Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Your Computer posted:

The OP-1 seems neat and all, but I think the biggest negative thing to be said about it is the price. As far as I can see, it's not that expensive because it's a technical marvel, it's that expensive because it's halfway between a synth and a fashion accessory kinda like a lot of Apple products. In other words, a neat toy for rich hipsters.

I think everyone who doesn't really get the appeal of one should find a store and at least try it out. The appeal is really apparent when you're actually using it and the workflow is really nice for getting something down fast instead of loving around with a DAW for hours. I even use it on the train during my commute and it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad the atmegatron is sold out, I almost impulse bought it after seeing one demo of it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bare minimum would be just an oscillator

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of gear recommendations for modular, I'm also looking for a good general purpose (i.e. less crazy than the Echophon) delay or reverb options. I'm thinking pedals or a standalone unit, since I'd use it in the studio even when I'm not loving around with my modular. Are guitar pedals still a decent choice for synths? Should I be looking somewhere else?

I like the catalinbread belle epoch or echorec depending you want something weird or more traditional. I also am waiting for my ct5 preorder to come.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Most of the time the knob is a pot connected directly to the pcb so if you want true analog with motorized knobs it would require making custom hardware which is out of reach for a lot of synth makers.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I soldered that scope as a first soldering project and never got it to work. The kit was cheap enough I might buy another some day and try again.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Get him an op-1 with a strap

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I love the op1 but I think anyone interested should definitely try it out in person

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Has anyone heard a release date for korg gadget on switch?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cuckoo has a volca drum video up so he’s probably still working on the modular video

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oldstench posted:

That's Émilie Gillet - she is Mutable Instruments.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

synthesizers are expensive and of limited use is a pretty weird take for this thread

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Do you need them to be actual keys? I love the kmi stuff

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Perfect Circuit had the Tape and Microsound Music Machine in stock today so I lit some money on fire today.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Microkorg’s default mic is one of those tiny ones like on a headset, you can get the oem one for $30 and it fits into the slot on the back

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

My tape and microsound music machine came today but the xoh is only giving me one channel, I opened it up and uh

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://www.futur3soundz.com/xfm2

First google result

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I listened to Discovery yesterday for the first time in a long while, on some streaming service. It sounded really weird to me. I think I got used to the early-2000s-era MP3 encodes that I downloaded in high school and listened to for decades, and now the high fidelity version sounds bizarre.

A lot of the songs from human after all sound weird to me after seeing them live in 2007 because I’m expecting the other parts to come in.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There’s a ton of diy modular plans all the way up to full kits so buy a soldering iron and get on it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

this owns

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm getting a soldering iron for christmas. Can this tread recommend a kit?
Someone in the electronics thread recommended an Ataripunk console, but the one on amazon looks like iffy quality, planning to choose my own parts. Also reading hackaday. Wanted an arduino, I know Arduinoboy is a project to get midi on the gameboy, but I'm still waiting to do that.
My little project right now will be to make led go blink, and to put together an AM radio.
this is a step by step guide to get into building modules
https://aisynthesis.com/how-to-get-started-in-synth-diy/

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

making bad ambient with my two thousand dollar tape deck

https://twitter.com/notallramen/status/1341157532702633985

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I posted a while back about how I got the tape and microsound music machine but the output module came broken. Make Noise customer support is so good that they sent me a replacement a second time after I mistakenly mailed back the replacement instead of the broken one.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mackie’s apparently got a brand new line of multitrack USB analog mixers called ONYX, I imagine those and things like those will be the new standard. Like the Soundcraft, etc they’re aimed squarely at bedroom producers+content creators and they’ve got stuff like SD/USB recording, Bluetooth channels, etc.

I had a FireWire one called onyx like a decade ago

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It kind of looks like a bunch of controller sensors, like the activation one looked like it might be a light or proximity sensor. I wanted an instruo scion but they’re way too expensive, so I’m hoping it’s something along the lines of the koma field kits.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

If I put on selected ambient works the zoomers at work call it yoga music >:I

lmao

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I liked my microbrute okay but I hated the filter so I never used it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

W424 posted:

I got mine for cv/gate and neither worked. Gates wouldnt trigger my envelopes and cv wasn’t nowhere near calibrated (IIRC user calibration was not recommended, would change tuning when you removed the screwdriver etc). Synth itself just sounded meh.

Weird because aren’t their sequencer controllers wildly popular?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

micro usb is the worst, seriously. i dread the day the one in my keystep will snap

Love a port that feels like I inserted it backwards even when I do it correctly

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i wonder how many times anyone has ever said the name out loud in conversation

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Found the name change discussion thread and it’s as good as you would expect

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Startyde posted:

The fact it's so much better than VSE or GS but still full of clowns is real lovely. I hate that the bar is so low in the hobby.

It’s probably only slightly better because it’s a hobby that has a very high number of trans women.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my first op-1

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Aren’t they the exact same circuits?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Not sure why I thought that. I somehow got the impression from the marketing that they were the same, which is probably intentional.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Banning discussion of politics is inherently conservative

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Op-1 is the only piece of gear I regret selling

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Seven years wasn’t enough time?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

that was literally the big feature they were advertising, they sold the program while it was still in beta with the promise that it would be in 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Honestly if you’re looking for an electronic piano and not a synthesizer this thread is only tangentially related to those instruments