Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A thought: I have a digital piano. It has 88 keys and weighted action. Is it at all doable to hook up audio or MIDI output to modules? That way I can do my futzing with envelopes to get synthesis going on and add as I need, rather than paying out the rear end for an 88 key weighted action synth.

I don't plan on gigging and I could always hook up a laptop for sequencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Our own Skeletron made Synthtopia, congrats!

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/03/30/slow-jam-with-korg-polysix-korg-er-1-roland-tr-606-tr-707/

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MJP posted:

A thought: I have a digital piano. It has 88 keys and weighted action. Is it at all doable to hook up audio or MIDI output to modules? That way I can do my futzing with envelopes to get synthesis going on and add as I need, rather than paying out the rear end for an 88 key weighted action synth.

I don't plan on gigging and I could always hook up a laptop for sequencing.

A piano is going to lack expressive controls like a modulation/pitch bend wheel or aftertouch.

Other than that, yes you can drive synthesizers with MIDI inputs with your digital piano.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

renderful posted:

This is beauty out of the OP-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROMOOs-k24

Whether it sounds great or not, it looks hella fun with a very usable set of workflows/functions.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about this thing. I guess I can't wrap my head around people privileging a novel workflow over the actual sound you hear when you close your eyes. The sound in that video reminded me of my old entry-level Casio.

ashgromnies posted:

At the least, I hope it shows other manufacturers a direction they could be going in.

That's how I feel as well. TE is clearly way ahead of the pack in terms of synth UX. It would be amazing to see a DSI, Waldorf, Elektron, etc. take their ideas and run with them.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Nice! Synthtopia is usually quite good starting point to get featured on other sites as well, because everybody looks there and actually sees & comments your stuff.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Is there already a sampler thread or would anyone be interested in putting one together?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Just bought one of these as well as some extra modules (for a percussion sequencer as well).

I only ended up spending about $275 and I'm utterly convinced that I can make brilliant stuff with it. Can't wait to share.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Oh, cool! Thank you! I didn't know about this site. That's great.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Am I the only one here who wants to make the kind of music I just heard and who needs to listen to a bunch of what I was planning on making in order to want to make it?

Skeletron posted:

Oh, cool! Thank you! I didn't know about this site. That's great.

How do you have that many synths and not hear about Synthopia? :confused:

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Honestly, I don't really frequent any synth places aside from this thread and things I'll run across on google when I'm researching some problem or a piece of gear. I hadn't even visited MuffWiggler until someone posted about synth forums in here a few months ago. You should throw some links in the OP. :)

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Skeletron posted:

Honestly, I don't really frequent any synth places aside from this thread and things I'll run across on google when I'm researching some problem or a piece of gear. I hadn't even visited MuffWiggler until someone posted about synth forums in here a few months ago. You should throw some links in the OP. :)

You'll want to check out Matrixsynth too. It's similar to Synthtopia. So similar, in fact, that some of your [fantastic] jams have been posted there too.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Totally the wrong thread for this, but does anyone here have experience with handpans?

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
iPad alert: Audiobus is on sale for five bones and the free upgrade Audiobus 2 drops next Thursday. I just recorded Gadget into GarageBand with it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The hell of hardware samplers: trip update. After going through 3 different cf disks (each of which offering a different error) I have yet to get the aztekmonster working with the asr-x pro. Gonna get a usb floppy drive and update the o.s. on it. On the bright side, I installed chickensystems asr-x tools onto my old, 32 bit o.s., laptop and now it actually works. So I'm at least able to edit patches on it. May be less than ideal if I can't get a compact flash drive working on it, but as what I mostly wanted it for was doing handrolled transwaves, and those will fit on a floppy, I'm now able to do the thing I bought it to be able to do.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Sizone posted:

