Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Meow-nophonic synth. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

tehschulman posted:

MFB-503 Drumcomputer: Cool design, meant to be an OK emulation of some classic 808 and 909 sounds. In expensive and small, which is good. Was not fond of the sounds or the programming.

Interested in hearing what you didn't like about the 503 specifically. I've considered getting one before but always find mixed reviews, also the lack of midi out is kind of annoying.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FLX posted:

That's a good idea. Isn't there some kind of IRC-like audio/video chat platform that we could get a permanently running room on? Like this we wouldn't need to do the whole connection thing with Skype every time.

I think what you're aiming for is two parts, IRC to chat and a shoutcast/icecast server to stream audio to/from? Anyone have a spare server to setup shoutcast/icecast? We can use synirc for the channel seeing as how most goon chats go there.

e: Those of you with Bank of America credit cards should check your deals, they have a 10% cash back or something like that for Monoprice if you need to re-up cables.

net work error fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 19, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FLX posted:

Hm, I think that spltting it up makes it too complicated. I also like the idea to talk to people, even when it's not constant, but when you're kind of "sitting together" while doing your thing. You can just mute your mic if you don't want to talk or send audio and have the others chatting in the background.

Google Hangouts is an option although that is limited to 10 people at a time. Tinychat is also an option but in my experience for anything besides just talking it blows.

Anyone know of any other suggestions?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HorseHeadBed posted:

Beats, Bass or Keys?

:lol: This one got me good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FLX posted:

That's a good idea. Isn't there some kind of IRC-like audio/video chat platform that we could get a permanently running room on? Like this we wouldn't need to do the whole connection thing with Skype every time.

Someone on Facebook recommended jammr which lets you host a room for jamming online and has integrated chat. We were planning to test it out tonight fr those interested.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like this especially the effects on the acid line.

This is better than so much of the poo poo tech house I hear when I go out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm not entirely sure but doesn't live 9 have a similar feature already implemented? Either way this seems like a neat app especially for users of other daws.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

THEY'RE HERE!!!

Trip report/acid jams to follow.

Sweet :) Looking forward to some jams. Are you using Ableton/Push with the Aira's or just for general Ableton-y things?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Late to the post your setup chat, here's my mess setup:

Bonus cat video:
https://db.tt/0svAdmfa

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It sounds cool but at least for me, being able to see the patch and have him describe what's going on behind the scenes to actually make it all happen makes it waaaaay cooler.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Now I want a Machinedrum even though I'll probably never do any kind of live set. :( Why does this keep happening to me synth thread?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm sorry the way I enjoy playing my synths is bad and wrong. t:mad:>

Did you ever get your audio situation sorted so that we can listen to your jams ~in real time~ ?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

You mean using that weird collab software?

That or any other of your choice. Skype?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I made a song today!

Haha April Fools I suck

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Frankie Knuckles died. Sucks.

Yeah it sucked alot. :(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Just went live with my TB3 and TR8 for about an hour; meant to post this but hit the post limit - oh well, the recording is saved at least.

http://mixlr.com/centurion-beats/showreel/because-gently caress-you-thats-why/

Just listened to this, thought it was cool. Did you have external drum loops as well via Ableton?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

All I see is synths, who is that? Should I know? :( I don't like missing the joke.

e: An M1 can't be bad. There are so many sweet songs were made using the M1.

net work error fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

He looks like a silly fun dog.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Patch #96 in the Synth & Bass Lead 2 bank. I took a picture of it last night but sent it to someone via Snapchat :/

Here I thought Snapchat was just for dick pics!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

She's more interested in VST's than analog.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Arturia Beatsteps have come out already, has anyone had a chance to play with or use one yet? They're so well priced I kind of want one even though I don't need it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SineRider posted:

EQing is second biggest obstacle stopping people from making music, next to buying synths.

There's no problem throwing money at won't make me feel better with. *over pays on an expensive filter module*

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

He doesn't want to put in the sweat and hours

Don't forget tears as you constantly tell yourself that you don't like what you make. Or is that just me?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

treasureplane posted:

Has anyone actually heard the Rhythm Wolf yet? It's been over a month.

No :( I'm sure it'll actually exist maybe eventually but for now it's looking mighty vapor-y.

