Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm thinking of livestreaming. I set up a couple synth stations with cameras and stuff so I can fire 'em up whenever I want. The only thing stopping me is the crippling anxiety.

I tested one of 'em. This was the result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPQfUywA_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

im_sorry posted:

I'm thinking of livestreaming. I set up a couple synth stations with cameras and stuff so I can fire 'em up whenever I want. The only thing stopping me is the crippling anxiety.

I tested one of 'em. This was the result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPQfUywA_E

I would watch that, both for the cool synths but also the cute bird.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nice job. :cheersbird:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

JamesKPolk posted:

multitrack recording is not really all its cracked up to be either unless you're trying to skip a daw (but still want stems???) or have a bunch of interns to do poo poo for you. if you're doing anything w/ faders you only have 2 hands.

I usually do a first pass that just mostly has stuff arranged how I want, and then do a second automation pass just recording fader movement, and then maybe a third pass re-recording 1-2 of the audio lines and re-modulating stuff.

I don't really make music, though, so....

..nice birb stream

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

the stuff that I'd love to make is SNES/PS1-era video game music

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJBlHHDc65fhZmKUGLrDTLCm6rfUU83-kbuD8Y0zU0o/edit#gid=1570468977

PS1 is CD audio, so anything could've been used.

SNES has its own sample-based soundchip and I can't recommend https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-sfc.html enough.

You can load up a file from https://www.zophar.net/music/nintendo-snes-spc into it, the plugin can capture the samples used, so you can play whatever you want.

edit: like this - https://vocaroo.com/1hviu2qJ38mx excuse the lovely playing and unimaginative harmony

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 28, 2024

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3uKwy8GqXg

not even patching audio today. yet anyway

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

saying "PS1 is CD audio" is a bit of a misnomer. it's true that PS1 games could play back CD quality music and there are plenty of games that did utilize that, most games still used sequenced sountracks and the PS1 had a soundchip to handle that. also while anything could've been used that still only applies to things available to the composers. that might be an obvious statement but what it entails isn't. a lot of PS1 (and N64) soundtracks are mainly built on sequenced one-shot samples recorded from workhorse synths and romplers, and ripped from sample CDs, in addition to things like breakbeats and the occasional live instruments.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

symphony of the night best psx soundtrack??

Joking mention of N2O which had a soundtrack made with the best technology available to The Crystal Method

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
N2O was fuckin' great and supported my weird-rear end NegCon twist controller. And yeah the soundtrack was just cuts from Vegas but goddamn what an album that was, and I don't even care for big beat much.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

this is a big beat respectin' thread

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe9vdnNQAhc

listen to this until you've learned to love it

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Do any of you have any advice, or better than that can point me to some resources on how to make a good synth bass drum patch fit well into a mix, not get in the way of the bass but also still be present enough to drive the beat etc?

I am going back to a song I hadn’t quite finished before I got my hardware synths, and everything was done except the drum sounds. I tried three or four different things which I didn’t like and then went back to Microtonic, which I hadn’t used for a while.

Microtonic feels really nice to me now since I’ve been working on patching synth stuff from scratch and have more experience than last time I used it. But while I’m happy with the bass drum sounds I can make, I’m not thrilled with how it sits in the mix. It’s either too boomy and takes up too much space fighting the bass, or too quiet to do its job effectively.

This seems like a changing thing based on what the bass patch is doing in each song and the eq range it is filling, and the bass drum patch should work around this. But I’m not really sure what the workflow is to diagnose this, and how to get reliably from “I have a good bass drum patch” to “I really like how this bass drum sits in the mix and compliments the bass patch”.

There are a good amount of videos that talk about patching bass drums but I don’t know who to trust.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Good question. I'd be interested in learning the same.
One way to avoid that is to start with the kick, and build the rest of the track around that.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

watho posted:

this is a big beat respectin' thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkdRG7MQm4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the two main approaches to make room for the bass drum is sidechaining and/or aggressive filtering to keep instruments from overlapping. Or both!

