Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
This is more of a sampler question but I figure you fine folks would be the ones to ask:

After many years of DJing (mostly on vinyl) and making music on the PC (Mostly with Reason, but I started on the old old version of Fruity Loops way back in the late 90's), I've splurged a little and bought myself a little hardware studio. I have an Electribe 2 Sampler as the main sequencer driving my old Electribe ES1 sampler ( that I bought when it was new) and the Behringer TB-303 clone. I am using my Traktor S4 4-channel DJ mixer to mix everything and as the audio / midi interface to my PC. The kind of music I am into making is old 90's style techno, and I am having a ton of fun and feeling a lot more successful getting the sound I want with only having to touch the computer minimally. The one thing really missing from the setup though, is a way to use sampled loops the way I want to.

What I am looking for is something (hardware prefered, but I'll use a software sampler if it's a good one) that I can load up loops (mostly percussion, I'm thinking) that can be triggered by MIDI notes from the Electribe and that will automatically adjust the sample's BPM to match the BPM of the master clock that is playing. I don't really care what method it uses to do the adjustment, and a simple pitch change would be fine (that's the way we beatmatch when DJing, I don't mind that it will change the pitch of the sample this way), but a timestretch algorithm that changes BPM while preserving pitch works for me also, as long as it is real-time, and I don't have to manually set the new bpm in the individual sample's setting. I'm looking at the old BOSS SP-505 boxes, as there are some available on EBAY and looking through the manual it _seems_ like it will do this, but I'm not sure.

I can trigger the samplers in Reason on my PC via MIDI no problem, but there is no reason instrument (as far as I know) that will automatically pitch a phrase sample to match the current clock BPM, so I have to manually edit all the phrase samples to be one specific BPM and then if I decide to change the main BPM of the song, or use the samples in a song of a different BPM, I have to make copies of the samples at the new BPM.

There are lots of solutions that will chop up the phrase into slices and then use a MIDI phrase to trigger the slices with the correct timing (The Electribe 2 kind of does this natively, and the Dr Octo Rex player in Reason does it) but I am looking more for something where I can trigger the phrase with one single MIDI note event, rather than having to program some specific pattern in.

The ideal machine would let me for load up a .wav phrase that I set to be triggered by Note C3 on MIDI channel 8(just to pick a note and channel for an example), and if the original phrase is 124 bpm and the master clock is 133 bpm, it will pitch it up by 7.25% automatically. Hardware ideally, but I'll take a software solution if it's cheap!

For reference, here is the kind of stuff I am looking at ripping off making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkPsW8zH-IE

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

JamesKPolk posted:

I think Reason is particularly bad at that as far as DAWs go but that's something that Ableton does effortlessly (was its claim to fame for a while), and Logic handles pretty well via stretching audio clips (rather than triggering samples from a sampler instrument, but the result is basically the same).

In general for legacy workflow reasons most samplers shy away from that functionality - the SP-1200, MPC, and things inheriting from them are "pick a BPM, pitch rhythmic samples to be in line like beatmatching, go from there" and its just how most people approach it.

I think the Octatrack was one of the first things to kind of explicitly not do that and allow the stretch to bpm feature, and I wanna say the Pioneer Toraiz series things also do - but you're in 1k flagship range.

No idea about the Roland things, they're a blind spot for me.

e: not the op-1, nvm!

Thanks,

I know the answer to what I'm looking for is basically: "Get Ableton + a controller" but I'm trying to avoid that, probably out of pure contrarianism. I should look up stuff explaining how they did stuff in the trackers + akai sampler days, especially from the early drum + bass guys. They probably ran into the same questions I've got and came up with techniques.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Martytoof posted:

I’m looking for a compact or subcompact MIDI keyboard controller but I specifically need it to have the following characteristics:

- MIDI Channel display clearly visible and selectable
- As few unnecessary control surfaces as possible. I don’t want pads. I don’t want knobs. I just want keys.
- The standard keyboard stuff — octave -/+, pitch/bend

I feel like this exists and I’ve seen it, but I can’t really remember what it was.