Re: iPad chat, not to be that guy but wouldn't the iPad thread have the best answers?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

There's an iOS music app thread by our own FLX
The PPG, Korg and Moog apps, and Sunrizer are the ones I play with the most.

Yeah that's the one I meant. Should've posted it instead of assuming people knew I meant within this forum :doh:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Don't look at it as a waste, look at it as someone keeping the forums alive via spite. :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

goons make the world go round

Gonna make a Lil B rap about having "that goon money" brb

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf

I refuse to believe that's the only demo in the world currently. :mad:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm a big fan of the SonicState reviews of stuff. He's pretty fair in what he praises and calls out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

toadee posted:

This is very tangentially synth related but holy gently caress am I proud that my president knows who the gently caress Frankie Knuckles is http://gawker.com/barack-and-michelle-obama-salute-frankie-knuckles-in-le-1566229769

Yeah it's pretty cool. I look forward to the day America has a president that is adamant about electronic music just to see the shitstorm that will be raised from it. Maybe it will be me. :911:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

vkeios posted:

Sorry, but not enough good synth chat in this topic so, lets discuss the Gakken NSX-39!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-v5CB5krws

Gakken, publisher of books and sometimes maker of synth kits, has noticed the astonishing demand for a hardware version of the Vocaloid synth. The NSX-39 contains 4 (wow!) preset phrases like "good morning, thank you" (check around 4:30 in the video); a usb port that not only does boring old usb-midi and power, but also lets you add custom phrases using your chrome web browser and knowledge of hiragana.

MSRP: 4,980 yen.
Release Date: over two weeks ago.

i really gotta get one

I'm gonna outmyself here and admit I'm a big closet vocaloid fan and I want one too.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just sat at my Microbrute for like an hour just making long distorted wee-woo sounds and had a blast. Synths are cool like that. :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

IT LIVES! The Shruthi XT SMR-4 LIVES!

Well, I have to plunk an LCD and some nice red LEDs on the board yet, but I was able to get the unit to make some noises today. The SMR-4 is quite fat and warm sounding and since it's only 1 mono voice is has a different character than the SMR-4 filter boards on my Ambika. I have yet to order the parts to build my other control surface and 4 Pole Mission filter but when those arrive then the real showdown for Shruthi superiority will begin.

The XT case looks quite nice as well. I'm a little nervous about the plexiglass casing seeing its fair share of rough handling when I finally get everything put together but the metal top panel is quite nicely designed. The official Shruthi metal enclosure I purchased to house the SMR-4 filter is reallllllly stunning. Can't wait to get both units up and running!

My victory candy tastes oh so sweet

Hope you post pics of the finished product. The case for it looked really nice.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Teenage Engineering just make some fun stuff:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/teenage-engineering-make-50-drum-machine-pictures-teaser/

Too cheap not to buy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gonna need synth shop tips from you Waffle for my trip to Tokyo later this year. :shobon:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So....

There's this new Future Music studio tour with Celldweller. If you're a modular nerd you might go crazy at his setup. I went crazy because he has an Arpie and apparently it's the one I built and sold off a few months ago! I spotted the battery color at first (a white RiteAid 9v) and it got me wondering, but then I checked out this Vine and it's definitely mine, right down to the brown flux peppered around the header connector: https://vine.co/v/Mh9B2xieEwq

Just watched this and man does he have a huge setup. What I liked the most about it oddly enough was just how neat and logical all of the routing and patching for this huge setup is. Really impressed with that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In a stunning turn of developments I bought something. More details once I have it in my hands!

e: Realized that's a poo poo post. I got a Machinedrum ! Really excited for this and will give a full trip report when I get it and mess with it for a while.

net work error fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 2, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

david mammoth posted:

Oh awesome, if I ever find a bag of money that's first on my list. Did you go for the sampling option?

No it's an SPS1-MK2 that I got a good deal on used.

Startyde posted:

Bring da oontz. EFM-BD 4life. Don't forget you can assign LFOs to other channels. Also cop this 808 kit it's pretty nice for not using samples.

Sweet. Daren is always really smart from his posts that I read on Muffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nice! I bet it sounds better with the wood sides.