Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That thing looks like it would be great fun for up to 30-60 minutes before I figure out that I'm never going to be good enough to make anything interesting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would definitely disappear into it for hours. What a dream. Hold on let me check the retail real quick ..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this will be the most fun I have this year if I can find the will to pull the trigger.

The more video content I see on this thing, the more I want one.

I don't know if it will keep you from buying it or make you want it even more, but there's a decent sampler kit made with this synth you can try out:

https://venustheory.gumroad.com/l/solaris

I take no responsibility for your actions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one’s GAS has ever been cured by a sample pack.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

I don't know if it will keep you from buying it or make you want it even more, but there's a decent sampler kit made with this synth you can try out:

https://venustheory.gumroad.com/l/solaris

I take no responsibility for your actions.

That seems like a gateway drug to wanting the real, hard poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

That seems like a gateway drug to wanting the real, hard poo poo.

c'mon kid just try a little, you'll like it

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/teh-walkins/s-dvGjKHnUCnW?si=8e930f224b3544b7acbbf1f1a0a53a67

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

For real, the most fun I've had over the past year has been with a drum machine made with eurorack modules. Grids is the number one value module for me. The Erica synths drum mixer is surprisingly great too (aux send, and onboard compressor ftw)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

withak posted:

That thing looks like it would be great fun for up to 30-60 minutes before I figure out that I'm never going to be good enough to make anything interesting on it.

when if I buy one it will be from somewhere with a 30 day policy if possible, but preordering direct from them looks like probably the best thing to do unless I can catch them in stock at Detroit Modular, which looks iffy. (It would also save $200 because of their infinite 10% off codes that almost never are product locked).

If I had one of these and liked it as much as I'd hope to, I could see getting rid of my Hydrasynth 49. I love it but it's huge and I'm a bad pianist so I could do fine with a used desktop model at 1/2 the price or less. The main thing I like about it is thick drone patches or just floating on pads, so solar42 covers a lot of what I use it for even if it's a totally different animal.

In the meantime I guess I can go make hydrasynth drone loops and patch them into LZX. that sounds like a fun hour before I have to go do family stuff....

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

withak posted:

No one’s GAS has ever been cured by a sample pack.

Idk I bought the samples from mars everything pack years ago and now my MPC is all the drum machines.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Samples from mars has a yearly sale where you can get everything in their catalogue for like $40

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
It looks sick. Do be careful with your finances though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

i have one of the coveted m8 tracker v2 preorders. hopefully it ships before my cross country trip this summer

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dang, the make noise strega is great for noisy, metallic, haunting sounds. You can do all the nasty sound tricks on it: FM, RM, feedback to the point it has several normalled internal feedback paths, touch points to patch feedback with your body, and patch points for cables. You can drive everything at audio rates.
In this patch, I had a couple other oscillators mixed together, one of them following in sync mode, all tuned to unison with the strega. I took the triangle out of the strega, put it through a folder, and vca with a snappy envelope to FM the sync'd oscillator, and fed the external oscillators through a mixer and filter/vca combo with a longer envelope into the audio input of the strega, and a copy to the vca of the strega to ring modulate.
https://voca.ro/174hytHsuM8k

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

So Math posted:

It looks sick. Do be careful with your finances though.

I'm not but this will just turn into LZX stuff I didn't buy or bought a lot later :laugh:

goin' for the LZX shared system at this point more or less

I just built the last-ever Boing! kit and now I have 12u of Boing! so that each channel of R,G,B video-as-audio has its own pingable LPG.

(sound on) -- the vertical dark bars are a result of filming a CRT with a phone cam, this is why I usually use OBS + BlackMagic 4k.

https://i.imgur.com/mGRPey8.mp4

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

Dang, the make noise strega is great for noisy, metallic, haunting sounds. You can do all the nasty sound tricks on it: FM, RM, feedback to the point it has several normalled internal feedback paths, touch points to patch feedback with your body, and patch points for cables. You can drive everything at audio rates.
In this patch, I had a couple other oscillators mixed together, one of them following in sync mode, all tuned to unison with the strega. I took the triangle out of the strega, put it through a folder, and vca with a snappy envelope to FM the sync'd oscillator, and fed the external oscillators through a mixer and filter/vca combo with a longer envelope into the audio input of the strega, and a copy to the vca of the strega to ring modulate.
https://voca.ro/174hytHsuM8k

Have a Strega arriving something today, wanted one for a long time and Juno in the UK seems to be selling off their stock for about 20% cheaper than elsewhere.

