Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That's a very skewed good to bad synth ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
There were so many songs made using a piano preset.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
According to AIM a few people didn't know "gently caress" was a link. Also, robust or not I'm terrified of hurting it. :ohdear:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Really, what else is there?

Not lovely synths?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Musician's Lounge › Synthesizers MkII: Toxoplasmosis Edition

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

Eh, I'll wait for the software update so I can get Asperger's too

Yamaha had an entire line of synths based on that concept, it's the DX series.

Radiapathy posted:

No keyboardcats here.

I need more of this.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Oh man that dog looks way more shortsighted than that:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I would vote for this pug.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I tried talking my wife into recreating your pug's pose near my rack but apparently that wasn't happening and now I'm sleeping on the sofa.

Also this:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Ahahahahahha oh my god

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
But the Wafflehound was a real dog

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sliderule posted:

I'm in Canada, so shipping, exchange and customs makes anything from there automatically $50-$100 more.

I'm going to contact the seller and see what's included. Thanks for the info!

Not a joke: Do you want a wavestation? I'm in BC.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not to defend reddit, but I found the Massive patch to be noticeably less enjoyable than the others. And I love Massive.

sliderule posted:

I'd take one, but I'm in Ontario.

Whereabouts? A large chunk of my family is in Brampton/Cambridge so I could easily have an excuse to head out that way. Even then, shipping within the country shouldn't be abysmal and I'd probably be happier to sell it than put it in storage for a few years.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Massive patches

Massive is stupidly clicky, but at least it's consistently stupid so you can usually EQ out the clicking.

Edit: Speaking of EQing, I have a problem, I think:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 10, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Music production skype hangout, anyone?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

SineRider posted:

EQing is second biggest obstacle stopping people from making music, next to buying synths.

At least I'm making something don't discourage me now. :colbert:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That's probably a fair bit over what I'd personally expect to pay for all of those if I was buying them individually. As a bundle it's a ripoff.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If Roland wanted to be taken seriously they wouldn't have spent 20 years catering to wedding bands.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Sorry, this is already the next thread title:

Startyde posted:

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If anyone is after a Eurorack started kit for cheap or a Phatty Slim, let me know. :circlefap:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I need to confess a thoughtcrime for public absolution or something.

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over. I'm trying to decide if I want to just get some compressed as gently caress samples and go nuts so I can actually make something for once but that feels like cheating if I just buy a Vengeance pack, but poo poo, at least those dudes actually make things with Vengeance. I literally took a half hour break in the middle of writing this post to gently caress with drums and that's just making me angry at the world.

Like, does it just make sense to go #fuckit #yolo and get the same overprocessed drums (which I like) as everyone else and then learn drum layering and compression from scratch at a slower pace while actually making stuff, or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting that kind of sound that I might have missed? Or what the gently caress am I doing I don't know.

:(

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Are you having fun? If so, maybe that's just your thing. Ain't nothing wrong with it.

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating to grab a pre-made sample with the right kind of sound. But still, I'm getting hung up and frustrated.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to just try grabbing a demo of a pack or something similar and gently caress around for a bit and see if I'm happy with the results or If it just leaves me feeling super dirty. :v:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples? They're a hallmark of sound design of dance music from the last few years almost to the point of mimicking the 909 in terms of presence.

toadee posted:

Crank the loving gain on the mixer input from your 606's kick drum until it clips.

I traded the 6 for a Mopho keyboard in, like, June. And then I traded that for a bunch of euro. And then I sold that euro for three times what I paid for the 606. I should become a pawn shop guy or something.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

I kind of get the point, and putting it like this even makes me think you might be right, but I'm not sure if that would be something we should we happy about it. :ohdear:

I mean, I get what you're getting at a bit, but why not? There are entire genres that are basically defined by the 909 kick or have the open hat (which was a sample) all over it. In a lot of ways the 909 was just as much of an easy button as the Vengeance stuff, it was just hardware so we feel okay fetishizing it more.

