Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I was browsing at a local Sam Ash, and they took in a Korg 01/W FD as a used item. It's got one sticky F sharp key but otherwise seems in good shape. They want $250 for it, and I'd like a starter synth if for no other reason than to get a little more 80s-ish sound. I've already got a digital piano, so this would be just an extra thing.

Should I go for it or is it not a good idea for a starter synth given the price? (also, built-in floppy drive... hello ancient technology that used to be everywhere, I missed you)

(also this is the most awesome promo video ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWnm98gcgo)

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wouldn't buy anything with a sticky key unless it's something super rare and sought after so that it would be worth to fix it. $250 seems even almost steep for a synth of that type that doesn't have any problems.

~$60-$150 should buy you some Roland module that gets you sounds in the same ballpark, roughly (if your digital piano has midi out). Yamaha QY70 or something if you need a sequencer.

I used to frequent a local Cash Converters and I've learned quickly that you shouldn't buy anything just because it's right there in front of you. Take your time and do your research and never assume that any quirk will be a benign challenge rather than just an obstacle. Floppy diks, how quaint! Well, no. It's a royal pain in the rear end. What does it really have to offer that makes that worth it?

Yeah, I was doing some looking around. Vintage Synth Explorer had good things to say but nothing about pricing. Ebay has a bunch of 01/W FDs for way higher prices (assuming all the keys don't stick) and I wouldn't mind spraying some WD-40 onto the key in question if it's not a horrible idea, but I'm not diving into it or anything similar just yet.

The thing is that my digital piano is in my living room, and I'm not looking to put a rack in there. I like having it in the room and wasn't looking to turn it into a music workstation, and the only space I could put a module would be under the piano. Not liking the idea of bending around to make changes and such. A standalone synth, I could at least set up in another room or even at work during breaks.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Korg Triton Pro at a local Sam Ash for $450... worth it as a digital piano replacement if I want synth functionality and 88 keys, no weighted action?

Or a Yamaha S08 with a stand, case, and pedals for $500 on Craigslist... that's really, really tempting. 88 keys, weighted, an actual synth... ergh. I'm really tempted to take the plunge so I can at least still have piano feel.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Griff Lee posted:

I bought a P-105 Yamaha digital piano, 88 eighted keys, for about 600$

It's USB so you can obviously sync it with any digital synths you have, plus you have the advantage of also having a piano.

Yeah, I currently have a Casio PX-130 that I got last July for $300 on Craigslist. A friend of mine said she'd buy it at that price whenever I want to sell it, and I don't have a laptop to bring into the living room for use as a DAW. I tried DAWing and it's just too drat much for me right now. I just want to futz and it's easier to do with knobs. The PX also has USB, as does the S08.

Only downside is that I'd have to buy speakers, but I have decent headphones I can use until then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A thought: I have a digital piano. It has 88 keys and weighted action. Is it at all doable to hook up audio or MIDI output to modules? That way I can do my futzing with envelopes to get synthesis going on and add as I need, rather than paying out the rear end for an 88 key weighted action synth.

I don't plan on gigging and I could always hook up a laptop for sequencing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone's interested, I have an RM1x in great shape with original manual/voice list, working floppy disks, original PSU, and gig back listed in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone want a Synthstrom Deluge? I'm selling mine in SA-Mart.

If you want to put down the OLED deposit with Synthstrom I'm happy to ship it to them and have them ship it back to you once the retrofit is done.

This thing is fun as hell and surprisingly intuitive to learn, but I'm realizing I'm not the "make music" type and am happy with learning to play a guitar instead.