Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, uh, very amateurish question. I'm mostly into the video side of filmmaking things, but am looking to start accenting some of my stuff with some audio. I hesitate to say "score" because I'm definitely not a composer. I can play guitar and carry a rhythm, but that's about it.

I'm very interested in some downpaced (kinda trip hoppy) watery/chimey stuff. Sorry for being embarrassingly vague there, but I'm really looking to create subtle accents and undertones rather than flat-out musical numbers. Thus I'm looking to dip my toes in the synth world.

It seems like a Microbrute + Volca Sample might be a fun combination to start with. I definitely want the ability to sample. And then maybe add in other Volca modules later?

I'd be recording to computer, but I think I have that part covered.

I guess my question is... what pitfalls might I not be seeing since I'm coming in so new?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

W424 posted:

I'd advice to start with a DAW and virtual instruments. You can basically do a album for free on the computer (or throw away tons of money on some out of the box wetdream). The volcas/microbrute aren't going to be much use by them selves, sound will come out and they will be mostly/maybe/pray be in sync with each other but you can't do much about it. I have volca/microbrute and some other stuff as a small unit themselves trough a small mixer that I sample and treat as a noise source, the "real" instruments are routed seperately. The DAW would allow you to produce things vs something happening and knobs twisting.

Ofcourse improvisational electronics are a thing by them selves but it takes time before that starts to sound anything like music/listenable.

Great advice thanks! Is there a DAW thread?

Also I'm more interested in pieces of sound at the moment more than anything that resembles a typical "song" if that makes sense.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

W424 posted:

*youre probably going to buy a bunch of poo poo anyways. It's a sickness.

Yeah no poo poo. I went from "scaling back to just looking at a DAW" to "ohhh this Ableton Live Studio + Push + Novation Impulse 25 for $950 looks great!"

It was exactly like this when I started buying camera equipment. I'm gonna go take a walk.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MockingQuantum posted:

If you see any good deals while you're out, let us know.

Ha, last night actually B & H put up the Tascam US-122 MK II audio interface for $45 with free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657978-REG/Tascam_US_122MKII_US_122MKII_USB_2_0.html/dealZone/true

I managed to snag one before it sold out. Should be a decent enough (hopefully) outboard interface for my amateur beginnings.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

About a third of Amazon reviews (us/uk/de) of the MKII have one or two stars saying it's unusable, to the point of clicks in the recordings and random garbage output. Positive articles about it are all XP era. Apparently the Windows 7 drivers are poo poo and there's a bunch of compatibility problems with macs where it might not work at all on some models.

I've looked at the thing before because it's been cheap for a while and apparently lucked out that it didn't have Windows 7 drivers at all at the time, or I might have bought it.

Looks like they released new Windows drivers just last month (the previous driver release was 3 years prior(!!)) so lets hope that fixed everything. I'll just return it if not.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

Seeing as the reviews suggest some of the problems only start to show up after a couple of months, I'd just return it anyway if it was me, but then I don't think there's much else you're going to get for $45. So good luck.

It was an impulse thing anyway, I have a ton of B&H credit. I'll still probably just return it anyway and get something proper.

edit: Or just get work to reimburse me and offload it onto them if it starts to get shaky.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stillvisions posted:

I had a mark 1 back in the day on an XP system - worked generally okay though you really needed something else to amplify it - it was fine with a mixer output as input but any gain on the tascam would result in ugly digital noise. One day it just stopped working so I gutted it for parts; turns out that not one, but three of my USB cables were hosed up for some reason so I'm not sure if it really died or I used multiple bad cables to test it. Replaced it with the Focusrite 2i4 which isn't bad (again, amplify it before it goes in) but the latency isn't great on it so you definitely want to use direct monitoring when recording.

Cross posting from the interface thread:

Haha this came in and it's hilariously poorly built. It's got 4 big knobs on it and NONE of them rotate with the same tension. One has perfect resistance and the other three are varying degrees of "loose" to "there's no way this can actually work" loose. It also has three dip switches. Again one is perfect and one is medium and one is incredibly loose.
It's like the loving Goldilocks of terrible hardware design.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

net work error posted:

Lots of new info on the Teenage Engineering synths from CDM.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/01/nintendo-game-watch-inspires-tiny-59-synths-teenage-engineering/

They're three synths like the Volca series (bass, rhythm, and lead) and all three cost $59. :eyepop:

drat those look like a lotta fun!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hug a mexican posted:

