Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

renderful posted:

Do you guys revisit/revive old projects? Do you ever find hidden treasures that then translate into new things? This is one of the things I really appreciate computers for.

Yeah! I don't do much on the computer but I've got a million sketches and ideas scattered across different iPad apps, my MPC 500 and two KORG DS-10s and a bunch of DSi programs. I'm just finishing a new release and have the next one pretty much lined up as well, so just the other day I was just digging through some of my old crap for future inspiration. There's a ton of dumb stuff from back when I had no idea about anything but there's something usable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

surrender posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Volca trio. This is probably a dumb question, but if I'm going to sync all three to Ableton, do I need three MIDI cables (one for each unit), or just one MIDI cable to one unit and then two sync cables to the others?

If all you're looking for is syncing the other two Volcas to Ableton's MIDI clock, yes, the sync cables will do just fine. The first volca will send the MIDI clock it gets from Ableton to the other ones. However, that's the ONLY thing the sync cables will do, so if you want to sequence the other two Volcas via Ableton, you'll need a MIDI cable for each.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of acid, I'm seeing Acid Symphony Orchestra live tonight :getin:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

sometimes I wish I got Phoenix Wright instead.

OP1 - an $800 synth about as good as a $30 video game

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 28, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

This one almost had me pissing myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKyHLzRTNM

EDIT 2: I can't stop listening to that thing.

Holy lord this is amazing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Has anyone tried either of those MIDI Vampire things? They are so cute god drat

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The real question is this: What would be the tastiest synth?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can't use the ribbon controller on the Keys either, but my fingers are somewhat sausagey. Maybe I could learn to touch the thing extremely lightly, but whatever, I can just an external keyboard.

I loved the Beats, especially the kick, the stutter and how you could record your tweaking, but I ended up selling it. In the end I just couldn't find much of a use for it, and the sounds weren't actually what I needed or wanted (besides, I needed the money). I'll probably regret selling the thing later, but ehh

I actually like the Bass the most out of the trio. It's just got a ludicrously fat sound and you can do so much with it (independently detunable oscillators :allears:). I guess it could use some of the stuff available in the Keys and it not having them is kind of weird (adjustable portamento comes to mind), but otherwise it's just an amazing synth, especially for the price.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.

It's pretty amazing there still aren't any kind of sound samples or demos of that thing anywhere. Yeah, there was that one really short one at some point somewhere, but I can't find it anymore and jesus christ is this seriously how they think you're supposed to build up hype for a music instrument

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

The forums being down gave me some time to reflect. Gonna sell all my synths and just play harmonica.

Me too. Already sold everythign I have, thinking of picking up fishing to sperg about instead

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

net work error posted:

Coming from a techno perspective, German/Berlin techno will generally be much more bleep heavy, generally in triplets of some kind. Detroit techno I've found to favor the bloop more but either is fair game as long as they flow for at least a beat. If you're more tech house inclined definitely stick to bloops because a bleep stands out too much and usually isn't favorable in that kind of genre.

Here's what I think of your conservative, genre-dominated view on electronic music

Bleep bloop brrrrrrlllllllzzzapp

avant-garde, motherfuckers :smug:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ynohtna posted:

When you guys start playing live gigs, please please please, be chill, cooperative and helpful to the organisers.

Do not be an arrogant, inconsiderate idiot who expresses great initial enthusiasm then dithers around failing to confirm/respond until the last moment before getting the huff 'cos they've not been given the "top billing" spot and every unearned consideration they can imagine.

Funnily enough, seasoned, musicians who make experimental sounds always fall into the first category, whilst the second group seems to exclusively be the domain of young, unknown, genre-fadded twits convinced that they're already the next Deadmau5.

As always, "try being a nice person who is considerate of others instead of being a human-shaped turd" is advice that works. Applies to pretty much all areas of life.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

renderful posted:

Saw him ---^ (AtomTM) live in Boulder, Co. That dude is amazing. Nothing but him, 2 video screens and an MPC 3000. One of the video screens was displaying the MPC's VGA output, so it was almost like watching live coding. Senor Coconut is some great poo poo as well.

I saw his Pop HD show in Helsinki a while back. Was definitely some tight poo poo.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what kind of software do people like AtomTM and, say, Kraftwerk use for their visuals? Like there's obviously some live manipulation as well as correlation between the visuals and the music going on. How do you do something like that?

e: can't write nowadays it seems

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 11, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

minidracula posted:

No idea what they're using, but I could tell you what I do/have done. I use a couple different methods and am constantly exploring new ways to do stuff that links live sets or live performance with live visuals (clips, pre-renders, and/or generative content).

I'd love to hear about your methods! I'm currently gearing up for my first live shows and would love to have some visuals as well, if I have the time to make some (probably won't, but maybe for any future shows, then).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the visuals stuff, y'all! I'll have a look at Resolume when I get back home from Germany. Don't know if my piece of poo poo laptop will be able to handle something like that, but it's worth a try.

