Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thank you for reminding me to listen to Jeff Mills today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Where are good places these days to source Eurorack rail hardware if I want to build my own case? I remember people ITT saying there were a couple of Etsy shops that supply that kind of thing these days.

And similar question for power, are there preferred busboards for powering Euro cases? Or are power modules preferred these days, and if so, what's good?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I ended up selling my Grids because it felt like I was constantly trying to dial it in to do poo poo that was just easier to program in like Steppy or something. I'm not a very good drum programmer but at least with the programming I could say "hmmm, I don't like that, what if I moved the snare over here" whereas with algorithmic trigger sequencers who knows what'll happen when you turn a knob.

trying to use tempi for drums inevitably leads me to wanting multiple logic modules in the mix and suddenly I feel like I'm (poorly) doing a programming exercise from college.

Eurorack has pushed me to practical application of all the EE and boolean stuff I glossed over in college and have solved professionally with Someone Else's Libraries And Frameworks

MockingQuantum posted:

Where are good places these days to source Eurorack rail hardware if I want to build my own case? I remember people ITT saying there were a couple of Etsy shops that supply that kind of thing these days.

And similar question for power, are there preferred busboards for powering Euro cases? Or are power modules preferred these days, and if so, what's good?

modularsynthlab.com is good for rails. they also sell power, it's fine, I have it in a couple racks. I like the rails from https://studioracks.co.uk/ better because they will pre-assemble them all for you at whatever length, though -- the modularsynthlab ones I got have plastic ends that are a bit more fidgety. Also, I think sliding nuts suck unless you really need them for some weird sized thing.

Trogotronic is my current fetish for busboards and power, though. Getcha self 10a, why the gently caress not.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 16, 2024

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

MockingQuantum posted:

Mouser or Digikey search for Vector Rail TS169 (for 84HP rail sections, I've never been able to find anything longer that isn't from a euro reseller). The harder thing to find is nut strips. I haven't found a good direct source for those yet, so that's like a Thonk/Synthcube thing. You can just use loose M3 square nuts, although I personally hate them.

AI Synthesis here in Portland does DIY or prebuilt busboards that are reasonably priced and seem to be solid. Haven't fried anything in my case at least! Also, Abe is a good dude. He has some power supply units too, but I think those are for smaller systems. If you need something larger, the Meanwell RT65b is pretty standard for DIY cases. I'm running two of those in my larger box. You can order those from Mouser as well.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

trying to use tempi for drums inevitably leads me to wanting multiple logic modules in the mix and suddenly I feel like I'm (poorly) doing a programming exercise from college.

Eurorack has pushed me to practical application of all the EE and boolean stuff I glossed over in college and have solved professionally with Someone Else's Libraries And Frameworks

Yeah, when I'm patching up a bunch of rotating clock dividers and logic modules to try to get the drums to do what I want it just feels like much more complicated drum programming. A fun exercise occasionally but I'd rather select gates on a grid most of the time now.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I picked up a used but excellent condition Arturia KeyLab49 MkII for $180 off craigslist today. Feeling pretty good about it being my first keyboard

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I picked up a used but excellent condition Arturia KeyLab49 MkII for $180 off craigslist today. Feeling pretty good about it being my first keyboard

Nice, I always thought those looked real nice and if my uses weren't more CV intensive I would have looked harder. I have been consistently happy with Arturia stuff, it's solidly made and the drivers and software has all worked well unlike Korg and a bunch of complex whiney eurorack poo poo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well dang. I had to go and stumble across a beatstep pro listed for the price of a volca.
Guess I'm on the step now too.
This was listed right next to the beatstep in the "musical instruments" section of fb marketplace.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I have a Keylab 61, I like it a lot. It works really well with the Analog Lab suite and Pigments, which also own. I'd recommend looking into those if you don't already have them. I don't do DAW stuff enough to say whether it's an ideal Ableton controller or whatever but it's worked great for what little I do there.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
FYI for anybody who doesn't know, most major soft synths can be paid monthly same as cash through Splice. So Pigments 5 is 9.99/20 months and you can start using it on day one

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
If I can't afford to be irresponsible in one lump sum I can't afford to be irresponsible for almost two years.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

analog lab is like the best use of micro transactions in a piece of software. it's let me gently caress around with the computer less and play music more

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Arms_Akimbo posted:

FYI for anybody who doesn't know, most major soft synths can be paid monthly same as cash through Splice. So Pigments 5 is 9.99/20 months and you can start using it on day one

It's a good setup for synths that never go on sale (Serum...), but Pigments regularly goes on sale for $99 and even less for owners of other Arturia products.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Some angel made a Max patch to bring my Virus back into the new century

https://2855896613011.gumroad.com/l/plbyux

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Youtube threw this guy in my feed and it's the wildest mix of weird experimental electronic music. The crazy part to me is this is a prolific channel with what must be almost a thousand tracks, and they almost all have low double digit views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQpDHJ7v5w

https://www.youtube.com/@rupertxaviauchelford-west4929/videos

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Posted by Donner
Apr 18, 2024

View on Kickstarter
Dear MEDO backers,

● At this stage, we're primarily focused on conducting internal testing of software functionalities for MEDO CONTROL (the app side, offering visual operation control) and MEDO SYNTH (the PC side, providing custom sound adjustment). This allows users to operate more intuitively and conveniently,and at the same time they can modulate their favorite tone.

Please continue to pay attention to our products, we will update you in time!

I will continue to pay attention to your product, please update me in time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the dude is prolifically active, spans a fairly broad sonic territory, has been doing this for like 15 years and somehow has. less Youtube followers than I do, despite clearly being a talented "real musician".

To be fair, my follows doubled (to 54 lol) when I started posting LZX stuff because that's such a small niche weird community of Interested Persons. So this guy should add some analog viz and he'd have 100 followers, in no time!! :allears:

Yea I can't imagine how anyone does this poo poo as a primary source of income at this point, it's even more mind boggling than my father making pottery by hand for 35 years and somehow making that work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube doesn't make uploaders money anymore, it's purely to get eyeballs on your stuff so people pay you for other things.

Sure make google a bunch of money though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've got enough gear that uses 1/8" jacks for MIDI I/O at this point that I'm wondering, is there such a thing as a MIDI thru box that takes a standard 5-pin DIN MIDI cable, but where the outputs are 1/8" jacks? I'd love something like that, and I'd think it exists, but google isn't producing any results that seem to do what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just using the wrong search terms, anybody know of a box like that?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you can make a box like that out of a regular 5 pin din midi box and 1/8'' jacks

you could make nice 1/8'' to din adapters, stuff them into your thru box, tape them down and bet set

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

you can make a box like that out of a regular 5 pin din midi box and 1/8'' jacks

you could make nice 1/8'' to din adapters, stuff them into your thru box, tape them down and bet set

I'd considered that, I can't imagine a normal MIDI thru is that difficult to make and I'm sure there are schematics out there for it, and the midi to 1/8" pinouts are readily available info... I would want to figure out how to make the 1/8" jacks switchable between type A and type B too, though again, I can't imagine it's hard to make that happen

but also, I'm lazy, so who knows if I'll ever do that

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff

recently built these three lil fellas. a bit miffed about ordering the wrong pot type for the delay no more (hence the mismatching knob) but alas, poo poo still works

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You can't go by YouTube numbers for music. There are bands that sell out 2k cap venues and their tracks have like 30 plays

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvBv4RYGmPY

happy bicycle day for those who celebrate :lsd:

I took my kids to an elaborate Bluey puppet show tonight with actual australian underpaid workers, and I need to clean the basement tomorrow, so this is as close as I'm getting to frying my brain.

I was going to use a sleater kinney sample, "I'm on a roller coaster", that was where I got started with all this, but two hours later I didn't do that and now i need to unpatch this nonsense and sleep, god is great, hail satan

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wish I could find something like that. at least they sell mushrooms at the dispensary now here in nor cal lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A MIRACLE posted:

Wish I could find something like that. at least they sell mushrooms at the dispensary now here in nor cal lol

I know we're in the same county. Tell me where to go.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

i don't think TCC sourcing rules apply here and I don't see anything in the Musician's Lounge that looks like a rules thread which says "please don't use this forum to covertly ship each other vintage synths packed with LSD". And hey, that distribution method at least has some history to it even if it's super clunky to implement.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

shut the gently caress up you're gonna blow our cover

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

i don't think TCC sourcing rules apply here and I don't see anything in the Musician's Lounge that looks like a rules thread which says "please don't use this forum to covertly ship each other vintage synths packed with LSD". And hey, that distribution method at least has some history to it even if it's super clunky to implement.

This is just a feature of buying vintage Buchla though? :confused: https://reverb.com/news/old-potent-lsd-found-on-a-vintage-buchla-red-module

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj9shxAjlaE

being sober isn't stopping me from doing weird poo poo anyway, not that it ever does. Here is more LZX DWO3 as a noise source.

I gotta say, these are sort of fun sounding little chiptune makers, in a few of their modes, and also have some nasty bassy chainsaw outputs if tuned correctly. While I would never encourage buying one as an audio source because it's much less interesting than any given $500 complex oscillator, I think there's a lot of room to use some amount of LZX audio directly inside a broader patch, and sorta be cheating on the visual links that way. If I can get a decent enough drum sound out of it then that avoids using clocked envelopes and followers and poo poo right out of the gate.

Yup :lsd:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

california and oregon are racing towards legal mushrooms while rolling back on decriminalization of meth and heroin. as the world burns and empire crumbles you'll be able to legally get high as gently caress assuming you arent, you know, poor

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
youtube is great if u film what you're doing i find. i really hate promotion or calling my tracks lame stuff like "famous artist type beat" so filming myself perform is my promotion strategy. don't think its great for static thumbnail uploads unless you're already popular

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Me and A MIRACLE are probably neighbors, we've talked about this before, I just wanna know where to go

also I sold my blofeld to get nice open back headphones lol

No.room for physical synths in the current living situation...just my digitakt and then recording cool loops into ableton

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I will go confirm this thing. It’s a dispensary in valley west that supposedly lost their regular license and pivoted to selling the mushroom chocolates but the recent reviews seem like it’s back to normal

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Thank you for your service.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

youtube is great if u film what you're doing i find. i really hate promotion or calling my tracks lame stuff like "famous artist type beat" so filming myself perform is my promotion strategy. don't think its great for static thumbnail uploads unless you're already popular

Are you the super prolific one with the green lighting?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxo615sDg3E

Holiest of days. At my house we'll be patching arps until dawn

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I think I finally found the most ideal setup for where I have to put my stuff. My daughter and I split the dining room table for our computers and she just recently wanted to start playing FFXIV again. So I had to have a way to see my pc monitor to get us playing it together again.

I had only been using my MacBook since I got it a few months ago, with the pc being unused since I switched to Logic and had no space for the monitor until now. I found a tall monitor stand on Amazon that can roll around, realized it had a tray that could fit my laptop and that let me reposition the hardware. Having the Microfreak on top of the midi controller is so nice since I can play both at the same time, and I previously didn’t have a place for the Launchpad (the laptop used to be there). I’d prefer to have the laptop between the monitors, but now I can use the laptop screen as a second monitor and the larger one a primary so it’s really nice for screen space. My midi controller integrates well into Logic so I can do a lot of what I would need for mix monitoring/parameter changing from there.

Hardware synth acquisition is like waaay worse than guitar had ever been for me. I know I’m going to have to make room for more stuff somehow eventually, but here’s what I ended up with. Thank god for cheap Amazon laptop stands; there are 5 of them to hold everything other than the midi controller.

E: also the Microfreak is so loving fun. I don’t know why I didn’t get one before everything else now, but it really adds a lot of possibilities. It’s a bit tough learning the lingo they use for things I’m used to seeing labeled more traditionally, like I still have no idea what the settings mean for the basic oscillators when I just want to change waveforms, but I’ve only had it a couple days. The matrix is especially cool, and I can’t wait to put that vocoder to use.

rio fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 20, 2024

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

Are you the super prolific one with the green lighting?

yes :3 though not prolific enough lately

my synth experience for today: i wore a doepfer t-shirt to a noise show and someone recognized it

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
had a fun improv today

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/jellyday-jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I like it, especially that main bass line thing since it sounds like the type of phrase you can do anything over and have it work.

I was considering if this is “synthesis” or not, but thought it might be interesting and it did have the same kind of feeling as trying to coax a sound I want out of a synth. There’s a vocal plugin I’ve been messing with which self labels as “AI vocals” called Ace Studio. I wanted to test it so took an older song that was meant for just vocals and acoustic guitar, and came up with this.

https://soundcloud.com/theaudiodump/we-grow-like-trees

The reason I’m a little skeptical of it being called AI is because it felt much more like dealing with a soft synth, including some parameters which affect tone. There are presets which they give names (this was “Bianca” at first) and they can be blended to make other sounds. The parameters are things like breath, energy etc. and really change the sound and timbre of the voice.

I don’t really like any of the voices for what I’d choose in a perfect world. This one was most obviously meant for an r&b type sound until I changed all the parameters throughout the song. There are a bunch that are suited to Japanese pop and things like that.

The thing that sucks is the whole thing is in its own app, but it bridges to your daw so at least it synchronizes on playback. It takes its own track in the mixer so you can use audio fx like anything else could.

You can enter midi with the mouse in their interface but instead I found it easier to play in the melody in Logic with my keyboard and exported the midi to their app instead, which feels a lot better than mousing it all in. After you have the melody, you assign words to each note and it can automatically spread multisyllabic words through several notes, which is nice.

It seems to have somewhat foreign sounding English pronunciation sometimes, just a bit but noticeable. So on those words I thought it was easiest to put words that sounded the same as the odd sounding syllable, or you can also tell it to use different formants than what it chooses based on the word.

Overall it’s pretty crazy that this is possible now. I really hate my voice (ironic as a choir director) and prefer female voices to male if I had a choice, so I hope they keep improving it to make it less cumbersome because it’s definitely something I’ll come back to if I have lyrics for a song. It’s also fun to see what you can coerce out of the default sound it gives you, in a similar way to taking a synth preset I don’t understand and then breaking it down/changing it.

It is subscription based after a free trial, which sucks, but considering I don’t intend to use it all the time I can just stay unsubbed and then resub for a month when I need it.

The other tracks are plugins as well; they are Diva, Repro 1 and 5 (I was tempted to redo them all as hardware, except the synth counter melody on the second chorus since I don’t know how to make that with the hardware I have). It was the last unfinished song I had started before getting into hardware so I wanted to get it out of the way before something new.