Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
i found a mint 303 at an out of town thrift store for cheap because they didn't know it's value

April Fool's!
Actually what I hope when going to places like that :(

In actual news, first ebay scam or something on a TX81Z of all things. Payment has been unclaimed since Friday. 0 feedback, so I guess I should have expected. His location is just outside of my town, and after internet snooping, I discovered we have a mutual friend on facebook? I need my FM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

net work error posted:

Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as someone keeping the forums alive via spite. :)

Oh, it's waste, alright.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Has anyone tried the Bassbot clone? Seems like that would be the closest and I would hope it would outdo the TB-3. Price isn't too terrible.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's pretty much perfect.

So, besides more cash leftover and SCATTER why the TB-3 and not that?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

More intuitive/jam-able and some of the alternative sounds are super usable?

Makes sense. I guess I have it so engrained that the 303 is sort of has a specific use/sound. I'll have to find someplace to mess around with the Aira series to see how I actually like it.

In other news, the TX81Z finally shipped. I was getting pretty certain he was trying to scam me (finally got back after a month: forgot I listed it. Then he was having trouble receiving payment saying he didn't see it, blah blah) But hopefully it all checks out when it arrives - only a suburb away, so less room for error. I need some FM.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm looking forward. I haven't played with FM much, but this will give me a good variety of sounds/synthesis methods. I'm glad it's multitimbral, though I wish it allowed for a little more performance control with the interface. SH-101: VCO, JX-3P: DCO, TX81Z: FM, S1000 & TR-707: Sampling.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Messing around with the synths over the weekend turned into a little cover of Julius by Starfucker. That's one of the few songs I've heard by them, but I actually like it. I was surprised how it sounds with so little gear. JX-3P is doing triple duty. Playing back in realtime, and I was just messing around with the reverb on the DEP-5. Quantization messed up one of the notes in the chorus, but I was too tired to fix it. Fumbled around with free mastering plugins once it was recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/julius-jx-3p-sh-101-tr-707-dep-5

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I visited my parents' house over the weekend, and brought this little guy back and it turns out it is more useful than I thought. I bought this about 10 years ago at a thrift store when I was first starting to mess around in FLStudio. We happened to have a MIDI to COM cable, and I hooked it up to play around with. Don't like mini keys, but at the time it was nice. I needed a controller for my setup now that I have a couple that don't have a keyboard. The best part about it is that after some research I discovered that the M3 Function select button is to select MIDI channel! The first 10 white keys are 1-10 and the 11th is Enter. With the S1000 and the TX81Z being multitambral, this will make it much easier to use those. Before it was just JX-3P out into either of them (or sequencing using the spare drum parts on the rhythm track on the MC-500 for the S1000). The M4 apparently changes program 1-128 and was designed for their software. Haven't looked at too many dedicateed MIDI controllers, and it's probably a very standard feature, just thought it was nice this thing pulled through.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

sliderule posted:

The QY70 only has a single MIDI In/Out, so it's a bit less flexible. Also I really don't need the on-board sound, the on-board styles / accompaniment, the mini keyboard, or the portability. So it's a less than ideal option.

Assuming the hardware you will be controlling allows for setting the MIDI channel to receive, just get a patch bay like the MX-8. Send that one out to all the devices and separate by channel on the tracks. I just got one for my MC-500. Out 1 is for the JX-3P because its the first Roland MIDI synth and is technically omni unless you turn it on with its MIDI out into its own in, and will be channel 1. Out 2 covers the 707, TX81Z and S1000 (both multitambral).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Found a replacement floppy drive for my S1000HD, and it was able to read the disk that originally it came with (just had some programs and samples). I could have found a drive and configured it, but jumper pins are uncommon, and then you need to find the layout of the pins, etc. This one was reasonably priced, and listed as tested. I have been able to format low density, but it doesn't seem to want to format high density at all. Anyone with experience with the old Akai machines know if there is some trick? I've asked the seller, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Yup, and that just ends with an error. Low density works fine as long as the space on the disk is covered to indicate DD, if not it gives the same error at the end. Just surprising that one works and the other doesn't. "Disk Unusable - Bad Sector Area"

I'm going to try formatting with OmniFlop, and figured it might be a valuable resource for others, too:
http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I unfortunately don't have a known working HD disk to test. I should have checked what the included disk was formatted as before tried to format it.

Not sure the exact model, but it's a Sony. I would assume it would even try to do anything if it wasn't actually an HD drive when formatting high.

I've got two floppies HD and DD formatted with OmniFlop for Akai S-series. Will test when I get home.