The hell of hardware samplers: trip update. After going through 3 different cf disks (each of which offering a different error) I have yet to get the aztekmonster working with the asr-x pro. Gonna get a usb floppy drive and update the o.s. on it. On the bright side, I installed chickensystems asr-x tools onto my old, 32 bit o.s., laptop and now it actually works. So I'm at least able to edit patches on it. May be less than ideal if I can't get a compact flash drive working on it, but as what I mostly wanted it for was doing handrolled transwaves, and those will fit on a floppy, I'm now able to do the thing I bought it to be able to do.
Fixing hardware and troubleshooting audio problems is the worst thing in the world. I just want to make music! But it's such an amazing feeling when you finally hit on a solution. This probably doesn't help, but a few weeks ago I managed to get my CF Aztecmonster working with my Emulator IIIXP and a 256MB Sandisk CF card. At first it wouldn't recognize the CF card at all. I figured it was just incompatible for the longest time. By sheer luck, I tried dicking around with the jumper on the Aztecmonster and the EIII's SCSI ID settings, and BOOM! There it was! The thing just worked. I felt like I'd pulled Eurydice from the loving pits of Hades, especially since this thing had been sitting in my closet with a dead SCSI drive for almost a year.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I've been slipping through storage history. Got a 4 gig card, then a 2 gig card, then a 512 meg card.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Make sure the card doesn't support UDMA. Some adapters I've used are ok with it or are smart enough to kick it to PIO but some don't. Some cards don't like speaking PIO.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

treasureplane posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about this thing. I guess I can't wrap my head around people privileging a novel workflow over the actual sound you hear when you close your eyes. The sound in that video reminded me of my old entry-level Casio.

That's how I feel as well. TE is clearly way ahead of the pack in terms of synth UX. It would be amazing to see a DSI, Waldorf, Elektron, etc. take their ideas and run with them.

Cuckoo in particular likes square waves and old video games, but not every sound that comes out of the OP-1 is like that, I don't think. Some of the functions definitely look like toys (note tumbler, I'm looking at you), but with other ones, it seems like they did a simple thing well instead of a complicated thing just ok, and it's easy to see the appeal there. I think the analogy from earlier to Apple products is apt. Simple user interfaces are generally better, but it always stings a little to lose any particular function or particular possible workflow.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 31, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Griff Lee posted:

Just bought one of these as well as some extra modules (for a percussion sequencer as well).

I only ended up spending about $275 and I'm utterly convinced that I can make brilliant stuff with it. Can't wait to share.

I am a white man and I demand acknowledgement

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Griff Lee posted:

Griff Lee posted:

Can't wait to share.

Well, get on with it.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

He actually plays them.

e— grabbed the Aztecmonster manual cause I'm bored this morning, it claims support for UDMA, that's a new one on me. The suggestion of external termination isn't a bad idea if you've got an inline terminator. She should be fine with anything 4GB and down really. 'Unreadable' is good, you can format that. 'Not rdy'(iirc) is just for removable drives so if you see that it can't tell that it's a "HDD."

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 31, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm about to try and modernize my Emu E4XT with a CF reader too. It's been difficult to find any info about compatible 3.5" flash memory units. I see plenty of old Akais and Emus with some type of card reader replacing the floppy drive (in some of the info I've looked at it seems I need PCMCIA card with a CF reader that goes INTO the card reader in the floppy port) but finding a particular brand is difficult (and looking on eBay for such a thing only reveals way overpriced ancient hardware, but this is nothing new for eBay).

In related news, I found out that the SmartMedia card in my MC-909 won't be compatible with an MC-505 since the 909 takes 3V cards and the 505 takes 5V cards. I'm so glad we live in an age where none of this matters anymore.

EDIT: I updated my OP-1 last night and played a bit with the new toys. I forgot about testing master detune but I really enjoy the Dsynth engine, its sound is somewhere between the Cluster and FM engines (mostly harsh and metallic but it has some warm sweet spots when using sine waves). The sketch sequencer is fun to play with too. Now, I can't quite say it's very musical (at least with something like the Tambola you can get something rhythmic out of it) but I can't think of any other instrument out there that gives you this kind of sequencing. God I want an OpLab so badly.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 31, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Startyde posted:

He actually plays them.

I'm sorry the way I enjoy playing my synths is bad and wrong. t:mad:>

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Griff Lee posted:

I can't wait to see what people do with the synth LittleBits once they've been out for a minute.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

To be fair, I play my synths a ton and have never heard of Synthtopia either.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Did you ever get your audio situation sorted so that we can listen to your jams ~in real time~ ?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

net work error posted:

Did you ever get your audio situation sorted so that we can listen to your jams ~in real time~ ?

You mean using that weird collab software?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

You mean using that weird collab software?

That or any other of your choice. Skype?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've done it with Justin TV before.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've done it with Justin TV before.

ew gross

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I made a song today!

Haha April Fools I suck

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

net work error posted:

I made a song today!

