Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

VCA4p also has a mix out, which is amazingly useful a lot of the time. I love the character of it. Clouds is pretty deep and has the benefit of a nice-sounding stereo reverb along with the granular resynthesis - I find it fun to play as an instrument. You might also consider Warps if you like slightly unhinged sonic mayhem. It doesn't do much subtle but I still love it.

Considering the first two modules I owned were the Echophon and Maths, "subtle" isn't exactly a strong word in my modular vocabulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Excuse the doublepost, but this is kind of hilarious: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/64/op-1-internals

Teenage Engineering apparently has a constant sense of humor, even when it comes to ribbon cables and PC boards.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MockingQuantum posted:

Excuse the doublepost, but this is kind of hilarious: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/64/op-1-internals

Teenage Engineering apparently has a constant sense of humor, even when it comes to ribbon cables and PC boards.

That's the loving best.

ninja:

Also great.

MockingQuantum posted:

Considering the first two modules I owned were the Echophon and Maths, "subtle" isn't exactly a strong word in my modular vocabulary.

Oh, er. Right. Well then, Warps is batshit and you'd probably love it.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 26, 2016

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Mr. Glass posted:

the best bang for your buck is probably going to be utilities. definitely get a vca. the best vca/hp ratio module that i'm aware of is the zlob vnicursal but honestly that's probably overkill for such a small system, maybe look at the vca4p which has the advantage of having lin/exp switches or maybe even the µVCA which only has 2 but is highly flexible (instead of lin/exp being a switch it's a knob and you can morph between the two shapes).

if you're looking for more modulation maybe check out Tides which gives you a ton of wave shapes and can be used as a VCO.

The RYO 3xVCA is another super-compact option.

Also, Tides is a really great module. Besides being a great VCO and LFO, the Parasites firmware gives you a bunch of nice random outputs.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

Oh, er. Right. Well then, Warps is batshit and you'd probably love it.

I will definitely check it out then, "batshit" is kinda the magic word I'm going for!

good jovi posted:

The RYO 3xVCA is another super-compact option.

Also, Tides is a really great module. Besides being a great VCO and LFO, the Parasites firmware gives you a bunch of nice random outputs.

Oh awesome, hadn't seen that RYO before. Good to know about the Tides too.

I'm much more excited to actually finish out this rack with more limited options to research!

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 26, 2016

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
for some reason i thought the RYO VCA was AC coupled, which is why i didn't mention it, but i think that's the synthrotek one which looks really similar. i'm pretty sure it's DIY only though, so i hope you're handy with a soldering iron :science:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
There's also the ALM tangle quartet which is a neat little thing. Mix out too.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sweetwater demo of the Montage shows that Yamaha can't be trusted 100%. The FM engine sounds pretty good, but their vaunted Super Knob is Super Steppy, and I wonder how deep that aliasing occurs within Motion Control.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
When their show feature is a loving macro knob in TYOOL 2016 you know the inmates are running the asylum. Also wow bipolar parameters and adjustable response curves. Never had of those before. :jerkbag:
Apparently they pulled sampling and the in depth sequencing out too? What is going on over there? Is this supposed to be their Jupiter80?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of gear recommendations for modular, I'm also looking for a good general purpose (i.e. less crazy than the Echophon) delay or reverb options. I'm thinking pedals or a standalone unit, since I'd use it in the studio even when I'm not loving around with my modular. Are guitar pedals still a decent choice for synths? Should I be looking somewhere else?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
when it comes to reverb it's hard to go wrong with the Eventide Space (which i have and love) or the Strymon BigSky (which i've heard nothing but good things about, it would have been my first choice but the Space won out due to being available from amazon prime). delays i personally like to keep in the modular for signal routing flexibility, but that's a matter of taste more than anything else; usually i don't want to route the entire modular mix through it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I didn't have the money for an Eventide Space or the Strymon BigSky when I was looking for a reverb, so I got the DigiTech Supernatural Ambient Reverb. It's beautiful. It's not dirt cheap or anything but it's still basically a budget version of the Eventide Space. I've owned a few different reverb pedals including the Electro-Harmonix Cathedral and HardWire RV-7, but this is without a doubt the best reverb I've ever owned.

And it works great with my synths, which is currently all I use it for.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of gear recommendations for modular, I'm also looking for a good general purpose (i.e. less crazy than the Echophon) delay or reverb options. I'm thinking pedals or a standalone unit, since I'd use it in the studio even when I'm not loving around with my modular. Are guitar pedals still a decent choice for synths? Should I be looking somewhere else?

4ms just revealed the Dual Looping Delay. It's pretty rad.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I like the catalinbread belle epoch or echorec depending you want something weird or more traditional. I also am waiting for my ct5 preorder to come.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Got my Minilogue in the mail yesterday. Been having a blast with it so far!

Put together a little ambient track with it this morning
https://soundcloud.com/sinerider/logue

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just out of curiosity for anyone who has used both, how does the minilogue appeal to a microbrute owner? I have the micro as my first/only synth and I'm happy with it but the price and idea of the minilogue is highly appealing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hahah goddamnit SweetWater.

Just got this phone call:

"Hey this is John from Sweetwater... can I speak to BonoMan?"

"Yeah this is Bonoman..."

"Hey you may remember that you signed up for a contest from us back in November?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh... well you didn't win anything, sorry let me get that out of the way. But I just wanted to know if I could chat with you about your musical needs."

loving hell. Great guy, but drat choose a different lead in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

Hahah goddamnit SweetWater.

Just got this phone call:

"Hey this is John from Sweetwater... can I speak to BonoMan?"

"Yeah this is Bonoman..."

