Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Does anyone here have the Volca Sample? A cheap and small sampler seems fun, so I'm curious if it has any drawbacks beyond having to use Korg's iOS app or CEVS to load in samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I have a Volca Sample, a Volca Bass and some terrible Roland drum machine. I'd like to control them over MIDI and mix them together, but the Volcas only have headphone outputs and the drum machine is the only one with a THRU/OUT port.

My plan is to get a MIDI splitter box, and join together the headphone outputs with a DIY passive mixer. Is this sensible, or are there any drawbacks I'm not aware of?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Volca's only get clock info and note on/off info via midi so any of the really fun stuff you can do with them still has to be done by hand.

Also, if you only need one of them to receive clock (like the sample) you can send midi in to the one unit and then attach a sync cable between them without needing the midi splitter box.

The sync cable sadly doesn't really work in my case, as I'd like to pass notes to the Bass as well. Additionally, both of them do have parameters that can be tweaked over MIDI.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Cheese Thief posted:

Get all the thousands and thousands of carts people have programmed for DX7 over 30 years, load them into dexxed and see what the settings are maybe
Unless you are talking about a Reface then that wouldn't work.

If you are using a Reface DX: http://refacedx.martintarenskeen.nl/ has recreated a lot of vintage FM synth patches for it

In lieu of Dexed, there's a Ctrlr frontend by the same guy which works well enough

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

petit choux posted:

Question for the thread because you guys probably know the answer. I kinda quit paying attention to music hardware and stuff for a few years, it was right when there was a dedicated VST machine advertising on KVR. I guess that never really took off?

Emphatically not the intended use, but I got a LattePanda board for this purpose. You do have to bring your own audio interface and enclosure, but it seems to run the Korg and Native Instruments VSTs I've tried well enough.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

giogadi posted:

Idk of a better place to ask this:

Does anyone know of an open source software synthesizer that DOESN’T depend on JUCE? I’m working on a game with real time audio synthesis, and my current homebrew synth engine sucks rear end. I’d like to bring in a “real synth” but all the ones I know about (Helm, Vital, Dexed, surge) depend on JUCE which is a huge pain in the rear end to add as a dependency to my game engine.

Slightly off-the-wall suggestion but maybe the plugins for the DSSI API? It's an old standard with not that many plugins, but the API surface is small enough that you may be able to implement enough of it to host plugins (or, if the source is available, compile them as part of your game)

CLAP also has a simple reference host, but seems a little more involved to set up.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Is it worth going for a Disting EX over an MK4? On one hand the option to have two simultaneous algorithms/effects seems great for a smaller rack, but hopefully that doesn't mean double the menu-diving...

Additionally- does the Disting MIDI breakout only work with the current algorithm, or is it possible to have it do double duty as MIDI-CV outside of the MIDI-CV conversion mode (so you don't have to use an algorithm slot or put a second MIDI-CV interface in your rack)?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Eccles posted:

Take a look at the disting ex manual and see if any of the single mode algorithms look interesting to you.

B33rChiller posted:

I have the mk4, and I think the larger screen on the EX would be a big improvement, just to make navigation faster.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I've never had an EX but the oled screen would be worth it on its own, I think

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yes, 100%, it's not just "2 distings plus some algs", it is "2 distings with an actually usable UX plus some additional algs".

Thanks! I ended up going for the EX with the tiny MIDI breakout - after watching a few videos and reading the manual, the OLED screen does seem to improve the UI a lot, and being able to use it as an oscillator is pretty nifty :)

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Neurostorm posted:

It's a touch embarrassing but I'd say the stuff that I'd love to make is SNES/PS1-era video game music, which seems like most standard systems can totally do, and shouldn't require too terribly much more hardware? I also do love the idea of just noodling around making impromptu jams, and perhaps that would be easier with the keystep 37 or pro?

If you want to get directly to the SNES sound, you might want to look at samplers with soundfont support, since people have packaged a lot of SNES instruments into that format - Plogue has the free Sforzando player which should work in most DAWs. Plogue also has Chipsynth SFC which is a paid plugin, but offers plenty of presets out of the box.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Rolo posted:

The DX checks all the boxes of what I was looking for but it would be my first FM synth. Realistically, how hard is it to make a sound that isn't just noise?

It is very doable - actually being able to see your envelopes helps a lot, and there are plenty of presets on Reface DX Legacy Project to draw inspiration from.

The one downside is that the touchbars don't really lend themselves to editing sounds while playing (but you can get around that by using the Ctrlr panel to design the presets on PC instead).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

I completely missed that Arturia stopped making the travel bags for the Rackbrutes, are there any other good padded bags which fit the 6U?

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2024