Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
When cult/horror movie director John Carpenter was asked why he made such great and timeless synth-heavy soundtracks throughout the 70's and 80's, he basically said it was because he couldn't afford to hire a orchestra. Using just his basic musical background and a few synthesizers, he could synthesize a full score complete with brass-like horns, string-like strings, and all sorts of realistic synthesized sounds... without having to hire anyone.

Always thought that was kinda interesting, how it was done more out of desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

there's boxes and stuff piled around the speakers.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I consistently have a hard time with is managing super low frequencies because I straight up can't hear them on these KRKs and my neighbours probably wouldn't be happy with a sub.

You don't need a sub that bad. KRK's aren't the best thing in the world but most musicians fair decently without the KRK sub. First make sure you're using reference mixes, then move all those "boxes and stuff" in front of your speakers when mixing. Also you may want to treat your studio or at least make sure your not getting some weird acoustical issues with your room and walls reflecting sound.

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

The above line was meant to be a setup, to what I assumed would be a half-hearted joke. "Need another 303 haw haw!" or something cheesy. 2 angry pages too late, but just know I was just kidding/teasing when I posted that dude.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Any suggestions?

Just to narrow it down, you're looking for a:

- Polyphonic synth capable of good pads
- Low price.. so a VA
- I'm assuming like $800 and under

Pretty much any VA can do the job, it's more or less just finding one you like to twiddle. God that sounds dirty...

How about a second hand Access Virus C? Can do great pads, and of course it has all the bells and whistles. Lots of knobs. I've seen a few go for like 500-600 lately.

Or if your really on a tight budget and are looking for something easy to program, maybe a Novation K-Station? Probably find a used one for like 300-400. I've gotten some pretty tight pads and strings out of it. The Mininova's also got some pretty shimmery and lucid sounding strings and layered padlike sounds. Not as easy to program but still sounds great.

I've also heard some great pads outta the Blofield.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I've only played it in store but yeah it does great "modern" sounding pads and strings. Where as IMO the Microkorg/MS2000 does better retro strings, especially with the wavetables it uses. But when I say retro I mean like 1990 Twin Peaks soundtrack.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

BKPR posted:

A "sound library" that consists of someone noodling with their monotron for an hour, uncut. In beautiful 44800kHz.

This has gotta be a joke.
For an additional $20 you can literally purchase the synth he used to create the... ahem... "sound library"

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

What would you guys rate as the WORST synth of ALL TIME?

You can only pick one. But don't just poo poo on a synth because alot of people like it, you don't, and you resent that. For example you may not enjoy the Microkorg and find it's interface annoying but come on it's still an MS-2000, used alot in music, so be realistic it's not the "worst synth of all time". And neither is the Minibrute, as only a small percentage have been complaining about those keyboard issues and power failures, but most people have yet to break theirs and it's pretty popular for a reason.

I'm talking a synth that fails on multiple levels...

- Bad interface
- Bad sound
- Bad build quality
- Bad presets

What synth would you nominate?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Sizone posted:

That is a question that should not be asked. If it makes noises electronically and it can be patched, then it is a synth. All synths have redeeming qualities.

Fair enough...

I'm buying you a DX-27 for your birthday. And I fully expect you to put it to use.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

KDW posted:

Ask a dumb question, get a simple answer. Thanks!

It's only one cord that connects the keyboard to the main circuit board... so while your digging around in there, mine as well mod it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

net work error posted:

I bet it sounds better after added more wood to the sides.

It adds alot more bass, and the low-end registers more. Thicker sound overall.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Stick all synths in drawers and then just wire it all through a nice patch-bay next to your underwear.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I'm confused as to what people mean when they say they can't seem to "integrate" hardware into their setup? All I've ever done is simply send MIDI notes to whatever synth and then recording back into the DAW, with on-the-fly knob tweaking. Maybe if it's a Minibrute I'll have it interact with some CV to the eurorack, but really that about it.

Is there some type of sequencing or complex analog integration I'm missing out on?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

0dB posted:

The cables do tend to be a rats nest given time. I'm at 32 physical MIDI cables and about the same number of audio channels and seem to spend more time on DYMO labelling and bundling than music making.

No I mean, what I've been hearing from people is "I bought an analog, couldn't get it to integrate with my DAW, how do people use hardware?"

You are like the opposite extreme.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you cannot get 1 MIDI cable into your Minibrute and then 1 instrument cable back into your interface without tripping on wires, having your computer crash and ripping your hair out... I'm a little concerned.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

people might want is not having to print anything to tape (so to speak) until everything is finished. This requires total instant recall of presets and parameters and midi automation in and out.

vsts do enable me to maintain that non-committing workflow

THAT explains it. Thankya.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

net work error posted:

Suggestions on similar synths? What I liked most about the Mopho was the flexibilty it had thanks to the DCO's. In the end I may try and just sell it to get the keyboard version of it tbh.

I'd say go with the Mopho Keyboard at that point. It's pretty much exactly what you are describing to look for.

Struthi sounds good from the demos I've heard, but sounds very different from anything DSI.

Minibrute is good but it's not DCO's.

Evolver is great but honestly it seems like you are looking for a keyboard version of something, with knob-per-function style programming. And while I've seen MonoEvolver Keyboards go for around $800-900 used, it's more rare and that might be out of your price range.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I load trucks at Home Depot.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Firaga posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I need to look into all of these things now. Maybe I'll just open a line of credit and take out a mortgage for a euro rack.

After your done playing with those toys, you should check out this one company called Buchla.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

If price is any concern when building a modular rig, my only advice is to START and END with one single smallish 9U pre-built and non-expandable case, and just straight up limit yourself to that.

Otherwise you'll end up with 21+ filled up Happy Ending Kits and divorce papers.

(and ALOT of boring acid demo-tracks on your Soundcloud)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Please check out my Robot Fart Box demo video. It is my crowning achievement.. and not a total rip off of Jexus.

http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Startyde posted:

Good farts :golfclap:
Is that the cvThree from control?

No. It's a bunch of other modules and stuff.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

No I built the case from scratch.

Cost me about $90.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Sizone posted:

Excellent idea. You should start with this rare, one of a kind Roland Korg Electribe

Man that would go great with my Moog Monotribe

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Also I've put my first toe into the modular ocean... I'm still many hundreds of dollars away from quality robo farts :negative:

Hahahah..

"hundreds"

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Comedy option: Microkorg

Alright you bastard, that's the last straw.

This fall I'll be modding/rebuilding my Microkorg in a huge way, and I will make another Jexus style video, and all robot farts will be blown right in your freakin face.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Anyone got some pro quick tips?

You need gear, and LOTS of it. :science:

The more gear and hardware synthesizers you can own, the better. More = better. Repeat that like a mantra. Also the more expensive, the better your music will sound. Really, 100% analog is the easiest way to sound best. The more options and choices you have, the easier you will be able to create fully written structured songs.

Try and get a hold of some hardware samplers from the late 80's/early 90's as well. Really easy to load sounds and to program. Just force yourself to learn on them. If you really want to go for digital sounds and to program your own synthesizer presets, nothing beats a Yamaha DX7. Fast learning curve and easy-to-program interface.

If budget is a constraint, some of the cheaper-yet-professional synths out there can be found on buchla.com

Just remember, have fun man.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

apparently some sadists like the Korg MS2000.

If only they could take the powerful engine and sounds of the MS2000, and condense it into a smaller portable design. Something more micro...

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

sliderule posted:

At the same price, I'm torn between the Shruthi-SMR4mkII and DSI Mopho. My guess is that the Mopho is the better unit, but the hackability of the Shruthi is attractive. Am I likely to be disappointed by either?

I'd judge them more on the sound, as they sound significantly different.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Surprised more people here don't just design and build their own modular cases from scratch. It's really only a few pieces of metal you need per row, and this guys prices are great:

http://erthenvar.com/store/casehardware

That's how I built Robot Fart Box (http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M) which cost about $200 total and although it's not perfect, it is exactly the size and shape I want it to be. I mean modular synthesis is all about building your own synth piece by piece, right?

I mean, if I could do that for 200 bones with little to no design experience, I can imagine what some experienced goons could come up with.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

How do you play notes through a rack synth, do you run a midi keyboard in or is it some cv thing?

Yes. You just need a eurorack module that converts MIDI.

I myself use a Kilpatrick MIDI Converter module. Although it's modular we're talking about so pretty much every eurorack company has their own. It's pretty much what it looks like: You plug whatever you want (Your computer/daw, MIDI keyboard, whatever) into the MIDI in, and can then send notes or trigger cv to your oscillator/drum-trigger/fancy-pants-module.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

edit. problem solved

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 8, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Zvex Instant Low-fi Junky is one of the few pedals I find sounds better on synths than guitar. Makes even the most sterile VA sound like an analog from the 80's.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Perhaps Im browsing the wrong (or right) forums, but I have never once read anyone making GBS threads on someone else because that person cannot afford a $10,000 synth.

If anything, Ive seen ALOT of the opposite - people making GBS threads on someones expensive gear, saying it was a waste of money, how they cant make music with it, how its not worth it, they cant write songs with it, they got ripped off, etc... basically jealous haters. Now THAT Ive seen in abundance.

However that being said if anyone has a link to where some poor broke musician is being mocked, post it on up.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Startyde posted:

I can't tell if microgenres are supposed to be tongue in cheek or if just every hack music journalist wants to be the dude who coined a name in case one blows up. They definitely make me feel crotchety regardless.

We need a microgenre for when you directly compile your modular synth YouTube videos and release it as musical album.
I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I just wanna create a stupid name for it and this thread is the place to do that dirty deed.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Sitting around on a Saturday night making robot farts, this time with the Analogue Solutions "RED SQUARE".

http://youtu.be/3is9daHy6QY

"I think you'll find it a playful little dish; hints of Moogish warmth yet with a distinct Analogue Solutions tone. Recommended for bass and low end, however don't feel afraid to push it into experimental territory. If you can get past the hiss and noise-floor with a secondary low-pass filter, you'll find it contains a quaint retro charm along side its cold Soviet-Russia inspired interface."

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

edit. SORRY guys I completely posted this in the wrong sub-forum.

Apologies. I'm still half-sleep.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2015

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

SORRY never mind I totally posted in the wrong thread. Apologies.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Quick question.... Can you use a Make Noise Pressure Points to manipulate the the overall pitch of the Make Noise Rene?

I remember watching a video where a sequence was running, and the guy would instantly shift the entire pitch of the whole Rene sequence via Pressure Points. I know someone here probably knows this off the top of their head and I can't seem to find any info directly on this.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

So I'm looking to add a synth to my live rig. And by rig I mean my keyboard stand which has about 8 inches X 8 inches of room left at this point.
I'm thinking a Blofeld desktop, if I can play it with a Korg Nanokey. If not I've got a tiny battery powered midi controller similar size.

But can anyone think of anything smaller than a Blofeld Desktop that has polyphony? Or at least decent sound?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Good suggestions. I guess at this point, it's just finding a midi controller small enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

snorch posted:

I wonder if anyone really uses the gooseneck mic + vocoder combo. Miniak, MicroKorg, Mininova and JD-XI all have it, but they all seem like such a crappy gimmick and are mostly not very good to begin with...

Go to the dollar store/thrift-store/pawnshop and get a headphone-mic combo set of hard-plastic headphones for like $4. Tear off the headphone wire, and now you have a head-set which enables you to do vocoding hands-free! I think I used the gooseneck once on my Microkorg and then threw it out.

stillvisions posted:

Also, my dealer called, and the RxMx has arrived. I've got another patch in progress for GoonScore, but I think that one's gonna be fun.

Same! That and the fxdf!