Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mrwimmer posted:

This is the setup I was using before getting fully settled into my new place, but all the pieces are there.

Also, I don't know if anybody here has seen this yet, but some people are working on a hardware tracker-based groovebox. I'm more excited than could be considered reasonable.

http://nerdsynth.com/

sup alesis ion buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

Yamaha an1x
Alesis Ion/Micron

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
The worst synth is the TB-303, it doesn't sound like a bass guitar at all.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I was at the music shop a couple of days ago and I impulse bought a Volca Keys and I absolutely love it, It's an amazing little synth. It sounds great, and I adore the sequencer.

I went back today and bought a Volca Beats, it's kind of neat, but I'll probably return it. It's not bad, it's just that I don't really need it.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mrwimmer posted:

My roommate also got a volca keys, and I can honestly say that for regular playing around the house, the ribbon controller is actually really satisfying to use.

That being said, If I ever record it or gig with it, I'll most likely use an external keyboard.

Yeah, the little touch keyboard works pretty well for something so small.

Anyway, I like the Volca Beats a lot. I was underwhelmed at first because the sounds you can make are pretty limited, but when you're making music with it it just works so well, the sounds fit in the mix so nicely and it just sounds right. They're both great little boxes.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hail Satan!

So here's an interesting site I thought the rest of you would enjoy.

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/

They take old drum machines, samplers, and synths and circuit bend the gently caress out of them... for an almost reasonable fee if you don't account for shipping.

I'm a little bit tempted to send in my VSS30

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
since this thread is about synthesis in general, how about vocaloid? it's pretty cool. it doesn't do the creepy ratboy genius style voices but you can do some crazy stuff with it

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

The Cleaner posted:

No I mean, what I've been hearing from people is "I bought an analog, couldn't get it to integrate with my DAW, how do people use hardware?"

You are like the opposite extreme.

No, it's more like not knowing how to set up your gear so that you can actually write music with it from your DAW. There's a whole layer of midi/audio interface stuff that can be kind of a pain to deal with. I still haven't got a proper audio interface yet, so actually making music with my gear is a bit of a hackjob.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

VoodooXT posted:

I was like you once then I wised up and got a proper DAW setup with a really good interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40). The old setup I had was a Shure SM57 going into the mic mini-jack of a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III for recording guitars, bass, and vocals and an internal loopback for recording drums.

Get an interface. It's so much better.

I've been looking at the native instruments komplete audio 6. I figure it should be good enough for a few synths/drum machines as well as DJing, while not being too expensive because I have to pay for university+rent as well

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

AxeBreaker posted:

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

I had a Gaia, it's bad, don't buy it. There's a bunch of good synths you can get for less than $600, get one of those instead.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
gently caress it, I'll make something with my ER-1

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

net work error posted:

Korg wants all the money, this Volca sampler looks really cool as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTxg43_wBM

How do you make a sampler with no audio in. SMDH

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
You need to write a few songs in Mario Paint or something.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mr. Sharps posted:

http://www.syntorial.com/ is great for learning how to match sounds though it's based on typical subtractive synth architecture and I have no idea how well it'd work for something like the SQ80.

Is there a name for synthesizers that aren't ROMplers but use sampled waveforms for synthesis?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Rifter17 posted:

I just got my Rhythm Wolf a few days ago and the bass synth plays out of tune with itself so it's basically useless. I was initially underwhelmed with the drums, but they've grown on me. The pads feel great and I found the sequencer to be lots of fun. I have to send it back to Sweetwater because of the out of tune bass unless there's a way to make it work from home.

Edit: here's a video detailing how out of tune the bass synth is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczWloosYug

:stonk:

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

vkeios posted:

Wait, you really don't understand why the sampler works with a phone? The device with a microphone that most people carry around at all times?

I don't have an iPhone. The Volca sampler is going to be a useless hunk of plastic in 10 years when noone else has an iPhone either.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Startyde posted:

:rip: innovative yamaha synths

Yamaha really did make the best synthesizers. The last real synth they made was Vocaloid, right?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

I've always wondered, are the formant waveforms in FM7 the same as in the FS1R?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any more information about KORG's new Electribe boxes? I read the specs on the Sampler and my gearboner flared up, but I can't find anything but some product demo video in Italian... And my Italian is limited, mostly to dirty words and gestures.

