Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Just got my first automatic copyright takedown on soundcloud. Muh robot farts sound like some rap song apparently.
Happened on upload which seems odd. Don't they lose any kind of indemnity protection as a service if they're filtering for copyright violations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm not that familiar with the TT but I don't think it's got dinsync out. I know it has MIDI out, I'd just use that. If you decide to get another volca down the line you can just sync out from the beats and it'll lock.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hating on 27s, now samplers. Man.
'Trons will fit on floppies and unexpanded EPSes. I'd go for an EPS or EPS16 because they're great but the easiest would be CD3000, built in CD. If you go computer, get a junky OG iPad, there's an "official" tron app. It's not the best put together but it sounds good.

e- now that I've had coffee, I remembered a dude did that electone conversion getting posted to AHML, this one's an E50 though.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 10, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

To be fair, the TX16W was a demonic beast from the pits of despair. Forged, a hate engine; galvanized in the blood of the stillborn... standard Yamaha production line.
Its purpose, only reclaimed for holy pursuit by the work of angels. Its reincarnation, a dangerous portent.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Was hoping this was going to be a wavestation.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

wafffllllllles :getin:
cop the ASR10 instead

Spent the last week giving the OP1 another chance, still only dig on the sampler. The new CWO shifter is pretty sweet though. Probably going to send it back and spend $toomuch on that eurorack keyboard.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Like most filters they're better animated. Approach them like you're wavesequencing/vector synthing rather than using a static filter.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

HaB posted:

Been reading this thread a bit, and I am currently in the market, but I need expert advice.

Nord Wave :retrogames:

Anyway, I think the best value for your situation is still a kurzweil. You could get a K2600 for under a grand these days, or a K2661 if you want something more portable. That'll get you all the bread and butter sounds you want, lots of live controls, and some serious programmability for robot farts in the studio. I like the Motif7 and they've become pretty reasonable now but the UI is typical Yamaha obtuse and the keybed is a little clacky. I do much prefer the sequencer on it over the K. Haven't seriously poked a Korg workstation since the T/01/X family so can't speak to those.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Reaktor is $99 again too, new version probably imminent.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I dunno, $1500 for a fairly sophisticated drum synth with sequencer, FX, velocity sensitive pads and patch recall seems pretty cheap. To put it into perspective the dancing bear is $1200.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yea, it's not the same engine. I'm sure that it's built with similar DCOs but the voices are purpose built to the point that you can't load any drum "machine" on any voice. Each voice type has different parameters and is built for making that sound. A4 can't do FM, for instance, sample playback, the filter is a single multimode rather than a pair in series, FX are different including analog compressor and distortion, nevermind more than four voices obv.
It's a neat little box. I've got an MD so I'm not that interested but I wouldn't mind poking one for a bit.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

You will order one within a fortnight.

Should we have a pool? :v:

I'm really disappointed it can't at the least sample itself, that's a huge missed opportunity. Supposedly external ins never go A/D, fine whatever, let the thing resample. I'd probably hock the MD.

Alesis io2, supposedly supports sysex this time!

Startyde fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 29, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.

So when do you think development of the electronics actually started? Week after they showed the thing?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

It got me wondering about other controller keyboards in case I wanted to trade away the DX7. Are features like Floating Split and 8-way split/layer common?

Not anymore they're not. Typically you'll 2-4 get zones, maybe layerable. Most controllers these days can't be split at all though, so double check specs when you're shopping. Floating, I doubt it, maybe the Midiboard did that, I can't think of anything else. They just assume you're going to plug in via usb and play a VST at a time now.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

RM1x, MC80 are both cheap as hell these days if you want to jump on a dedicated sequencer. You've already entered the dark lord's realm, just go nuts. :retrogames:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

New England dudes, the Analog Heaven Northeast Meet is this Saturday! Fair amount of ridiculous synths will be there, including a Music Easel shootout (original, BEMI, 208R), OBX and CrOwBX, Solaris, P12 and more. If you're in the Marlboro area and want to hitch a ride, let me know.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'll try to get video :v:
There was a Minimoog old/new/Voyager shootout a couple years ago, really made me want a voyager old school. Thankfully I've got all the uncertainty and empty wallets I need already so no buchla for me thanks.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Soon I discovered that this synth thing was true
Donald Buchla was the devil
Robert was a physicist previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with gear
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

MrLonghair posted:

Way to put me onto the track of getting my first Waldorf :O

:getin:

Speaking of pokemon, OP1's sampler got my juices going and left me wanting at the same time. Got offered an EPS16 in trade yesterday and I was thinking about it but I'm trying to shed stuff not collect more. Getting ready for the AHNE meet this week has really got me thinking about paring the gently caress down. Just bringing the A4, 6U and an amp.

A Winner is Jew posted:

but now that I'm happy with my synth setup I've started working on getting gear for my guitar... and because I hate all 3 of the amp/effect VST's I've tried, Hail Satan hardware ahoy. :devil:

Just cop a Tech21 flavor and an eventide or something. Guitar poo poo is so crazy these days. I've got a buddy who has bought and sold an axefx more times than I can count, swaps up his pedalboard every other week.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

AHNE was amazeballs, just got back. Saw some cool poo poo, jammed for forty minutes. Solaris is absolutely amazing. The clone won the easel shootout imo. Pics tomorrow.

BKPR posted:

I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half.

same, but ever

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Also heads up for dudes wanting to dabble in iOS synths, the ipad mini is $100 off at Target right now, down to $199.

Album from the AHNE meet. Octave Cat was probably my favorite mono that was there, I forgot how fun it is to play. Solaris was just sick, the 'pages' brought out to their own spots is an awesome idea, huge tonal variety. I guess it's kind of half-baked though, the owner said Bowen is still doing hardware redesigns, OS isn't complete, hell a display failed during the meet. Chroma and aptly-named Enabler made a re-appearance, always great. OBX was there but misbehaving, likewise a Multimoog didn't survive the car trip. I didn't get photos of some things, a pair of 303s, octatrack, polygamist, AX80, euro. I'm surprised how little modular showed compared to years past, and all of it euro.

e- 100 off, not $100

Startyde fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 9, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Edit 2: Oh god Ableton is poo poo

Yea

Nice!

Probably more appropriate for the VST thread but Eventide is giving away (code:09DCA5AC) a channel strip plug until July 8th that will be $249 afterward. No iLok needed but you do have to run their jive license manager soft. Sounds awesome, includes—

quote:

Micro Pitch from the H8000
Stereo Delays

FlexiPath allows drag and drop reordering the signal path of the top section
5-band Parametric EQ
O-Pressor - the compressor section from the Omnipressor with sidechain
Compressor with sidechain and de-essing
Soft Saturation
Transformer emulation
Gate with sidechain

Emphasis mine. Their servers are getting hammered here's a direct download if you were able to get your license but not download. Buy Dan G a beer if you see him at a trade show he's a good guy.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

net work error posted:

Where can I find their license manager? I see that they require iLok account and software.

Sorry, theirs as in iLok's jive software, not Eventide.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's not really synth related, but I like all of you and I sold a synth to buy it soooo...

This is a LAN thread

for the state of INSANITY

Synth Nation representing the real, not faking the funk

Can you hear me CC?

Continuous Controller rocking your block
Bleeps and Bloops we hard we ain't soft
etc
I want to be Roger Troutman when I grow up

sliderule posted:

QY700 is right out. There has been a WANTED:QY700 @ $400 ad on Kijiji since the beginning of March. The QY70 only has a single MIDI In/Out, so it's a bit less flexible. Also I really don't need the on-board sound, the on-board styles / accompaniment, the mini keyboard, or the portability. So it's a less than ideal option.

The MC80 fits the functionality bill, but the seller has gone AWOL on me, so I guess I have a little more time to search.

The QY700 has got the problem of what samples are out there probably aren't going to change hands much. There are a lot more MC80s out there, but it'll eat MRC disks so maybe it has a similar problem. Don't forget to search for MC-80EX because it might not come up if wherever you're looking has a lovely search. It's the same but has the unfortunate sound card factory installed.
e- Almost forgot, there's also the MV30 which is, iirc, more directly built on the MC500 with a U220/D70 bolted on. They seem to be going for very cheap, never had one.

MrLonghair posted:

If you want a the most powerful modern hardware sequencers it's MPC500, MPC1000, MPC2500, and JJOS where applicable. The timing is as tight as it should be, just a bit unwieldy and better off for those of us who record live.

Definitely agree, even stock, MPC is tough to beat. You've got the extra pros of FAT filesystem/folders, CF/USB backup and a still healthy aftermarket compared to the other stuff.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 13, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

I think the Model D is the best synth ever, after on-hands experience :colbert:

But then again, synths that use joysticks trigger psychotic murder rampages in me.

catstick man, catstick
Wish I grabbed one when they were ~$300

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Those are some expensive donuts

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm drunk in between war thunder matches but without looking at the schems if it's like every other electret mic just run a 9v between ground and output with appropriate for the element current limiting resistor. That shure sure is fancy for doing such a thing. I used to make little mics out of the old rat shack element that was a buck back in the days. Like this. Then just plug phono in, or use a phono/xlr that's a lot easier to find/have kicking around.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's the same for the lot of them— Kits->Patterns->Chains/Songs
Kits are the only* thing that you can save/load yourself. Patterns are automatically saved after any change. Kits are tied to patterns and any changed saved will affect all patterns, since they're referencing the same kit. That joining is saved on load/save of a kit so what I usually do is just "load" a blank kit if I'm starting from scratch to prevent loving myself or immediately save to a new slot any cool tweaks if using an existing kit. MD is a little unique in that it has "Classic" mode that will continue using the same kit from the pattern you started with as you change patterns, like an old pre-set machine. This does not affect the actually married kit in those patterns. Tweaking a kit and then reloading it with [Function]+[Classic/Extended] only reads the kit again and doesn't affect the kit or the pattern.
It is a unique patching structure but easy to work with once you get your head around it. The biggest thing is to save early and often, messing a kit up on accident is not hard.

*The analog family machines also throw "sounds" into the mix. These are a separate patch object that can be loaded into a machine slot and safely tweaked/saved without affecting the saved "sound". They can be on/off-loaded from +drive and inter-project. Can't speak to song mode because I've never spent time on it, I think there's song slots on the MD not sure. NFC how samples are handled on that thing.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 17, 2014

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

insert bitching about dsi unfinished products here

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I have zero complaints about the Yamaha so far, and it plays nice with an iPad so I may start using the Animoog as my dedicated polysynth for shits and giggles.

edit: Does anyone know how to set up (in live) a reverb that only effects the upper frequencies of a channel?

Send track, EQ in front of the reverb with all the frequencies you don't want pegged at the bottom. Or switch to a reverb with shelving filters on the input.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

"Comments are disabled for this video."

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

treasureplane posted:

Holy smokes. Not sure I need another monosynth in my life -- especially one with a street price of $1999 -- but that looks and sounds fantastic.

Hooray for more synths I guess but I hope the recent resurgence isn't just becoming a monosynth overload and then market crash.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

novation supremacy

also wow blofeld updates, hooray

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Saw this poking around for more info on the blofeld update. Seems like a pretty good deal, 177EU for a Rocket, plus it comes with a free license for the Waldorf Edition VSTs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

No trick, you just hit high instead of low.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

That's odd, I could've sworn that she didn't pay attention to disk type and would format DD disks as HD if you wanted, you just wouldn't be able to read them in anything but the S1k. Could be misremembering though.
Does it read HD floppies? What was the make and model? Is it even an HD drive?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Getting close to finishing up my Reaktor-based Klee.

Looks cool, look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I could use the cd drive, and a external HDD chassis populated or otherwise if you've got one in the pile.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Wow that is sharp. Is that laser wood burning for the panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Caddies 4life.
I'd be down for the external CD and jaz drives/carts. My FDD is still rolling so I'll pass unless nobody else is interested. I can toss you some bucks for shipping with google wallet, my useless paypal boycott continues.

While we're giving poo poo away, if anyone is interested in those NOS cassettes I posted about in the ~secret club~ while the forums were down let me know. My decks don't like them so there's too much high rolloff for my robot farts.