Was just checking the price of the Strega and Juno has the 0-coast for £380 which is £80-100 cheaper than other online UK stores. £365 after asking for a better price in chat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Boody posted:

Have a Strega arriving something today, wanted one for a long time and Juno in the UK seems to be selling off their stock for about 20% cheaper than elsewhere.

Was just checking the price of the Strega and Juno has the 0-coast for £380 which is £80-100 cheaper than other online UK stores. £365 after asking for a better price in chat.

Bought one a while ago and haven't played with it much but seems real great. Really want to get a 0-CTRL to go with it too

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The 0ctrl is great, and the 0coast looks neat, but it doesn't seem to me that it really does anything that I can't do with other gear I already have. The strega has a pretty unique design, as far as I can tell.
It very much embraces the ethos of "make noise"

I had a moment of excitement, followed quickly by disappointment when I learned Cortini was coming to play live nearby, then learned the tickets were long since sold out. Fffffffffff.
Then, I recently saw sonic state do a little interview with him, and the sets were all improvised on a pair of 0ctrls and a pair of stregas. That would have been one hell of a performance to catch.
Silver lining is that the sets were all recorded to be released later.
Oops ramble. I came here to share this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOzrCakLMc

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Alright I'm enjoying this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEoj8yLfl0

This is all LZX, all the audio. I hosed with DWO3's different modes to see which did and did not have audible frequency tracking, then sequenced it with Rene2 and enveloped it with quadrax. Zero other cleanup on the audio, it's just the straight sine output from DWO3, and the background drone is the entire unfiltered unprocessed video stream (R,G,B mixed into a single channel on a second quadVCA).

The sine sounds sine-y in this mode, the sawtooth sounds downright nasty, I think there's a lot of potential here and also I used that oscillator to drive every piece of modulation happening inside of LZX. Doing things this way you don't have to find ways to make your video responsive, you have to find sweet spots of video VCO output that are listenable and then try to do useful visual things with the output.

Fuckin' weird poo poo man

e: also ZeroScope is pretty good, it obviously doesn't track frequency on every video mode correctly but it goes way outside audible ranges.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thats frickin crunchy, I love it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

Thats frickin crunchy, I love it
That's the pure sine

here's all 4 waveforms, if you want crunchy I think #3 and #4 here (chainsaw and square) will be even more up your alley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8Zzu-d4FM

it's an interesting concept to just use these to poop out audio. It imposes a lot of limitations on pitch ranges and on how the video is being rendered. Complex feedback loops seem very possible which should lead to very weird sorts of unpredictable feedback loops that might be bent towards generative purposes.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Can you use video oscillators through a mess of dividers, like a TOG? :thunk:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do video oscillators run at the frequency of the light produced? I, knowing nothing of the art, might have assumed it all ran at a fixed 60Hz?
Seems confusing, expIensive, and ooooooh pretty.

I discovered that I could doot with Plateau as the sound source. It's tunable, and can respond to pitch CV!
LPGs and messy delays added after for taming/scrambling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFR0UozMSCo
I'm very pleased with my sound design for the kick and "snare" on this one. They came out quite nice.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Alright I'm enjoying this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEoj8yLfl0

This is all LZX, all the audio. I hosed with DWO3's different modes to see which did and did not have audible frequency tracking, then sequenced it with Rene2 and enveloped it with quadrax. Zero other cleanup on the audio, it's just the straight sine output from DWO3, and the background drone is the entire unfiltered unprocessed video stream (R,G,B mixed into a single channel on a second quadVCA).

The sine sounds sine-y in this mode, the sawtooth sounds downright nasty, I think there's a lot of potential here and also I used that oscillator to drive every piece of modulation happening inside of LZX. Doing things this way you don't have to find ways to make your video responsive, you have to find sweet spots of video VCO output that are listenable and then try to do useful visual things with the output.

Fuckin' weird poo poo man

e: also ZeroScope is pretty good, it obviously doesn't track frequency on every video mode correctly but it goes way outside audible ranges.

Richie Hawtin has been working on integrating his live lighting rig and other parts of his set to his banks of modulators and posting updates across his various socials. Might be something you're interested in

https://youtube.com/shorts/j5jfDmwc43w?si=8f4Ya_KnkpQojMjM

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Richie Hawtin has been working on integrating his live lighting rig and other parts of his set to his banks of modulators and posting updates across his various socials. Might be something you're interested in

https://youtube.com/shorts/j5jfDmwc43w?si=8f4Ya_KnkpQojMjM

thanks this wasn't on my radar, that's rad

B33rChiller posted:

Do video oscillators run at the frequency of the light produced? I, knowing nothing of the art, might have assumed it all ran at a fixed 60Hz?
Seems confusing, expIensive, and ooooooh pretty.

It's a lot more complicated than I thought, you have multiple frequency bands with meaningful data in the 20hz-10mhz range. Actual visible light is apparently "400–790 terahertz", so we're not getting close to that :laugh: -- also, R G & B streams are totally interchangeable, and if you plug a composite signal into an R G or B input and then try to decode it you will get a grayscale version of the composite image.

So, we have a bunch of different data in audible and inaudible ranges. Horizontal bars seem to have a substantial audible pitch range, in addition to all the inaudible poo poo they pump out.

This stuff is measured in IRE which is a multiplier to mV to reflect that all video is in the 0-1v range, I think.

quote:

The numbers in the formula for the ATSC symbol rate in 6 MHz systems are related to
NTSC scanning and color frequencies. Because of this relationship, the symbol clock can be
used as a basis for generating an NTSC color subcarrier for analog output from a set top box.
The repetition rates of data segments and data frames are deliberately chosen not to have an
integer relationship to NTSC or PAL scanning rates, to insure that there will be no discernible
pattern in co-channel interference.
The particular numbers used are:
• 4.5 MHz = the center frequency of the audio carrier offset in NTSC. This number was
traditionally used in NTSC literature to derive the color subcarrier frequency and scanning
rates. In modern equipment, this may start with a precision 10 MHz reference, which is then
multiplied by 9/20.
• 4.5 MHz/286 = the horizontal scan rate of NTSC, 15734.2657+...Hz (note that the color
subcarrier is 455/2 times this, or 3579545 +5/11 Hz).
• 684: this multiplier gives a symbol rate for an efficient use of bandwidth in 6 MHz. It
requires a filter with Nyquist roll-off that is a fairly sharp cutoff (11 percent excess
bandwidth), which is still realizable with a reasonable surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter or
digital filter.
The complexity is way over my head but I can jam probes into a scope and look at poo poo and jam video VCOs into ES-9 and see what they sound like in different modes. Inshallah.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 12, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Moelodyne with videotape.
That really is some confusing stuff.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been thinking of getting a groovebox for a while, and ended up going for the Circuit Tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/03-12-2024a

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Posted by Donner
Mar 12, 2024

View on Kickstarter
Dear MEDO backers,

We are excited to update you on the progress of Donner MEDO. Our recent achievements include the following top three improvements:

● Enhanced Application Communication:
We've optimized the communication within the application, improving the device control experience.

● Precise Gyroscope Calibration:
Our gyroscope calibration ensures accurate performance, making MEDO suitable for various scenarios like stage performances and music creation. This enhancement provides a delightful and efficient music experience.

● Resolved Touch Sound Delay:
Users will now enjoy a smoother and more immediate tactile feedback experience with the resolution of the touch sound delay issue.

Currently, we are focusing on optimizing the LOOPER function. We are synchronizing it with the app's status to achieve real-time visualization of operations. This effort aims to create a more intuitive inspiration record for users through the application.

Thank you for your support and stay tuned for more updates.