For sure I can always get a more feature packed keyboard with pads and knobs and just not use them but I guess I’m trying for a setup where each piece of equipment does a specific thing and nothing more. I have a pad controller in the form of my MPC already, any knobs would be on the devices this mythical keyboard is controlling via MIDI, so I really just want one central place to play a small keyboard and route that to wherever I need via MIDI channels. If I can avoid a more feature packed controller I would prefer that.

I kind of accidentally stumbled into a solution for this: I pulled out my old Edirol / Roland PCR-300 controller keyboard and have found that Roland never made a windows 10 driver for it, so it wasn't working. However, in the system settings you can put it into 'basic driver mode' in which case windows will notice it and install a generic driver. The keys work but as far as I can tell the knobs / buttons / sliders do not. What does work, though, is the big selector knob that changes the MIDI channel and outputs it on a nice little LCD screen on the keyboard itself. Almost exactly what you are looking for.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It just sucks that the solution is to spend my way out of it. :homebrew:

Sounds like the module is working exactly as designed.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I would like to add a new hardware mixer to my production setup. Currently I am running a Roland MC707, a TD3 and my old Korg ES-1 into the line inputs of my 4 channel NI Traktor4 DJ mixer. It works fine the way it is, each of the 4 rca line inputs of the mixer (two channels with left / right) can be routed to their own channel, so I can get the Mono TD3 and ES-1 into their own channel, and then run the 707 stereo or assign it's internal sounds to individual outs and split it between the two remaining channels. I can then run all the channels through the decent software FX / EQ / Filters in Traktor, sample loops on the fly, mix in with other songs from my library (I have traktor synced to the master clock from the 707) etc. I'm also very familiar with the ergonomics of the Traktor mixer and can do all the hand movements to mix live and on the fly with little thought.

The problems with this set up are:
1) not enough channels - With just the 4, I'm already nearly maxed out. If I want to add another synth (I DO!) or I want to start routing the sounds from the 707 to it's multiple outputs (it has 4 outs) so I can EQ/Effect different sounds on the fly (this is kind of redundant with what I can already do inside the 707 itself, but...) I'm stuck. It also means that I can't leave my turntables plugged into the Traktor mixer, and have to swap the cables when I want to do a vinyl mix or whatever.

2) requires the computer to be on / traktor software running. - not a huge deal but It would be nice to just flip a switch and start jamming when I want to just do hardware stuff.

3) Kind of takes up a lot of space -

I think I want to get some kind of affordable ($200 range?) mixer to run all my gear through that has:
1) at least 8 individual Mono channels
2) linear volume faders rather than pots.
3) EQ on all channels
4) FX send / return bus(ses)

Nice onboard FX and USB capabilities (So I can record each channel into separate tracks on the computer if I want) would be nice but are not deal-breakers.

I had an old Behringer 1202 years ago that would mostly fit the bill, but I loaned it out to someone somewhere down the line and can't find it anymore.

Any ideas?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

Im still not gonna buy behringer products lol

not cause I dont like the company though, I really hate their products

Counterpoint: The TD-3 is cheap and rules.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

I would take one used lol. I have a bunch of other 303s already

There was an interview with the guys from Hardfloor way back in the day which was like:

Hardfloor: "We don't want people to think we're just a 303 act, we can make varied kinds of techno..."
Interviewer: "Interesting. How many 303s do you have?"
Hardfloor: "Six..."

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Laserjet 4P posted:

a highly stylized goatman (rear)

god dammit, now that's going to creep into my mind every time I pull one of those records out.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

The Voice of Labor posted:

you can also get a copy of soundforge and just roll with that. it's like a single (or stereo) track reel to reel. it's like $40 when humblebundle does a sale, you'll want an audio editor anyway and it's processing routings (at least one of which I use on everything and haven't really found an equivalent to) can be brought into a daw as vsts.

take it with a grain of salt, but the only time I was ever productive was doing everything on a groovebox. wrangling hardware can be a nightmare. a groovebox keeps everything in the same device while also avoiding the "it's a computer" problems of distraction, software/drm/stability hassles and choice paralysis.

unfortunately grooveboxes have been kinda obsoleted by daws, yamaha rm1xs and rs7000s, which are my prefered things, are stupidly expensive now, elektron still makes some stuff but it's boutique, I think the novation circuit is the only other thing that really grooveboxes and I can't speak on it

I had an RM1x years ago, really regret letting it go. I’ve got the Roland MC707 now and it rips. The MC101 is the same hardware and os as the 707 but in a smaller box with fewer controls and only 4 tracks, but it’s about 1/3 the price.

Also, could be just excitement, but I’ve made more and better music in two months with my 707+ TD03 than I did in the previous 15 years messing with reason/ableton

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

chaosbreather posted:

I like the nords a bunch but they just seem like high end digital pianos without a lot of scope for actual sound design? They’re also pretty difficult to find in a store

It doesn’t seem like you’re in any way short on sound design capabilities with the rest of the gear. Maybe the e piano can just be a really good e-piano (and controller)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

the model samples probably needs a program change message to switch patterns programmatically. so check if the drumbrute song mode transmits program changes

Model:Samples manual says this is correct. You have to turn the receiving of Program Change messages to ON, and you can select what MIDI channel to listen on. I don't know what PC# cooresponds to which Pattern but I assume it's PC0 = Pattern A1 PC1 = A2 and so on...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

A MIRACLE posted:

should I get an electribe to go with this circuit rhythm

I had an Electribe 2S (the sampler version, has a cut-down version of the 'synth' engine from the regular 2 also) and was pretty underwhelmed and sold it. It has kind of clunky synth signal flow (the envelopes, particularly were mystifying for me to figure out), and transitioning between patterns is kind of slow, and it also doesn't preserve track mute states between patterns. Made it kind of difficult for me to use how I want. (I basically make 90's style techno, where muting/unmuting drum trackis is about 90% of the trick)

I still have my original Electribe S (the green sampler version) I bought 15 years ago and use it in my productions (has a nice simple interface and interesting sound character, good as a secondary sample player to tweak live synced to my main gear)

My main box now is the Roland MC-707, which I picked up used for $600.00 and does everything I want it to. Especially with the latest (1.70 I think) software upgrade.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ricecult posted:

but I did want to point out that you can save track mutes to a pattern, absolutely.

Oh yeah I understand that, I guess I didn't explain exactly what I meant. For example: Imagine you have 2 patterns, A, and B with a kick drum on track 1, and it is state is unmuted in all four patterns. If you're playing Pattern A, mute track 1 and then switch to pattern B, track 1 will now be un-muted (as that was what it's state was when saved). Now switch back to pattern A and it will remain un-muted (because you're re-loading the saved mute-state of pattern A). I guess you could save patterns on the fly as you play, but that wouldn't solve the problem of having the mute state of the NEXT pattern you intend to play match up with the one that you're currently playing, and I also seem to remember that it would sometimes hesitate if you tried to save a pattern on the fly while playing. That one in particluar bothered me a bunch.

It is a very nice little machine though, especially if you can get it for sub $300, and I really liked being able to run it off of batteries (had some fun jam sessions off the grid with it) but it was a little redundant once I got the MC707.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cheese Thief posted:

I was cruising around with my Octatrack in the passenger seat and a deer jumped out in my way, so I slammed the breaks and the octa went flying through a case of bottled water on the passenger foot space. Now there's a big crack in the screen, but it's still usable.

