Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I really like using my Line6 M5 pedal. It's very flexible and has some cool effects. It might be worth it to go for an M9 or M13 if you want multiple effects on at once. M13's can be found used for fairly cheap. I quite like the low res delay and the fuzz face settings and the envelope filters can be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I just got an e-mail that my preordered Akai Rhythm Wolf shipped! I just checked Akai's website and a user guide is up. It does't document MIDI or other technical things, but it shows the general stuff. I have to admit that I like the documentation (as limited as this is) much better than Korg's...but that's not hard to beat.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I just got my Rhythm Wolf a few days ago and the bass synth plays out of tune with itself so it's basically useless. I was initially underwhelmed with the drums, but they've grown on me. The pads feel great and I found the sequencer to be lots of fun. I have to send it back to Sweetwater because of the out of tune bass unless there's a way to make it work from home.

Edit: here's a video detailing how out of tune the bass synth is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczWloosYug

Rifter17 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 20, 2014

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Just to throw it out there NASA threw ~60 different sound samples up on Soundcloud. They're all available for download!

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

khysanth posted:

This isn't strictly synthy but I'm in the market for a looper, mostly for vocals. Been looking at the Boss RC-300 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it or other loopers.

I've searched high and low for a good looper. I've ended up using a computer with Ableton though (specifically their looper effect). I wanted to loop guitar and bass, so I wanted hands free operation (and I have a ground control pro) and a midi in for tempo sync. Before Ableton I was using an EHX 45000, but it doesn't allow for multiple length loops. But it allows for quick level adjustments, midi implementation, and worked pretty well.

Think about what you really need in a looper. If you don't need foot control and are thinking of loops under 4 bars consider the kaosspad 3. Pigtronix also has a looper that plays well with loops of different lengths.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Tayter Swift posted:

Is there a guitar pedal or something that just outputs an ASDR envelope in response to a trigger? I'd like one to tie into my Moogerfooger I think the Dreadbox Epsilon would be what I'm looking for but none of the US distributors have it in stock so at this rate the only solution I see is a second Microbrute...

Would something like this work? http://www.pigtronix.com/products/philosopher-king/

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Max/MSP has a monthly subscription thing I've thought of trying out, though I'm probably not ready to switch over from Pure Data yet. Although I imagine there's a lot more documentation and community around Max/MSP than Pure Data, which is one of the slightly frustrating things I've found with it.

Is there a Pure Data thread or discussion on these forums? I've been itching to learn Max/MSP, but Pure Data is free....

I've been watching Miller Puckett's videos on YouTube where he teaches an undergrad course and I found another series of tutorials that are pretty good. But everything is about 6 or 7 years old.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
It just seems like with all of the interest in modular gear and having no fixed architecture that Pure Data would be more popular than ever. For those who don't know, this guy made a virtual patching system that is designed to run at audio rates for music creation. It's free and an alternate version of it evolved into Max/MSP that is bundled with Ableton. So it's capable of signal creation or signal processing. It also runs on most computers.

The hard part is making it into an instrument that is dynamic. Maybe that's what people don't like is that there's no way to just open a blank canvas and it having the immediacy of other instruments.

I also nabbed a raspberry pi and a sound card for it. I was playing around with the idea of installing it on a guitar and playing with the signal as an on-board effect.

As a beginner patch, I set myself the task of emulating my Volca Keys with a similar interface. I'm still very far off from it's working, but then I figure that I can make components into sub patches where I can then just dump the LFO into another patch or something.

And maybe the VST thread might be more appropriate?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I don't understand any of this, but here is Google's AI synth.

Apparently one can make it out of a Raspberry Pi?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

dexefiend posted:

I need to stop reading this thread. I just came across the Deluge.

I am not going to help. I just bought a Deluge and I really do enjoy it. It is a lot of fun to just take and run it off the battery and built in speaker. It is pretty easy to get an idea out and treat it like a self-contained instrument. The down side to it is that there are some odd shortcuts that aren't too intuitive (like you hold shift and turn the left/right knob to change the velocity).

I have it set up to sequence my Korg Volcas (Keys, Bass, and Beats), Novation Ultranova, and Rhythm Wolf (got it for $50 on Craigslist!). The Deluge let me make a kit that combines the MIDI signals for the Volca Beats and Rhythm Wolf so I can sequence them as a big drum machine.

For folks who have sequencers, how does everyone plug everything in to sequence their synths? My Volcas all need MIDI DIN cables, my Ultranova isn't USB class compliant so I need a MIDI DIN cable for it, and the Rhythm Wolf can run off of USB or MIDI DIN. I found an old DMC MX-8 MIDI patch bay, but its only 6-in, 6-out. Also I set up a Raspberry Pi I had laying around as a MIDI USB host. Do people just plug things in and out as they go?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Yeah, the Ultranova requires drivers to function via USB. I actually did just find some drivers for Linux that I haven't messed around with yet (I just don't know enough about Linux and programming, so it's a little laborious to figure out). I hope they're midi drivers and not the audio interface stuff.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Here comes one of those really lovely gear requests where I want everything at once at low cost:

I'm looking at a way of doing synth live where im with a live drummer and layering up simple played loops and possibly playing keys over that so im loooking for multiple midi inputs (or 1 midi 1 usb) so I could have keys/foot pedals/triggers. So in that it would need to be poly and multi timbre.

