Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I've got a beginners q about workflows if anyone wants to share some advice.

I bought a minilogue XD on a whim to replace a simple electronic keyboard I had and I'm finally getting an understanding of the components of synthesis and really enjoying it. I've got it hooked up to my laptop and kcan record midi or audio.

It's got a built in sequencer but I'm also keen to use multiple voices, so currently I'd dial in roughly the sound I want, play something and record midi then build up tracks and alter sounds as it comes together.

I wondered how you guys work & also whether it's likely I can bring the sequencer on the minilogue into play using my daw to trigger it somehow?

Ideally without buying any extra kit I'm wondering what the most interactive set up I can have is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Cheers for the link.

Had abit more of a think (writing out initial post helped me clarify it in my head abit) and what I'd like to try is getting a set up where the daw loops over a block of time, receives audio & midi concurrently for each part of a "song" and then I can step back into each part, sending only that midi component to the synth and reparameterising the sound on the synth & rerecording as it goes.

I think that should be achievable, maybe just need to learn more shortcuts on cakewalk to make it smoother to do on the fly.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Cabbages and Kings posted:

also this discussion has caused me to watch more minilouge xd videos than is healthy, especially since I could just fuckin buy one, at least, as of this moment in time

i have like 2k in eurorack poo poo plus a VC340 lined up for the spring though :sigh: :getin:

someone go buy my tablet in SA mart, you can perform acts of synthesis with it

Hah I really like it, three sources of sound and a stack of ways to modify and combine them, with the opportunity for various plugins to load into the digital oscillator. I've learnt alot more than I thought I would when I bought it.

But alot of what I like is the self contained nature of it as 'my first synth', im not sure I'd go for it if I had a larger set up with individual hardware components.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Right I've managed to connect my minilogue to bespoke synth and it's got the ability to hook basically all the parameters up to their own LFO. Which is wicked. Although I can't really think of a use for it.

Writing randomised midi tracks & chord progressions using python was more directly useful though.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Thanks to whoever mentioned bespoke synth awhile back. It's massively unlocked the potential of this minilogue XD for me. You can set LFOs and stuff in the soft synth to control midi cc parameters and it's been really interesting adding small and large perturbations to secondary parameters to add some organic movement in the background.

It's pretty amazing how with relatively few moving parts you suddenly get really complex sounds!

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Not sure how much keyboard/piano you know but when I got my synth I didn't know much. One thing I think I'd have liked to have earlier (but not necessarily straight away!) was the scaler2 plugin/vst. It's a really handy music theory plugin which will highlight different scale options.

For example I got to a point where I could stick 3 chords together on guitar or keyboard pretty easily but then I'd be stuck trying to expand things. It can do more stuff (play arpeggios and just outright give you professions etc) but I find it really useful just for immediately answering the question of "what would be another chord to add or scale to use?" without having to break out of the flow too much.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

tylertfb posted:

Also known as a w

A uu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

snorch posted:

My brain says you’re looking for an OP-1 or Yamaha PSS-A50.

The reason I bought a synth was that I had one of these and enjoyed it for playing in the sitting room w/headphones or whilst watching abit of TV - until I let my toddler play it and it broke.

..it was very funny setting it to arpeggio mode and letting him hammer the keys.

But after that broke I knew I enjoyed the keyboard aspect and thought it might be fun to add more options and ended up with a second hand minilogue xd