Have you tried both of those and still not been satisfied?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the "easiest" way of making sure that your kick and bass play nice is gonna be sidechaining but it's really easy to overdo and not always the vibe you're looking for. if you take care and make sure your bass and kick are in tune and in phase that will get you most of the way there but i know that can be a lot easier said than done. sometimes you need to kill your darlings a little and do some EQ cuts on the bass to give the kick some frequency space to breathe. some fancy plugins lets you do that dynamically with a sidechain input but they're usually quite expensive

watho
Aug 2, 2013

wipeout ftw

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You can use an envelope to creatively duck gain

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't develop and judge sounds in isolation that won't be heard in isolation. Also you can have multiple kick variations throughout.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks everyone, I will mess around with it tonight and take that all into consideration. I guess I’ve been lazy since usually if I’m sidechaining it’s just for ducking, but I can see how using it subtly might help. Usually I do have the bass and drum sounds done at the same time, but I had gotten distracted on this since it was all synth plugins and then I got hardware and left this behind before finishing setting up the drum sounds (though at that time I would have been preset surfing drum sounds instead of trying to make them so maybe that’s why I’m hitting this issue now). It’s the last thing that needs to be done though so I want to finish it before getting back to the fun hardware stuff.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooh, all those suggestions helped me remember something I've started doing to help is to shorten up the decay on the kick, and not have it taking up so much time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if you're truly dedicated to the loudness wars you can do the whole thing where you ring mod the bass to a rectified version of your drums and phase invert it to carve out an exact hole for your drums to sit in so you never have to fear going below 0db at any point

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

watho posted:

the "easiest" way of making sure that your kick and bass play nice is gonna be sidechaining but it's really easy to overdo and not always the vibe you're looking for. if you take care and make sure your bass and kick are in tune and in phase that will get you most of the way there but i know that can be a lot easier said than done. sometimes you need to kill your darlings a little and do some EQ cuts on the bass to give the kick some frequency space to breathe. some fancy plugins lets you do that dynamically with a sidechain input but they're usually quite expensive

I'm just a neanderthal but was gonna comment that I have been experimenting with percussive synced basslines lately, and I have just been using a Moog m32 for basslines, clocked with a kick drum coming from Unicorn Boom, and then the mother32 going into the sidechain input on unicorn boom.

This seems to work quite well and you could do the same thing easily enough without the ponybutt module.

If a patch is set up in this way, in (for sake of argument) a 4-to-the-floor arrangement, it's also easy to get subtle-but-big-feeling-changes by having either the kick or the bass switch from 4-4 to every 2nd beat for a few bars, and I have found that keeping the bass but dropping the drum to every 2nd beat, then every 4th, then letting the drum go and unchaining the bass to climb into higher registers, can make a fun transition.

watho posted:

if you're truly dedicated to the loudness wars you can do the whole thing where you ring mod the bass to a rectified version of your drums and phase invert it to carve out an exact hole for your drums to sit in so you never have to fear going below 0db at any point

I'm a lot more afraid I'll never understand what any of this means. I know how ring mods work and sort of understand phase inversion but rectification sounds like something I'd have a doctor do to scan me for rear end cancer.

In other weird news: look at this loving thing.

quote:

with the heart of a video synthesizer and the brain of a videogame console, ming mecca is the first of its kind: an ontological toy, a videogame easel, and a love letter to all things retrofuture. designed for use in eurorack format synthesizers but built to meet the demands of even the most seasoned micro-galactic interlopers, ming mecca modules will take your rig where no rig has gone before.

the world core is the centerpiece of the ming mecca system. by combining a tile-based complex digital video synthesizer with a videogame collision and physics engine, it allows graphical videogame environments to be constructed and manipulated with control voltage. turn off gravity at the flick of a switch, or scroll through seasons at the turn of a knob. populate your world with exotic creatures, then modulate their identities with random voltage. set objects in motion and use their collision to trigger cosmological events elsewhere in your modular. experiment with quantum position, step sequence destructible terrain, and patch wormholes into parallel dimensions.

the world core's assets are easily replaceable via a hot-swappable cartridge system. create your own palettes, tile maps, and bitmaps in our intuitive text-based world pack format. then save them to an sd card, reset the world core, and watch as your creations come to life as the raw matter of new alien worlds. attach a custom config file to your world pack and unlock hidden collision options, special color modes, and more. you can even personalize the boot screen with your own logo.

Super dumb, kinda want? Ability to easily load own art assets, plus my large-and-swelling LZX rig, makes me want it more....

Look at this bullshit. Yes, they have an expansion module that lets you use an NES controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ay74S34XI&t=49s

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJBlHHDc65fhZmKUGLrDTLCm6rfUU83-kbuD8Y0zU0o/edit#gid=1570468977

PS1 is CD audio, so anything could've been used.

SNES has its own sample-based soundchip and I can't recommend https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-sfc.html enough.