~hardware hardships~

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I might be interested in some of it. Was the floppy for a particular S-series model? Not sure if this applies to all, but the S1k are configured for Amiga standards not IBM, and I would imagine later models were otherwise. How are the ZIP drives? I have the SCSI card, so I might be interested in the external one. I do like idea of not being limited to 1.44MB (or in my current case 720kb)

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Someone buy one of these and make it a modular synth:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

your music's got those innsmouth hooks

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Just pointing out the irony (coincidence?) of his namesake and the fact that you are trying to find him.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Is there a knob or button that will turn this into a good instrument?

"Sell One Like This"

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

This was likely discussed at some point, but how is the key interface on the TB-3. It looks cheap to me, and when I'm dealing with a sequencing method anything close to a 303 the last thing I would want is unreliability in the interface. Do you make use of the other functions it has?

I do understand the appeal, but when I feel I would get tired of the real thing fairly quickly (since I don't make acid) I can't see enjoying a preset box with a limited interface (yeah yeah, MIDI in) that sounds like it. I need to find someplace to try one out just to be able to.

I have been fairly impressed by the System-1 though. Do you think they'll make a 303 plug out? I think they incorporated the internal 101 sequencer but I wonder how/if they incorporated the trigger. So much easier than counting out rests, plus allows for longer phrases.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

/\/\/\ Good point on being able to use the sequencer with other gear. I would have fun with it for a while (the original more so), but it just baffles me how much they go for, and how much of a one trick pony it seems to me.

Nevermind I guess I was mistaken about the System-1. Looks like only the arpeggio. Guess there wouldn't be too much demand for it. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 5, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Completely agree. I wish more had it and I think that's part of why I don't lust after a 303 as much. I've had some good results in "acid" programming and weird melodies that you otherwise probably wouldn't have come up with, but you also get a more versatile synth. I also have the JX-3P and played with that a bit, but not the same with a poly. Before I lucked out on the MC-500 I was planning on doubling the trigger out of the 707 (or finding a 606 for two independent trigs) and just using that to make little loops. Thank god I didn't get sucked into that; would have been hellish to program all those rests. At least the 3P gives you some visual interface with the preset buttons lighting up for steps plus saving sequences to tape.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I can see the using the brute for multiple elements being a good learning experience for programming patches though. It will force you to program in a way that the different sounds won't be too in the way of each other.

Find a cheap MIDI sequencer. That will only give you one "instance" of the brute but you will more seamlessly use the TR. I would recommend a poly synth. I'm amazed at how complete my JX-3P, 707 and 101 sounds and that would be close to what you have (plus a poly) The TR-8 will probably sound better, too. Get a little mixer and ideally a reverb effect so it sounds less flat and dry. As much as I love the 707, I wish it had a little more low end and a longer kick. I sampled as close of an 808 kick made on my 101 with my s1000 so that has been nice.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

9ft 909...

http://vimeo.com/103121400

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Firaga posted:

So couple of pages back I posted saying something about my friend and I jamming on our TR8 and Microbrute.
Fast forward to today, my friend purchased a Zoom G3 and the Volca series and we are already scouting out a JX-3P on ebay. I'm kind of scared I am going to find him homeless clutching his synthesizers. I should note that we've been doing this for about a month or so.
Anyway I'm blaming you guys because I mostly put these ideas in his head and I didn't make them up out of thin air!!!!!

Just so you know: I don't think the TR-8 is capable of the trigger out to drive the JX-3P sequencer, if that was your intention. It might be able to on the assignable outs I see on the back. I remember hoping I could do it with some transient from a DAW, but it wouldn't work. They may have made it so you can, but I don't want you to get the 3P (good synth) and be disappointed with that. Look into it to make sure, but I would sort of be surprised if they did considering the small amount of gear that has that feature.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Kinda stretching the rules (no groovebox) but I'm going to try to make something entirely with sampling the SH-101 with the S1000 (basically the same names...) will try for as much percussion and things like that so it's more of a challenge. Had sort of wanted to try that anyways. Only 4MB of sample memory so that's part of the challenge.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Synthtember...

Made a little cyberpunk jam on the old hardware. Was fun playing with the reverb effect. Gets more interesting later in the track (still just a loop though)

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/wethern-district

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

OSCtober:

Started with the little bit at the beginning. As soon as I was going to make some drum patterns, the JX-3P was receiving the MIDI data for that as well, so I got the plodding little arpeggiation and built something around that. It might be too instructional/educational video soundtrack. (title spelling intentional)

I half want to turn the second part into a cover of Beck's Think I'm in Love.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/terminal

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 6, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Are any of you https://soundcloud.com/gulfxlundgrenxtho ?

Pretty :nws: it's kinda like Analord, but with a lot more asses. Tracks are decent, but the titles are pretty great by themselves.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Just bought this in hopes of providing an alternative stereo chorus for my JX-3P with less noise. Heard it talked about on some forum when I was looking around, and glad I found a demo that uses a synth. lovely blues riffs probably don't give me the best impression, and rarely do they have the effect on as subtly as this guy has. I'm pretty impressed at how nice it sounds. Hopefully its as similar with the 3P, and close to the original. I have a Roland DEP-5 with chorus/delay/verb, but it just doesn't have the same sound. I don't hate the noise from the 3P unit, but I don't want that plaguing everything I make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2A0ord8obo

oh, and control over speed depth is good too.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I like it too and it has a seashell to your ear soothing sound, but sometimes you don't want that. I wonder if that happens over time or if they left the factory with that.

I did see that there was an actual third party Juno chorus unit but it was like 230 euro.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I'll try to get in on the fall/winter thing. I haven't tried much in terms of ambient with the old gear, so that might be fun. I may or may not be running a microphone out my window and placing it in a tree...

on a similar note, this is one of my favorite electronic/electroacoustic (but also folk) albums that evokes such strong fall imagery and if y'all don't know him check 'im out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGwTk97Yfhw

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I say this mostly because I don't often know what the hell I'm doing: will there be someone who knows these sort of things handling some "mastering" to make it somewhat cohesive? With x number of workflows and setups, there will be a lot of variance. Mostly concerned about huge differences in volume, etc... something to think about.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

uh, forget all this winter poo poo: summer jamz:

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/continental-self

(amen break taken from a 45!!)

Also, the best song with sleigh bells is Blumenthal by Ulrich Schnauss.

e: The McCartney song owns, actually. I also love ELO, so... I only wish for more instrumentation.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 17, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

"How about fiddling with these knobs for a change, Aldo Cosmo?"

(actual title of the paitning)

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Just in time for Halloween, here is probably the most haunting and ominous thing I've ever made. Mostly used the cardinal image because it sort of reminded me of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut and the organ like sound. I now realize it is also pretty inspired by Richard Devine's Flask. All JX-3P with some verb.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/imepm

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

This isn't exactly the thread for this but have you thought about adding a bass line? The chord progression is great but it just feel a bit unfinished is all.

I agree that it's kinda unfinished. That was pretty much a loving around at midnight thing and I recorded it without much thought. Considered adding something else, but was ultimately too tired and wasn't sure what would fit and I liked that was more of a background kinda thing (drat MC-500 takes a long time to boot up, too). It's fun just diving in and seeing where things go, but I really need to actually try going in with a structure or whatever. I have trouble with demos because for so long the writing process has been combined with the arrangement/sound design.

I just met up with a friend last night at a show, and he has this little composition club type thing that he recently started. I don't think entirely synth guys, but there is a monthly prompt and I think it will be good to have some direction and additional pressure to actually do it and sharing it to real people (easier to flake out online, unfortunately).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I started to play with my gear last night, and the rimshot/trigger on the 707 was starting to not play/drive the 101 sequencer when there was another sound programmed in on the same step (on the MC-500 rhythm patterns not internal sequencer) and then it just stopped entirely but I could push the button on the unit and it would work. All other sounds worked fine.

Frustrating troubleshooting and testing - plugged the 707 directly into the MC-500 to remove variables and it worked just fine. Turned out that when I got stuck in a MIDI processor menu on the patch bay (pressing buttons trying to get out with very sensitive membrane buttons), I somehow inadvertently pinpointed that specific MIDI information and set something up. I didn't go back and look to see what was done, but it just baffled me that it happened to be affecting one of the very important features of the 707 and nothing else. I was getting worried something had fried and I'd need to buy a new one. I would have never noticed if it was the cowbell sound.

This is what I made once I had it hooked up again:
https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/cga

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 13, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Your Computer posted:

So I made a couple of changes and it's now <3min instead of <2min which suits me fine. I made the snare a lot more prominent, which I feel ups the cheese-factor.

https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/cheesy31

It really sounds like an instrumental version of a track that's supposed to have lyrics though, anyone got tips on that part? I feel like a lot of the stuff I make ends up like this, which is frustrating since I'm not much of a songwriter and I really only wish to make instrumental stuff :negative:

I slowed this down to about 84bpm (no pitch correction) and holy poo poo it's my jam right now

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I'm intrigued, by no pitch correction do you mean it's only slowed while retaining it's pitch or that it's lower pitched?

Yeah, lower pitch.

http://picosong.com/4GwK

Also reminded me of this demo tune that also owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_YmUmAMwU

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

It works the other way too. If you haven't heard these, they sort of make the drukQs sequencing make a little more sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__QS6bUV4Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I made this late November, but finally getting around to posting it. Mostly happy how it turned out at 2:15 with the chorus arpeggio and the verse chords are together. That's the Peavey DSC-4 chorus pedal I posted about earlier on the SH-101.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/new-gloam

gonna get workin on bonerjamz soon, which reminds me of the "italian porn" song and that it was sampled into this pretty great track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRNky9clbrc

there used to be a version of the original, but now I can't find it. besides one with like Christmas music over it