Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In Ableton I tend to set all tracks to at least -6db, and pull down the Master to somewhere between -2 and -6 (once all my parts are done I run through Ozone to bring it back up to nearly 0db, though since recently upgrading to 9 I find the 'mastering racks' are getting some use; The Glue is fantastic, as is the spectrum metering in EQ8). I'm using Battery for my drums, and my template set has separate outs for kick, snare, hats, cymbals etc, and due to the way the human ear perceives high and low frequencies, I often find my cymbals and hats channels are at least -16 to make my kit sound balanced after eq etc on the channels, even though I'm not tending to boost too much. At the end of the day, there's not really hard and fast rules about mixing, just rough guidelines: if it sounds 'right' it is right, and don't forget another set of ears can make all the difference- my (non producer, though musician) brother will often point out stuff I never even noticed.

Whilst not strictly synth, I always highpass my guitars at somewhere between 100 and 200 Hz depending on how they are tuned and how high gain my Guitar Rig tone is, same goes for pads or any 'rich' tones that aren't bass or kick- I am recently writing metal with some drumstep/dnb influences so clarity is important.

A limiter is normally a good idea so long as it isn't squashing everything, but is absolutely VITAL with Zeta 2 if you are browsing the presets for ideas as volumes can vary wildly, some are loving loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have a Nocturn 25 (mainly a guitarist but I use vst synths and it's good for quickly auditioning Battery kits etc) and the thing is pretty solid, no issues in 3 years of use, and Automap is pretty slick too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's surely been posted before but this is some serious GAS:

Alec Empire - Making of 'Shivers' + Interview pt.1: http://youtu.be/ycPZF0s-u30

I love how he's almost just wandering around like a kid in a candy shop. A far cry from his 909 and Atari days!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This month's issue of Computer Music is all about modular synths and has a decent free version of XILS 3, complete with pin matrix. Haven't bought an issue in ages, their suite of free plugins has gotten insane, some really neat stuff in there now, and nearly all 64 bit versions too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Panda Time posted:

drop some samples of a dog woofing with autotune and sweeten it up with some chorus and you're good

Like this? http://youtu.be/0359hSerDeE

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The noise/ambient/drone thread in EW did a similar thing to the one sample pack idea using Dropbox and there were some great, varied results.

Musicradar has a bunch of free sample packs that aren't too big, could be a place to start?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'd get one with as many knobs and faders as you can afford for tactility and less fiddling with the mouse (once you've got it mapped). If you have space go for 49 keys- I often find 25 just isn't enough. Also I guess it depends what soft synth(s) you were planning on using most with it- the more parameters, the more controls you will likely want.

At the risk of sounding GASsy, if you are serious(ish) about this, get the best thing you can afford rather than doing what I did and buying a crappy M-Audio, finding it lacking and having to get something better a few months after.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm sure it's been posted before (maybe even by me), but Celldweller has some of the worst GAS I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jD2js8YAc

I can't begin to imagine what this lot cost.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
He also appears to be sporting modular hair. Shame all that is wasted on buttrock really.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just be wary that if you want to load saved loops, the KP3 takes a while and will stop audio whilst loading- it's a nifty fx processor but you'll likely end up disappointed if you want to do any (even rudimentary) track/beat building with it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Filters maybe? Hi-pass any elements with unwanted low end, should help clear things up. Do you have anything after your main outs on the modular? If you're recording to a PC you can probably get away with some eqing to add back some sparkle.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What's in your modular Mr Glass? Care to post any audio clips, then if there's any other sources of mud in there we can weed them out?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What are you using (if anything) for drums? Your primary role from a bass playing perspective is to complement the "drummer", lock in with them. When I'm playing bass to more chord focused guitar lines I will use "lead in" notes so if its 8ths of G then C I would possibly put a B in just before the C.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you want to learn FM you may as well stay in the box, its a lot easier with a decent GUI.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In the manual for the izotope delay there's a few patches drawn out (which reminds me of guitar pedal manuals), I quite like that method actually, as you turn knobs you find out what they do and can come across some cool sounds on the way. Note I haven't actually tried saving a patch yet, using Cubase so there's ways for me round it if the vst itself doesn't (which I agree it should)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I love my Nektar Impact LX25+ for what it's worth, its solidly built and a piece of piss to integrate with anything.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have Presonus Eris E5s (£130 for the pair) and they are savage accurate for the price, plus a bunch of room compensation options on the back. The range goes up to 8 inchers or there is a companion sub that you can get.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Eventide Horizon

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not strictly synth but samplesfrommars are selling all their sample packs as a bundle for $39, normal cost is just shy of $1200!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I bought these last month and there’s actually some really useful stuff in there.

Any particularly highlights to download first?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I like FM8's layout a lot, its pretty visual when you are making the operators affect each other. I still have no idea what I'm doing but at least I have a visual representation of that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I aim to use Izotope Trash in some capacity on every sound in my submission.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

:thunk:
rap songs that talk about how being as rich as donald trump, i reckon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7ap-F1tTI
Just that on loop for eternity

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Oldstench posted:

Just lol if you don't spend all your life posting on Muffs and not making any actual music.

More like Oldtuneless. (sorry)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Timewarping back to the last page's retrochat, I'm fairly sure there was a Tracker thread a couple years ago but it was low traffic and quickly dropped towards the back.

I keep looking at Renoise (I think I tried it too, years ago though) and have noticed they do a plugin called Redux now that apparently does a bunch of trackery stuff within the safe, comfy, horizontal scrolling confines of a DAW, does anyone have any experience with it?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've recently been mapping standard scratch samples (fresh and aaah for example) in Groove Agent with a couple variations- the full sample, the sample reversed and the sample played forwards but with a fairly short, no release amp env for 'cuts'. I then map the pitch envelope amount of the latter two with a slightly longer decay than default to a rotary, twist that wildly and bash pads on my MPD, with some tweaking of choke groups its a passable facsimile of turntablistic silliness. Sticking a low pass filter on the main output and mapping that to the knob for a bit of high end rolloff with lower pitches gets it a bit closer too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87AXdzvR82Y

Synths and 'synth' related: Season 3 of Humans snuck up on me so currently bingeing season 2, forgot how much I love this opening theme (and the soundtrack in general).

How do I approach making that robot choir sound from the 20 second mark? I cant figure out if its a synthesized choir, or a sampled one put through a vocoder or what.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm all software, notable mentions for making noises are Cubase 9.5 (Artist so with Retrologue 2, Padshop, Halion Sonic SE with Flux), Massive, Kontakt, LusH101. I've got Fabfilter ProQ2 so can make some formants filters in that too. Massive is probably the best way to go judging by your description, thank you!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've got an SP202 and I've never known an instrument be the epitome of 'chore' in the same way that thing is, other than waiting for the KP3 to load samples. It is definitely gritty as gently caress and fun to play with once you've loaded it up with Amen chops but going back to that way of working after being spoilt by Ableton et al is only for the dedicated.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just out of interest is there something like a maximum time (such as the aforementioned 3 seconds for example) where you wouldn't have to license a track? Or another example would be I was watching J Dilla use an sp303 and he sampled a bass stab, would that theoretically need to be licensed? How far do you have to mangle something before it no longer applies, if at all?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The other thing mick does is layer some modulated noise over the sine that is in sync with the sine frequency.

So let's say you have your sine and its at 40hz, about E1 on the keyboard, make it play with a fully open volume envelope (no attack, full decay and sustain, no release) for four bars so you get a nice long note to play with later.

You then layer noise (white, brown, pink all have slightly different characters) on another track, whether you use audio or just the noise out from analog or whatever doesn't matter. Make that go for four bars too.

Put an autopan on this noise track, set the phase to 0, you now have it as a mono tremolo. Set the rate to 40hz, now it pulses in time with the wavelength of the sub, you'll probably need to tweak your mixer level a bit so its not overwhelming the bass.

From here, you can render down both these tracks into a single sample, stick it in Simpler and you have the foundation for a Mick Gordon sine bass sound.

As long as your noise is modulated at the same frequency the initial sine is playing at this should help you get DOOMier, if your root sine is 60hz (C) then set the autopan to that. I'm sure you're already aware if you're into DnB but E1-G#1 are your bread and butter for sub roots, lower and it gets lost, higher and it stops having that 'sub' quality to it.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 18, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
You should be able to do it that way too.
I gave it a go earlier and even lower mod rate noise gives it a cool effect. I reinstalled doom earlier so uh, spent more time playing that than synths today!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Cubase 10 is out. No new synths but a bunch of stuff to make synthing easier I guess. Digging the new channel strip, I'll not be wasting valuable insert (aka distortion) slots on compression as much now you can expand the compressors in the strip.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
They're well worth grabbing, would take eternity to go through them all. I just have the 808, 909, MPC and a couple others installed from when i got the bundle for something obnoxiously low like £12 but they are well worth it, probably moreso if you have an up to date version of Kontakt for the synths

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have a positive secondhand purchase today!
Got a Nektar Panorama P1, it integrated with Cubase instantly after running the installer: reviews said setting it up was a nightmare, but its a few years old now so guess that was addressed. Meandering acid jams now easier than ever.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A rompler that has bass, trumpet, drums and sax.

Volca Polka.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm a fan of Groove Agent of all things for sample handling. I love Kontakt as a library/tweaky preset machine but if I'm actually doing stuff then Groove Agent is my go to. Its a shame the sampler tracks in Cubase aren't quite as fully featured as they're obviously better for note based stuff, but GA is like a little MPC

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have a Nektar Impact LX25+ and recently picked up a Panorama P1 as I work in Cubase. Between these two I feel pretty covered as far as control surfaces go.

Nektar is the first stuff I've used in about 15 years that feels like I'm working with it, not despite it (glaring at you, Automap), though this is largely down to the tight integration with Cubase, especially with the P1.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got Magix versions of Sound Forge and Vegas as part of a Humble Bundle and both were awkard, umwieldy and seemed destined to try nickel and dime me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm in.
Time to dust off those Atari Teenage Riot CDs for theft inspiration