Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Spent part of yesterday building a nice round-robin drum kit based on Hammond Auto-Vari 64 samples that I found in the KB6 drum samples library.

Weirdly enough just this morning I got an email from the KB6 guy saying they just updated the archive with the following samples:

I could easily spend my entire musical "career" doing nothing but building vintage drum kits. I love this poo poo so much.

I got that email too but can't freaking remember my login information. I'm pretty sure my thought when I bought the initial access was "I'm never going to use this again I'll just make something completely absurd up". This also happens to come at a time when I've got samples ready to be chopped for my Tempest, MC-909, and RS-7000. I'll have to see how his samples compare to mine (if I can ever get back on their server).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ahh yes, so it is. Thanks for the reminder (the email was hiding in my starred items with a generic title)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
drat good choice for a first piece of gear! I love my Virus C

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Maybe in 2089 when Skrillex dies our president George Herbert Walker Jeb Cheney-Bush IV will put out one of these memos.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got the E4XT, beast of a machine! What version of EOS is it running?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think the E6400 and other E4 models can run EOS 4.7 (which adds a lot of great features such as FAT partition support). I got my E4XT with 4.01 loaded on it and have upgraded to 4.63 so far. Since the hard drive is formatted with EMU's proprietary file system I'm hesitant to upgrade to 4.7 for fear of something happening and me losing my samples (I'm planning on upgrading the HD to an internal compact flash drive anyway cause IDE hard drive are slow and loud!).

If you have access to a floppy drive you'll be able to create the necessary floppies for the upgrade (I bought a USB one from the local computer store and returned it when I made my 3 floppies). There will be a Flash prep floppy to burn as well as the versions of EOS you want to upgrade to. I think after 4.6 the flash prep floppy became unnecessary (you also might need to hold down the enter key while booting to get into flashing mode) but yeah, legacy hardware, so much fun to work with :downs:. I've only played around with sampling in and mapping samples to a keyboard but there is a gently caress ton of stuff the EMUs can do. There's even some kind of synth engine that uses patching modules to create sound (I haven't even figured out how to get to this part of the machine yet).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I would definitely consider the Alesis Ion or Micron. Beautiful pads and can do a whole lot of other stuff rather well for an inexpensive VA. You could probably do an entire song just using the Micron and considering a Virus C is probably $600 and a Micron is $250 there is little much else to debate. I've used the Novation X-station which is similar to the K-station and though it did what it said it would do, I was not thrilled by Novation's VA sounds (though I do really like their hardware).

I also own an Virus Rack XL (a 1U version of the Virus C) and really do enjoy the Virus sound/features. Yes it does sound a bit more "real" to my ears than the Micron, but they're very different machines. On the point about the C vs the TI, beyond missing features there is a sound quality difference as well. I think it's that classic description of "the older ones sound grittier while the newer ones sound cleaner and prettier" applies here. I haven't played with a TI in real life, only listened to videos, but I can definitely hear a more detailed quality of sound coming from the TI series. The C can do many things as well (things that are not even dark or industrial!) but especially with the effects enabled there is a darker/grittier quality to the sound. The Viruses are very much geared toward trance/dance/electronic music but they're also quite versatile.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
We should only be discussing oscillator theory here :colbert:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The same buddy that I said owned the Virus Ti also used to own a Micron and I played around with his a few years ago. It was fun and had a bunch of cool sounds! But the drummer/synth player in one of my favorite local bands plays an Ion and that thing is just the bees knees. I will definitely have to check those out in addition to the Mininova. But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

They're the same synth engine. The Micron is just a scaled down version in a smaller case with a smaller keyboard. I like the knobbier interface of the Ion but for the size and price I think the Micron is where it's at. I use a Novation Remote SL to control the synth parameters anyway (but the single knob interface on the Micron, while annoying, can be OK to use).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
IT LIVES! The Shruthi XT SMR-4 LIVES!

Well, I have to plunk an LCD and some nice red LEDs on the board yet, but I was able to get the unit to make some noises today. The SMR-4 is quite fat and warm sounding and since it's only 1 mono voice is has a different character than the SMR-4 filter boards on my Ambika. I have yet to order the parts to build my other control surface and 4 Pole Mission filter but when those arrive then the real showdown for Shruthi superiority will begin.

The XT case looks quite nice as well. I'm a little nervous about the plexiglass casing seeing its fair share of rough handling when I finally get everything put together but the metal top panel is quite nicely designed. The official Shruthi metal enclosure I purchased to house the SMR-4 filter is reallllllly stunning. Can't wait to get both units up and running!

My victory candy tastes oh so sweet

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Played around a bit with the SMR-4 Shruthi last night. Here's my noodle: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/shruthi-xt-smr-4-mkii-first-noodle

I placed an order for a white LCD and red flat top LEDs today (among other things) so I'll put some pictures up once those get added to the build.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm selling my Nord G2 Modular Engine if anyone is interested. This is the 1U rack version of the G2 Modular.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Looks like 11.5" x 4.5" x 1.5" which is pretty compact for a knobby monosynth.

I'll take this opportunity to post some naked photos with a bonus Altoids tin:

EDIT: I didn't realize the compliment. Thanks for the compliment :). The demo also has the distinction of being my first thing posted to Matrixsynth.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 30, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So....

There's this new Future Music studio tour with Celldweller. If you're a modular nerd you might go crazy at his setup. I went crazy because he has an Arpie and apparently it's the one I built and sold off a few months ago! I spotted the battery color at first (a white RiteAid 9v) and it got me wondering, but then I checked out this Vine and it's definitely mine, right down to the brown flux peppered around the header connector: https://vine.co/v/Mh9B2xieEwq

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jD2js8YAc

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
A little Shruthi workout with my dusty Monotribe. Finished the build and put it in the fancy case last night:

This thing is merveilleux!

Closeup shot:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Dibs on the 303

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Added a Juno 2 to the family today. Protip: you can never have too much Roland

Startyde posted:

Traded my sammichSID and now I want a new kit to build. Is there anything cheap and fun lately?

It's not quite a synth but I've been meaning to build this dual delay pedal for a while now, The Jellyfish: http://www.planktonelectronics.com/

The rest of my parts (a single voltage regulator, god drat self sourcing) for the 4PM are coming tomorrow, I can't wait to fire it up with the XT control surface. Speaking of Shruthi was anyone interested in buying my SMR-4?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 6, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

I'll probably throw a sound demo together tonight!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Working off the floor sucks

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Try it with drums

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
i'd imagine a polivoks would be kind of crunchy.

oberheim would taste a little dated.

casios are good for a snack.

PS: you weren't getting back to me Wafflehound but your wife would probably enjoy the Micron I have for sale.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Bolange posted:

Did you ever get a chance record that demo?

STOP HOLDING ME ACCOUNTABLE FOR THINGS I SAY AND DO!

https://soundcloud.com/portervance/sets/shruthi-4pm-xt-sound-tests

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamn, #5 is just beautiful.

Thanks guys :). Definitely some very BoC-esque power inside the 4PM.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Stereo is pretty essential as a feature in a delay/reverb/chorus/whatever pedal but if your only instrument so far is a Microbrute then a basic mono pedal is fine. I've always wanted to try some of those old school BOSS delay pedals. I've heard good things about the new MiniFoogers too but they're not as cheap.

Check out this article to get some more ideas: http://www.musicradar.com/us/totalguitar/best-delay-pedals-15-of-our-favourites-258753/1

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So if the RYTM has the same exact sound generation engine as the A4, couldn't you just make every single sound the RYTM makes with an A4?

OH BUT THE A4 DOESN'T HAVE MUSHY PADS TO MASH.

Ok, then use literally any MIDI controller you can get your hands on.

Am I missing something?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

A MIRACLE posted:

There's a Machinedrum UW for sale on my local craigslist. How much should they go for used?

Prices online have kind of dipped because people are chucking their MDs to get the RYTM. For a UW MKII i'd say $800ish is a good price.

SPEAKING OF STUFF FOR SALE

I don't want to poo poo up this thread too much but I've got the following for sale. PM me or post for requests/pictures:

Nord G2 Modular Engine – $1099
Mutable Instruments Ambika – $999
Mutable Instruments Shruthi SMR-4 – $399
Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion card – $549
Roland M-512E Memory Card – $80
Alesis Micron – $249
Fulltone OCD Drive pedal – $120

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

This was it (but it's since been debunked as fake.)

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

I had looked into this and still might end up buying something in the future. Moog has a system that's built into a guitar and that seems like the coolest modern way of doing it (those Parker guitars are rather sweet too) but it's expensive as hell.

One option I found that's more realistic is the Graphtech Ghost (http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost) system which will fit over the bridge of most guitars. The Ghost is just the name of the bridge pickup, you have to also buy their Hexpander Preamp in order to make those MIDI signals useful.

Roland's GR system is a lot older but also seems pretty cool to me. I've heard mixed things about the GK pickups but I like being able to just plug a 13-pin cable from the guitar to the sound module and be ready to rock out. I think there were some Roland guitars with the 13-pin plug/pickup system built into it which seem convenient.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

0dB posted:

I'd do that one, but I bet you're up on the northern end of the planet. (Sorry no PM).

I'm in North America, indeed. Send me over an email: portervance @AT@ gmail

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've discovered the Nord Leads can do a split keyboard like you've described. I only know this because there are 2 Nord Leads 2x for sale in my area and I'm really really really considering a trade for one of them. I love the quality of the sound from these and I think they'd make a perfect controller keyboard. I've got the Micro Modular now and it shares the same sound engine as the Lead 2x, b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l stuff.

The Nord Wave is another tasty offering from the Swedes but these are a lot more expensive and rare. Anyone own/used either?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oh man the Preen FM kit with the metal case is very very tempting. If anyone wants one built get in touch with me, I might order a few.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Octave Cat/Kitten is one of my wet dream synths especially if it's an earlier version ARP ripoff.

Can we talk IKEA studio hacks for a minute? I went out and bought 3 IKEA Rast nightstands yesterday to make some quick and dirty (and cheap!) equipment racks. I'm going to order some Raxxess 6u rails to mount inside, there are technically 8u of space you can get out of each unit but I like having 2u of space under the main compartment to stash additional hardware or more racks. I might just place them one next to the other but I'm considering a stack as well (though this seems a bit more dangerous).

I'd like to do something to help manage the cables that will inevitably be exploding out the back of these shelves but I'm wondering what other mods I could approach with this project. Anyone else used the Rast before?

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I bought 3 of those Lacks as well but I think I might end up returning them. They looks very nice and the parts feel sturdy enough but the panels are extremely thick and made from particle board. They would be much easier to drill into to mount the side rails (thicker) but the panels take up more room than I'd like on my desk. I'd also worry a bit about the wood insulating some of the heat the rack units will generate.

The Rasts are a lot slimmer and are solid pieces of wood. I'm going to have to figure out the best way to mount the side rails with only 1/2" of wood to anchor screws into but I like the slimmer profile (I will be sitting these on a desk eventually stacked side by side).

On the other hand, if I were building a 20u rack cabinet the Lacks would work out pretty well (you could stick some of the thicker top/bottom pieces on the bottom of the rack to make up for unused space at the floor level and then use some mounting brackets to connect the side walls to each other. I would still worry about how sturdy that unit would end up being (I would probably place a mixer on top of something like that) but it makes for some relatively affordable studio hardware.

I was debating whether or not to go through the trouble but I am going to head to the store and pick up some wood stain to paint the Rasts with. Right now my room smells like lovely pine, soon it will smell like lovely varnish!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any idea how to get the TB-3 to accept start/stop signals? It's right in the manual that it can do it but not even the slightest bit of information on how to make it work.

That's usually called transport control or remote control

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
There's a Polivoks Ambika card: http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/3955/ambika-polivoks-voicecard/p1. It's not official but neither was the Ladder filter one and people love the sound of that board. I think Oliver is more interested in developing modular stuff at this point but the MI community has a bunch of hardware designers working on various things.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Synths and Synthesis MkII: Sold all my synths and went analog WHAT NOW

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
:negative: don't buy more modular stuff.

My new favorite sequencer is the Zillion algorithmic thingamajig from Future Retro. Computer music!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Craigslist is great for this if you have enough people in your area. I've gotten 3 tier stands for $30 just because keyboard stands can be hard things to sell on something like eBay. I'd recommend most brands if you just need something in the studio. I've used planks of wood and unused bookshelf shelves to make a little table for other gear on one of the tiers. The 3 tier thing I had before was made by OnStage and I never had any issues with it.

If you're pressed for space and want to spend $$ I'd look at the Spider Pro stands (they can go up to 4 tiers from what I've seen).

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Phase 1 complete:

Next will be the synth stack!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

MrLonghair posted:

I approve. What does the rear look like?

Imagine something really well organized and meticulously thought out. Then imagine the complete opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion