Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want to talk grooveboxes, as I think it'd be fun to have one. How do they compare in 1) ease to use 2) drum sounds and 3) ability to play more than just a short loop?

I've looked at the RM1x before, but I haven't seen any of those in ages now. I just found an ad for a MC-505 however, but it's a bit more expensive. Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any tips on dealing with friends and family asking to hear music you've made? I don't think they'd understand if you told them you're just really fond of robot farts :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HorseHeadBed posted:

Beats, Bass or Keys?

:vince:

I am without words.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is an MC-505 with a couple of "stripes" (probably dead pixels) in the display worth 330$?
Reading up on it, the display failing is apparently a common thing. No idea whether or not the dead pixel problem will get worse or stay as it is (still legible).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Very common, it'll get worse. You can try reflowing the panel contacts with a heatgun and that works often enough, just don't melt the thing. You can get replacements cheap if you do. That's about $200 more than I'd pay for one honestly. Any JV and step sequencer of your choice (say RM1x) would do you better unless you absolutely need the convergence.

$200 less sounds like a bit much, doesn't it? This is the cheapest I've seen. I'm looking for a groovebox just to have an alternative to DAW+VST, but there aren't many to come by here. Because of a couple of awesome demos on youtube, as well as the fact that it has a nice, large LCD, the RM1x DOES look very interesting, but I haven't seen one for sale in a looong time. They seem to go for between $250 and $300.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

I wouldn't assume that stripes and dead pixels are similar issues.

You're absolutely right, I just had a brainfart on the terminology.

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you're not averse to Ebay there are like 5 up right now for under $250. Really, I think most of the problems with equipment purchased there happen with analogue boxes since I've had zero problems with the non-analogue things I've gotten there.

I've tried looking around for synths there, but most sellers don't even ship here. For the few that do, shipping is at or above $100. :(
...In addition to customs :negative:

e: worth mentioning (again?) that I live in this synthless northern kingdom:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 20, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

https://soundcloud.com/traxus12/polysix-707

I'm just now starting to get back into making sounds after finally having my battery-damaged PolySix resurrected from the dead last week (that's a picture of the old CPU board on the Soundcloud). It takes 30 minutes to get into tune but I'm digging the hell out of it.

Polysix AND 707? That's probably my dream team right there. I have really nice emulations, but it'd be neat to have the actual machines sitting around collecting dust while looking awesome :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I had a dream about that synth once, I had 3 of them and was bleeping and blooping like mad. Was really disappointed when I woke up, too :negative:
Kind of been wanting one since, but I don't live in the states so shipping could get kind of expensive... I also probably can't actually afford it either.

If no one buys it before next month and shipping turns out to be manageable, I might be interested? :saddowns:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

renderful posted:

BitWig demo time! Ready to play with that sick looking modulation system. mmmph. Anyone else getting into that action today?

Oh hell yeah :dance:
I've been waiting for this since the first announcement so I'm crazy excited!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone should probably make a Bitwig thread, I'm sensing there will be some discussing to do about it, In fact, I have a question right now; have there been any info on version pricing?
It would be nice to know more about that before purchasing, since they may potentially require you to (almost) buy the program again each update if they decide to be assholes..

e: look at me posting about a DAW on this new page of the synthesizers thread :v:

vvv I mean for future versions. It would suck if you had to pay hundreds of euros every update (2.0, 3.0 etc.) vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I reaaally don't feel like being in charge of a thread, but someone please make a Bitwig thread! It seems there is enough interest on this forum (between the synth thread and the ableton thread) to have a nice thread! (The KVR forum is a friggin cesspool)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

I've gotten three different answers on whether having more headroom in digital recording is good or not. I'm so confused. Mixing thread was like "uhh headroom doesn't matter in digital" but in the home recording thread it was recommended to record to -6dB

I don't really know much about this, but I do know that in Ableton the audio will clip considerably if your signal is over 0. As far as I see it, the reason to never have the signal go above 0 is to avoid clipping, though I guess in digital it CAN be irrelevant (but as I said, in Ableton it certainly isn't).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The OP-1 seems neat and all, but I think the biggest negative thing to be said about it is the price. As far as I can see, it's not that expensive because it's a technical marvel, it's that expensive because it's halfway between a synth and a fashion accessory kinda like a lot of Apple products. In other words, a neat toy for rich hipsters.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Blofeld I bought from Your Dead Gay Son just arrived. This thing's awesome! I've heard it's easy to program, but I wasn't expecting it to be this easy. Going to have tons of fun with it :dance:

