Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norway looks like one of those jets you see spurting from black holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Sooo close to selling the Virus TI Desktop, but the gearslut in me says I still need the Virus's hypersaw oscillator. (The hypersaw lets you dial in up to 9 detunable saw waves off a single OSC slot, and is separate from the additional Unison feature.)

Is there a softsynth that does something similar to the Virus's hypersaw OSC for supersaw-type sounds? I normally use Massive as a Virus substitute, but it doesn't really work like the Virus in this one specific area.

I have seen people talk about Spire, Zebra, and Sylenth1 for hypersaws, and am curious to hear any confirmation of them, or suggestions of other plugs that do something similar.

I use Sylenth for long ambient pads, and of all the VSTs I've demo'd I still find Sylenth's detuned-multi-saw/sq/whatever to be the warmest of them all. It sounds utterly gorgeous; you can just set up a wall of sound a let it go.

https://soundcloud.com/wakeupffs2012/scapa-1

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Novation Impulse 61?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

TZer0 posted:

I'm kind of skeptical to Novation in general, I've tried the 61 SL Mk II which is supposed to be their expensive "flagship" and it was rather bad (keys were good though).

I was therefore wondering if you could tell me anything about the feel and build quality of the components - how do the keys, faders, drum pads and encoders behave?

I have a Nocturn controller and it's been fantastic, so the only thing I can vouch for are the encoders and Automap (which I presume are identical to those on the SL). As for the keys, pads etc I don't know.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Akai MPK/261?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2014-akai-introduces-new-mpk-midi-controller-keyboards-591995/1

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Guys on Reddit really hated the Massive patch. I dunno what to say; I actually know Massive better than any of the other synths I used (other than the Virus itself) and I just couldn't get it any closer to the Virus sound than that. :shrug:

You should've withheld which sound came from which synth; it cuts right through the prejudice.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I just hope GlitchBitch doesn't syphon away sales from my own company's upcoming RapNigga.

e: also my Arturia Beatstep arrives tomorrow so I'm currently giving Monark some preparatory foreplay.

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2014

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

toadee posted:

If you're this obsessed with the mixing and layering of parts etc maybe you should be a mixing engineer/production type dude rather than make music? Especially acid. God, if there's any kind of music that shouldn't be overproduced it's acid.

I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM8tUBFruZQ&t=532s

Bloody racket.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

So....the Beatstep is going back to the shop; Within an hour of mucking about with it I could tell I wouldn't get much use from it.

It's well made, feels very solid and is surprisingly heavy. But it's buggy. For example you can switch between MIDI CC control and Sequencer mode with a button press which should be fantastic; unfortunately if you use an encoder to set the cut-off frequency on a VST, switch to SEQ mode and alter the pitch using the same encoder, then switch back to MIDI CC mode the cut-off will jump to the SEQ encoder's value if you so much as touch the encoder. Also, the encoders are way too slow and the software adjustments have no effect. No doubt this is all fixable but it's annoying.

The main thing though - I've been spoiled by Automap. With the Beatstep the amount of faffing about creating, storing and switching presets as you move between VSTs is something I've no patience for any more :corsair:. A combined sequencer/MIDI controller is appealing but in use the Beatstep is like going back a decade in user friendliness.

So, not for me. I suspect it will be more suited controlling a purely hardware setup where there's no hassles integrating with a DAW and whatnot.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fors Yard posted:

Has anyone tried the Bassbot clone? Seems like that would be the closest and I would hope it would outdo the TB-3. Price isn't too terrible.

Mine came this morning! My first analogue/first hardware synth!

Came from France which is in Europe. It was supposed to be expedited delivery but apparently expedited in French translates as 'eleven days'.

£320 brand new. According to Cyclone it's classed as B-stock because there are a couple of scratches on the fascia but I swear you need an electron microscope to see them; they are about five atoms wide.

It sounds lovely and the build quality seems fine to me. I was going to get a TB-3 but for £320 (£100 less than in the shops) it was a no-brainer.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I fancy a little drum machine to go with the TT303 and the Volca Beats seems ideal. I want to be able to start,stop and sync the two machines without having to muck around with my DAW and midi and all that. The TT has gate and cv connections - the Beats has a 'sync' connection. Are these two machines 'compatible' so to speak? Is it just a matter of plugging one into the other and away we go?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Startyde posted:

I'm not that familiar with the TT but I don't think it's got dinsync out. I know it has MIDI out, I'd just use that. If you decide to get another volca down the line you can just sync out from the beats and it'll lock.

[C3PO]Oh poo poo, the splitter cable...I'd completely forgot.[C3PO]

Thanks!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone auto mapped Omnisphere before? I've got a layout for an SL series that has 16 encoders and I've moved things around to suit my 8 encoders but I'm not sure if it's really feasible.

