Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm allergic to youtubers who put on a goofy expression for the thumbnail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently the Microfreak is getting a firmware update later this month that will add sampling and granular synthesis. This thing is ridiculous.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak/update

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's all just a way for Big Desk to further insinuate themselves into our lives.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Microfreak

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Coolest one that fits your budget is Microfreak.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Uli wanted a Subharmonicon but couldn't a afford one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That rules. How long until I can download a wavetable of my favorite flow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably if you show up with enough patch cables to do something interesting then you automatically qualify to operate it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been screwing around the VCV Rack, it is fun as hell.

I feel kind of bad every time I copy/paste or save-as and create another $10k worth of digital hardware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

Imagine if you could just copy-paste mults and cables and modules forever. You could do it with computer. Imagine some sort of digital synthesizer.

This would be cheating.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can understand them wanting to avoid having reviews that just focus on comparing the thing to whatever they copied instead of focusing on whether this product is something that you can use to make good music.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Four drummers XD

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's pretty bananas that randos like me can noodle around uselessly with stuff like this for free.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guess I'm ok with enabling other people's addiction to buying hardware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My new eurorack rig will be one (1) of those things with a couple of hardware controls and I/O modules. Walla!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always have to giggle a bit when hit copy & paste in VCV Rack and create would would be thousands of dollars worth of stuff in hardware.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I flip the power switch at audio rates and use it as a square wave.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it ever possible to buy used gear that doesn’t smell like an ashtray?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The sudden appearance of ancient cigarette smell is a good indicator that your synth is warmed up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Instead of sending back for replacement yet another NTS-1 with a busted-off headphone jack I am just going to solder in a 3.5 female replacement jack on an extension wire. It even comes with clearly-labeled spare solder points! It's like they knew these things were consumable.

Probably should reinforce the inputs jacks with some gobs of hot glue before they let go also.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 29, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

That's actually a good warning, perhaps I'll take the opportunity to make a case/control surface that feels a bit more more "pro".

Yeah this gadget is cool as hell but there is nothing holding most of it together except surface-mount solder joints.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Instead of sending back for replacement yet another NTS-1 with a busted-off headphone jack I am just going to solder in a 3.5 female replacement jack on an extension wire. It even comes with clearly-labeled spare solder points! It's like they knew these things were consumable.

Probably should reinforce the inputs jacks with some gobs of hot glue before they let go also.

Update: I tried soldering the headphone jack back on and that actually worked despite one of the leads looking like it had actually pulled the contact off of the board.

Then I encased every jack in thick ropey spurts of hot glue. If it breaks off again then we can go frankenstein on it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clearly you need to buy a CNC laser cutter and design your own stand.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is definitely the gadget that will finally get me to understand FM.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Am I going insane or was the MSRP on this thing $89 like a month ago?

No, it is usually around $300.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seriously, watch that video on the last page of Thread Favorite Benn demonstrating the ridiculous amount of stuff the arranger keyboard can do with minimal prep from the user beyond learning which presets are good. Pretty sure he even says something about the market for these things being a large number of working musicians who never intersect with the synthfluencer sphere.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 13, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You aren’t supposed to record, you are supposed to display the hardware tastefully.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a funny youtube.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From the "wow, such an amazing instrument!" -> (makes the worst sounds you ever heard) genre.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Keystep Pro keybed is ok. You definitely won't confuse it with something designed for Serious Keyboardists, but it will will be fine if you are trying to avoid having a fancy sequencer and a midi keyboard both taking up space at the same time. I've only really used it as a melodic sequencer though, not sure how easy it is to use the knobs for midi controls. Also it doesn't have any pad controls like most midi keyboards do.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 20, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I find the KSP sequencer fine for sketches and doing bloopy performative things; it's also totally fine for fairly long sequences that can be chained. The flipside is that an SQ64 is still like $100 and then that puts all your sequencing in one place and lets you worry about just getting a good keybed.

Please sell me a SQ64 for $100.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not every day you get to see a milkshake-ducking happen in real time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like synthesizers and I think they are fun to play.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Koala is still $20 right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Huh, I thought I remembered it being more than that. Hopefully people try that out before buying an upscaled KO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it just that it is a lot cheaper than any of the other popular sampler/sequencers?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just be extremely gentle with the headphone jack (and presumably the other jacks). The only thing holding it on are the five tiny surface mount solder points. After the jack broke on my second one I just soldered an extra headphone jack in the to the provided extra output points with proper strain relief.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did you lotion up? Your skin is part of the keyboard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

I suspect ambient humidity can cause issues. My 0ctrl is really sensitive to that. The drier the air, the worse it performs.
Fingers crossed for yah.

I remember reading something from a guy who called Arturia support with Microfreak keybed problems and they narrowed it down to him living under some high-voltage lines or a radio tower or something like that and were basically like "yeah that's a known problem, nothing we can do about unusual local EM fields, sorry".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Find someone with one of those RF hacking devices and see what kind hosed-up interference the case is putting out.