I don't own a cat to put on it, but here it is with a tiny rabbit-shaped speaker:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just bought the 32-key version (I'm gonna be so broke), and god drat. I tried it out in the store first (something I didn't get to do with the dreaded SL MkII), and while the knobs felt fantastic, the sliders were extremely loose. Kinda felt like someone just put a lego on top of the controller without even gluing it to anything. I suspected it might be wear, so I asked them to open a brand new one to check and I gotta say wow, the fresh ones actually felt really nice. The pitch/mod-stick isn't a problem either, as there's basically no chance you'll introduce pitchbend when you're just trying to modulate (in stark contrast to that controller). I actually like the keys more as well, they're a lot springier which I guess some people don't like, but having no prior experience with pianos it suits me fine. Add the fact that it actually fits my desktop and I gotta say I'm happy with the purchase :neckbeard:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So the A-300 is really neat but I've already hit a snag :(

Anyone here using it with Ableton? It's... not behaving. The encoders emit whacko data screwing with whatever midi learn I try to do whenever they're not at 12-o'-clock, and the sliders are all emitting pitchbend (?!). This is, of course, using Roland's own Ableton "preset" (control map). The control map 0 (Sonar ACT Map) is the only thing I've gotten to work properly (the knobs and sliders emit MIDI CC), but it can't be edited and it doesn't do transport control properly.

I wish I could see how the control map 0 is doing the MIDI CC, because I haven't found out how to do it yet. I'm guessing you might be able to do it with the "Free Message" type data? The only thing I've seen using it is the aforementioned pitchbend sliders E0 DT through E8 DT.

edit: There's a thing titled "Control Change" in the "Channel Message" menu and I just didn't see it until after I posted :downs:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 2, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

What's this bunny's name?!

Since it's really neat having a tiny speaker when you just want to sit down with a synth and do some noodling without wiring everything up, I've decided on the name Noodles :colbert:

Speaking of wiring things up, I've ended up in a situation where I have too few USB ports. My new MIDI keyboard only outputs from its MIDI port when it's powered by an AC adapter and not through USB. I have a Roland 9V adapter which in theory should be exactly what it wants, but it doesn't even turn on with it. It's also a pain (and expensive) to get a new one. This means that all the synths I connect have to be through USB, so that I can route MIDI from the keyboard, through the DAW, to the synths. Add the audio interface which also connects through USB, as well as mouse, keyboard and external drive(s) and there simply isn't enough USB ports :(

Am I correct in assuming that connecting the synths (i.e. several) through a USB hub would introduce unacceptable latency?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:stare:

You're a friggin wizard. Absolutely everything you said is spot on (and so quick!) and I got everything working perfectly now. I tried ctrl-f'ing the manual (it being 90 pages long) with several keywords to try and find this info, but somehow it eluded me. Thanks a million! :shobon:

As for the power supply, you're absolutely right on that too. I might have a similar model, as I just checked and mine's 500 mA as well. I've checked all the shops I can think of here and it's hard to find something with 9V that has even 1A though (and I've yet to find a single place selling 9V 2A). Probably won't need that anyway now that you fixed the problem for me though! :dance:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sad that didn't include DCAM. I prefer FXpansion DCAM: Synth Squad for.. everything :allears: Once you get good at using it, it's a VA "more-or-less-modular" beast.
Even using Strobe, the (at startup) mono synth, if you up the amount of voices and add some detune and unison fine-tuning modulation you can get the most insane super/hyper/gigasaws. At that's without touching any of the chorus effects (like the several modeled after different string synths) or polyphonic synth(s).

....I love DCAM, all right? :saddowns:

e: I have more VST's than I'll ever need though, with DCAM, Tremor, all the Arturia VST's, Korg Legacy (Polysix, Wavestation, etc.) and... a bunch more.

vvv I really dislike more or less all the presets, including the several free packs, and it does take a bit of work to get used to it. Once you begin mastering Fusor though... man. vvv

vvv Watch me do it again :madmax: vvv
e2: Meta-posting in the synth thread.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 4, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just calculated what it would cost to buy the synths that I really wish I had (in Norwegian prices of course), and it came out at about $10.000. Suddenly a modular doesn't seem that expensive :downs:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Final 18~ hours call on that freaky Imitone MIDIfier thing I'd linked earlier---has actually managed to hit all but perhaps the final stretch goal for an Android version as luck and effort would have it, and it isn't hard to reckon it just might manage it down at the wire.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanbalster/imitone-mind-to-melody

It looks interesting and all, but what the hell is this poo poo? :psyduck:

quote:

The best part: It's not just a promise. Imitone is fully-functional right now, and will be available to backers within a month after this Kickstarter concludes.
In other words; "I've already finished this thing, but I can't release it until I have at least $20.000 in my pocket."

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: Oh Flipperwaldt- something I meant to ask you- do you have any docs on the Blofeld MIDI implementation? The only CC I know is Filter 1 cutoff (69). I've been searching, but all I find are a bunch of ancient 404ed links. And the Waldorf site's surprisingly less useful than Access's. The manual's also very skimpy on details.

Couple of pages earlier he linked me this: http://cl.ly/T6L3/download/Waldorf_Blofeld_CC_List_Fixed.xls
:3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

D50s are still relatively affordable. Get one. Just put it under your bed, that's what MIDI was invented for.

I hella want one, but the only ones I've seen here have been ~$650. That's not affordable at all :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

I've come to think that unsctructured time is one of the worst enemies I have for making stuff. I need to compartmentalise things into "writing time, no sound tweaking" and "ok to sound tweak time".

And then you have people like me who has no idea how to write, and thus rely on the sounds to give inspiration.... but I can't make sounds without context either. It's a perpetual loop of terribleness.

I've yet to find a place/tutorial/writeup that can teach me anything about writing songs :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I have nothing of value to add to the conversation at this point, but I just have to say that I did a mad :psyduck: at that. It's literally IMDABES.

Also, I'm pretty sure the vengeance packs are all about sound exactly like what's really popular exactly when the pack is released (and not necessarily a week after). A lot of the samples are definitely useful though.

e: swagswagswag

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I just hope GlitchBitch doesn't syphon away sales from my own company's upcoming RapNigga.

e: also my Arturia Beatstep arrives tomorrow so I'm currently giving Monark some preparatory foreplay.

:allears: I cringed so hard at every time he said "Glitch Bitch" that I had to turn off the video.

Also, I'm very interested in hearing about the quality of the Beatstep when it arrives. I really want a controller with loads of knobs, and the less it costs the better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

On topic, SoftKnobs is aparently working on a completely new version of the Blofeld Controller vst, which includes a 64 bit version! Looks like it will include some sort of patch librarian as well. Looking forward to that; it's looking good.

Possibly some sort of mac version as well, but he's shy about that.

That stuff isn't vaporware? I could swear it looked like that last time I checked. If I could control my Blofeld like a VST that'd be the most amazing thing ever :aaa:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Edit: the old 32 bit plugin still works fine if you have a way to accommodate for that, I guess.
e: ^^ Well would you look at that. Thanks synth-thread, solving my problems before I even get to hit 'Post'!
e2: Oh, so I need a USB connection AND a MIDI connection to make it work? God drat, Ableton :argh:

That's okay, I can't use 64-bit VST's in Ableton anyway.... Oh wait, this plugin doesn't even work in Ableton :bravo:

It totally works in Bitwig though, and I gotta say it's pretty neat. One more reason to save up and buy Bitwig I guess.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Hmm, works for me in both Live and Cubase- although I haven't tried in Live 9. I did the blog thing on Live 8, 32-bit and Cubase 6 I think?

But yeah, if it works in Bitwig...

I didn't want to double-post, I noticed your post but it seems I need to connect the Blofeld with both USB *and* a MIDI cable? It's like Ableton refuses to send MIDI to the Blofeld (from USB) unless it's activated in Live, but the VST won't send anything unless it's DEactivated. Seems like a quite a roundabout route to use both USB and MIDI.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Just sat at my Microbrute for like an hour just making long distorted wee-woo sounds and had a blast. Synths are cool like that. :)

Yeah! I heard some rumors that you can make music with them too, but I haven't really bothered to look more into it. Music schmusic v:shobon:v

(I spend hella more time bleeping and blooping than I do anything that can be considered "productive")

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's the kicker though: scatter kinda owns.

:monocle: You heard it here first.