You can load up a file from https://www.zophar.net/music/nintendo-snes-spc into it, the plugin can capture the samples used, so you can play whatever you want.

edit: like this - https://vocaroo.com/1hviu2qJ38mx excuse the lovely playing and unimaginative harmony

This is awesome, thanks!

Ended up pulling the trigger on the keystep 37. Was supposed to get here yesterday but now just says that it's on its way. Excited to get to playing around with all of this. Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

some fancy plugins lets you do that dynamically with a sidechain input but they're usually quite expensive

lotsa good free options for this now including TDR Nova

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm a lot more afraid I'll never understand what any of this means. I know how ring mods work and sort of understand phase inversion but rectification sounds like something I'd have a doctor do to scan me for rear end cancer.

rectifying just means taking the positive polarity of a wave and turning it negative. so for example the easiest way of explaining it without a visual aide, if you rectify a sine wave it ends up looking like an upside down m. super easy to do with any given waveshaper

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

, if you rectify a sine wave it ends up looking like an upside down m.

Also known as a w

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

tylertfb posted:

Also known as a w

A uu?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

tylertfb posted:

Also known as a w

a w is a rectified triangle wave you fool, you absolute buffoon

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Super dumb, kinda want? Ability to easily load own art assets, plus my large-and-swelling LZX rig, makes me want it more....

Look at this bullshit. Yes, they have an expansion module that lets you use an NES controller.

I love that’s it named Ming Mecca like the microchip from the movie Pi. If any Eurorack gear could discover the numerical name of God this looks like the best candidate.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

duck.exe posted:

I love that’s it named Ming Mecca like the microchip from the movie Pi. If any Eurorack gear could discover the numerical name of God this looks like the best candidate.
Good reference, that escaped me.

it's mentally competing with Fumama for the $1000 I definitely do not have :laugh:

seems even less practical so it's got that going for it.

I have a burned copy of Pi sitting here, I should do Weird Video Things with it.

(I have like 100 burned DVDs from the 18 month time period in college where that was a practical workflow)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What the gently caress lol this thing is so incomprehensible and weird but I absolutely love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Looks like sprite graphics meets cv controls. Go make a 2d game first then get into the sequencing stuff imo

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

First module I bought, along with the Control Core. Knew about it years before I finally plunged into Eurorack. Now have two. YMMV.

WRT the HW, the Ming Mecca (both World Core and Control Core) schematics and Ming Micro gerbers, etc. are open too, BTW. Folks have built their own.

I feel like I'm going the opposite way into Euro visual stuff from you, in some sense. I still haven't plunged into any LZX gear, but I have a number of other visual bits and pieces, most non-Eurorack though.

(Now if I can just get another Oscillographic Block...)

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

minidracula posted:

I feel like I'm going the opposite way into Euro visual stuff from you, in some sense

I think I'm mostly collecting strange machines at this point tbqh

I do have a Ribbons showing up today, the only other other LZX piece I really want is FKG3 for chromakey silliness, and those won't be in stock for a while. I suppose I'd need angles and scrolls to round out gen3 but I am not in a hurry.

Maybe we'll see a MemPal2 on the gen3 hardware by 2030 :laugh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
GAS POST

I would love to pick something up that is polyphonic, battery powered and has its own keyboard. Just turn on and play some fun funky chords. What's the threads general consensus on the Hydrasynth Explorer?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My brain says you’re looking for an OP-1 or Yamaha PSS-A50.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

roland boutiques w/ the keyboard show up for under $300 all the time. they're like actually portable, toss in a bag and forget about them and if AA batteries are a problem they work great off power packs

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

snorch posted:

The reason I bought a synth was that I had one of these and enjoyed it for playing in the sitting room w/headphones or whilst watching abit of TV - until I let my toddler play it and it broke.

..it was very funny setting it to arpeggio mode and letting him hammer the keys.

But after that broke I knew I enjoyed the keyboard aspect and thought it might be fun to add more options and ended up with a second hand minilogue xd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

snorch posted:

I actually loved my OP-1. Then the Field came out and had features I suddenly couldn't live without like multiple projects and USB C audio but it also has a bug that would factory reset the device 1/1000 times you power it on. The first time that one hit I got seriously butt hurt, then they said they patched it, it happened again and I sold it.

JamesKPolk posted:

roland boutiques w/ the keyboard show up for under $300 all the time. they're like actually portable, toss in a bag and forget about them and if AA batteries are a problem they work great off power packs

Yeah probably something like this. I have a Grandmother that I love but I want something polyphonic without shelling out another grand.