Haha April Fools I suck

This was my joke you jerk. :(

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
i found a mint 303 at an out of town thrift store for cheap because they didn't know it's value

April Fool's!
Actually what I hope when going to places like that :(

In actual news, first ebay scam or something on a TX81Z of all things. Payment has been unclaimed since Friday. 0 feedback, so I guess I should have expected. His location is just outside of my town, and after internet snooping, I discovered we have a mutual friend on facebook? I need my FM.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

net work error posted:

I made a song today!

Haha April Fools I suck

You still could! Don't make it perfect; make it NOW! Practice practice practice.

ejstheman posted:

I can't wait to see what people do with the synth LittleBits once they've been out for a minute.

OH MY GOD I just saw on facebook that a friend of a friend is getting these and I can't wait to nag the poo poo out of him through our mutual friend until he lets me try them hahahahaha

Reggie Watts did a demo video, but he didn't use the littlebits a ton in the part I watched; his performance seemed to feature his looper a lot more, and he just used the littlebits to make this one weird feedback noise that he sampled at the beginning.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 1, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Sooo close to selling the Virus TI Desktop, but the gearslut in me says I still need the Virus's hypersaw oscillator. (The hypersaw lets you dial in up to 9 detunable saw waves off a single OSC slot, and is separate from the additional Unison feature.)

Is there a softsynth that does something similar to the Virus's hypersaw OSC for supersaw-type sounds? I normally use Massive as a Virus substitute, but it doesn't really work like the Virus in this one specific area.

I have seen people talk about Spire, Zebra, and Sylenth1 for hypersaws, and am curious to hear any confirmation of them, or suggestions of other plugs that do something similar.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 1, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Let me know if you want to sell it, I'm on a handpan wait list but if that falls through I may be interested.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

Sooo close to selling the Virus TI Desktop, but the gearslut in me says I still need the Virus's hypersaw oscillator. (The hypersaw lets you dial in up to 9 detunable saw waves off a single OSC slot, and is separate from the additional Unison feature.)

Is there a softsynth that does something similar to the Virus's hypersaw OSC for supersaw-type sounds? I normally use Massive as a Virus substitute, but it doesn't really work like the Virus in this one specific area.

I have seen people talk about Spire, Zebra, and Sylenth1 for hypersaws, and am curious to hear any confirmation of them, or suggestions of other plugs that do something similar.
Starting to get annoyed that every time I want to recommend something, it turns out to be 32 bit/Windows only :argh: Was going to throw SuperWave and JP6K in there as not-amazingly-flexible but classic supersaw emulations. Not insanely expensive either. But lack updates for the new era.

From looking at the screenshots, Spire, Zebra and Sylenth1 all allow for a similar thing in principle at least. Haven't listened to any of them, but Spire seems to have an excellent user interface. I like it for that.

Completely unrelated: I'm too lazy to do a huge writeup on it, but I still want to plug CableGuys Curve as an awesome synth plugin. Custom spline based everything: oscs, lfos, envelopes. Love it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

I use Sylenth for long ambient pads, and of all the VSTs I've demo'd I still find Sylenth's detuned-multi-saw/sq/whatever to be the warmest of them all. It sounds utterly gorgeous; you can just set up a wall of sound a let it go.

https://soundcloud.com/wakeupffs2012/scapa-1

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Frankie Knuckles died. Sucks.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Flipperwaldt posted:

From looking at the screenshots, Spire, Zebra and Sylenth1 all allow for a similar thing in principle at least. Haven't listened to any of them, but Spire seems to have an excellent user interface. I like it for that.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I use Sylenth for long ambient pads, and of all the VSTs I've demo'd I still find Sylenth's detuned-multi-saw/sq/whatever to be the warmest of them all. It sounds utterly gorgeous; you can just set up a wall of sound a let it go.
I own Sylenth1 but I spent very little real time working with it before I ramped up on Massive. I'm gonna see what I can do with Sylenth tonight.

Also, it appears that u-he Diva actually has a "megasaw" OSC for up to 7 saw waves- so similar in concept to the Virus hypersaw. It's unclear from the Diva manual whether this megasaw operates independently of Diva's "stack" (unison) feature. I might have to check the demo. I've avoided Diva up to now because my computer's not exactly new and even u-he's own page is like, "woah guys, this thing uses crazy CPU."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I think I'm going to try and design a portable jambox with my littlebits and other hijacked hardware. I by chanced snagged 2 studio monitors from work (great speakers too) so I think I can use those. Would anyone like to help? I need it!