Weren't you getting one of them? If so, I really want to hear scatter used in a way that sounds good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm so happy, I just found the source of my favourite N64/GC music :neckbeard: (gently caress the haters, I love that faux-orchestral sound). Turns out pretty much all of it is the E-mu Proteus 2 Orchestral (and World for some tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9LZHLdF78
I mean.. just listen to it! Just the first minute goes Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, Wind Waker :allears:

Now to decide whether I want to spend $20 on an 8 MB soundfont... https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/node/57

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I'm so happy, I just found the source of my favourite N64/GC music :neckbeard: (gently caress the haters, I love that faux-orchestral sound). Turns out pretty much all of it is the E-mu Proteus 2 Orchestral (and World for some tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9LZHLdF78
I mean.. just listen to it! Just the first minute goes Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, Wind Waker :allears:

Now to decide whether I want to spend $20 on an 8 MB soundfont... https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/node/57

Update on this, I caved in and bought the Proteus 1/2/3, Orbit, Planet Phatt pack. ALL the cheesy old samples :3:

Had to give it a spin:
http://tindeck.com/listen/gokf

Now I just need to find a working soundfont VST. Any tips on that?
Cakewalk SFZ+ doesn't really work on a multi-core CPU (:negative:), and using Ableton's Sampler is a hassle since it has to import each and every sound and convert it to its own format, in addition to the fact that I won't be able to use it once I make the switch to Bitwig.

So yeah, just looking for a VST that can browse and play a soundfont. Not really interested in included filters and stuff, I have plenty of those already.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

VstSynthfont works adequately for me, but it's another 32 bit affair.

Now I see ShortCircuit has SF2 support to, so I don't know why I'm not just using that. Again, 32 bit, sorry.

These things potentially might work in Bitwig.

First one doesn't work, second one has a very clunky way of loading sounds..

Startyde posted:

If you can still hunt it down the free version of Highlife was great for soundfonts.

Doesn't work.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Updating with TX16Wx, which has a 64 bit version.

Works, but requires buying to use ADSR (?!)

I've also tried:
Phenome - doesn't work piece of poo poo
DSK SF2 - doesn't work
Jeskola XS-1 - works but does weird things like not keeping timing and dropping notes.

(Note: When I say doesn't work I mean that they won't load the soundfont properly. They only load the first sound.)

I also tried converting some stuff with Ableton's Sampler, but it seems to completely ignore and drop any envelopes, so every sound has 0 attack and 0 release.

Cakewalk's SFZ (the basic one without any editing) seems to have a version that supports multicore CPU's, at least.

It shouldn't be this hard to just use some soundfont files :(

e: Tried sforzando as suggested above, it doesn't work properly either..
e2: I saw someone somewhere suggest Native Instruments Kontakt; Maybe I should drop $550 on a player for the $40 .sf2 files I bought :haw:

e3: An update, it seems some of these actually work. I just tried DSK SF2 again, this time using the soundfonts that aren't Proteus 2/Orchestral and they worked. Just my luck that the soundfont I'm most interested in breaks 90% of the SF-players, eh?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

It should be *and stuff*

I know you're right, but at the same time; people have had 20 years to make one that works :v:

Anyway, I got it to work!
Manually editing the Proteus 2/Orchestral soundfont and painstakingly going through the 127 sounds, moving them between soundbanks (I noticed the second soundbank wasn't affected), I found the culprit at spot 113. Removing this aptly named "Strange Triangle" sound, and everything's working using DSK SF2.

e: holy poo poo I've been at this for over 2 hours. So glad I finally fixed it. Now to make some more delicious N64 sounds :neckbeard:

e2: It's LITERALLY the source of all my favourite sounds ohmygod http://tindeck.com/listen/nkbh

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 4, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sofullofhate posted:

So for posterity: which plugin worked for you?

As in the post, DSK SF2!

Non-horrible looking interface, working ADSR, no menu-diving to get to sounds, sounds displayed in a grid rather than a list.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Good thing they chose to eat an analog synth! VAs just don't taste like the real thing.

Well people do describe analog filters as being creamier :tipshat:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

*vocaloid stuff*
Are you intending to use it for Japanese or English though? The system is build on "characters" (personas?), and only two of them seem to work in English; the original Hatsune Miku (which sounds extremely creepy) and the newer "megpoid" that... honestly sounds quite good. It has a pretty strong Japanese accent though, interestingly.

e: Right, it's just a bunch of samples of some singer morphed around to create words. She has an accent so the vocaloid does too.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

Vocaloid is internally built entirely around the Japanese linguistic system of chaining phonemes so making it "sing" other languages can be very entertainingly/painfully strange!

Well that's the thing, the "English" versions are built to be English, but using a combination of several samples and then morphing between them. You could still do "sort-of-English" with Romanized Japanese (ai rabu yuu - I love you) for an approximation with any of the others, but it would kinda sound like crap (and even unintelligible to anyone who doesn't know how Japanese works). I think this sort of thing (vocaloids) inherently works better with Japanese, with their relatively strict consonant-vowel form. (I have no idea what any of this is called in English, I studied it for a while in Norwegian :gay:)