Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

that's some nice acid you got there. I still think it would sound better at 125 though :smugdog:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I need to confess a thoughtcrime for public absolution or something.

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over. I'm trying to decide if I want to just get some compressed as gently caress samples and go nuts so I can actually make something for once but that feels like cheating if I just buy a Vengeance pack, but poo poo, at least those dudes actually make things with Vengeance. I literally took a half hour break in the middle of writing this post to gently caress with drums and that's just making me angry at the world.

Like, does it just make sense to go #fuckit #yolo and get the same overprocessed drums (which I like) as everyone else and then learn drum layering and compression from scratch at a slower pace while actually making stuff, or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting that kind of sound that I might have missed? Or what the gently caress am I doing I don't know.

:(

I would just get the Vengeance kick pack or another similar pack with lots of different kicks. I think people spend a little too much time on kick drums, when the more important thing is making the rest of the song fit with the kick drum, especially the sub-bass. In a club no one cares if you sampled your kick drum or created it from a sine wave you generated on your homemade synthesizer. Speaking of techno and other four on the floor genres here.

I wouldn't apply this reasoning to other elements of the song, but I think in terms of productivity it definitely helps and lets you focus on the more important/interesting parts of the song.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Radiapathy posted:

Agreed. The VST thread is more of a catch-all for all plugin related stuff (effects, tools, libraries, etc.) that doesn't necessarily have to do with synthesis.

I once had an awesome fader/knob controller (BCF2000) and an awesome dedicated drum pad device (Korg padKontrol) and a keyboard controller with a ton of pads, knobs, and faders (Akai MPK49) and I never used ANY of it. I have a Steinberg CC121 now, which for my purposes is just a transport control and macro launcher for Cubase.

It really comes down to personal preference. I decided that hardware control wasn't for me, at least for plugins and other software stuff.

EDIT: I should say, though, that I think part of the reason I never utilized the hardware control options was I never invested the time necessary to put together templates and mappings and whatnot to suit my setup or workflow. I'm just really not a customizer. In 95% of cases, I install a product and I use it without ever even looking at configuration settings. But I also honestly don't feel I'm missing out on anything by sticking with mouse/keyboard for everything other than playing notes.

I'm the same way, I've got these hardware controllers, with knobs, pads etc., but I always get lazy and just mouse stuff in. I do use the piano keyboard though.