.com/behringer/0723-AAD

Makes me wonder if they’ll do more VA stuff with hardware, or if maybe that was the plan for this and then they just decided to release the software. I only messed with it for 5 minutes since I’m working on a song, but it seems good enough considering the price.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if you wanted to go the hellish route of LZX definitely look at Mainbow, for $250 prebuilt it's a fully functional audio reactive basically semimodular video synth with a built in SD video encoder and decoder, so it can process movies and poo poo.

oh hell yeah this is what i've been looking f--

it's a eurorack module and needs a case and power supply and all that

nevermind then

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hypno has a stanalone

a case for Mainbow isn't expensive though, one module you can probably get away with using a USB plug or something

if you do any DIY https://synthcube.com/cart/diy/diy-power/beetle-mini-power-pcb this plus a shoebox or something would cover you.

e: I had thought maybe mainbow didn't actually use the 5v and 12v rails both, which would simplify this, but I just looked at the wiring diagram.

e2: hey! Behr has a $79 power supply now; I bet it's fine and then some for Mainbow? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehrCP1A--behringer-cp1a-power-supply-module-for-eurorack-system

At that point a case can litererally be five piece of plywood, who cares, you don't need nice rails for one module and a PSU. So, you're at under four hundred bucks done if you use some kind of scrapwood or something, and under 300 if you solder your own Mainbow.

I have mainbow, wavecomber, QuadVCA, a couple 2HP Trim and a rat king Event! in a powered 140hp case I built inside a wood box. I'd sell that to you at cost but we're at around a thousand dollars suddenly :laugh: Euro adds up fast.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Threads a little slow lately so watch a drone video because youtube just doesn't have enough of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfwOBlQ7GVc

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I caroused a bit too hard on my birthday yesterday, to make much use of my day off for the kind of, ahem, spiritual seeking in the wilderness which I had intended.

Then I remembered I still had a day to do a Glitch Guild submission and the prompt is "drums" and well here we are an hour later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VCXsU8Fng

this was fun as poo poo to do, drumbrute rules, maths (which I somehow just got) friggin rules.

this video was zero oscillators or synthesis, it's just glitch/mixing/feedback. The only maybe cheat there is using stairs to produce animated phase shifts, but, god drat it that's just math it's not synthesis, it's just math applied to colorspace! I think.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Posted by Donner
Apr 30, 2024

Dear MEDO Backer
This update is a test demo made by MEDO connected to MEDO Synth. thank you for your support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vO3o6jLco

edit: lol there were 2 views on this when I clicked it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think you actually clicked it because there were 2 views when I clicked it. :colbert:

Sure looks sexy but small touch screens are kinda crap from a human interaction standpoint. Your hands cover the information and nothing is a button so you can't develop muscle memory.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I caroused a bit too hard on my birthday yesterday, to make much use of my day off for the kind of, ahem, spiritual seeking in the wilderness which I had intended.

Then I remembered I still had a day to do a Glitch Guild submission and the prompt is "drums" and well here we are an hour later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VCXsU8Fng

this was fun as poo poo to do, drumbrute rules, maths (which I somehow just got) friggin rules.

this video was zero oscillators or synthesis, it's just glitch/mixing/feedback. The only maybe cheat there is using stairs to produce animated phase shifts, but, god drat it that's just math it's not synthesis, it's just math applied to colorspace! I think.

I'm in your base killin your dudes.
I tried to get a Glitch Guild submission together by deadline but it was getting late and one of my TV's was being temperamental.
I wanted to do something with the rhythm prompt and like have the two TV's pulse on and off with the beat. But when I started to put the shot together it looked kinda poo poo without a fourth quadrant so I cloned one of the screens with Resolume advanced output. I started off using my VHS camcorder as final capture, but now I'm passing that shot into Resolume and doing the aforementioned compositing there. Camera is feeding into a V4, keyed to white atop negatized V4 feedback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED80f4Kdp2g
Displays are driven by Raspberry Pi 3B's receiving NDI streams from Resolume, which are in turn just simple patches made in Max with VSynth. Dicaffeine is pretty sick but the hardware I have doesn't quiiite keep up even on low resolution mode. Bottom left is Alien on VHS. Music is from this mix https://soundcloud.com/fastram/sounds-of-the-amiga-rave-vol2
Just felt like writing up some process and I have to have some product as accompaniment. I'm loathe to record anything ever. I never buy enough storage.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Just felt like writing up some process and I have to have some product as accompaniment. I'm loathe to record anything ever. I never buy enough storage.

thanks! that's all super cool, and interesting, I haven't touched software at all really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsS8UzrNho

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Posted by Donner
Apr 30, 2024

Dear MEDO Backer
This update is a test demo made by MEDO connected to MEDO Synth. thank you for your support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vO3o6jLco

edit: lol there were 2 views on this when I clicked it

I think I've got my money worth by posting every 11 days to point out they claimed in update 7 that they would post updates every 10 days. Is no way this is being released in the next few months.