Radiapathy posted:

For something to become considered a defining instrument, it has to be used in a way that's initially pioneering. I don't think that's ever going to happen with a sample pack, because that's not what they're for- they're for quickly getting to a sound you already know you want. They will capture the defining instruments of the future (I predict: 303/808/909), but they won't be making history- they'll be reflecting it.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. I think the "initially pioneering" thing is secondary to it being absolutely everywhere when it comes to looking at a certain instruments influence. Though you could also be right, I doubt there's a rulebook out there for what counts in this situation.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

What's the Poe's Law of rap?

Sjoewe posted:

distorion stombox for the 909 for a while now

MXR Distortion+ :getin:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

Samples aren't instruments. They are static, and do nothing without a sampler(which places its own sound via envelopes, filters and how it's used). They are more akin to the idea of synth presets than the 909.

Because the M9 piano wasn't a defining sample at all, but yes I get what you're being pedantic about.

renderful posted:

Are you just trying to form this argument to create a sea change in the perception of Vengeance samples so that you don't have to feel bad about using them?

Possibly.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Yes but there's only so many layers of pedantry we can peel off of this particular onion before we turn into gearslutz.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Attempts at using vengeance samples #1: I have no idea how to make drums cut through a mix

Radiapathy posted:

It's Scatter times a thousand.

From all the demos I've heard that use Scatter if I get one of those boxes I may just take off "ER" from the label so it's more accurate.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

The drums on this one sound a lot more muffled and muddy compared to any of the previous tracks you've posted/sent me.

Because this was my attempt at not sperging about drums for 20 hours.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: What is your monitoring environment like?

Terrible right now, I'm moving so there's boxes and stuff piled around the speakers. Solid advice, I know one of the things I consistently have a hard time with is managing super low frequencies because I straight up can't hear them on these KRKs and my neighbours probably wouldn't be happy with a sub. There's two 303's there, one is basically filter fully closed and highs scooped with a bit of res, the other is normal with lows scooped, so that no matter what I do I can make the 303 not sound thin and lovely, but yeah despite my attempts to carve out where the kick is it sounds thin and lovely.

I'll try and do what you suggested.

edit: This more like it? Clipping the master like gently caress but I tried cleaning it up a lot.

edit 2: The kicks gelling much more means I don't need the cymbals yayyyy

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I know acid is pretty much meant to be more freeflowing and not overproduced but those rare times it is overproduced it sounds so drat good, to me at least.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

EDIT: RE: Drumtalk: Your dilemma makes an excellent argument for why hardware drums can give you an edge on software/sampled drums :smug:

Don't loving tempt me. You know better than that man, I'm jonesing aaaaaaaa

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I sold the Tempest and got an A4 months ago.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not at all, the Tempest was sitting unused and I spend tons of time loving around with the A4, and I still had $400 left over.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The Tempest was counterintuitive and honestly for actual dry sounds was kind of poo poo, there's a reason people are flipping them quickly (look at tehschulman, he had it like a week). It's a decent groove box, but you need to want a groovebox.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I literally have never heard a good thing about the Tempest's drum sounds.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I'll be here to buy the A4 when you're ready though!

Not at your offering prices, you won't be. :v:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

Actually it's less that and more that I've been having problems with certain frequencies just not turning up on the KRKs that show up when I get a mix into my car. I've never actually looked into buying a sub because I know drat well that I don't need one, just that it would at some level make monitoring bass frequencies easier. To an extend I also miss the University of Texas EMS monitoring setup. :v:

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's been his approach since the beginning.

He doesn't want to put in the sweat and hours to get good, so he hopes flipping and buying more stuff will do the trick.

So where did this come from? Because this is probably the single most assholeish post I've ever read in this thread and you've been kind of on a passive aggressive fuckstick posting streak for a little bit. I think it's blisteringly obvious that you and I have different approaches to music, but you don't see me being a dick to people in this thread.

I've talked about it with Renderful a bunch, actually: I have very limited time to actually make music. I recognize that I am not nearly in the same league as most of the posters in this thread when it comes to composition. But I really love synthesis, and what time I get poking knobs and trying to arrange something is seriously the most relaxing time I get to myself which doesn't require me to go hiking for hours. I don't have any visions of myself as the next synth-music god who is going to be touring the world or even actively making something other people want to listen to. What I do hope to get out of this is that I'll thoroughly enjoy myself.

loving around with synths is the only hobby I have that costs money. In general I'm a startlingly cheap person who lives minimally enough that most of my possessions can fit in a single carload with room left to spare. There are synths that I want to play around with, and if I can get them at a price I can afford within the same pool of money I set aside at the beginning I'd allow myself to gently caress around with synths with, then I'll grab them when they're cheap. If I don't like it and I can sell it for more then I paid for it (which so far has net me ~1500 over where I started), then I'll do that.

The Tempest is a good example; I know some people can make incredible stuff with the Tempest (or literally any synth) but the people who are doing it have more patience for that particular piece of gear than I do, especially in light of how much money it cost. The decision to replace it with the A4 was one that made sense to me from a monetary perspective and from the perspective of "this can fill the same groovebox-y role but sounds better (to me) and is a lot cheaper)."

So I'm not you. gently caress, I'm not talented when it comes to composition at all. My only formal musical background is actually in synthesis, I really enjoy it, and at the end of the day the world of synths is a minefield of people like me and passive-aggressive pissing into the wind isn't going to change the fact that I'm hardly an outlier and that a good solid half of muffwiggler is in the same boat I'm in just with a much larger financial investment. Some people just like synths not as objects of pure fetishization with the intentions of making some magnum opus they can share with the world but because they're goddamn fun. Meanwhile, I'll take the little bits of time I'm able to fire up the synths and keep loving around bit by bit maybe not until I'm good, but until I'm having fun.

Now can we move the gently caress on? I'm fine eating however many Wavestation jokes get thrown my way and fully acknowledge that I deserve the hell out of the gear flipping jokes and I'm not going to bitch about that, but it's getting a bit lovely lately.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

toadee posted:

Wafflehound, the answer to your problems will almost literally never be buying more gear. It will always be spending more time with what you have and learning how best to apply it.

I genuninely don't think it ever is the answer to my problem. I also don't tend to post as much "oh god what am I doing" with the synths that I have learned really well which I've kept for a long time.

Again, I'm not really trying to make the argument that the criticisms are wrong, just that there's no need to be an rear end in a top hat about it (not you, obviously). I also think you're probably overestimating how much of my posts are about buying things vs. general gear lusting, which is something we're all pretty guilty of here. Other than the 101 I have been selling my synths en masse in preparation for my upcoming move (not because I just inherently want to flip them), so there's literally no way I can be posting about buying a whole bunch of stuff when most of the money from selling synths is still cash.

Sjoewe posted:

C'mon Waffs, don't let it get to you.

All you need is a little basic knowledge about mixing/composing and some practice.
Just try to improve on your sound design before buying or flipping anything for a while.
Because it gets easier if you are fully acquainted with your synths and speakers.

The only synth I own right now that I don't have a really good sense of is the A4, which I'm definitely loving around and learning with. The 303 is kind of self evident and I can make the Phatty do whatever I want it to since I put a ton of time into learning it. Right now what I've been trying to work on a lot (and thanks to a bunch of people in this thread for specific advice) has been mixing and compression. Composing is still my weak point, but I'm trying to learn more music theory at the same time, but composing is something that's definitely going to take me more time than EQing and compression. Doesn't mean I'm not working on it.

Actually, on a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for practicing composition stuff on the go? It's easy enough reading about theory, but it's hard to practice that stuff unless I'm actively sitting at my desktop (it's actually one of the reasons I'm loving the A4 right now, I can try my hand at composing stuff away from a computer). I don't know if any of you with a more formal background know of any good tricks though.

A wise man once told me: "give no fucks what others think, buy what you want, don't post self loathing crap, don't rag on others, try new things, be your own person, get away from the internet, make some drat music, and always show love". That wise man was Lyndon Baines Johnson, our 36th president.

For a really bad poster you're a really good poster. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Either get an OP-1, 2-3 of the Volca's or an ipad/iphone with some instruments on it (anything with a sequencer, some sounds, and the ability to record) and take them with you and just write when you're inspired.

Since I'm not going to buy an OP-1, any suggestions on apps for the iPad? I usually have that with me and can noodle on that a bit.