Hello synth thread why haven't you noticed this yet oh well guess i'll have to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1B_5bO4Ns

So that's a desktop MS-20 with a sequencer neat huh

Key features:
Desktop modular version of the MS-20 Mini
2VCO / 2VCA / 2VCF / 2EG / 1LFO structure
Self-oscillating high-pass/low-pass filters with distinctive distortion
Toggle switches for VCO 1 to 2 sync / VCO 1 to 2 FM /
Toggle to switch between rev 1 and rev 2 filter designs
Adds junction patching bay for integration with SQ-1 Step Sequencer (included)
External signal processor (ESP)
Extremely flexible patching system
MIDI IN and USB connector

some synth swedes also speculated those little black blob things on the left side of the patch bay are pre-drilled mod holes but i'm not quite convinced. Anyway, korg thing, discuss and drool

Private now :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Those little PO systems came up on teenageengineering's site finally.

I did notice that if you check out with a credit card it was horribly glitching and not working. I switched to "credit card with PayPal" and it worked fine.

They decided to launch a new website AND a new product at the same time which was... probably not the brightest idea.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Radiapathy posted:

I hadn't been paying as much attention to the NAMM stuff as some of you guys have, and I know you've already talked about the new Roland stuff- but after seeing this Gearslutz interview about the JD-Xi, it is actually sounding like a crazy little monster of a synth for only $400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbXZgtW6NY4

Showing up as $500 on B&H, but still seems pretty awesome (although I am completely new to synths and could tell my rear end from a CV gate).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MockingQuantum posted:

I just finished soldering together my Groovesizer Red! Trip report:

-Dropping $100+ on a soldering iron was the best investment I've made in years. I didn't know the squalor I was living in prior to this.
-The build quality on this little guy is pretty crap, but that's reflected in the kit cost. I know I'm the one building it, but I mean the pots and switches. They don't feel like they'll stand much abuse, and the tension on the pots is hilariously uneven.
-It's got its own unique brand of brokenness, probably due to me loving up a couple of solder joints, then fixing them later. I have no idea if I'm hearing what I should be. That being said, it's kind of charmingly lo-fi and unpredictable; in the step sequencer mode, you set pitch in a pretty clumsy button press + knob turn fashion, which is fun in its terribleness. It'll probably end up being another midi module.

All told, there are worse things I could have spent $80 on. However, there are likely much better things that money could have been spent on too, but I wanted to get into synth kits, and for that this was great. I may have hosed the thing up, but I don't really know one way or the other, and I'm not out a ridiculous sum if I did.

On a similar note, since I'm interested in getting into synths as well... is it worth it to drop some cash on the Moog Workstatt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076886-REG/moog_werkstatt_01_moogfest_2014_kit.html)?

There's so much terminology I don't understand since I'm diving right in, and I'd rather actually understand what's happening rather than just memorizing things.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sizone posted:

Probably not. That's a lot of money for not a lot of synth.

Well it's not really about how much money for how much synth, but will it provide a decent "guts" learning experience.

And if the answer is still no, then is there any other better option or recommended reading for really learning the ins and outs?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

If you're looking for something small with a mod matrix, the MicroBrute is not too bad. Cheaper too, with more usable keys. And a sequencer!

I'm probably gonna get the MicroBrute or something soon, but the Workstatt thing is more about putting together a synth from the ground up...soldering and what not... to give you an actual understanding of HOW a synth really works before moving on to bigger and better things. I'm not really interested in it as a synth for synth's sake... just a learning tool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

The version sold now isn't the workshop version- no soldering required. It just snaps together.

Oh. Well. That's loving pointless! And answers my questions, thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think all of y'all should watch this video about the Werkstatt-Ų1, especially from 7:15 on, because:

1. Assembly is screwing it into a case, you're not going to learn soldering from just the thing you get from Moog.
2. On the other hand it has all these documented break and insert points (inside the case, so beyond the external patch points) and even a freestanding patch matrix for modding and rerouting the thing in and out of other electronics, which makes this a thing suitable for starting cuircuitbenders. It was pretty much made for that. So, just looking at the specs and the control panel and saying it's not a lot of synth for the money is also not really cutting it when describing what the thing is.

But if you're interested in a solder-by-the-numbers thing, this isn't it, unless you're already checking out modding instructions for it and plan on buying additional crap for that.

Good to know. The only thing I was trying to get out of it is "will it help me actually understand the basics of a synth, why things do what they do and why elements are called what they are?" Whether it's soldering or made with cheese and string or what I really don't care... just if it actually helps learn as that's what out seems made to do.

ozmunkeh posted:

In that case this will probably be what you're after: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

Perfect thanks!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 28, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

Honestly there are a ton of low cost analog synths on the market right now. You'll learn more from actually playing with each knob than you ever would from actually building it. You don't need to know the engineering to know how to make music with a synth, or even what each part does in an abstract way. This cheesy 80's series here explains everything pretty well:

http://www.producingbeats.com/videos/new-york-school-synthesis-intro-synthesis

That said, I'd stay away from DIY until you know how it's supposed to work or you'll never figure out what the hell you broke. And for the love of god stay away from modular until you know your way around regular synths, it's a gear junkies money pit.

Seriously, get a MicroBrute($300) or even a Volca Keys($150), something cheap. Lots of folks have these, they can give you tips.

That MFOS link gave me ask the info I think I'll need. But it wasn't about thinking I needed that info to make music... I was just interested in how they worked. I was prob gonna get a microbrute regardless and this was just something I was looking at in parallel as a learning tool. I'll skip it though.

(And yeah I think I'll stay away from DIY for now)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm definitely down with starting with fewer features. I was looking at that JD-XI and it seems nice, but it seems like it's got some menu diving.

Probably gonna order the Microbrute today...the ONLY thing that has me a bit hesitant (and yeah I know it's a little stupid for such a newbie) is the lack of an apreggiator... that's one of the few things I did understand what it is right off the bat and I like it's function. Tell me I'm being stupid and just go ahead and spend the monies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sliderule posted:

I'd rather have a sequencer than an arpeggiator, personally. The arpeggiator is a better live performance tool, but aside from that, the sequencer does everything that the arpeggiator does.

White MicroBrute ordered!

So excited.

Also forgot that I ordered the TE PO series thingamajigs as well. I shall be creating tons of terrible bleeps and bloops in no time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What does GAS mean?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yay: my Microbrute came in!

Booo: B&H shipped me a box in pretty bad shape. The actual SHIPPING box from B&H was in pristine condition... so it left the warehouse this way:

That's one end of it crumpled in like drat car crumple zone and ripped up really bad and completely taped back together haphazardly. It looks clearly to be used or an open box or something. Or got badly damaged in the warehouse and somebody thought just slapping some tape on it was acceptable.

Ugh so now i have to decide whether to just return it or go with it. I don't wanna wait any longer :(. Contacted B&H...hopefully they'll send me a replacement asap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Startyde posted:

B&H is pretty notorious for selling returns as new.

Geez that sucks. We've probably ordered near 6 figures worth of stuff from them in the past with no issues. I'm only ordering this from them because I have some credit with them. Might just scrap it and go Amazon.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

field balm posted:

Gonna chime in and recommend you just download a bunch of free vst synths and see which one appeals to you. You can learn basic subtractive synthesis on anything and it gets you 90% of the way, and you can do another 9% with free vst effects.

I'm a bit confused about the world of VST synth stuff (as I'm utterly and completely new to it)

Laserjet 4P posted:

Also, Massive is indeed very capable, but most of the tutorials you're going to find are for dubstep wobble thingies. U-He Diva also spans a wide range and does the vintage thing pretty well, but before spending a fuckton of money, give Tyrell and OBXD a try.

So Laserjet mentions Tyrelln6, but going to that site, following the links and downloading the synth shows that it appears to just be VSTs that you plug into a software synth you already have.

Am I missing something? I wouldn't doubt it if I would, but what are some actual free synth programs to pug it into if any?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators came in yesterday. Haven't got them up and running yet because having a 6 month old takes up ALL YOUR TIME, but good lord those things are even smaller than I thought.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
These pocket operators are crazy fun. At first it's like "yeah some cute presets, this is a nice gimmick" but then you start digging into making your own patterns and poo poo and the little mini sequencer plus effects are really fun and easy to start making cool poo poo fast. And I've only played with one so far (Factory)!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oldstench posted:

Anyone fuckiong around with the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators?
https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

Yeah I've had all three for a week or so now and love them. They seemed just kind of like a fun gimmick at first but once you start building your own patterns they are surprisingly full featured and the two parameter lock knobs per are great.

My work has been out of control busy so I haven't been able to dive into them as much as I've wanted to but I can't wait to start creating terrible songs with them.

edit: I will say the one complaint I have is that because they are so small, a lot of the features are operated via a combination of buttons. So to punch in live sounds while playing you have to make sure write + play are selected at the same time, or to select sounds you need to make sure certain things are pressed and so on and so forth. It's not a deal breaker certainly, but it definitely takes a bit of time to learn them to be able to do stuff on the fly and consistently.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 8, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oldstench posted:

"Glassy" screams FM to me. "Watery" makes me think of Korg-like filters. Everyone else will have a different idea.

But we all know yours is the only one that matters. So I'm runnin' with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Scatterfold posted:

oh gently caress yeah a wavestation; the vst must be like £30 now. worth it.

Hell yeah. I kinda want the physical thing, but just my initial search seems like it may be hard to get one that isn't a bit dodgy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Scatterfold posted:

I really like the VST. It must be about 10 years old now but Korg nailed it and the M1 and tbqh seeing as both are digital synths anyway it doesn't seem to me like you're losing much by having them inside a computer. There's a lot of WS on this ep; it's def a unique synth.

Yeah there's really no reason for me to try to go beyond what I have at the moment physically. I need to get a DAW (I have Audition as part of my Create Suite bundle, but I'm gonna spring for Live) and start working there first. My microbrute and PO's have quenched my physical synth desires.... for now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wayfinder posted:

Synths and Synthesis MkII: I'll gently caress anything with a pulse wave

For future reference, the third thread should be titled Synth and Synthability MkIII.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oldstench posted:

My birthday is coming up.

What are you all going to get me?

I can smack around on my PO's for a bit and possibly give you a seizure?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've contacted a couple places for the best new Microbrute prices. 99% sure that's the direction I'm going, the layout and sound is too good compared to everything else I've found in the price range. I'll submerge in various other synth demos for a few days until I choose where I'm buying from and then order if I haven't found something I like more. I'm excited! I'm also thinking of eventually adding a Minitaur to use with the Microbrute for obvious reasons.

I'm officially diving in the bleep bloop poverty hole aren't I?

I have a barely used Microbrute (Special Edition White color) that I'll sell you for dangerously cheap if you want! Plus I'll even through in a 7 day trial run where you can return it if you don't like it :).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

net work error posted:

I got one of the Pocket Operators (Factory) and it's fun but not as serious as a Volca unsurprisingly. Lots of fun for ~$60 though so if you've got the spare cash and were interested I'd say go for it.

I have all three and they are fun as hell. Although the learning curve is kinda funnily steep. Well steep in that the buttons are confusing enough that if you stop using it for a few weeks you have to re-read the manuals.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

http://youtu.be/C2q2bis6eLE

Also, it occurs to me that there is a far more natural solution to this whole MiniNova v. Microbrute issue. K. Davis simply hasn't matured to this point yet.

You don't call around music stores and look for the best price on a new Microbrute. You wait and you wait and then you buy one for $160 from a guy with a degree in Russian Lit who sells weed.

I do not sell weed nor have a degree in Russian lit thankyouverymuch

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Adding to the Black Friday sales spam, Sweetwater has Arturia V Collection 4 for $199 right now, which is cheaper than the V Collection Classics I almost bought last week. :eyepop:

And I got paid today. Oh god. Ohhh goddddd come on will power.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Barnyard Protein posted:

Just buy the synths. those would all cost like $50,000 if you bought the real things. treat yourself. you deserve it.

Bought it for $198 for the Boxed version @ Amazon.

edit: I Hate all of You

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 29, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah when you think about it that way, you'd basically be throwing away $49,800 if you DIDN'T buy it.

I just listed my boxed version on eBay for $30,000 ($42,000 Buy It Now® option)... am I doing this right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looking for a controller to gently caress around with the Arturia collection I just bought. Are the Keylabs decent? I'm looking at the 25. The 49 is pretty nice but might be a little big for me since I'm in "gently caress around" mode. But I do like the additional pad.

The NI K series might be a little much for me on this go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I've had a pair of M-Audio monitors for 8 years. I've never had any complaints, and I sometimes wonder if that's a failing on my part.

I think their monitors are kind of in a different department than most of their other equipment. We've had quite a few sets of M-Audio monitors over the years and they've all been great. But some of their other gear (breakout boxes, etc) has been hit or miss.