I guess another possibility would be to make some simple animated loops with the artwork for my releases or something and just have those play in the background.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe it's gonna be a piece of poo poo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can talk about linguistics for at least three hours straight to people who in no way are interested in linguistics

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Linguistics, much like synthesizers, are blood.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lol I actually didn't remember I have a loving degree now until I read Wafflehound's post again. I guess that's a good indication of how absolutely worthless a Bachelor's is in Finland.

Anyway synths are really cool and I wish you could get a degree in them instead.

e: not that I'd get one because I'm really bad

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Scatterfold posted:

:eyepop:

am i the only person here with an actual music degree?

What do you need a music degree for if all you're ever gonna do is just pushing the instant sick dubstep wubz button anyway???

Edit: my degree is in Germanic Philology. This is useful and relevant when playing synths because

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

I believe this is what you meant.

Uh you should have more respect for classic, vintage forms of electronic music like 2012 dubstep.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Someone please start the maxmsp/csound/reaktor/kyma/whatever thread so that you goons can talk about what programming languages you have used and compare what degrees you have obtained outside of the synth thread.

Whatever, it's not like anyone's gonna talk about the finished pieces of music they recently made in this thread anyway

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Music making secrets: Make something that you yourself like enough that you could call it a finished track, however long and complex it takes for you to be satisfied. Then put it somewhere online for people to hear it so that you've released it and are done with it, reflect on what you did well, what could've been better and what you learned, and start working on your next thing.

E: I've released every single thing I've made and considered "finished" since 2012 and have thus far released a full-length album, 4 EPs and a remix EP plus some extra crap like demos and alternate versions on SoundCloud, altogether adding up to a total of 31 original tracks, 7 remixes/alternate versions of my own tracks and a cover. Gonna add three new tracks to that list in a couple of weeks and I'm already working on a bunch of new poo poo to be released after that.

releasing things :feelsgood:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 1, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried buchla"

Mods please move this thread to TCC

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

treasureplane posted:

This is the best thing I've ever read

Here's the original, if you didn't know. I'm a real terrible poster who can't come up with poo poo like that

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

Found this in my useless poo poo pile, mapped it to resolume and added to the VJ rig. Tried really hard not to lol at the gig.

Please tell me there's video footage of you using this thing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Personally I follow the sage example of the Finnish noise artist Tommi Keränen who describes his method of making music as "doing audio" ("duunaa audioo")

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song. You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

No.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Downloaded Yamaha Mobile Sequencer a minute ago and already hate it

Actually I just don't want to learn a new software because I'm comfortable with NanoStudio and waah waah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hmm looks like A CERTAIN SYNTH COMPANY is after my loving money again <:mad:>

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hey maybe I'll take part after all and make something with korg DS-10. Back to the roots and all that poo poo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

I'd rather you do something with their DS M1 thing.

Send me a DS Lite or a Japanese DSi and the M1 and ok because I don't have money

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wait wait wait it looks like I've always thought M01 is a DSi cartridge which are region locked (DS-10+ and no EU release :argh:), but it's in fact a normal DS one. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Startyde posted:

It's actually in the us/eu eshop now.

Not for the DSi though :(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Also I bought the Volca Beats so now I have em all. I also bought a Monotron Delay, but I really wanted a Kaos pad. Anyway, the main point was to have a delay on the Bass, and for that it works fine. The delay and feedback settings are much more extreme than on the keys, and there is a lot of hiss above 60% feedback.

A lot of hiss above 60%? There's hiss all the time. The hiss is a feature of the Monotrons :colbert:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

RE: synthember: I started making animations for my music does that count.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mrwimmer posted:

Would it be bad form to post an album I recently put out in here? 2 gameboys, Vocals, Bass station 2, Alesis Ion, and Shruthi-1, and some guitar? I would genuinely like to hear what you guys think, if that helps.

It would be bad form not to post it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Man, gently caress getting an iPad to work with midi. I had to get (actually, I made waffle get it for me) a lightning to usb female adapter. None of my midi adapters would work natively with the thing because they predate the midi device class standard. So I ordered a roland um-one. It came in today. First, I thought it was broken becaue the tab/comp slider was set to comp. Its plugged in a working now, but, also to my surprise, I should be running it though a powered usb hub.
The final set up is going to be a lighting to usb to powered usb hub to um-one, probably also um-one to midisport 2x2 so I have a breakout. Also a goddamn battery pack for the usb hub. That is a loving stupid amound of cables and boxes to be able to do something with a thing that I got largely to get away from cables and boxes. In short, gently caress you, apple.

Did youWafflehound get you a first-gen Um-One? It looks like the Mk2 should've worked with the iPad straight out of the box. Anyway, I have one of these and it's always worked flawlessly even without a powered USB hub :shrug:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 5, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

This is a great idea, I'm in. I'm not really in full-on music composition/production mode right now (don't have time for that), but I've got some unused sketches I could build on. Or maybe I'll make a new version of one of my old tracks from my winter-themed album last year and call it something else so you'll be none the wiser :haw:

Also yes, gently caress the christmas album :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was supposed to do stuff that's definitely not making the track for the goon album but now it's several hours later and I somehow have made about a minute of some really good poo poo. gently caress.

Idea: If we put it on Bandcamp, maybe we could donate any money we happen to earn to some swell cause? Y'know, the spirit of Christmas and all.