Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yamaha has a few synths with that same key bed. The reface cs is funky, it doesn’t have an arp tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well shoot I looked at and now want the little Roland AIRA J-6. It has an arpeggiator and chord sequencer for 199 bones.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
anything is portable with a small battery pack these days. I have a not so small one that can run 140u and a mixer for 5 hrs :laugh:

hydrasynth explorer doesn't have any sequencing or recording or anything, is that not a concern?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i saw a pretty cool looking tiny portable poly the other day and then i saw that it only had a single digital oscillator with two wave shapes and it cost almost a grand and i just laughed and moved on with my life

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Well shoot I looked at and now want the little Roland AIRA J-6. It has an arpeggiator and chord sequencer for 199 bones.

The new AIRA series are pretty good, and fantastic value for the money.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

watho posted:

i saw a pretty cool looking tiny portable poly the other day and then i saw that it only had a single digital oscillator with two wave shapes and it cost almost a grand and i just laughed and moved on with my life

Was it the “virtual analog” with noisy af keyboard keys for note entry and white on white text? That thing was popping up all over my feed for a few days. Watched one of the videos and it was just shilling.

It’s the perfect social media synth though. It should come with some succulents.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What synth are you guys talking about lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Vongon something or other

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Trig Discipline posted:

The new AIRA series are pretty good, and fantastic value for the money.

The one I suddenly want is in stock at a store 10 minutes away ugh.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

https://youtu.be/Z0UmXBS2zJE?si=97SQzUVPJu-CzxKG

After tax and shipping it’s about 1k for a VST in a box where you have a mini usb in TYOOL 2024, “virtual analog” somehow restricted to two waveforms in box with one oscillator, white text on a white body etc.

This was the video I saw and the funniest part was where her friend said the reason to get it (iirc) wasn’t the sound or features but so that people would ask you what it was when you used it lol this was after they swapped out the key switches trying to reduce the amount of clicking they made.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it's just so funny to me to make a digital clone of a juno and then not put a chorus on it. like yes the juno chorus is remembered for being great but what you need to know is that it exists because the juno is extremely basic without it. also the juno has a sub oscillator or at least the alpha juno does

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Keys are debatable but there is always the Volca FM 2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

help i've fallen back into the trap of looking up the used prices of vintage rackmount synths and romplers again. i've caught myself thinking "oh that's cheaper than i thought". i don't think i have much time left

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

watho posted:

it's just so funny to me to make a digital clone of a juno and then not put a chorus on it. like yes the juno chorus is remembered for being great but what you need to know is that it exists because the juno is extremely basic without it. also the juno has a sub oscillator or at least the alpha juno does

the modwiggler thread on this is universally negative which is unusual

usually someone want buy & stan thing

favorite comment:

quote:

It seems like this would appeal to those looking to create aesthetically pleasing gear layouts for instagram ambient jams.

e: also it's only one waveform. And one ADSR.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rolo posted:

The one I suddenly want is in stock at a store 10 minutes away ugh.

reface DS is on sale for 299

reface DX for 250 @ sweetwater

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

god drat it i do NOT need a reface DS lolmbo

edit: correct, I do not. If I didn't have an opsix I might snap up a DX at that price though. Granted, I got my opsix for tree fiddy and that still seems like a much better buy than a DX at 250 but those are gone and the opsix is big. Big enough I spent another $200 on the TallDog case for it that got rid of the keybed :laugh:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 2, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

reface DS is on sale for 299

reface DX for 250 @ sweetwater

Oh man!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

watho posted:

help i've fallen back into the trap of looking up the used prices of vintage rackmount synths and romplers again. i've caught myself thinking "oh that's cheaper than i thought". i don't think i have much time left

Did you watch the Red Means Recording video on ROMplers too? I enjoyed it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

net work error posted:

Did you watch the Red Means Recording video on ROMplers too? I enjoyed it

i did but i've had the urge for longer than that. ever since i listened to my first ambient jungle track and thought to myself "i wonder how they managed to get that textural complexity with relatively primitive synthesizers" ever since i first heard the preset that got sampled in the dire dire docks music. ever since i wondered how they made the pianos sound like that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The DX checks all the boxes of what I was looking for but it would be my first FM synth. Realistically, how hard is it to make a sound that isn't just noise?

Edit: Maybe I'll spend the extra 50 on the CS...?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 2, 2024

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m glad the reface cp isn’t on sale because I’ve been trying to convince myself I don’t need one of those for a while.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Rolo posted:

The DX checks all the boxes of what I was looking for but it would be my first FM synth. Realistically, how hard is it to make a sound that isn't just noise?

It is very doable - actually being able to see your envelopes helps a lot, and there are plenty of presets on Reface DX Legacy Project to draw inspiration from.

The one downside is that the touchbars don't really lend themselves to editing sounds while playing (but you can get around that by using the Ctrlr panel to design the presets on PC instead).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I really want the organ version of the Reface, but it is stupid expensive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ordered the DX.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

i did but i've had the urge for longer than that. ever since i listened to my first ambient jungle track and thought to myself "i wonder how they managed to get that textural complexity with relatively primitive synthesizers" ever since i first heard the preset that got sampled in the dire dire docks music. ever since i wondered how they made the pianos sound like that

eric pershing the goat

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rolo posted:

Ordered the DX.

watching the videos of the two, I came to the conclusion that I personally don't really want a CS, but, if I didn't have my FM pretty well covered with OpSix (and e352 and it's amazing 2 operators*, ha) then I would have been very tempted there.

* This isn't really throwing shade, it's a phenomenal piece of hardware and the fact it has an FM mode at all is just icing

in other news -- WE HAVE VIDEO THAT CLAIMS TO BE AN ACTUAL MEDO

Donner posted:

Dear MEDO backers,

Thank you for your continued interest in the Medo project. Our product is now in beta. This update uses mobile devices to record communication debugging videos between MEDO and Medo Synth. We look forward to meeting you and using Medo products in the future.

https://youtube.com/shorts/z9AD3o4YHKo?feature=share
Thanks again for the support

Donner MedoTeam

That UI could all be template bullshit that does nothing but if it's not they might actually be headed towards something that seems like an okay deal for $150.... oh christ am I actually expressing optimism about this thing, at this point in the game? :laugh:

Edit: why is donner expressing hope that they will "use medo products in the future"? They have a substantial US based presence there is no reason this stuff is so badly localized :laugh:

rio posted:

I’m glad the reface cp isn’t on sale because I’ve been trying to convince myself I don’t need one of those for a while.

I might have struggled with that as well just because it seems to be mostly regarded as the best of the three.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 3, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I found it! I found why you need a MIDI !

https://www.pcgamer.com/hardware/how-i-turned-my-midi-instruments-into-the-ultimate-rhythm-game-controllers/

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Rolo posted:

Ordered the DX.

I own the Reface DX(love it) and the J6(love and hate it), while they are almost total opposites I think you made the right choice.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i have used my mpk mini to play BMS before i bought a proper beatmania iidx controller. it works pretty well

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The DX is soooo coooool for 250 bones, got drat.

The CloudPad preset is giving me serious EarthBound vibes and I adore it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-554457753/reface-dx-cloudpad?in=richardplamondon%2Fsets%2Fyamaha-reface-dx-1

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

in other news -- WE HAVE VIDEO THAT CLAIMS TO BE AN ACTUAL MEDO

Strangely they did send out some out 5-6 months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piAPHf7ItXk

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sometimes patience pays off; MakeNoise XPO has been on my literal PerfectCircuit Wish List for like 15 months and I've looked at them on Reverb a bunch, never seen one below 310 + ship

Just got a demo/B-stock from PC for 289 shipped :bow:

Boody posted:

Strangely they did send out some out 5-6 months ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piAPHf7ItXk

I heard that these units didn't actually work and all the unboxing vids were non-functional units and that's why we don't have a bunch of followup media of people doing literally anything musical with them.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

I heard that these units didn't actually work and all the unboxing vids were non-functional units and that's why we don't have a bunch of followup media of people doing literally anything musical with them.

I know Stephen/AllMyFriendsAreSynths was pretty open about his not being usable/updatable because he uses OS X and Donner never got back to him with a fix. I know red dot awards are paid for but Donner talking about a non functional product having already won a design award is some next level poo poo. I am concerned that 3 people have replied positively to the most recent update.

In positive kickstarter news, received a hardback and spiral bound copy of Allen Strange's Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls a couple of weeks back and been very impressed with the quality.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Boody posted:

I know Stephen/AllMyFriendsAreSynths was pretty open about his not being usable/updatable because he uses OS X and Donner never got back to him with a fix. I know red dot awards are paid for but Donner talking about a non functional product having already won a design award is some next level poo poo.
we just need a synth world equivilent of the unbuilt design award for architecture and all these projects will finally have a place to go

for example this is a thing I'd pay $500+ for pretty easily if it existed and worked but I think it was just a "take $15k and run" indiegogo.

Suspiciously similar to that squarepusher video from lately, too :laugh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this the part where I whine about what a clusterfuck it is to configure or update firmware on a Korg nanokey using a windows computer? Even the big companies can be clowns when it comes to selling stuff that works.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Is this the part where I whine about what a clusterfuck it is to configure or update firmware on a Korg nanokey using a windows computer? Even the big companies can be clowns when it comes to selling stuff that works.

I accidentally installed korg usb driver last month and discovered that it will still gently caress up your windows registry.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
So is this Donner thing closer to a Microgranny or a SP404?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

W424 posted:

I accidentally installed korg usb driver last month and discovered that it will still gently caress up your windows registry.
Hrm. What did it do?

I have a version of it installed and I don't recall/haven't noticed badness, but I probably installed it quite a while ago now. I should poke around and see.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Wrageowrapper posted:

So is this Donner thing closer to a Microgranny or a SP404?

My understanding is that it's kind of like the artiphon orba but with the ability to sample directly, more pads, etc. With the lack of info, it might just be a box of flashing lights that randomly makes fart noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
It takes like ten minutes to transfer one wavetable from midi control center to the microfreak lol software blows