Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
So is finding a Virus TI second-hand a rare thing? I've never bought a hardware synth before, but I got bitten by the bug to get one a few months back and the feeling hasn't gone away. Can't seem to ever see any for sale on the websites of local music shops (I live near-ish to Tokyo, btw). It's probably a good sign that no one wants to sell them...

Also it's not a synthesizer per se, but I got a 25-key Novation SL MKII MIDI Keyboard last week. I thought 25 keys would be sufficient, since I'm not a pianist and my apartment is tiny, but man is it small. The automap stuff is cool as heck though. I'm toying with just keeping the 25 and buying one of those cheap no-frills 49 or 61-key knobless controllers. At the price I bought the 25SL for it might as well be a Zero SL that takes up a little more desk space.

I'm at work so I can't look the link up now, but check out a YouTube channel called "SadowickProduction" maybe. The guy uses both pieces of hardware with Ableton, and he's done a bunch of videos comparing the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

I highlighted your issue above. The company that makes the Virus, Access, is German - they're slightly uncommon even in the US, but in Japan they're going to be rarer than a unicorn, just like any electronics product from outside Japan. You'll probably be flooded with cheaper than normal vintage Rolands, Korgs, and Yamahas though.

Bummer, makes sense. Maybe I just buy a Snow or something in a few months.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm not sure either of us would jump to do this but in theory I could bring you one in a couple of weeks if you wanted to do a proxy fee or something.

Oh sick! I'd have to think about it + make sure my finances are in order first, as I'm not sure I'm willing to swing it unless it's used.

Griff Lee posted:

Buy me a 303 while you're there :3:

Actually just saw one when I shopping last weekend :P Was 200,000 JPY / about $2000 USD? Doesn't seem particularly low after a cursory glance on the internet, actually.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you've got paypal you could have it sent to me and I could bring it over. I know that's a shitload to trust to a goon but I've sold several thousand worth of gemstones on SA and most of this thread knows my real name and such.

Cool. Do you have PMs? I don't yet but could get in touch with you that way in the future if I decide to go for it.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
A local-ish music shop has a used JP 8000 for under $400. Should I go for it? I'm a big fan of early-2000s trance and UK hardcore. I may be able to exchange my Nocturn keyboard for credit toward it too, as long as I can use the JP as a general MIDI keyboard. Dunno if that will work that way or not, I haven't looked into it.

I traded in my 25 SL MKII for a Nocturn since I didn't need that many knobs in practice and wanted more keys, but of all things I didn't notice the Nocturn can't toggle automap off like the SL MKII can. It's kind of a problem, since automap doesn't always play nicely with FL Studio. It also is frustratingly stubborn about remembering my velocity curve settings.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I need to confess a thoughtcrime for public absolution or something.

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over. I'm trying to decide if I want to just get some compressed as gently caress samples and go nuts so I can actually make something for once but that feels like cheating if I just buy a Vengeance pack, but poo poo, at least those dudes actually make things with Vengeance. I literally took a half hour break in the middle of writing this post to gently caress with drums and that's just making me angry at the world.

Like, does it just make sense to go #fuckit #yolo and get the same overprocessed drums (which I like) as everyone else and then learn drum layering and compression from scratch at a slower pace while actually making stuff, or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting that kind of sound that I might have missed? Or what the gently caress am I doing I don't know.

:(

I'm in a similar place. I feel probably the best way to go about it is to use the processed-as-gently caress Vengeance samples, and then if I feel the need to polish the track into something I want to show people I sperg out over the percussion after!

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

sliderule posted:

Is there anything else on the market like Reaktor? I've been using it to scratch my NES/8bit itch and it's a lot of fun.

SynthEdit is the only thing I know of that's similar. I haven't used either enough to know the merits and demerits, but you could check it out. (I think there's a really lenient demo available.)

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Welp, bought a second-hand Virus TI2 Desktop. It'll be my first piece of synth hardware. Owning a Virus has been one of those things I dreamed about since I was in high school. Now I just gotta wait for it to show up from my family in the States. It's my first step down a horrible and debilitatingly expensive road, I'm pretty excited!

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm taking another crack at resampling basslines, and I'm again experiencing nothing but frustration. I swear, I do this every six months. I understand the process, how to get grit and movement etc., but can't wrap my head around how to turn all that grit and movement into something melodic - even if that melody is nothing but fifths and minor thirds. I've been getting some interesting throbs, wobbles and other-moving-things straight out of my Virus lately, but getting a sampler involved, the order of 'sample bass sound>modulate>resample>modulate>create rhythm/melody' eludes me. How do I handle (or abuse) the limitations of a sampler's time-stretching algorithm? With naturally beating detuned saws, how many notes do I sample and how do I treat them to create rhythm from that beating? When employing envelopes, automation and tempo-sync'd modulations that create rhythm in a resampled sound, how do I take into account melody?

This is all a bit of word salad. I've been trying to crack this 'neurofunk' sound for ages, and I guess I'm just getting really frustrated that all of my attempts at resampling seem to lack the cohesion of patches straight out of my synthesizer.

I'm not the most knowledgeable in this area, but until someone who is posts, you might want to check out SeamlessR's channel on YouTube. He does nothing but neuro stuff, and lots and lots of it, and he's quite good at explaining what he's doing. He pretty much exclusively uses Image Line plugins, but if you watch his processes I'm sure you can apply most everything to whatever you're using.

As far as detuned saws go, the typical reese sound just has 2 I believe. The more you add, the more indistinct the pattern of the beating is.

As far as automation goes, I find that it helps melodically to kind of have each parameter doing its own thing, or similar things at a bit of an offset, but then close/open up simultaneously at rythmic beats you want to emphasize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
So my Virus TI2 desktop finally came in and I'm having a blast with it so far. I never bought it with the expectation that it would sound much better than the software I was using engine-wise. However, after playing around with it I think the low end sounds much richer and nicer than my VSTs (especially thanks the nice sub oscillator), and the filters sound awesome. The primary reason I got it though was to have a big, versatile, single unit full of quality effects to learn inside out instead of using a billion plugins, and it meets my expectations handily. It feels fantastic to be able to make pretty much any sound I want and save it in a self-contained patch, to be dropped in and tweaked wherever. Menu diving can be excessive, but then I just switch to using the VST for that stuff. Also tweaking physical knobs is so much more fun goddang.