Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress the ASR-X. Knew the thing would be a boondogle, that's why I had the sense to keep passing on them last year. Think 2014 is going to be a year of poor synth judgment for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Moving to Hawaii? Need a midi controller?

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/4339782371.html

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Just got a jx-3p and a pg200 for 50$. Both look like they've been through a war. Does the 3p suffer from the same voice chip problems as the 106?

edit: never mind. cracking the thing open has revealed that the voices are -painfully- discreet. Gonna recap it, clean it and maybe get an oscilloscope and tune it.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 27, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The hell of hardware samplers: trip update. After going through 3 different cf disks (each of which offering a different error) I have yet to get the aztekmonster working with the asr-x pro. Gonna get a usb floppy drive and update the o.s. on it. On the bright side, I installed chickensystems asr-x tools onto my old, 32 bit o.s., laptop and now it actually works. So I'm at least able to edit patches on it. May be less than ideal if I can't get a compact flash drive working on it, but as what I mostly wanted it for was doing handrolled transwaves, and those will fit on a floppy, I'm now able to do the thing I bought it to be able to do.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I've been slipping through storage history. Got a 4 gig card, then a 2 gig card, then a 512 meg card.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mister Speaker posted:

Just went live with my TB3 and TR8 for about an hour; meant to post this but hit the post limit - oh well, the recording is saved at least.

http://mixlr.com/centurion-beats/showreel/because-gently caress-you-thats-why/

Woah, hold on a sec. Is that a Herbie Hancock Rockit beat coming in around 14.20? That's a crazy thing to have as a preset beat.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Needs more sun, fewer guitars.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

That's a very skewed good to bad synth ratio.

I can only pick out an asr-10, a microkorg and an m1. What's the deal with no rack gear though? I've got, like, not counting some novelty casios, 2 keyboard synths and all the rest of my stuff is rack.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

FYI I'm sampling out my RS 7000 and one of the pad patches is called Autism. Everyone should have an RS 7000 just so they can try out Autism

Hey, I got one of those. Bank and patch number? I'm tired of trying to get it via vaccines.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

net work error posted:

Here I thought Snapchat was just for dick pics!

Pretty sure someone got disappointed when they got a pic of a Yamaha LCD instead of a cock shot.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

So the E-mu Morpheus sounds interesting. Is it $150 interesting though? How many Wavestations is it worth?

Edit: I currently have 0 romplers, and this one caught my ear.

50-100$ more than it's really worth. Try haggling.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Proteustalk: I've always been intrigued by the Emu romplers. The demos I've heard make these boxes sound *really* cool. Very much a set of professional quality samples that have been used in a lot of big time tunes. I see the original Proteus peppered about in various studios but I think the 2k added way more features. I'm also pretty sure you can swap a lot of the ROM chips between units, I've been considering adding one of the sound banks to my E4XT but it will end up cutting down my available sampling memory (plus the listings I've found for the chips are expensive as gently caress).

The Mo'Phatt I picked up last year was definitely 50$ well spent. The proteus 2000 range has some incredible modulation options, the Mo'Phatt, at least, has a -crazy- industrial/noise/weird poo poo sample set. I never actually use it though because it is hard to patch. Not in a "hurp de durp, microkorg is hardest to program" sort of way, but like, in a real, quadrasynth sort of way. Layering and cross fading is basically what patching comes down to for romplers, the only one I could really get my head around is the Ensoniq MR engine.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If Roland wanted to be taken seriously they wouldn't have spent 20 years catering to wedding bands.

Roland -always- catered to wedding bands. It's just that the wedding band synths of yesteryear were Junos then D-50s.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well I had this problem all throughout 2013 and I'm still having it to this day, so I guess I'm just in a slump. I have all these ideas up in the old noggin, but I feel like EQing will be the death of them. I've tried tweaking monitoring positions and I feel like that helps for some issues but not for others. Hopefully I can get out of this hole someday.

Maybe I need more synths. But I just loving bought a Microbrute a few months ago. Although I'm still convinced I need a Rhythm Wolf when they come out. Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

You could, you know, always get someone else to do your mix for you.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Yeah, but the only friend of mine who has a legit studio uses FL, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. Maybe he's got Ableton too though. I haven't used that in a while but I would if it means he could tweak my mixes and make 'em pop.

I use Reason primarily and have since I first started producing years ago, and no one else I know uses it. But I've got Ableton too and I mess around in there every so often.

Nothing really preventing you from exporting each track as an individual audio file. Just 'cause you make your poo poo in reason doesn't mean it needs to stay in it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

That's true. I sequence it all in Reason too, though, and have different effects in Reason getting enabled/disabled at different times for different tracks and such. I suppose I could export individual tracks, import 'em into a different DAW and find equivalent solutions in that DAW, but that would take a lot of time and may not turn out quite the way it did in Reason.

Unless all that info gets exported as well...

(I'm assuming it doesn't but I don't know because I've never tried it before)

Brute force method would be to just solo the tracks one at a time and record them. But I'm pretty sure there's an elegant and relatively simple way to export audio tracks and retain the applied effects. "Importing" the resultant audio is just a matter of opening daw of your choice and dragging them all onto empty tracks. Doesn't even need to be done in a daw, really. You could, theoretically, find someone, or some studio, with a mixer.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Yeah those are good ideas for sure. Thanks :D What kind of hardware mixer would you suggest that would sync up with a DAW? Or do those not do that?

That's not really what they do. How you accomplish track sync, via brute force, is this: When you're sequencing, insert an empty first measure for every track, then put one one note on the first beat of that measure, again, for every track. Then you just have to make that first hit line up once you've recorded, solo, every track.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BKPR posted:

e: The first answer will likely be "make your own patches." I know. I usually do. But I still have this come up.

The second answer is, as always, buy more gear.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

I've yet to find a place/tutorial/writeup that can teach me anything about writing songs :(

Allow me to pimp out my opus of SA threads

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472948

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

So, an update regarding my Waldorf Microwave: the guy I bought it from doesn't accept returns and depending on how he responds, I may have to take this to arbitration with eBay.

Besides the XT, that's one of the best synths. Raw, totally unique sound and plenty of modulation options. It's worth it to get it fixed. Also, it might be a weird software thing, like updating the o.s. may magically fix it. Don't be pissed, you got a piece of magic, just one that's going to cost more than you initially expected. It's still worth it though, and this gives you a chance to do some preventive stuff like get caps and batteries checked and replaced.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Thanks for changing your spite avatar so it isn't a turd log.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HotCanadianChick posted:

I didn't change it, which means someone(s) was mad enough at the Internet to buy Lowtax two $10 Thai ladyboy hookers.

Think you could see it in your heart to love Lowtax enough to buy him half a ladyboy hooker so you can get rid of the red title?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That is a question that should not be asked. If it makes noises electronically and it can be patched, then it is a synth. All synths have redeeming qualities.

Interface: Case in point, Casio HT-700. At first glance, terrible. Single data encoder and a sort of cumbersome, menuless data structure presented on a, like, 4 character lcd. But, there's not a ton of depth to the synth (there's not really a ton of depth to a polysix or a minimoog either) so the setup is oddly adequate for navigating the parameters that it does have to edit. When it was made, it was probably as close to cost efficient as a design could be. So, it's still sort of an engineering feat.
Quadrasynths are great, but they're practically uneditable, unless you plug them into a computer. You're really supposed to plug them into a computer, they come with serial ports.
As, maybe, a better example: I doubt anyone called the RCA mark II easy to program.
Bad Sound: Subjective.
Build quality: This is legitimate. You could ask "what synth had the worst build quality" and come up with a sensible answer. The problem is, there is at least one otherwise fine synth that had build problems. Fizmo :( . Also, build quality is, like interface design, cost restricted. You could build a synth like a tank, but it would be expensive and difficult to transport.
Bad presets: The goddamn raison d'etre of synthesis is making your own sounds.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Cleaner posted:

Fair enough...

I'm buying you a DX-27 for your birthday. And I fully expect you to put it to use.