:laugh:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

I just noticed their original timeline had project initiated in Apr 2022 and product testing in Apr 2022 but designing and prototyping in July 2022.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Boody posted:

I just noticed their original timeline had project initiated in Apr 2022 and product testing in Apr 2022 but designing and prototyping in July 2022.

these updates are like git commit logs

it makes me want to see their git commit logs

this is a lot of trouble to be going through to not actually deliver anything but we'll see (looking vaguely at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends/faqs and laughing; that company is gone now and they delivered 7 out of 24 funded projects) -- Donner is not a tiny rear end kickstarter company, Donner appears to have 500+ employees across 3 global locations and ARR in the 1-5million range? They have only existed since 2009 and I'd describe their overall product lineup as between "definitely not for me" (big rear end music workstations) and "okay, sure, but, weird and also why?" (their 303 clone).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 14, 2024

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Donner is the preferred brand of shenzhen pedal cloners, they (like musictribe etc) do excellent cheap and mini versions of classic analog stuff but the rule of thumb w/ those was always the stuff that isn't copyrightable (circuit design, etc) will be virtually identical to the real thing, but anything with software is gonna be a shitshow

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Donner is the preferred brand of shenzhen pedal cloners, they (like musictribe etc) do excellent cheap and mini versions of classic analog stuff but the rule of thumb w/ those was always the stuff that isn't copyrightable (circuit design, etc) will be virtually identical to the real thing, but anything with software is gonna be a shitshow

This makes sense, thanks for the confirmation. They seemed a good choice for a run of the mill drive pedal and patch cables

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

Not sure about worldwide but in Europe they seem to have dropped the cheap/mini pedals to focus on multi-effects and loopers in the $130-$300 range.

The kickstarter is nothing but a list of things not to do. Claim xmas delivery when that was never going to happen, send items out for unboxing 6 months ago, promise updates every 10 days but only actually do that once, tell people they need to go to NAMM or contact support for updates and the biggest own-goal is telling people they can have a refund but still get the device at the early bird price on launch then refuse the refunds.

I picked up a B1 as an xmas present for a friend who has recently retired and was wanting to get back into music (also gave them a keystep, nts-1 and an audio interface). In the UK it seems to be £100 but have a permanent 20% voucher if you buy from Amazon or direct. Other retailers charge more even for b-stock, so likely some dodgy stuff going on there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

This is pretty neat stuff. Bit of reverse enginerding, alt firmware writing, and pretty panel design from the guy who developed the raga and tabla modules in vcv rack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-d8yrNjBlI

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
lmao @ the new ALM Cizzle sounding pretty much the same as the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator and costing $150 more

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

This is pretty neat stuff. Bit of reverse enginerding, alt firmware writing, and pretty panel design from the guy who developed the raga and tabla modules in vcv rack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-d8yrNjBlI

this is awesome and i have a daisy bloom!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have an F7 Bloom. Sad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I sold my Virus TI2 the other day, probably for the last time. It hurt so bad but I needed the money. Then I tiptoed through this thread and saw the goon who bought the Polar 92... that thing turned me on in ways I haven't felt for gear in a while. Unfortunately my work doesn't carry them so I can't get a discount on one, but I am absolutely drooling over it right now.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I sold my Virus TI2 the other day, probably for the last time. It hurt so bad but I needed the money. Then I tiptoed through this thread and saw the goon who bought the Polar 92...

Are you talking about me or did someone else actually buy one of the first batch?

I am planning on preordering one in like 5 days when I have money, which probably means preorders will close in 4 days :allears:

RIP your virus :(

e: I did already buy this shirt. Maybe I'll have it in time to wear it when I preorder :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 16, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Are you talking about me or did someone else actually buy one of the first batch?

I am planning on preordering one in like 5 days when I have money, which probably means preorders will close in 4 days :allears:

RIP your virus :(

e: I did already buy this shirt. Maybe I'll have it in time to wear it when I preorder :laugh:

Lol, You need a midi so you can plug it into computer.
What, you plan on using your fingers? Like a Neanderthal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Freshwater Louie posted:

lmao @ the new ALM Cizzle sounding pretty much the same as the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator and costing $150 more

isnt it 50 dollars more? also the ui for those modules seems fairly different and i prefer a chord knob cause im too stupid for music theory and im used to plaits. the name reminds me of sizzler