Each instance has up to 8 instruments, each instruments has 2 layers and each layer has say 50 controllable elements. I've got it to work fine so far on Instrument 1 Layer 1, but beyond that it's not picking things up. But even if I could, I'd be looking at about 100 pages or so of maps which seems ridiculous if I want to cover the lot.

I think I'm happy with just having Instrument 1: Layer A/B having controls and then I can push them to other instrument banks as needed while I work on the other elements. Anyone done similar? Messing about with the filters and building stuff from scratch even on a single layer yesterday with my controller was super fun.

I haven't used Omnisphere but as far as Automap is concerned I think the best you can do is just add more pages to the profile. While Automap will happily leap around from plugin to plugin I don't think you can create profiles within profiles - if I'm understanding correctly what you want to do. And by the sounds of it there are so many controls it will always be quicker just to grab the mouse than hunt through page after page of obscure and rarely used mappings.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

For those of a mind to hate on hardware samplers what better way to indulge than from the safety of your armchair?

http://soniccharge.com/forum/index.php?/topic/600-cyclone-faq/

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamn, #5 is just beautiful.

Bored of Canada.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

So, hardware is not for me.

I've never been a musician but I've enjoyed creating weird sounds, textures, rhythms and whatnot for years with VSTs; all for my own consumption (I can't remember the last time I completed a full tune). So last year I started eyeing up some modest bits of hardware to play with - nothing fancy, just something to compliment my 'setup' of Live running on a laptop. I nearly got a Volca, I nearly got a Microbrute, I nearly got a Mopho, I nearly got a Nanozwerg.....

Eventually, a month ago, I finally took possession of a TT-303. And I loved it. The sound, the eccentric functionality, the tweakability. Only I found out pretty soon it was a pain in the arse to integrate with my existing setup. It was doable, but it all seemed a bit 'Heath Robinson' what with MIDI leads/interface all cluttering the place up, I had hassle syncing with the DAW, gain staging....blah, blah....

Well, within two weeks the novelty had worn off. I still loved the TT but it was, and remains, infinitely easier to compose my stuff without all the hoops that adding hardware introduced. Now maybe if I had a whole suite of complimentary hardware synths and could omit the DAW from the equation it would be a different story but from my experience having just the one hooked up was like trying work with a ball and chain attached. It hindered creativity rather than inspired it.

Thinking perhaps my attitude would change if only I bought a suitable drum machine to go with the TT I bought a TR-8. I opened the box, played with it for a couple of hours (it's very nice), realised it's never going to get used, and returned it the next day. Yesterday I sold the TT (which stung a bit). But I'm now back to my happier, noodling, VST-based self. The hardware spell is broken!

The moral? Dunno. Maybe in the future when hardware synths can be integrated as transparently as VSTs into DAWs then I might take another look.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

net work error posted:

Another sneak peek at the PO-12 by Cuckoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5a15IJqSc

I'm buying at least 2.

I thought this guy starved to death in Alaska years ago. There was a film and everything?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

W424 posted:

Maybe this qualifies for the groovebox stuff. Zoom 234 + Modded Monotron, audio used as CV.
Very lofi.

https://soundcloud.com/wolf-424/zoom234mongotron

Sounds like a TRS80 gig!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=2P8-WboRLVw&p=n#/81;84

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The Cleaner posted:

I'll just leave this here and let you guys caption it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dfsoGP8-I

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I'm the 90db generator just out of shot.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Hey someone buy my Virus. Goon discount available, shitloads of soundbanks and patches included.

That thick layer of dust really says 'buy me!'

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is there a good link for the news?

I'm just following the Gearslutz thread here....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1107464-909day-new-roland-products-announced.html

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Shameless bump. If there is a better thread to ask this just let me know. Think I'm headed to GC today and want to pick one up.

I had the Akai LPK25 which was useful and has a cool little arpeggiator - the MPK also comes with pads, knobs and the X/Y stick.

The Launchkey has no arp or X/Y stick but will probably integrate with Ableton Live lot better.

Personally I'd go for the Akai for the extra toys.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

goodness posted:

Found this on craigslist after seeing the op recommendation. This thing is awesome!! How can I get it plugged into my PC so that I add a drum track and control ableton with it.

As Flinger said the USB will send/transmit MIDI into/out of your DAW (Ableton) but you will need an audio interface* if you want to record/process the sound in Ableton.

* If you're expecting to add more hardware in the future then consider buying a combined Audio/MIDI interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

There you go Alesis I've fixed your loving keyboard you morons, you imbeciles