Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well all that poo poo has been possible in Plogue Bidule and Buzz for going on 15 years, but they've never been mainstream or user friendly enough for it to matter. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Everyone I know who has Omnisphere uses it as their default soundmaker. Everyone.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm.. $79 is indeed not a lot for a synth + 13 gb sample library. I've never used it, but the concept sounds a bit like Omnisphere's. The stuff they have on their site though, the examples etc.. mostly poo poo :( So I don't know

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, I'm kinda lukewarm on the Cakewalk stuff that I have—probably not going to get Rapture.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

minidracula posted:

Counterpoint: Z3TA+ 2 is pretty good. FWIW.

What do you like about it? I have it but I can't really get into it over the Massive/Sylenth combo that gives me flexibility and SUPERSAWS

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sylenth is really limited in comparison but it sounds just so buttery smooth and great, that's what made it so successful.

I guess I'll have another go at z3ta+2—I've had the first version forever but couldn't use it because of a weird bug where Live would instacrash if I hit the ctrl key while the z3ta+ GUI was open, and I picked up the new version for cheap in a sale, so it wasn't really a "I want this" purchase. I wouldn't say I made a real effort at exploration, although I skipped through all the presets at least once. Perhaps it's time to really check it out and do a little sound design with it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
btw http://www.audiodamage.com/ have a 25% off sale atm

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
What the gently caress why did you trick me into listening to Aphex Twin. Not cool.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
What's the valuable lesson btw?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Granbar posted:

No one itt would hear the difference between Audiorealism Bassline and a real 303.

Now watch a dozen morons proclaiming they can tell the difference from the distortion patterns, aliasing, drift behavior and a dozen other made-up features.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837&pagenumber=80&perpage=40

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This is probably my favourite use of that synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BFJJPF1Xk

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yall know of a program similar to the akaizer that can run inside of a DAW? I've been using the akaizer so much but it's just so tedious and the programmer has no intention of making it into a plug-in :/

You can do that with the "beats" mode in Live, but if you're not using Live, I don't know :)

edit: perhaps a grain effect would be worth a try?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

sliderule posted:

I can't get over how cool Karplus Strong string synthesis is.

Now the Patchblock does a great Shamisen impression.

e: Oh jesus that screenshot. Goddamnit retina.

That's comb filter fuckery, isn't it?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I had a blast installing Kontakt 4 the other day. One of the ISOs on the Native Instruments site is corrupt. That was a lot of fun finding disc D

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That's not very sporting

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Spoiler: there aren't that many good ones.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Yellow King posted:

After spending a few afternoons messing around at SchneidersLaden, it looks like this will be my first modular:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/198029

If you ever happen to be in Berlin, definitely go check that place out. Of course, there's a waiting list for a lot of this stuff, so it'll be a couple of months before everything is in place. I cannot loving wait.

I live in Berlin, but I have no interest in hardware synths :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Check it guys, a Furthrrrr for sale http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/for-sale-endorphin-es-furthrrrr-generator-eurorack-vco/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

minidracula posted:

Well guys, it finally happened. It was inevitable I suppose. A question of when, not if. I bought a Voyager today. Pictures forthcoming. In the meantime, please tell me how stupid this was.
drat you got a Chrysler on purpose??

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Timing is completely up to you, and if you're putting your notes on the grid it'll be as tight as is possible. In fact, most people find it harder to make a sequencer sound like drums being played live.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Ah! Can't help you there, then :) Perhaps only by suggesting to try it at a higher sample rate and see if that changes things, and also to write to disk and compare jitter times there with the ones from the line out.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Don't do drugs, stay in school, avoid external gear.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There's a free Roland JV2080 sample pack from Legowelt on his (amazing!) homepage: http://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 13, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
How much to just burn it

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I know I'm sounding like a broken record here (at least vinyl's cool again!), but I strongly advise against buying M-Audio. Some of their hardware is poo poo, and their drivers suck balls, and the worst of all is, their support is abysmal, they're apparently just bad people? Anyway that's been "don't buy M-Audio", episode 14, I'm your host wayfinder, see you next time I see someone considering getting M-Audio gear.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Would be funny if the use of male pronouns throughout that release were a comment on the sausage fest that's electronic music production, but it's probably just a case of "written by Germans"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

send all the mexicans to a lopez filter, imo.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I got to play around with a friend's (very nice) modular yesterday and it confirmed to me that I can live happily without having one of my own at home. As interesting as the whole thing sounds at first glance, after spending some time with it I can say that I have 0 desire to get into it. So my retirement funds are safe!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Also they're still pretty noodly ;)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I've got my samples stored on disk by source (self made, CD, pack, rip, etc, keeping it as close to the original distribution as possible), and then a shadow structure with symbolic links that collects stuff into rough buckets by type of sound (and also does a bit of quality control by, for example, only collecting kicks from packs that have good kicks)

edit: this has hosed me because Live 9 does not display symbolic links in its file browser any more, so I stick with 8

Projects, each one gets its own folder and I always collect all necessary files into that.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Check your spam folders for a ValhallaDSP survey. They're giving out some new plugin once you submit it. Takes less than 5 minutes - although the site is wrecked at the moment.

No kidding... I had to reset my PW and it took about half an hour. But I have the plugin now, so yay!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Massive definitely does it. There's a (yellow) mod source of the note value, lower right quadrant

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah that's Tremolo

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it's a scam. They want you to email them and buy it off-Amazon. The gear doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's an interesting exhibition on in Berlin about the history of electronic instruments. They made it interactive as well - mostly they set up a few apps, but there was also stuff like a digital mellotron. I got to try a Push, which was neat, and a maschine, which might as well have been a nuclear plant control panel for all I could figure out what anything did. Interesting stuff and if you're quick you can grab a Linndrum and leg it through the emergency exit.

Where is it? I went to Superbooth and it was meh (since I'm not a fan of modulars)