Were you trying to recreate this classic video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ejhxsr7Zi8

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm using the sideways 2x4 kallax and, man, it's the definition of "narrow workspace" lol

It's perfect for the dj booth setup (2 turntables + mixer (in my case, traktor S4 deck)) but yeah, narrow for anything else. I was designing my own workbench for the garage and was considering making it 30" deep (to fit the space) but everything I've read says to keep it at 24" deep so that everything is within arm's lenght without having to bend at the waist to reach the rear of the table, which sounds like a very good idea.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Is there a good site(s) for current synth/hardware/software news? Are any other forums worth checking out?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Rolo posted:

, OP-1 for sampling and tape recording:

Something I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is the "tape recording" on the OP-1 actually onto a physical magnetic tape, or is it just a cute way of saying 'digitally recorded'?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

JamesKPolk posted:

John Frusciante's personal studio. What does he know that we don't???

Always leave room on your mixing console to hold a drink

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

petit choux posted:

I've been missing a good sampler device for a long time. I want a simple machine I can map a different sample to each note on a keyboard, no computer, preferably high quality audio. What are my cheapest and most straightforward options? Any good DIY kits?

ED: I think I'm bound to get a SP-404 of some sort eventually.

And secondly, I've been long searching for a MIDI controlled audio switcher, which I'd try to use for making beats probably. Anybody know of good hardware option for one of those?

Roland Mc101 (if you want to be cheap and use external control surfaces) MC707 (also a mixer!) can do this in a way. You can make a drum track and then put a different sample on each of the 16 pads, all of which are mapped to midi notes and can be triggered by an external keyboard. You could use two tracks if you want more than 16 sounds, and I think you could set the midi recieve channel on both tracks to the same channel so you could span more notes.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 303s I’ve been playing with my TD-3 and lmao how did anyone in the 80s tolerate this so-called sequencer.

half of the acid 'hits' were made by just pulling the batteries out and getting a random sequence until something sounded cool.

also music equipment may have been more unwieldy in the 80's/90's but better economic conditions and a much more generous welfare state (especially in the UK) meant people had more time to gently caress around with music/art. I think it's no surprise that the huge flowering of music culture in the UK coincides with the 80's era of idle yet decently economically stable youth. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I had a kind of depressing gear come-up yesterday. A guy was selling a bunch of gear on the local craigslist, mostly the Behringer x0x clones, and a Model:Cycles, which I was interested in. I haggled him down from his asking price of $550 for the RD9 (909 clone) + Model:Cycles combo to $475. He accepted my offer on the condition of paying in cash. He had me meet him in a WalMart parking lot in town (I've never actually been in a WalMart before) and when I got there he was a dude in his late 40's/early 50's (like me!) in a beat up honda accord that he was living in. The machines were in the original boxes and packaging, and the RD9 had never even been taken out of the original plastic bag. I asked him where he got them, and he told me all about his dealings with perfect circuit and sweetwater, and he knew about the supply chain issues with the RD9, so he seemed legit. I felt bad so I gave him the full $500 in cash that I had and drove away only a little worried that I had bought empty cases. Got home and plugged them in and they are both completely new un-used units and work perfectly. Sorry for your hard times dude but thanks for the gear.

If anybody is in San Diego, he's still got the RD-8, TD-3, and 2600 clones for sale, basically new-in-box, just check out the Craigslist.

Also: Is anybody using a power-bank to power the Elektron stuff? The model:cycles is small enough and feature-rich enough that I'd like to take it to toy around with off-grid.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I dug my RM1x (that I bought new the year it came out) out of storage at my parents’ house and while rad, I can’t really find a good use for it in my setup. Most of the onboard sounds still suck, too.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

CatBlack posted:

I don't know why i have a thing for huge stupid drum machines but I have an RD-9 coming. It was slightly on sale on sweetwater and I could not resist.

The RD9 shreds so much. I turn it on every night and pretend I'm Jeff Mills. It's really great as a hands-on instrument. Throw it through some noisy compression and it really sounds heavy too. I love it so much.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I have a raspberry PI3 and a PiSound hat sitting in my drawer looking for a synth project. Any cool ideas I should check out? I'm probably going to start with the standard PiSound patchbox OS install and maybe set it up as a fancy multi-FX box for my setup, but I'd really like some kind of phrase sample player setup (like a bootleg SP-202 or whatever).

