Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really need to stop watching these Marc Doty videos on the Pro-2. I should not go and spend $2000+ on a Pro2.

I am probably going to spend $2000+ on a Pro2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kuf posted:

I bought an MS-20 a few weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun, but after failing to copy a couple patches, I'm worried there might be something wrong with mine. Is there like a diagnostic checklist out there or something like that?

Sup new MS-20 owning buddies :hi5:

Paired mine up with a new Microbrute and poo poo just owns. Do you have any patches you want to compare? I can try to recreate and throw on Soundcloud.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anything is possible musically if you just now how to manipulate sine waves :colbert:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Also I'm preeeeety sure I'm gonna pick up an Analog 4 next month. It'll play well with my MS-20 and Microbrute, and together I can call them the Brute 420. And I like Berlin school which is from what I've seen is a perfect match.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I hoe they're just watching cat-playing-keyboard videos on YouTube during the whole set. If anyone has earned the right, it's Kraftwerk.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm casually looking to sell mine if you're in the U.S. and would like to discuss! It's a phenomenal box that I just don't use enough because I have so much gear.

I think I might be able to score one here, but thanks for the offer :)

I do have a couple of questions though.

First, are these the insert cables it needs for CV out to other synths? I screwed up last time I went looking.

Also, if I understand correctly the CV is sequenced in its own track. Does this include note data? In other words, can I fully sequence my MS-20 independently of the other tracks and essentially have a five-voice multi timbal groovebox, or even six if I can find a way to being the Microbrute in?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

Yes those are correct although I've used the pigtail instead which is a little more flexible since you can choose the length you need with the end you want. If/when you start a euro, there's also the Synapse which works a treat.

There's six tracks on the machine 1/2/3/4/FX/CV. Each of the four CVs can be V/oct, Hz/oct, "VAL"ue(do whatever CV), trigger, gate, clock. Pitch, trig, and gate can be assigned to any of the six tracks. So for driving two monosynths traditionally, two tracks of CV+Gate, just assign each pair to FX and CV, respectively. You can still manipulate the FX with plocks/EGs/LFOs, it's not used up. This is a departure from older Elektron boxes in that effect tracks would be gated by trigs on their tracks. The FX are live all the time as long as they're not turned down.
You could also use a VAL manipulated by an EG (or one shot LFO) to directly drive a VCA/VCF rather than a gate or trigger. Or any combination.

Oh, looks like the pigtail is more what I need then. And since the L/R inputs can be independently panned it looks like I really will have something of a six-voice beast, sweet. Thanks much!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My A4 gets here Friday and I can't wait :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

This Is only $540 and there is literally zero menu's to dive through. He'll have to get a keyboard to play it but it's a really cool little box for the price, in fact I might just have to pick one up.

Outside of that though the best bet would be a micro/minbrute or bass station 2.

Whoa, hadn't seen that one.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Aww yiss time for sixty posts of analog vs digital bitching :getin:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man Kraftwerk had it rough.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All RadioShak had to do was start selling 200-in-1 synthesizer kits and they'd have been gol-- wait that LittleBits stuff, never mind.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's what sequencers are for :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What options are there for a sample-based drum machine that can be played via CV? I want to make some drum kits out of my MS-20 and control it with my Analog Four but the A4 doesn't output MIDI, only CV. And I don't feel like paying 1600 for a drat Rytm either.

Preferably it'd work basically like midi -- hit C0 for one sound, C1 for another etc.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Need CV in tho. And now that I think about it it wouldn't work anyway since you can only trigger one note per step with CV. Oh well.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh okay gotcha. There's still some practicality issues with the number of CV tracks tho. I'll probably just try an iPad solution or something I dunno.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What uses din MIDI? My Analog 4 has it but I've never heard of it before.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Remember to estimate the chance of you losing your money and dividing $999 by that before deciding if it's worth it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sorry man, my tabletop is full :(

Part of me wants to pick up a Minitaur just to have a Moog but eh. My Microbrute has been getting pretty short shrift too, I should find a place for it more.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile Marc Doty is pissed cause he still hasn't recieved his yet.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The other module better be fuckin called pooper

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
gently caress me that really is a digital MS-20 then

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
synthtopia.jpg

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Glass posted:

why are stackable cables $9 a pop :negative:

Just get some of these

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Minibrute's a hundred off on Arturia's site if anyone's interested.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Any good recs for a chorus pedal? I'd like something that gets me in the ballpark of the Ensemble setting on a Polysix.

Preferably mono to stereo, and bonus points if it has expression pedal input. I don't think I want to fork out $500 for the Cluster Flux though despite its awesome name.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the elkorus rack unit from spain is the only bbd based ensemble style chorus in production that im aware of. most choruses only modulate one delay line, but the ensemble on the ps-6 is fancy like a stringers chorus and modulates 3 delay lines with one lfo, phased at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees. its a pretty complex and not at all common effect, but there may be some digital unit that does it

Bah hell. Googles not really helping me out here either.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't have the Minitaur but it's hobbled for leads as it will not produce notes more than an octave higher than middle C. You can't even pitch bend past that.

There was a recent price drop on the Slim Phatty, making it only a hundred more than the Minitaur for what seems like much more flexibility.

In other news, I just ordered Amazon's last Freqbox :negative:

(E: it should be noted that Gordon reid's review of the Phatty may be the single most scathing one ever published in SoS so uh... Yeah)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 13, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Okay I'm loving around with modulating the filter at audio rates and my brain is breaking.

I have my MS-20 Mini set up with what should be producing no sound -- oscillators are off, low pass is at zero (so I guess 20hz), no peak. Hit a key and I get silence. So far so good.

Then I take an audio signal from another source (let's say my MicroBrute for sake of argument), plug that in to the Total jack, turn up the appropriate knob to modulate the LPF, and I can faintly hear the other sound source. It responds to that source's pitch changes, everything -- it's really a quiet copy of that source.

Turning the filter knob up (but holding the peak at 0) doesn't change the sound much, although it does buzz more when I get high up. I get the same sort of thing when I modulate the cutoff of my Moogerfooger LPF.

What is happening here? Is the audio just bleeding through to the VCA? I was thinking it was the background hiss that was being modulated but turning up a noise oscillator doesn't modulate that.

e: same thing with the Microbrute but not audible until the cutoff is up about halfway.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 14, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just what the hell is the resulting voltage of instrument level anyway.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

pfs Write posted:

i'm not familiar with the ensemble on the polysix (really want to try one sometime though) but this is a decent chorus and i'm glad the demo actually uses a synth with a nice patch. too many pedal demos are just poo poo blues guitar that don't really give me an idea how it would sound with synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2A0ord8obo

Discontinued, sadly :/

Got a feeling I'm gonna end up getting the Cluster Flux anyway tbh. May as well complete the set! :haw:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My Novation Impulse 61 seems to tick all your boxes. It has MIDI but it is USB powered -- but even a little iPhone charging cube is good enough to give it juice.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Don't buy a Minibrute. I'm getting one next week because Arturia's knocking a hundred off the price until the end of next month and I gotta make sure they don't run out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think it's supposed to be out around the same time as overbridge.

Is the sequencer supposed to be able to do ratcheting btw?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a U.S. Distributor for the Tinysizer apart from Analogue Haven? Their markup is a good $500 on what's currently a $1400 product. It'd be cheaper to order direct from Germany and have the guy UPS it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
RYTM isn't supported yet, AU isn't supported yet and the site is hammered so welp.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You've probably all heard by now but the MS-20 mini got a price drop down to $449 in the US.

What a goddamned steal. I mean even if you totally ignore the fact that it's, you know, a synth, you get all sorts of fun poo poo to throw at modular gear. Envelope, LFO, track & hold, the signal processor, filters...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nope, just the analog gear for whatever reason.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just can't fuckin' believe they released a device that uses Compact Flash in TYOOL 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apparently the CF spec has a much faster read speed than SD used to have -- only recently has SD been able to catch up.