Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i completely agree with all of what Philthy said but also recording to and from a lovely cassette recorder can sound absolutely incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve strongly considered buying an akai s1000 sampler lately but i really need an audio interface with more inputs and a proper midi interface first

watho
Aug 2, 2013

imagine you’re trying to score an 80s gothic fantasy movie but all equipment you have is a cheap synthesizer and a cassette recorder.

also maybe you’re also a norwegian fascist in prison for murder

watho
Aug 2, 2013

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Ok so does anyone have a favorite controller that comes in 61 keys

what specifically are you looking for? do you want the best possible keybed? do you want deep integration with your daw or plugins? do you want lots of connectivity? what’s your budget?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mostly just as good of a keybed as I can find on a budget and I'll probably look for it used. I've never plugged a midi keyboard into a computer before so I have no opinions on daws etc or the utility of different things that might come on a controller

i’d look into the nektar panorama t6, it’s a good meat and potatoes keyboard. poo poo like the arturia keylab, or native instruments komplete kontrol keyboards are better but you’ll be overpaying for functions you don’t seem like you need.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I don't know if I care if it's synth action or semi weighted but I really went out of my way to find a desk that would fit a 61 key keyboard and I'd like to learn how to play keys with good form etc

i’d go with semi weighted if your goal is to learn to play keyboard

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah the SL 61 seems amazing but holy gently caress is it expensive and only makes sense if you have tons of poo poo to connect it to like a sort of brains of a studio or whatever

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Found someone selling an old semiweighted Axiom in great condition for cheap so :cheers:

hell yeah :cheers:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah having the forum where many industry reps post basically be called fingerbangers was just loving embarrassing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

also “wave sequencing” is a marketing term coined specifically for the wavestate

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah, with a DC coupled interface you can set up an lfo in your daw and send it to your modular for example

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i bought an isn’tses chernobylizer that arrived this week but i got hit hard by import tax so i can’t afford to buy a power supply for it until i get paid in like 2 weeks. the thing is absolutely gorgeous looking tho and i’m stoked to make soundscapes and layers on that thing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

serum is still the “industry standard” even if vital is offering a lot of competition (and i personally prefer it)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

literally me

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah an expert sleepers interface or adat module sounds like exactly what you want

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve been thinking of getting a pocket operator but aren’t the melodic ones or at least up until a certain series locked into a scale?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/all_caps_rin/status/1397978136613171206?s=21

i enjoy making things for human consumption :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I have absolutely no need for one of those, and have no idea what I'd do with it, but I've very nearly bought one about four times in the past couple of weeks. It would probably end up just being a very weird art/conversation piece in my studio, which I suppose is at least part of the intention behind it.

yeah i mostly use it for soundscapes and layers and such but it’s just insanely fun to gently caress around with

watho
Aug 2, 2013

petit choux posted:

What is it and where do you get it?

it is a chernobylizer by isn’tes running through a purple haze by digdugdiy. both of them are on etsy but digdugdiy stuff has a tendency to sell out the same day it gets put up so that one can be a bit tricky to get a hold of. i got lucky and got paid for a commission right as he put stuff up on his store back in late december

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i have never felt the need to upgrade from the free version of vital for what it’s worth

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Agreed posted:

I really appreciate your input. Do you use different than the stock wavetables? And, uh, if so do you know where I could find some? I exported a bunch from Waves Codex which I got for free in a magazine promotion this year, and it has been handy to have those in Vital for sure. But I am feeling like I could use some more.

May I ask, you never felt a need for Serum or some other wavetables synth with Vital?

i actually moved to vital from serum. i currently tend to stick with the factory wave tables but i also have some miscellaneous ones i’ve collected over the years. like the massive and virus ones

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the third oscillator and filter is a big part. the way it visualizes modulation is another. i also really like the fact that you can have two different “modifiers” per oscillator. they’re both fantastic synthesizers and it’s for sure worth it to try serum for a month to see which one you prefer

watho
Aug 2, 2013

how good of an emulation is the RD-6? the 606 is probably my favorite of the oldschool drum machines and it’s very underrepresented when it comes to clones and reissues

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah the hats are definitely a long ways off but aside from that it sounds real good

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i super loving want it but there’s no way i can afford it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

SynthThread: “I spent €15K on music gear because the alternative was to be a sex pest to strangers online”

lmfao
l

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i have an MPK mini and while i don’t regret the money i spent on it i really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. the keybed just sucks to play with

watho
Aug 2, 2013

606 is twice as much as 303 therefore 2 of each is better than 3 303s

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Agreed posted:

I really appreciate that you took so much time to inform me. I'm trialing PhasePlant right now and really impressed with it, to the point I'm thinking I'll switch from Serum rent to own to Kilohearts sub. Still sticking with Vital, too, it's been really great to work with.

i absolutely adore phase plant, it is my go-to for more out there stuff. it is more work to get going than with serum or vital for instance but you can get truly bonkers with it. something that might not be straight forward if you aren’t up to date on how digital synthesis works is that in order to get stable FM you want to modulate phase, not pitch.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

most if not all synth sounds in this track i made a while ago is phase plant if you want a pseudo demo

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/rMUJL68aaQMCBHcD8

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Chola posted:

Did a song using only Polyend's Tracker and some one-shots from Legowelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiOfNm9KKkY

Very nice instrument, but does anybody else have problems with the rotary encoder knob? Mine's starting to skip values. :smith:

this is insanely good and makes me wanna get one of those even more

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Chola posted:

Thanks! I... think they’re out of stock now? Unless you get one of the more expensive (and uglier imo) Artist Editions.

yeah. i’ve been keeping an eye on the used market as well but there’s not a lot there either which is probably a good sign but still preddy annoying

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i think making cheap clones of gear that you can’t get without taking out another mortgage is good. my problem with behringer clones is that they don’t really sound like what they’re supposed to be cloning. and also uli being a horrible loving person

watho
Aug 2, 2013

inferis posted:

Aren’t they the exact same circuits?

nope!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oldstench posted:

They sound close enough that in a mix you can't tell a difference. Only cork-sniffing weirdos care about that poo poo.

i mean for the most part i agree, bad word choice notwithstanding, but there’s stuff like the tr606 which is beloved because how it cuts through a mix and the behringer clone just doesn’t. does that mean i don’t think it’s worth the price? not at all! it’s a dirt cheap drum machine that sounds pretty drat good. their 303 clone as well is very good for the asking price. it’s not a painstakingly accurate recreation of a tb303 but like you said you can’t really tell in a mix. same goes for any subtractive vst tho once you understand how to recreate an acid sequence.

i’m not a snob in the slightest when it comes to synths, i’m just not a fan of litigious, anti semitic ceos and marketing hype. buy what you think is worth buying and make the music you wanna make! :shobon:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

that looks incredibly sick

watho
Aug 2, 2013

C > B > Micro

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it’s just ironic considering their recent marketing has involved ~*lifting up female creator’s voices*~ which don’t get me wrong is a noble thing to do but not if you treat women behind closed doors like this

basically

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao literally no corporation nor company is your friend

watho
Aug 2, 2013

a second LFO is pretty huge i’ve gotta say. i still don’t think i could put that money into a sampler without slicing but it’s getting more tempting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah from what i’ve seen and heard it’s an extremely competent machine but i do way too much breakbeat stuff so no slicing is kind of a dealbreaker for me personally