Make it a dx-100 and that would make me totally happy. You can either be two weeks belated or start prepping for next year.

edit: waffle, your inability to patch a synth does not make that synth unpatchable.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 3, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, I know I got it for my baby daughter, but I'm developing a -serious- crush on this jx-3p/pg-200 combo. As long as you've got an arpegiator (or, I guess, a tiny sequencer) and a knobby subtractive, synth fun is never far off.
Really should just get another ax-60/s612 so the child can have the Roland and I won't get jealous.

So inspired that I cranked this thing out

Sizone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 6, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Declan MacManus posted:

What's the cheapest CD-based sampler I could get? I made the mistake of adding mellotron parts to a band demo and now my band wants me to play those parts live and I'd rather not take a computer around with me.

Honesty dude, a cheapo laptop or a used ipad would be so much less trouble than a hardware sampler.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
One of you better buy this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-EX-2...=item258dea54f5

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AnnoyBot posted:

The other one to look for is the 16 operator HX-1. 16 op FM- nothing else ever had that. A lady near my parents was giving one away last summer, but it was gone by the time I got hold of her.

Does it have 6 stage looping envelopes?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

KDW posted:

I need to replace a key on my beloved Microkorg. How would I go about doing that? Two keys, actually.

For some reason they just kinda get loose and fall off, like baby teeth, but no adult keys grow in their place.

Look up Korg's service department, order your replacement keys, replace your broken keys with the replacement keys.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Finally managed to update the OS on the ASR-X. The ASR-X tools work if I use a 32 bit platform (though I'm still pissed that I got charged 10$ for shipping for a non-physical product). Still can't get the CFpoweraztecmonster scsi cf reader to work though.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Neat. Finally got around to doing the battery mod on my Casio HT-700. Now that it stores patches without first needing to be filled with d-cells, I might actually get around to patching it. No, I said patching it, not playing it. TRUE TO THE SYNTH.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/4471094959.html

it's waiting, waffle. waiting for you.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Was hoping this was going to be a wavestation.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msd/4470861390.html

done

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also my wife poked a Novation polysynth thing with delay/reverb built in and now wants a polysynth. What should I get her? She's got a piano and composition background but no idea how to synthesizer.

You can have my ZR-76, but you have to screw it back together (and replace the encoders)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sizone we need to chill irl now.

No nothing for another 2 weeks or so, teaching a logic course which, when added to regular job, means I'm working about 60 hours a week.
Did get a chance to check out your Wavestation at Westside music. Looks good, think they want 250$ for it, also a pretty nice D-50 and a ASR-10 rack.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

KingKorg, preset 2: Synth 1984

It's an Oberheim patch!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Some day synth tastes will improve massively. The Yamaha cbx-k1 will be as widely cloned as the tb-303.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HaB posted:

Tried messing about with Yoozer's tutorials again - this time ON the Kronos. The Polysix doesn't let me select any waveform other than Saw or Pulse. Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

If it is a variable duty cycle pulse and/or pulse width modulation then, no.
Those are the waveforms most analog synths push out, that was it for waveform selection on the polysix, stands to reason that that's the extent of waveforms for an emulation of it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Just got word from my synth tech: my Waldorf Microwave is fixed! :neckbeard:

So what was the problem? A bad cap in the filter control section. :downs: He had some trouble with the circuit layout since the schematics I provided were for the rev. B version but managed to figure it out in almost 3 hours.

I'm going to pick it up Monday since I'm out of town until tomorrow. Expect a sound demo.

So excited. :fap:

A Sizone approved post. Have fun with your magic German noise machine. Modulate EVERYTHING.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

You lose points for not calling this the "Microwave's Mom demo" but gain points back for this sounding like the music from a sci fi movie from a few decades ago.

I guess Microwave's Mom would be the Wave. And, much like Microwave's Mom, I'd totally hit that.
Wanna meet that synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Oh god don't tempt me. I can't afford another synth (or rather, I shouldn't buy one since I'm going back to school). :ohdear:

What the gently caress do you think student loans are for?