Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I would like to send the clock signal from my Beatstep Pro into my Volca Keys. I have the Beatstep clock running in one step mode, but the Volca will frequently skip steps. The same problem happens if I try using one of the drum gates instead. How can I get this working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

utamaru posted:

I highly recommend a MIDI cable instead.

Yeah, I know. Maybe when I can afford a MIDI splitter. :geno: It's a little frustrating since clocking Volcas was mentioned during the hype train. I have the cables for this, it and I'd rather save the single MIDI out for something that doesn't already have a (polyphonic) sequencer built in.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
And here I was thinking that I was saving up for an MS-20...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, I think the MS-20 mini + SQ-1 is still a bit better than a Mother 32, but 2 Mother 32's would be better than a MS-20m.

They do different things and obviously sound different, but if I was planning on getting the MS-20m I would totally opt for 2 of the Mother 32's instead now.

Why doesn't Korg market a MS-20m that's fully assembled and doesn't cost more than twice as much as a normal MS-20 mini? Are the sync, FM, and PWM circuits that expensive?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My MS-20 mini came in yesterday! :swoon:

There was a little hiccup in shipping, so I wanted to check with the thread that everything is working as intended. The pulse wave disappears when the width is dialed past 2:00. Sometimes the sample and hold has its values stuck when I'm triggering from the keyboard (tried a paraphony patch from youtube).

Other than that, I'm having a blast!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Good to know. Thanks!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
So this came in today:

I love it! It's great for splitting/mixing signals on the MS-20.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got a glitch on the following patch:

Keyboard CV + LFO -> Osc 2 Pitch

The goal was vibrato in a single oscillator for ring mod shenanigans, which mostly worked. It was fine on the lower end of the keyboard, but the pitch scaling messed up at the high end. The weirdest part was that the LFO started to bleed into Osc 1 at the high end as well. Increase oscillator octaves, play lower keyboard: problem solved. :shrug:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

So Math posted:

I would like to send the clock signal from my Beatstep Pro into my Volca Keys. I have the Beatstep clock running in one step mode, but the Volca will frequently skip steps. The same problem happens if I try using one of the drum gates instead. How can I get this working?

Answer: run the clock signal through the MS-20 ESP, patch the trigger out to the Volca. :science:

https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/capitol-drive-comeback

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
No idea. Question: if you're using the play/stop messages from the BSP, then I assume you're using the Beats' internal sequencer. Do you have to leave a sequencer empty on the BSP? Does it transmit MIDI clock over all channels?

Must investigate. It does! My entire life is changed! :doh:

So Math fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 17, 2015

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I get paid tomorrow, and rather than get another synthesizer :shepspends: I'd like to get a better controller, to replace the cheepnis I've been playing on.

I sing and play live, so I'm pretty happy with keytaring. I'm thinking of getting an Alesis Vortex. Any comments before I pull the trigger on this?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Today, I learned to love the MS-20's mislabeled gate & hold. Thanks, for the (old) video, Pierre Ripplinger! :)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Barnyard Protein posted:

Can someone give me some signal routing advice?

I've got
  • Volca Keys
  • Volca Beats
  • OP-1

I'd like to record both the keys and beats with the op-1 simultaneously. I can't find any mixers that use 3.5mm connectors. do i just get a normal mixer and adapters?

Conventional wisdom regarding the Volca line is that the Belkin Rockstar headphone splitter makes for a cheap and decent passive mixer, meaning that you'll have to tweak the Volca's volume outputs to get your desired mix once you plug everything in.

Tangentially, I picked up a Volca Bass today, and I'm immediately lovestruck. Someday, when I'm not a poor graduate student, I might even own the whole line.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Holy poo poo. And here I am trying to save pennies for a used polysynth. Can I just trade in my MiniBrute?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
And again my breath is taken away. Anything else up your sleeve, MrLonghair?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Any suggestions for an alternative to the Alesis Ion? I want at least a 4 octave keyboard and as close to knob-per-function as possible, so the Micron and Miniak are out. How's the Roland JP-8000?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This is a good conversation and I'm glad to have read it. I feel my G.A.S. being stymied. Thank you. :3:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I sometimes take pictures of my MS-20, but I never find myself looking at them again. It's a security blanket -- then I feel more comfortable resetting all the knobs and trying something else.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Tayter, is it possible to get CV out of the Demora? I'm not getting consistent info.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tayter Swift posted:

... a Roland Demora which is used as a utility module since I can't stand its primary delay function.

I'm thinking about getting Bitrazer as utility for my MS-20. Any opinions on the other Aira effects?

No idea on where to get a decent MS-20 case, though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tayter Swift posted:

Apart from the V-Trig/S-Trig silliness you'll encounter on the MS-20, steer clear of the Scooper if you're just going to pick one up for a utility module, as it doesn't have the attenuators for the top knobs. I don't have experience with the other two modules but I probably would have gone with the distortion one if I had to buy one again.

I hadn't noticed that on the Scooper, thanks. I'm willing to give up the AD envelope as an S-Trig/V-Trig silliness converter as needed.

Neat.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This is the perfect time for me to actually make something.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Maybe this is the grad student/limited free time thing talking, but I've been satisfied plugging my Aira Bitrazer into my MS-20 for modular shenanigans.

Except for the Circuit I'm getting myself for my birthday.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I made something today! https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/cool-grey-cat

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

"it's come to this" is really sweet. :)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

That sounds excellent!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I stepped on my BSP's power cable a month ago and knocked it on the floor. I was really lucky that the socket remained intact. The pads and knobs feel a little loose now, but everything seems to function. I doubt I could get away with that again.

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 16, 2016

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I think I plugged something I shouldn't have while trying to record my Volca Sample. It still works, just now it makes a faint hum while its powered on. :sigh:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yeah, it hums on batteries. It seems manageable when playing with gain on the mixer, but it's very noticeable when just using headphones. Day saved? I'll mess with it more later.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got a Bitranger over the weekend. The production quality is a little less than I expected, but time just flies by while I've got my headphones plugged in.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
David Bowie themed arranger keyboard

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I would wait to see how the first production line goes, and how much firmware support they do.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Custom tuning sounds cool.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Circuit just got polyrhythms on its drum tracks. Granted, drums 1 & 2 have to have the same sequence length, as do 3 & 4, but it just got way easier to do 3/4, 7/8, and so on.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Solid advice -- I'm highly looking forward to being done with grad school and having the time for piano lessons.

So Math fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 17, 2016

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's an SY77 on my local craigslist for $150. The floppy drive is busted, and "there may be one key that sometimes does not work." Do I go for it, or do I save my money for the local music shop's end-of-business clearance sale?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

sector_corrector posted:

My nephew has an iPhone but not a computer. I'm interested in getting him a keyboard synth with associated software. Is there anything that's built for an iPhone?

I believe the Novation Launchkey, Arturia MiniLab, or Korg nanoKEY are built for this purpose.

SY77 update: Put out some feelers and it sounds like there's an issue with the screen. Will try to evaluate in person, also looking into replacement screens on eBay.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've decided that there's more issues with this synth than I care to deal with in the near future.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I like to run CV through the Bitrazer with the bit rate way down for a weird quantizer effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Wow. I am totally stealing those when I get back home next week. :3: