Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Hi guys. Gonna start trying to get into synths soon. What is the thread's opinion on the Roland System 1? I was looking at the Microkorg as my first purchase but apparently it's worse than I was led to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

I have an Ultranova and I like it a lot. IMHO it's great if you only want one synthesizer, and you also need a decent controller, and an audio interface for your pooter, oh and you also want to plug a microphone in somewhere.

You don't hear people talk about the Ultranova much on here, because nobody has just 1 synth. NOBODY

does the ultranova have a lot of functionality you can't access on the hardware alone? It seems like a lot of synths i look at are geared toward DAW users/production more than live performance (aka just dicking around) with custom VSTs for interacting with the hardware, etc. Really i want something with a bunch of knobs and such so I can play around and learn what the different settings and parameters do in a hands-on sort of way instead of having MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY right from the start.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

The Ultranova is perfectly good to use standalone, without a DAW. This is what I was looking for too. If I wanted to use a DAW and VST's I'd just get a keyboard controller and one of those Behringer knob boxes instead.

The Ultranova is 100% functional and easy to use from the front panel. I take mine to jam sessions, along with a small guitar amp, and it's all great.

awesome, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for then.

what is the thread's opinion on stuff like the Kaossilator Pro and similar products (for the same purpose: just for playing with instead of being the be-all and end-all of music production)? Are there similar products worth looking at? Should I wait for the new Electribes?

e:

unrelated to the above, this looks pretty cool

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
about to get an influx of cash and I'm on the fence between the Ultranova and the Roland System-1. Any pro/cons or alternate suggestions in that price range for a beginner?

also, I put together one of these last night: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1929

kind of like a diy monome, I guess (which I haven't actually used, so I don't know how it compares). looking forward to tweaking the software and hacking some knobs into it. :science:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Interesting. The knobbliness was why i was so attracted to the System-1. I thought it had 4-voice polyphony though?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

are there any good(very cheap) hardware midi sequencers about? I know nothing about them. but I know a want a sequencer rather than just a midi keyboard.
I want to get a shruthi xt kit but I don't want to end up having to click the notes down in ableton to get it to make any sounds, that's something i'm trying to get away from. it seems like it requires midi in before it can make any sounds.

you might be interested in the new electribes that are supposed to be available anytime now: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Gah, I think I'm adding the Electribe 2 to my "might be the next thing I buy" list.
It's something portable I could play live on and it does a lot of the things I'm looking for. It' doesn't look as flexible as far as sound creation goes compared to a lot of proper synths but it still does a lot.

And I'd still get to keep my Korg fanboy star.

I already preordered one. it looks so drat cool :stare:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I haven't seen any demos of the sampler yet either, but there have been several for the synth version (which looks rad as hell).

In other news, I ordered an Ultranova. babby's first synth.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
What stand should i get if I want a multi-tier setup? Most of the X/Z-type keyboard stands (like this one) look like you wouldn't be able to have, say, two smaller synths (or a small synth and a drum machine) on one level and a large keyboard controller on another. Or are they more modular than they look? this looks more like what i want (especially if I can add additional supports) but i'm not sure if i have room for it.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the first one I linked or the second one?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
cool, thanks, dunno why i didn't think of just putting a board on there

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've been screwing around with creating midi controllers and devices with an arduino. I just threw together a dirt simple clock source to synchronize multiple devices, complete with a knob to adjust the tempo -- midi is a really, really simple protocol.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ is an online shortwave radio tool from some clever dutch uni peeps; tune it into somewhere between channels and use upperband or lowerband or w/e to en-pinken or en-brownen (so to speak) the noise. Or alternatively just have some weird mongolian shortwave station in the background. Also useful for sleeping.

this is incredible.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
does anyone happen to know how the new electribe's midi adapters are wired? do they use the same setup in any of their other synths? I'm building some hardware that will use a similar setup (for space reasons) and i'd like it to be compatible with the electribe so I can just use a regular 3.5mm cable to connect them.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I impulse-bought a Rhythm Wolf and drat the complaints about the bass tuning are not exaggerated. thankfully the drums seem capable enough to justify the purchase but holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

renderful posted:

KORG volca sample, sampling SDK released as open source:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/meet-korgs-new-sample-sequencing-volca-sampling-open-developers/

This will allow anyone to create a sampling app that can input samples to the volca. I want to create a sampling app with no microphone that just generates samples based on DSP/Math. Additive synthesis ahoy!

holy poo poo! the volca sample just got a lot more appealing.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

this is an awesome track

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Does anyone have a BCR2000 with the Zaquencer firmware? Seems like a reasonably priced option for a hardware sequencer but I thought i'd ask here to see if there are any gotchas.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I'm looking for a mixer to plug a bunch of synths into. Most of the ones I have found in my price range don't increase the number of stereo line inputs as they increase in size, they just add more and more mic preamps; the stereo inputs seem to max out at 3 or 4. Do mixers that just have a bunch of stereo line in channels even exist? I know I can just plug the two stereo channels into two of the mono channels but then I have to sync up the EQ/faders, which seems suboptimal.

or maybe i'm just approaching this wrong; i'm pretty new to this :shobon:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

What you're looking for exists, typically in rackmount format. Try looking for "line mixer".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RX1602

nice! I knew there must be some shibboleth that would get me the exact product i wanted. I guess i'm pretty much stuck with rack mount for this?

e: these also don't seem to have EQs -- should i care?

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

if you're going into a computer, it might be better to buy an n-channel audio interface for your computer and mix in your DAW. Then you can add EQ/FX there.

yeah, i considered this, but right now i have this pathological idea of trying to do everything in hardware and then just recording the final mix on the computer. right now i'm still in the "tweakin' knobs and jammin'" stage of my electronic music ventures so having hardware would encourage me to learn more than just piping it in to the infinite flexibility of a DAW.

e:

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

As for mixer mixers, 16 mono channels equals 8 stereo instruments, or 5 stereo instruments and 6 monos, etc. If you don't need your stuff plugged permanently then you could just as easily get by with a non line mixer.

yeah this is basically the setup i have now, but i have a tiny behringer mixer with only two stereo inputs, both of which are currently occupied. once i get my electribe (ugh why do they keep pushing the ship date ahead) i'll need an additional stereo line in. in the interim i can just drop one of my synths down to mono and plug it into one of the mic inputs but i'd like to get something that has some slots open for future gear purchases :homebrew:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I prefer an all hardware approach but I'm weird like that. I code all day so PCs are the last thing I want to use when I'm chilling out sand jamming with friends

oh good, i'm glad i'm not alone. :hfive:

e: the DP-32SD (apparently the DP-24 is discontinued) looks rad as hell. it looks like you can connect a maximum of 4 stereo instruments for simultaneous recording (since there are 8 jacks); is my understanding correct?

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 10, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
If anyone in California wants the new electribe, it looks like the guitar centers in the bay area / LA have them in stock.

ship date listed for online orders is still late december :(

e: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Electribe-Music-Production-Station-110731122-i3933581.gc

they claim it's available at the San Jose, Pasadena, La Mesa, West LA, and Orange locations

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 15, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
no problem, it sounds like I won't get the one i preordered until after i get back from my christmas vacation so i'd be curious to hear what people think of it

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I Want the sampler it looks like an mpc1000 when does that come out

not until march apparently

e: although i heard a rumor that the hardware on the two is identical... if true it wouldn't surprise me if someone manages to hack the sample firmware to run on the synth version (or vice versa)

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

So I checked up on the ship date on the Electribe Santa pre-ordered for me from sweetwater and for those that ordered early enough, it's tomorrow. Yay!

ugh the one i ordered from guitar center still hasn't shipped yet. probably won't get it until i get back from christmas vacation :(

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I've been reading over Korg's terrible electribe documentation:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=717

I don't see any way to set it up to sequence another device as part of a pattern. there is a global MIDI channel setting, but I don't see any way to transmit only 1 part, or assign a channel to a part. let along different channels to different parts. Of course, I could be wrong, Korg manuals never tell you all you need to know.

But if it could work it would be great to incorporate Volca sounds into my noodling/jams with better sequencing.

i don't have my electribe yet (c'mon guitar center :argh:) but i've seen several people mention that each part is assigned to a different midi channel (1-16).

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
resolution: more robot farts in 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
holy hell how is it possible for the electribe 2 manual to be this lovely :psyduck:

e: oh i see the thing that actually tells you how to do anything is the "Parameter Guide" which isn't in the box. thanks Korg

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Massdrop has a deal on the Bass Station II right now if anyone's interested

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/novation-bass-station-ii-analog-synthesizer?mode=guest_open

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

I want one of those new Electribes. They seems to be sold out everywhere. Any tips for the US?

here are two places that claim to have them in stock

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/474494.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps
http://www.midi-store.com/Korg-Electribe-Music-Production-Station-p/SKU40888.htm

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
for those of you that have the new electribe -- what do you think so far? i've had mine for about a week and i'm enjoying it so far. i do have a few gripes about it but overall it's a really cool machine.

• step edit mode is really tedious, i really wish i could just hold down the pad in sequencer mode and turn a knob to adjust the note (this would work better for mono parts than chords)
  • the insert fx cut when switching patterns is really bad
  • 4 bars is kind of short but it's not that hard to work with, would be better if they fix the IFX issue
  • i really wish it had a proper EG instead of just attack/sustain, especially for doing pads and texture-type sounds. not too hard to work around, though, and you can sequence external gear with it so w/e

i don't have any experience with the earlier electribes so idk how many of these issues are better/worse on its predecessors

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Actually its missing sustain, it just has Decay/Release.
oops yeah that's what i meant

quote:

That said it's got some good features (volume and gate time for each step) too. It's just a pain to use them all.

yeah. i'm getting some great sounds out of it, and i love just being able to jam with it, it's just every once in a while i hit some stupid thing and can't do quite what i want and i get annoyed.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
anyone in the market for an OP-1? Massdrop has a deal on them right now, $720. IMO it's risky to buy one now with NAMM around the corner but it seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/teenage-engineering-op-1-portable-synthesizer?guest_mode=open

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
interesting announcements from roland:

JD-Xi, looks like a sort of a groovebox in keyboard format. 128 voice digital polyphony as well as a monophonic analog voice.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Yh1UqMjcE

there's also a JD-XA that look like a larger version of this, no details yet though.

MX-1 "performance mixer". appears to have 5 stereo inputs, spdif in/out, as well as USB. depending on the price this might be the mixer that i want

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not seeing 5 stereo inputs. I'm seeing 4 analog mono inputs and one stereo. An extra stereo one if you count the Aux return.

dang, i didn't see the image of the back panel. never mind

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
goddamn this sounds like rear end, what the gently caress akai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8-WboRLVw

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
"what would happen if we took the shittiest part of the rhythm wolf and made it a separate product"

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
beatstep pro looks p cool

http://www.arturia.com/beatstep-pro/overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nQlFIonNw

$299, although sweetwater is already listing it for 249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, that is extremely my poo poo. Provided it's not like $500 I would get it in a heartbeat over the A4.

it's $99

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SQ1