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well ask; I've been playing some of the original Deus Ex and naturally the soundtrack is bringing back memories. The sound palette is distinctive like it could be a preset library - anybody know what synths were used for that soundtrack?

Not sure, BUT you can load up the soundtrack files into modplug and rip all the samples they used

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mr. Glass posted:

this is incredible.

agreed, best thing ive seen in a minute

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Dolphins posted:

I've looked a lot into this recently. I have Volca Beats and Bass and I had some sync issues whenever they were connected to my mixer. The slaved device would start skipping whenever I touched one of its analog controls (such as cutoff on the Bass). I also had the problem of low level input even when using a stereo cable and the stereo inputs of my mixer.

I spent a lot of time googling the issue and after a detour in Gearslutz found my way to some obscure forum. A user there said that the output on all Volcas is not "true stereo". It's a mono signal split into left and right. (I don't know if there's a real term for this.) Somehow this also affects the sync via grounding. So the guy said that converting the whole signal chain into mono helps. Actually, he claimed that it helps with most known problems when using Volcas with any additional gear.
I don't have an appropriate mono cable, but I noticed that plugging a stereo jack only halfway into the headphone output and into a mono input on the mixer did the trick. The output level got significantly louder and the sync problem disappeared.

Some samplers will let you run a signal through them, and will convert that signal to mono. If you have a sampler lying around, that's a lot more practical than plugging in the audio cable halfway.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

treasureplane posted:

Every demo of the Timbre Wolf is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnaaO_hCXfo

Comedy gold.

Does that guy just not know how to use a synthesizer or does the timbre wolf really sound that awful?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Sizone posted:

Dumbness. Dumbness and craziness.

Seriously, a volca bass will do all the fun stuff plus a whole bunch more.

I have a Volca Bass and I like it, but no... It doesn't sound anything like a 303.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I was hoping that it would be possible to pick one up a rhythm world for like $50 because everyone seems to hate them so much, but no luck yet :(

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

surrender posted:

Minilogue photo leaked on reddit

Maybe Korg should make this kind of stuff when the Canadian dollar isn't complete poo poo

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADtj3idaQ8

what synth should I buy if I want to make this sound

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Laserjet 4P posted:

What's your budget? Hardware or software?

I'm hearing a stringer (Solina or Omni or something). I'm hearing a lead synth as well, but it's pretty basic - only one oscillator. It might've been one of those preset units like a Pro Soloist or SH1000, but it would not surprise me in the least if they just used a Minimoog. I don't know if it was too early for a combi of stringer + monosynth (Moog Opus 3) Of course, there's a Rhodes as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWzwIVsrnM

So this song's from 1978 - that puts a date on what kind of equipment could've been used. Thing is, the above ingredients are pretty interchangeable; I'm not hearing anything that tells me "no, this could've only been done by a Minimoog or Odyssey or anything".

If it was played in one take, then a preset machine would've been easier to deal with, and the slightly cheesy lead sound choices kind of point me that way as well.

The preset units are generally subsets - so if you have an Odyssey, you can pretty much make any sound that a ProSoloist makes - usually. The preset units also have performance effects - think growl and wah which are just envelope-based effects that trigger LFOs and stuff like that, and those may be a bit trickier to do (an Odyssey won't let you control LFO speed with an envelope, for instance).

It depends on what you want to spend and how authentic you want to make things. Buying the Arturia V Collection gets you a long way (it may be overkill, but it might also be cheaper than buying Solina V, Stage-73 V and 2600V separately - NI has the same thing with Komplete). If you want hardware, a Korg ARP Odyssey or Behringer Model D, Waldorf Streichfett and a Nord Electro will do the job too, but then you're looking at a much bigger investment.

That's a really detailed breakdown for a two line post. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Rolo posted:

Teenage Engineering released a super cool field recorder with a motorized tape wheel that you can physically interact with. Look at this thing:

It looks super fun to use but surprise surprise it’s 1499 bones so that gets a “gently caress no” from me BUT it is making me wonder, are there any well liked, MUCH cheaper software or hardware solutions to resample stuff while adding cool scratches, scrubbing, whatever? I love making hip hop sounds from old vinyl but I’d rather not physically grab my turntable and scrape the needle around if I don’t have to.

Yamaha SU-10