"Hey you may remember that you signed up for a contest from us back in November?"

"Yeah!"

"Oh... well you didn't win anything, sorry let me get that out of the way. But I just wanted to know if I could chat with you about your musical needs."

loving hell. Great guy, but drat choose a different lead in.
Why would he even bring that up then? :cripes:

lmao What a tease. Jesus.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sometimes when I'm lonely I'll order a MIDI cable or something from Sweetwater just so I can talk to Brad. Hello Brad. I miss you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why would he even bring that up then? :cripes:

lmao What a tease. Jesus.

I think he was trying to tell me that's where he got my contact info but hoo boy. Yeah... gotta be a better way to break that ice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Is this to sell you more stuff or just surveys?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is this to sell you more stuff or just surveys?

He just wanted to know what my interests where and to ask that I use Sweetwater in the future.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ah, that wouldn't bother me much. If it was selling you stuff, that'd make me consider using another retailer in the future. But I'd never heard of either over here.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Since deadmau5 is a mod you think he'll pop in here and give us all free modules or something?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just out of curiosity for anyone who has used both, how does the minilogue appeal to a microbrute owner? I have the micro as my first/only synth and I'm happy with it but the price and idea of the minilogue is highly appealing.

I haven't used it, but: Minilogue has four-voice polyphony (also configurable as two four-osc stacked voices, a single 8-osc stacked voice, a chorded voice, etc.) vs. the Microbrute's monophonic architecture; Minilogue has the ability to save patches - i.e. it is a digitally-controlled analog synth - vs. the Microbrute's analog control / analog synth architecture. Minilogue and Microbrute also sound quite different, and to my ear quite complimentary to one another.

Minilogue is pretty amazing at its price point. So's the Microbrute.

It's a good time to be into analog synths. :D

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

net work error posted:

Since deadmau5 is a mod you think he'll pop in here and give us all free modules or something?

I would make space in my rack for that.

We need a :deadmau5: emote.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sofullofhate posted:

I would make space in my rack for that.

We need a :deadmau5: emote.
It should just be :iamafag: with mouse ears.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So I recorded a synth soundtrack for a short film I shot last summer.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

It should just be :iamafag: with mouse ears.

This was the right call, so I spent an hour and $30, and we should be able to :deadmau5: whenever a mod gets around to approving it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Speaking as a microbrute owner in much the same boat, I haven't used it but it appeals very strongly indeed. I'm kicking myself every day over not putting in a preorder when the store page listed February as a European release date and now there's a waiting list.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VoodooXT posted:

So I recorded a synth soundtrack for a short film I shot last summer.

Love those formant tables!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm at the exact same boat as you, and I got the chance to try out the minilogue yesterday. I felt it's much more "musical" than the brute, mostly due to polyphony of course. I guess it comes to down to if you're a technoman and like the bleeps and bloops and mod matrix and cv thingies of brute, minilogue seems a bit more straightforward (granted i only twiddled with it for about 20 minutes). I'm really considering getting it for the introduction to analog polysynth, but then again, I might end up regretting not saving up a bit more and getting something a bit more expensive?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flinger posted:

I'm at the exact same boat as you, and I got the chance to try out the minilogue yesterday. I felt it's much more "musical" than the brute, mostly due to polyphony of course. I guess it comes to down to if you're a technoman and like the bleeps and bloops and mod matrix and cv thingies of brute, minilogue seems a bit more straightforward (granted i only twiddled with it for about 20 minutes). I'm really considering getting it for the introduction to analog polysynth, but then again, I might end up regretting not saving up a bit more and getting something a bit more expensive?

I feel like the minilogue is a kind of successor to the microkorg (wood panel and all) and from what I've seen so far it fixes pretty much everything that the microkorg didn't do well.

I have a feeling that in about a year or so we'll see a LOT of indie bands using them.

Also to people who have played with the minilogue - Is the delay good?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So how about those clicky envelopes Minilogue owners are complaining about? This is a huge pet peeve of mine with a lot of plugins, but I haven't really experienced such an issue with a hardware synth before (other than occasionally the Virus TI but it's fully digital). It would be a showstopper for me though if I had to add >20 ms to my attack and release on every patch just to make it sound right.

Haven't demoed a Minilogue though, so don't know if there's any meat to that complaint.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Korg simply does not know how to do envelope retriggering without clickiness. The KingKorg non-legato mono mode clicks in spades. The new Electribe has the same problem.

Chances are that the EGs and LFOs on the Minilogue are digital, unless it's stated otherwise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sofullofhate posted:

This was the right call, so I spent an hour and $30, and we should be able to :deadmau5: whenever a mod gets around to approving it.

:deadmau5: :deadmau5: :deadmau5:

Aw yeah, it's about to get prog house up in this bitch.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I choose to pronounce :deadmau5: as "oontz".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

:deadmau5: :deadmau5: :deadmau5:

Aw yeah, it's about to get prog house up in this bitch.

Damnit, the yellow is too bright for the new post background colorsssss!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like the minilogue is a kind of successor to the microkorg (wood panel and all)

This, with all of the good and bad that comes with such a statement. Vanilla as hell soundwise (IMO), but cheap enough for a college kid, and at least this one's knobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just traded in a bunch of gear for a Minilogue (and got better prices from GC than I would have on Craigslist dear god is it the end of the world?) and I'm really excited, personally.

Then I made the mistake of watching demo vids of the Korg ARP Odyssey. Does the GAS never end? I really really want one. It sounds nasty and hosed up in my favorite ways. Also I think a lot of my favorite tracks heavily feature an Odyssey and I never knew til now.