I also want to join the 2 views club.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I want to play 2 different stereo synthesizers simultaneously through my home stereo speakers. What simple/low profile options do I have? I've only used large mixers and lots of the random small mixers on Amazon look sketchy.

I guess also I'll need something like dual ts to phono to connect to the stereo. Any gotcha there?

Edit: since this is going to an amplifier anyway is it possible to do this with a passive mixer?

theratking fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 1, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

theratking posted:

I want to play 2 different stereo synthesizers simultaneously through my home stereo speakers. What simple/low profile options do I have? I've only used large mixers and lots of the random small mixers on Amazon look sketchy.

I guess also I'll need something like dual ts to phono to connect to the stereo. Any gotcha there?

Edit: since this is going to an amplifier anyway is it possible to do this with a passive mixer?

i don't see why it wouldn't work with a passive mixer if all you're looking for is a way to combine two signals into one. passive mixing can lead to some signal loss but i don't think it would matter for the use case you're describing. i also don't think there's any issues with converting ts to phono but i don't actually know.

if you want a small powered mixer to handle stereo channels i recommend the bastl bestie which i have and use and love but that'll run you back about $230

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

watho posted:

i don't see why it wouldn't work with a passive mixer if all you're looking for is a way to combine two signals into one. passive mixing can lead to some signal loss but i don't think it would matter for the use case you're describing. i also don't think there's any issues with converting ts to phono but i don't actually know.

if you want a small powered mixer to handle stereo channels i recommend the bastl bestie which i have and use and love but that'll run you back about $230

Thanks! I actually just realized both synths (Yamaha refaces) have aux in, so I'm thinking a mixer isn't even necessary. Just plug synth 1 -> synth 2 -> stereo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No keys, no midi, just reasonably priced joy!

CCTV hitting it out of the park. Simple joystick without any recording, or multiple lane stuff, but $CDN160 blows doepfer and befaco and intellijel out of the water. Bonus that it was overnight shipping. The stuff didn't even leave Vancouver Island.
Also got a kit to try soldering together. It's a standalone filter that takes a 9V battery. I plan on setting it up with a jack for a pedal power supply.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

No keys, no midi, just reasonably priced joy!

CCTV hitting it out of the park. Simple joystick without any recording, or multiple lane stuff, but $CDN160 blows doepfer and befaco and intellijel out of the water. Bonus that it was overnight shipping. The stuff didn't even leave Vancouver Island.
Also got a kit to try soldering together. It's a standalone filter that takes a 9V battery. I plan on setting it up with a jack for a pedal power supply.

what if I told you that if you spent more than twice as much you could get one in LZX range

Ouiji looks nicer than the xbox thumbstick on Vector, and has 2x the outputs, but have you considered also having a super cheesy onboard engine in only 2 more HP? :laugh:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think I'd rather put that towards a new laptop. What should I be looking for, to hit the sweet spot of CPU that will run a shedload of modules in VCV rack, GPU that is Ok to alright for somewhat recentish games, and cost as little as possible (bang for buck value to run some moderate 3D games, and VCV rack well)?
Previously I was under the impression that these Ryzen CPUs had actually functional integrated graphics, and bought a laptop with one in the middle of the price range at Costco.
I was wrong. And it tends to choke under moderate use in VCV.
Not looking for leet RGB GAMER stuff, I'd just like it to be functional and dependable (trying to avoid the hottest running gear)

Any suggestions folks?

vvv I suppose any discrete graphics will be an improvement over what I'm running now, eh?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 2, 2024

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
My last two laptops have been Lenovo legion purchased during sales and I find them to be very good bang for bucks

If you can find one from the older generations it should be reasonably priced and still powerful

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV14Ug3Aos
Quick and dirty patch what for making snarls sounds, and test a shift register
That FM aid is bitchin too.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 3, 2024