Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Can't go wrong with pretty much anything by Korg (except maybe Kaossilator, which is all right but overpriced) or Moog. I also really like Cassini, Audulus, Thor, and Modular. If you have a USB midi keyboard, grab a cheap camera connection kit from Amazon and you can use that to run your keyboard into your iPad, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If we're branching out into sampling things, Werkbench and Samplewiz are also really fun.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

I'm really into this, but I feel like I'm not getting the information I need. It keeps saying 26 modules, but I haven't seen a list of what they are. The sound demos are impressive, but I don't know if it's all the built in sound generation or if it uses the sample library (I assume it loads samples? I don't know!)

That said I'm probably half an hour on KVR away from buying this thing.

e: from KVR

I'm a bit disappointed to not see a step sequencer there. I'm on the fence about this one, but that would easily push me over.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Reaktor is $99 again too, new version probably imminent.

I'd had Reaktor for a couple of years without really messing with it, as I got KU mostly for Kontakt and all the associated content. I just started poking around in the Reaktor user content area on NI's site, though, and holy freaking poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Vocaloid have some massively draconian license agreement that means that anything you make with it belongs to them, though? I thought I'd heard that.

Realitone has released a vocal library called Realivox Blue that sounds pretty decent. It runs in Kontakt or Kontakt Player. I got it with the introductory sale a week ago. My only complaint so far is the lack of short "a" and short "i" sounds (as in "cat" and "dick", respectively). You can use "eh" or "ah" for the short "a" sometimes, and "ee" for short "i", but it's not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDHaTz62Fs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

She should fit in a flat rate box. :(

Only if you deflate her first.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's frickin' bananas.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

I can grab a crossgrade of Komplete 9 for 200 bucks. Do they really only offer it on DVDs? You know, because modern machines don't really have physical media options anymore..

K9U comes on a hard drive, so you should probably just buy that for convenience's sake.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shoplifter posted:

Once you register I think you can download the disc images.

As far as I was able to figure out, you can't do that until you've installed at least some of it from the physical media. I didn't try too hard, though, so I may be wrong on that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I keep trying to convince myself into / out of buying Komplete 9 Ultimate :smith:

I already own FM8, Reaktor and Diva but it's hard to pass up on all that other stuff. I have been waffling on this decision since it started. I keep telling myself it's worth it for the Reaktor plugins and the other effects but I still can't decide. Maybe I can remain indecisive until the deal's over and not push back my root canal until next payday?

C'mon, do it. Don't be the only kid on the block without it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Komplete saved me from having to buy FOUR grand pianos. That's a savings of fifty thousand dollars!

I finally stopped having to hire a full orchestra and African percussion ensemble every couple of weeks. Paid for itself a hundred times over.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Stop hiring from the more developed parts of the continent imo

Man that used to be true, but Congotronics has the whole dang continent thinking they deserve more than fifteen cents a day.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Any further news on relative_q?

Two days ago:

quote:

Just got in to see Paul and get the update from last night's examinations. They didn't test him as long because his BP and heart rate spiked, and the nurse reported him being extremely uncomfortable. As I came in today, they were examining him, but under sedation. He is still responding as he did before the seizures and continual rest, and still no response from his legs, feet, and toes. Shivering has pretty much stopped, but his temp is still up. He is still being monitored for seizure activity via the EEG, but like before there hasn't been any yet.

Latest:

quote:

Last night was uneventful for Paul, but the updates we get keep saying he is not enjoying the examination process, but who would? His temp was up before I stepped out for a few. Propofol doses have been reduced and he has been coming to for a very brief time more often. It happened earlier when he had the hiccups.

We are limited to two visitors at a time today and most of the time Paul's dad and I are with him so maybe just keep it to hang outs in the family lounge today. Your positive energy and presence is important to him and to me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some good news!

quote:

Paul's father, Luke, informed me this morning that Paul very well might be taken off the ventilator tomorrow granted his breathing remains good like it has been today! Best news I could have hoped to see today.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you have a Mac, logic is $200 and comes with a shitload of content.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

gently caress yeah

It's live on their website now, here's the most important new one obv...

I can finally live my dream of stomping on an anime character. A dickgirl with a metal choad, no less.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Miku is actually a VST/program not an anime character.
:goonsay:

Watch out buddy I'm in a stompin' mood.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

david mammoth posted:

Synth reviewer/80s television collage auteur Jexus is apparently going to be doing a Q&A thing on the r/synthesizers reddit on Friday if anyone's interested.

That looks amazing, especially if it retails close to the other Volcas, though apparently you can only upload samples via an iPhone app which is a bit weird.

Aaaag gently caress. When and how much?

Sizone posted:

She is a program, she is a singer, she is a little girl, but she is not an anime.

She is also an animated Japanese schoolgirl-looking character with big freak eyes. If there's some subtle distinction that makes her not an anime, I'm actually pretty okay with not knowing what that distinction is.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

For all you front page readers

"Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She's never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature."

:thejoke:

Ah. Was not making the connection.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If anyone wants into the facebook group have any of the goons here hit me up!

Me, I want in.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Time to try out Vocaloids:
http://tindeck.com/listen/vasm :downs:
..beep boop

Is there still not a Mac interface for this? I'd really like to play around with it. I've been messing with Realivox Blue lately. It's pretty when it works, but it seems fairly limited compared to Vocaloid.

Oh hey, while we're on the topic - does anyone have leads on good free or cheap speech synthesis packages that do relatively natural-sounding speech?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've mucked around with both of those. Some of the built-in speech synth stuff on OSX is actually pretty good too, particularly the Alex voice. lately I've been occasionally hearing a fairly natural-sounding female speech synth used in some commercial stuff, and I've been wondering what it was. The most recent time was on a bus in Osaka, giving English-language announcements. I wish I had a sample to post, but unfortunately I don't.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually it may have been one of the LumenVox voices.

http://www.lumenvox.com/products/tts/

They don't really seem to have a licensing setup that would make sense for someone using their software for musical purposes, though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bangbus already makes enough money on its own, y'all.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pfs Write posted:

nah thats post-acid

speaking of i really still like sony acid

Seriously Acid is the music program that hurt most to lose in my PC -> Mac migration.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Intelligent Dance Music? That's gotta be the most pretentious genre name I've ever heard :shepface:

Then you haven't heard Mensacore!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

illestG posted:

Is anyone by chance interested in this little bleeplabs drum machine ?

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2013/01/dam-drum

If you do want it, I'll throw in a bunch of 9 volt batteries.

How much?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm making a retroactive new year's resolution to learn how FM synthesis works and finally use FM8 in something. That's the thing about Komplete Ultimate: there's so much amazing stuff in there that you can have a truly awesome gadget in your arsenal and still just never get around to messing with it. I use Kontakt in pretty much every project but I rarely touch FM8, Reaktor, Battery, or Massive. That's just silly and IT ENDS NOW.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

The sample battle sounds more interesting. The other idea is nice in theory, but that requires tracking down a bunch of free poo poo and then learning how to use it well, which means less time actually writing music.

It should be set up so that everyone has to contribute one sample to enter.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Just jumping in to say I never said anything about trackers! I don't think we would get a lot of submissions everyone had to sit down a learn a new piece of software just for the challenge. :( That's all.

Yep, that would take me right out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You don't want to know where the switch is on the body pillow.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UncleBlazer posted:

I'm a completely newcomer to synth, is there a good guide on creating sounds?

I've been using synths on the iPad so far (animoog and casini) and not sure how to get a really nice, warm, space-y sound. Like tycho basically :downs:

Is there a digital synth for PC I should buy? I might take the jump and buy a ms-20 a few months from now.

For my money you cannot go wrong with Native Instruments for software synths. For pretty much any type of synthesis you want to learn, they have a synth that is one of the industry standards. If you really want to get into it, though, I'd consider buying one of their Komplete bundles. If you wait a bit, they're due for a sale soon I think.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UncleBlazer posted:

I'll keep my eyes out for the sale, what are they usually discounted by? Even 10% would be huge

They do a 50% off sale once or twice a year, which would put Komplete in the $250 range. It's been a while since they had a sale, iirc. Even with regular Komplete (i.e., not Ultimate) you could literally spend years exploring all the stuff included. I've had Komplete Ultimate since 2010 and there are still corners of it that I keep thinking "man, I should get around to learning how that thing works". The tools I do use on the reg have become so integral to my work that it's literally the most-used single musical purchase I have ever made.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

Pick up a copy of Massive. There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube that use Massive as the synth of choice.

Totally agree, but the thing is that Massive is included in Komplete, and if you wait for one of the sales Komplete is about the same price as just Massive on a regular day.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

khysanth posted:

This isn't strictly synthy but I'm in the market for a looper, mostly for vocals. Been looking at the Boss RC-300 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it or other loopers.

I use a DL-4, but I haven't tried many of the others. I just bought the DL-4 because I saw that Andrew Bird and TuneYards use them, and I assume they know what they're doing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

This case is really cool, what is it? Did you just dump a system into a case for something else?

Looks like a big Pelican case to me. I use them for my field microscopes, but never thought about using them for a modular!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rhythmic Robot just posted a really nice tutorial on getting vintage synth tone. Someone try it out and let us know how it goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_N3A5gVhQ

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only use soft synths so I'm just going to throw my laptop off the deck until it's cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Is the big selling point on bitwig just the isolated plugins and environment?

Copying my post from yospos:

good things:
really neat automation and modulation stuff that lets you do stuff super easy that would be a massive pain in other DAWs
if you have plugs that take midi/audio simultaneously, bitwig handles those seamlessly, logic makes them a bit of a nightmare
interface is way prettier to my taste
midi and clip editor ditto, and there's microtonal editing for the builtin devices which is cool as poo poo
they are updating it on a ~monthly basis so poo poo is getting fixed and added with a quickness
has a clip launcher view that is a lot like ableton's, but works really well as an old-school DAW

bad things:
no AU support yet (but they're supposedly working on it)
various flavors of idiot poo poo with sustain messages
seems to max out resources quicker than any of the more mature DAWs, but really only with some plugins (if there's a pattern there I haven't found it)
no video support
no time signature changes (tempo yes, but not signature)

as I say though, they are updating it constantly so it seems like a lot of the actual fuckups will get ironed out soon. i'm guessing the video and AU support will take longer. on the whole, though, I just really like the flow a lot better than logic's - it feels like it gets in the way a lot less often, and has everything you want exactly where it should be. even with the slightly screwy bits i much prefer bitwig to logic. i'm working in logic today, though, because i'm scoring some poo poo to video. it feels like walking in quicksand, creatively speaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though look around Youtube a bit for Bitwig modulation tutorials, there are some pretty insane possibilities. The four big modulator devices are LFO, Step Mod, Audio Mod, and Note Mod. The first two are pretty self-explanatory, but the last two slightly less so. Audio Mod lets you use the volume of any audio track to modulate any parameter(s) of any device in any other track. Want to use your kick drum to modulate the reverb on your strings? Two clicks and you're laughing. Note Mod does the same sort of thing with MIDI note data, so you can use the notes coming from one of your tracks modulate parameters of any effect in any track. The level of sonic fuckery that enables is awesome, and the fact that it's seriously just a couple of clicks to do any of that is what really sells it - if you can think about it, you can do it in a couple of seconds. My one complaint about the automation is that some of Bitwig's promotional material seems to imply that you can modulate MIDI messages themselves (velocity anyway). If you really can, I haven't figured out how. That's a bit of a shame, as it would allow an easy way to use step mod plus some randomness to humanize drum tracks in very flexible ways. Presumably they're working on it, assuming it's not just hiding somewhere in the program.