Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphins
Apr 3, 2007

Swim with us!

A Winner is Jew posted:

That's your problem. The Volca's headphone out is sterero and it really, really doesn't handle just using either right or left channels into a mixer well.

I've looked a lot into this recently. I have Volca Beats and Bass and I had some sync issues whenever they were connected to my mixer. The slaved device would start skipping whenever I touched one of its analog controls (such as cutoff on the Bass). I also had the problem of low level input even when using a stereo cable and the stereo inputs of my mixer.

I spent a lot of time googling the issue and after a detour in Gearslutz found my way to some obscure forum. A user there said that the output on all Volcas is not "true stereo". It's a mono signal split into left and right. (I don't know if there's a real term for this.) Somehow this also affects the sync via grounding. So the guy said that converting the whole signal chain into mono helps. Actually, he claimed that it helps with most known problems when using Volcas with any additional gear.
I don't have an appropriate mono cable, but I noticed that plugging a stereo jack only halfway into the headphone output and into a mono input on the mixer did the trick. The output level got significantly louder and the sync problem disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphins
Apr 3, 2007

Swim with us!

Number Two Stunna posted:

Some samplers will let you run a signal through them, and will convert that signal to mono. If you have a sampler lying around, that's a lot more practical than plugging in the audio cable halfway.

Nah, I'll just grab some mono cables the next time I visit the local music store.