Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Talking of Blofelds, my desktop's developed a super wobbly/loose patch select knob (the super-wobble knob is distinct from the Scatter button). I don't know if I bumped it off something or whatever but there's a lot of forward/backward play now. It still tracks just fine so it's not a big problem but do any of you know if there's a nut in there somewhere I can tighten? It's long out of warranty so if need be I guess I can try my hand at soldering/burning my house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
I bought the Korg M1 VST today, which I rationalised as part of my career plan to become a composer of soundtracks for TV shows in 1993.

edit: It comes with the original manual, which I thought was kind of cool at first but quickly proved disappointing.

david mammoth fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 25, 2014

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

Bilal posted:

I love the M1 VST but trying to make and save/load user created patches is a pain in the rear end. I just use the factory patches. Some of the T1 sounds that come with it are extremely good as well.

And yeah, if you layer a soft piano with some strings and play minor chords it sounds a lot like an early X-Files episode.

Yeah, I got it knowing I'd basically end up using it as preset machine, but I like the idea of re-appropriating cheesy 90s rompler sounds (more in theory than in practice since obviously I never make anything more than a couple of loops before quitting Ableton).

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
^ I would theoretically be super-interested but unfortunately I'm in Europe (Ireland, specifically) so shipping would be more trouble than it's worth for both of us. I'm sure you'll be able to flip that for a decent amount though since i've heard nothing but good things about the G2s and they've developed kind of a cult following.

Talking of the Aira stuff, has anyone got any thoughts about that synth (System 1?) they're supposedly putting out? I can't decide if it looks interesting or like a total piece of poo poo.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would like to rescind my previous post about the scatter function on the TB-3. On further noodling, I have realized that I managed to generate the only two patterns that don't sound like absolute dogshit with scatter.

The universe makes sense again.

I wouldn't necessarily claim it's the worst synth ever but I owned (still do, although it's sitting under my bed somewhere untouched) the Korg MicroX, which was a mini version of the X50, or a stripped down Triton. I mainly hated it because of the build quality. It's a total piece of plastic poo poo and the power jack eventually became so loose that the cable falls out any time you nudge it. The screen is an awful nauseating bright red, it has a crappy joystick instead of mod and pitch wheels, and the presets are drowned in this ridiculous metallic reverb. As mentioned a couple of pages ago, I recently bought the M1 VST so I'm obviously not inherently opposed to cheesy PCM samples, but it was difficult to make this thing sound decent. Has Korg ever done a usable built-in reverb? I had better results using the Microkorg's delay for pseudo-reverb than whatever the MicroX's was meant to be.

What I'm saying is don't buy things with a Micro prefix.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

net work error posted:

In a stunning turn of developments I bought something. More details once I have it in my hands!

e: Realized that's a poo poo post. I got a Machinedrum ! Really excited for this and will give a full trip report when I get it and mess with it for a while.

Oh awesome, if I ever find a bag of money that's first on my list. Did you go for the sampling option?

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
From my brief time owning a Microkorg I actually think a broken key requires replacing the entire keybed since all the white keys are a single bit of plastic. The repair's nothing arduous though.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Having an owned both a Microkorg and the XL version briefly, I have to say that the XL was not really a bad synth, although it had those weirdo pseudo-weighted piano keys that made no sense.

Incidentally, I bought the Wavestation VST the other day in addition to the M1(in honour of Waffles). The Korg Legacy plugins are pretty great - I... kind of want a hardware one now. Help me.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
The effects on the Blofeld are pretty terrible (the reverb sounds like you're recording something in a giant bath tub) so I'd jump on an update like that. Even if it changed practically nothing else.

edit: Waldorf should really consider making the firmware open source at this point. The Blofeld's been out, what, six years? I love the thing but Jesus. But I guess we'd end up with a $100 knckoff Behringer Dr. No synth then.

david mammoth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 26, 2014

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Re: verb, I'll always recommend the Zoom MS-70CDR. It's a guitar pedal, but handles line level inputs pretty well (stereo inputs, too) and is about $100, and it's got a bunch of reverbs ripped off various more expensive units. The poor man's reverb/delay solution.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Synth reviewer/80s television collage auteur Jexus is apparently going to be doing a Q&A thing on the r/synthesizers reddit on Friday if anyone's interested.

net work error posted:

Korg wants all the money, this Volca sampler looks really cool as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTxg43_wBM

That looks amazing, especially if it retails close to the other Volcas, though apparently you can only upload samples via an iPhone app which is a bit weird.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
I don't own one so take this with as many grains of salt as necessary but I think the Triton taktiles come with a bunch of preset Triton PCMs as opposed to the engine as such, though presumably the M1 organ/piano etc. will be among those so that may not matter to you.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
April Fool's is the cruellest of days.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

sliderule posted:

While sample rate and bit depth aliasing have an interesting aesthetic on samples, I beg to differ regarding FM. I owned a DX7II, programmed my own phase modulation software, and now own FM8 and a ReFace DX, I can say that for every patch where the limitations of the old technology contributed positively, there are dozens of patches where the aliasing was detrimental.

Sorry if you've covered this before, but how do you like the Reface? I've developed a severe FM itch. I know it's only 4-op but some of the sounds I've heard from it are pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

sliderule posted:

Would I recommend it? Only if you can't use a VST to scratch your itch and you want a mini-key synth. Then again, Volca FM. Although I'm lollin hard imagining a Korg manual explaining FM synthesis and how to program the unit.

Thanks! It does look fun but not really at the price they're going for, particularly since Korg's just announced the new Volca which should satiate my appetite for clangy FM noodling.

Also lmao @ Yamaha throwing FM in their billion-dollar workstation while Korg releases this for ~$150.