Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, I'm a novice looking to get into synthesizers and simple music composition. Looking over this thread and reddit, I'm thinking maybe the thing that makes most sense is to buy a MIDI keyboard and play around with software synths while I'm learning, and then if I stick with it eventually grab like a synthesizer module to go with it. Just wondering if that sounds like a good plan, or are there advantages of getting a keyboard+synth combination from the get go (the KORG Minilogue XD gets recommended a lot on reddit, but I'd ideally like to make sure this hobby will stick before dropping $600-$700---I also like the idea of a slightly more portable keyboard that doesn't have the synth attached, but that's not too strong a preference).

And if that does sound sensible, can someone recommend me a good MIDI keyboard (like $100-$200 or so?). Or, alternatively, what things I should be considering when looking for a keyboard. I know for a synthesizer I'll want things like polyphonic and an 8-step sequencer, but I'm not sure what things I should look for in a MIDI keyboard (49 Keys? Fewer?).

Apologies for the relatively basic question. I really love the sound of synthesizers and would love to play around and make some music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks everyone for these amazing replies! This is all incredibly helpful. I'll start looking into DAWs -- I guess I'll start trying out the trials of ableton, garage band (which can upgrade into logic pro?), and reaper. And I'll download surge and repro 5 as well.

As for the controller, of all the ones posted I think the keystep 37 looks like it checks the most boxes of what I'm looking for -- decent number of keys, compact (while still being within budget), seems to work well with different DAWs, fits within budget. I think I can get it from a place that has a 45 day return policy and make sure it plays nicely with whichever DAW I end up going on. I did make the mistake of looking at opinions of it on reddit, which were mostly positive but several people saying to just get the keystep pro instead, which is more than double the price at $500 -- I'm guessing that's not worth it to start given my relative inexperience and desire to save money right?

xzzy posted:

But don't kid yourself that software is a bargain. It's cheaper than hardware for sure but once you get into tone chasing and searching for how people accomplish sounds you're gonna get herded towards a fairly expensive collection of popular synths. Do your best to stick to the free stuff.. there is a LOT out there.
Yeah this seems like a good thing to keep in mind. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean cheap, and the more free stuff I can use the easier it'll be on my wallet.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this seems like a really reasonable way to approach making electronic music but have you considered spending thousands of dollars on eurorack modules instead? It's a great way to clean out your closests of anything that might have resale value, or have reason to steal the neighbor's copper pipes out of their walls when they are vacationing. No one ever did that to afford a pigments license.

lmao I was quite intrigued by people posting that solar42. Perhaps in a few years I'll be ready to drop irresponsible amounts of money.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm a big fan of arturia stuff, their controllers, synths and plugins are really great. The keystep 37 is a nice little controller although it might be limited for working with softsynths and DAWs. The thing about the keystep series is that they are primarily hardware midi controllers. People mostly use them with hardware synths and eurorack setups since they have CV outs and fairly robust arpeggiators and sequencers. Like, the keystep pro has multiple lanes of sequencers to handle multiple pieces of gear or eurorack modules, which is not something you usually need with softsynths and DAWs. I don't want to talk you out of the keystep 37 if it looks like that will work for you but you might also look at the keylab series that arturia makes since those have more mappable controls for DAW setups. DAW controllers like the keylab usually lack the sequencers though, so its a trade off if you want a MIDI controller for hardware and software. Speaking of arturia, look into Pigments if you are doing softsynths. Its an extremely powerful synthesizer engine and it regularly goes on sale. And as crazy and complicated as it looks, its actually a really good visual tool for learning how synthesis works.

One thing to keep in mind when getting into this stuff is that a ton of the synth community gets really focused around gear and tools. Gear is very cool but its important to keep in mind your basic musical goals as well, i.e. what kind of music do you like and what kind do you want to make? What artists inspire you? What genres are you in to? Or do you just want to noodle around and make cool little impromptu jams? GAS is very real (ask me how I know...) so its a good idea to think about what you want to do with this stuff before spending a poo poo ton of money chasing cool hardware. This is just general advice for getting into any musical hobby but often gets overlooked when it comes to synths.

Also, this is borderline blasphemy and/or a running joke in the synth sphere but learning some basic music theory and composition is extremely helpful. You will have a much better time making music if you know what a scale is, why some chords work and others don't, what time signatures are, etc. Its very tempting to just let quantizers and sequencers handle all of it but knowing the "rules" and how to creatively break them often makes more interesting music. Better to learn it early rather than later.

Thanks for all of this. The keylab 49 does look enticing (and is only $220). I do really like the utility of sequencers and arpeggiators, though, and I'm slowly talking myself into splurging on a keystep pro for the extra functionality with those (and so if I do end up getting some hardware it'll be easy to add to it). I do think I would want some sequencer support if I do make the jump to hardware. So I guess the question is whether it's better to get something that will make learning with software synths easier, or get something that ends up being better if I do decide to make the jump to hardware. I guess since I'm not really a musician at all maybe it makes sense to get the cheaper keylab and just learn on that, and then later if I go hardware I can spend more money later (though I do also like the smaller footprint of the keystep 37).

It's a touch embarrassing but I'd say the stuff that I'd love to make is SNES/PS1-era video game music, which seems like most standard systems can totally do, and shouldn't require too terribly much more hardware? I also do love the idea of just noodling around making impromptu jams, and perhaps that would be easier with the keystep 37 or pro?

And yeah -- I actually took a music theory class way back in high school. I don't really remember much of it, but it would probably come back to me somewhat quickly. Are there any good music theory youtube series that people recommend?

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJBlHHDc65fhZmKUGLrDTLCm6rfUU83-kbuD8Y0zU0o/edit#gid=1570468977

PS1 is CD audio, so anything could've been used.

SNES has its own sample-based soundchip and I can't recommend https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-sfc.html enough.

You can load up a file from https://www.zophar.net/music/nintendo-snes-spc into it, the plugin can capture the samples used, so you can play whatever you want.

edit: like this - https://vocaroo.com/1hviu2qJ38mx excuse the lovely playing and unimaginative harmony

This is awesome, thanks!

Ended up pulling the trigger on the keystep 37. Was supposed to get here yesterday but now just says that it's on its way. Excited to get to playing around with all of this. Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice!