Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sjoewe, post more mixes in the mix thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm pretty happy with my Volca Beats for the time being. It takes a few minutes to set the levels but the bass is pretty nice. I don't really get the complaints about the snare.

I might pick up a Rhythm Wolf or TR-8 depending on which one shakes out in the next few months. I really want something with discrete outputs for the kick and hats but whatever.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ejstheman posted:

Have you heard A/B with the stock snare and the snare from a modded Volcabeats? It really is much better, at least if you believe people with soldering irons on YouTube. The stock sound is clipped or something.

No but I checked it out and that's pretty cool.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4380688196.html

Does this seem like a good deal for the lot?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

utamaru posted:

Tested the tr-8 at a shop and I now need one. Getting a volca tomorrow to sate me through the summer and keep me sane. Apparently going to this thing: https://www.midihack.com Any synthgoons going there?

I mean I hope I'm getting a volca tomorrow, the guy at the shop has been telling me so for three days, and their warehouse is just across town.
Good times. Better start building my ambika drat gently caress

Volca beats, keys or bass?

I'm pretty happy with the beats so far, the kick and hats are really nice. I sync it with an old DR-110 for the snare though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

utamaru posted:

Beats! Picked it up yesteday and I've been very happy. Some of the sounds are kind of poop, but hey! Can't wait to take a soldering iron to this thing.

The kick really is amazing. I also like the hats, PCM sounds, and the individual delay effect

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of Akai, what's the "best" value MPC? The new ones are all DAW based which isn't going to work for me. I see the 1000 mentioned a lot but I see 2000XL's and 2500's routinely go for the same price.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 18, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Has anyone been able to sequence the microbrute with volca keys through gate trigger? I found this video which seems like it's possible, but I can't figure out how to latch the sequencer like that, I have to keep the key pressed to run the sequencer, and the env trigger only plays one note from the volca:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSbeEKCNG0

Do I need to change the settings through the PC interface or something? I haven't plugged it into a computer yet....

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm waiting on the Rhythm Wolf as well, because I need to start gigging soon with my partner. The TR-8 looks very giggable as well because of the two-channels and the compressor and what-not. But I emailed Akai support and they said it's slated for June release.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Does the Mininova have an arpegiattor with a latch? I'm going to be covering both pads / drums / bass for my new gig (with a folk singer...) and I need something that can latch to midi clock.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Don't know if this answers your question, because in my opinion you're using the terminology weirdly, but:

Page 7 & 13 from the manual:

You can play notes to it and you won't have to keep holding them down. What the arpeggiator produces can be synced to an external clock.

e: Mind you that the Blofeld can do all that too, theoretically, but utterly fails syncing the arpeggiator in practice. So I don't know if those are empty promises. I don't have a Mininova.

This answers my question perfectly, thanks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Hey who bought a TR-8? At $500 I might just stick with my little Korg and my old DR-110. I really want something easier to gig with though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I really just want something that plays patterns with big buttons so i can use my left hand for a bass synth while my buddy sings and plays guitar. The little korg thing is nice but it's tiny and I'm not a huge fan of touch controls

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Number Two Stunna posted:

I was at the music shop a couple of days ago and I impulse bought a Volca Keys and I absolutely love it, It's an amazing little synth. It sounds great, and I adore the sequencer.

Are you playing it with an external keyboard?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Number Two Stunna posted:

Yeah, the little touch keyboard works pretty well for something so small.

Anyway, I like the Volca Beats a lot. I was underwhelmed at first because the sounds you can make are pretty limited, but when you're making music with it it just works so well, the sounds fit in the mix so nicely and it just sounds right. They're both great little boxes.

drat, I can't use the ribbon thing at all. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Love Volca Beats, you just have to mix the kick down a lot because it's so massive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I loved the Beats, especially the kick, the stutter and how you could record your tweaking, but I ended up selling it. In the end I just couldn't find much of a use for it, and the sounds weren't actually what I needed or wanted (besides, I needed the money). I'll probably regret selling the thing later, but ehh

The beats have great sounds for what I'm doing but again, I wish it had big clicky trigger buttons like an 808 or something. Changing up the sequence live is frustrating because the interface is so tiny, especially if your other hand is playing a bassline or pads. Considering a groovebox to replace it until I get a rhythm wolf or tr-8.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Even I experienced some minor gearlust watching this demo of the upcoming Analog Rytm.

And when they flip the Overbridge switch, I might not be able to resist.

God I know. This video is what does it for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov9iFyEGc0

But $1500 can gently caress right off. At least it's a better value than the OP1

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There's a Machinedrum UW for sale on my local craigslist. How much should they go for used?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well that sucks about the Wolf. How well does like an mpc1000 do for gigging? The Drummachine actually looks pretty similar to an MPC what with the sampling engine.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It's down to a TR-8 and a used R8 for $180 on craigslist for me. The TR-8 looks like it will be easier to sequence in a one-handed / live setting so I'm leaning that way. But the R8 looks like a fuckin tank and has tons of outputs so I'm torn.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can someone recommend a solid 2 tier keyboard stand setup? Something preferably that I can buy on Amazon, and would be suitable for live shows. Right now everything is just sort of on the floor / my desk. I'd like to either rock a 61 key thing on the first level or my turntables out of the coffin, and the second tier for my microbrute + tr-8. I'm planning to use MDF or something like that as a baseboard since nothing seems to be made specifically to hold a pair of small instruments. Cheers

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is anyone good at the Yamaha CS1x? I'm trying to sync the arpeggiator to the midi clock on my TR-8 but the TR-8 also happens to be sending on channel 10 which is triggering the drums on my CS1x. I can turn the drums off individually per preset on multi play mode (which is a huge menu-diving pain in the rear end) but can't get them out of the performance mode. Alternately, can I turn off omni / midi send on the TR-8 and still have it send the clock? I read the manual but it doesn't say if clock is exclusive of channel send.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe, but it also has different sound engines and "layers" all going at the same time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I found a bug in the TR-8. When you turn off MIDI send, it still sends the default channel 10.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

My guess is that it's not nearly finished, or a poor representation of the finished product is why they took it down

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Um yeah for $200 that's a pretty easy buy decision

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Awesome, they fixed the midi out bug on the TR-8.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

just use hardware synths and bounce to cassette tapes :devil:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

And the flaming lips uses microkorgs in their live show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Does the System 1 have polyphony? Everything I've read about it points to it just being an SH-101 VA clone

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I want a vocoder / vocal effects processor. Should I get another synth or just a standalone thingy? I checked out the new Roland gadget but no MIDI / carrier signal input kills it for me

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is the micron worth $150? I kinda want it for the vocoder...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would be happy to just download patches to it, which is apparently a thing. I have other synths with knobs for when I want to make my own

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

See if you can find one of these bad boys: http://www.roland.com/products/en/PCR-500/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The_Wind_Spirit posted:

Can anyone vouch for the Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano? It looks really interesting, but I haven't been able to find many in-depth reviews.

http://www.critterandguitari.com/products/pocket-piano

Someone posted this a couple pages ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C430AWTvMPs

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It does

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Double postin', I have a Volca Keys and Volca Beats for sale, if anyone's interested in picking them up. $100 each or I can do a package deal for $180 shipped state-side. Thought I'd tell you guys before putting it up on the craig's list. Looking for an MPC1000 if anyone wants to trade / sell me one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

sleigh bells instead of hi hats obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Whats a good price to pay for an MPC 1000 with the black pad upgrade and updated software? I haven't seen it in person but it looks good in the pictures on craiglist