Alternatively, a dexed box.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Spiggy posted:

I finally bought a Beatstep Pro after mucking around on VCV Rack for a few months, and having something physical helps the workflow so much. Now I've got a collection of 303-ish style bass lines and some drums that I'm happy with but dammit they're all missing something and nothing I add sounds good music is hard

Overall I would definitely recommend.

I was in a similar spot of having a bunch of half-done stuff that couldn’t get over the finish line and feeling frustrated as hell. I just ended up making rough live mixes of everything and then forgetting about them for a few weeks. Yesterday I was messing around doing a DJ mix and threw my demos in and they all sounded great again, like I was hearing them with new ears, especially in the context of other material I was trying to ‘emulate’.

Taking a step back and letting your ears and perceptions refresh can be important.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

petit choux posted:

For the longest time I wanted to do more fun stuff with bicycle wheels. Like use a wheel for a ground and put a contact against the spokes as it's spinning, and the arrangement of spokes and so forth.

One of the best ways to get equal tension on a wheel’s spokes when you hand build your own is to have the wheel be plucked by something connected to a guitar tuner. Then you can adjust a ll the spokes to the same pitch and they’ll be in equal tension

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Someone do this:

https://twitter.com/starakaj/status/1668969345689477121?s=20

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I just sold my RM1x (that I bought new the year it came out). It is cool, but new boxes do a lot of things much better and can play nice with modern equipment. It was really redundant to my Roland MC707.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Does the Tracker / Tracker Mini work nice as a midi instrument? I like the way sample editing/chopping looks on the tracker but already have ways of sequencing that I like. Does it trigger nice from external gear?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

the syntakt is a more specialized unit that costs almost 50% more. not to say that the syntakt is a bad unit not worth buying, i very much want one but as far a general use grooveboxes go a digitakt will take you about as far as you can want to go

How good is the digitakt at sequencing chromatic tracks? I had it in my head it was mostly a drum machine/sampler, but my model:cycles sequences melodic stuff just fine so I suppose it’s ok?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

"the synthesizer version of Glenn Greenwald."

That’s Alex Jones

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

BonoMan posted:

TE released some K.O. II merch.

I looked at the trucker hat and it's like $15. I was like "wow that's actually cheap! Wonder what the hoodie is?"

$130. Wtf? Pick a lane TE!

At least it’s not that Roland 808 puffer jacket expensive.

I think it would be really funny if someone made a knock-off version of that but made it say Behringer.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I want to add a controller with a bunch of pads to my rig, specifically to send midi PC change messages to my MC707 to change clips. The Launchpad Mini would do the trick, but there is only USB midi output and I’d need a midi host box to use it. Amazon has some no-name Chinese pad controllers with a midi out (trs, but whatever) that seem like they’re programmable to do what I want. Anybody use one of those?

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 20, 2023

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ like this?

I've used this exact one. It's not programmable, and I don't think it needs to be because it's just passing whatever MIDI data goes through it from the device to TRS. I can't remember if I ever sent PC data this way specifically and I know in some device-specific cases there can be fuckiness around PC but I think that's more just "some devices don't respond to PC or send it as you'd expect", nothing to do with the actual traffic.

So, yea, it works fine, I've used this to use a Beatstep to control a 0coast over midi or kiddo's blipblox or whatever.

Ah what I wrote was ambiguous, I mean the noname pad controllers, like this one:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-ControlPad64-MIDI-Pad-Controller/2YEH

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Recorded a jam for Xmas eve. Drums and samples from the MC707, chord sounds are from the model:cycles run through the filter on the TD-3, pattern sequenced. Recorded live in one take

https://on.soundcloud.com/ja4kb5twt2E4aCQPA

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Y cables do not work that way.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

, if you rectify a sine wave it ends up looking like an upside down m.

Also known as a w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

watho posted:

i've gotta say tho, the TB3 getting a lukewarm to negative response when it launched and then eventually getting a cult following and becoming way too expensive on the used market is extremely funny

It’s poetry, it rhymes.