I think the best options I've seen are:
- Sunvox or similar on a raspberry pi with some sort of step hardware sequencer box going into it,
- Having a bunch of synths into a hardware sequencer
- Using a guitar loop pedal?

I've had a poke around with cabbage audio/and supercollider and it seems like they could possibly do the trick if I have multiple code bases running, I didn't really get all that far into it but I think I'll have to delve deeper into supercollider.

Anyways any advice/insults/directions to look in would be much appreciated.

Are you going to be recording the loops live and if so will it be a guitar or other synths? Will these loops be previously sampled and just played? Or will these loops just be looped midi sequences?

I haven't had much luck playing around with SunVox and getting to act like a multitimbral synth, also I can't get into the tracker sequencer part of it either. That said there is some dude on youtube who made a big console looking thing based on SunVox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9WZxLQ42uY).

I have no experience with Cabbage Audio or Supercollider, but looking at them they're kind of similar to PureData. If I'm understanding them correctly so PureData might be worth checking out.

The hardest part of this whole thing is coming up with an interface that would work in a live situation. I broke down and bought a Synthstrom Deluge, but that's ~$900 US. Another alternative is the Novation Circuit, which is much cheaper (~$200 used, ~$350 new).

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Wouldn't it be easier to use a powered USB hub? Maybe run the audio interface from one port and plug the hub into the second with the launchpad and keyboard running through that.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Unless posted:

Is there any weight to MIDI being inferior to CV?

MIDI is is old, old beast. But you can do things like send program changes, change control values, and send note information all through a single cable.

The downside is that the resolution isn't that great (128 steps). So I believe that you'll start hearing the discreet steps in certain situation (e.g., sweeping the filter with resonance cranked).

OSC was supposed to be the new hot thing to replace MIDI, but I don't know how it currently is doing.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
There are also things like the Zoom R16 and R2-D2 that function both as an 8-in interface and as a standalone mixer. Plus it'll record 8 tracks to an SD card.

I've been wanting a thing that has a bunch of knobs and maybe a little screen that can display what it'll be adjusting. Like how Novation's automap works on my Ultranova....but stand alone. Everything I see either has no display (like the old BCR-2000 or the midi fighter thing) or they have a bank of 8 attached to a keyboard.

As for configuring a midi controller to adjust a parameter on a synth, make sure that you know the channel that the synth is listening for (1-16) and the CC number that controls the parameter of interest. Then you need to make the controller output that CC message on the correct channel, which is often easier said than done.

The manuals for both the controller and synth will have the information you'll need (sometimes you may need to search for a midi implementation document). Also there are some parameters that are not available via midi. An example is like the filter on the Korg Volca Bass, and the manual discloses what parameters are available.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

abominable anime posted:

Have you read the manual

Does it say that you can pipe sounds through it? Because I don't see that in the manual and searching "audio in" doesn't lead me anywhere.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I guess Korg is releasing a new minilogue xd and now there are pages for the Volca Modular and Volca Drum.

All of these pages have intro videos.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
In high school I somehow made a song featuring a sample of my friend saying "I want someone to have anal sex with me" using Fruity Loops. I somehow managed to chop up the sample and do all sorts of stuff. I don't know how I did it and if I were to open Fruity Loops now I would be lost.

What I'm saying is that I peaked in high school.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I really do enjoy my Deluge too. I'm excited about the looping and I already have an EHX 45000, but an integrated looper would be super cool. There's supposed to be no limits in terms of loop length and how many you can have. I want to see how the work flow really is because it might be a super cool way to loop guitar and create A and B sections.

Also Synthstrom, the company that makes the Deluge, is pretty cool. They just launched the Synthstrom Foundation with the goal of increasing diversity and access for music. When the New Zealand shootings occurred, they put out a very tactful response. So I'm pretty happy to support the company.

If you do have a Deluge, get a wifi SD card and install Downrush. It is a web interface to transfer and edit files, so no taking the SD card in and out to change samples. It defaults to creating its own wifi network, but I find it more useful to just connect to my local wifi.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Are there any isomorphic keyboard controllers with velocity sensitivity? All I can find are either old, expensive, experimental ones from the 90's or variations of the Novation Launch Pad.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

MockingQuantum posted:

(or god help me, a Deluge)

You are describing the Deluge pretty well. I really do like mine and I found that it plays well with other gear nicely. But one of the nicest things is that it is super immediate. It boots up and you're good to go. If you're really lazy, there's a built in speaker and on board battery.

There are two downsides: cost and no live velocity input. It's more expensive than the circuit, especially if you just want something to unwind with. So it might be overkill. The other thing is that the pads are small and not velocity sensitive. You can hook up a separate controller (and I guess midi host mode is coming too) to access the velocity input that way. Or you can dial in at each step.

Alternatively, don't the new electribes save sessions that you can import straight into Ableton?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 fame has an official Reverb shop that is selling a modular synth. I am confused a bit.

And a Moog source...

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

AverySpecialfriend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLG0hqTtlgA

I don’t super care about the synth part but I think the honeycomb controller is really cool. Does anything standalone like that exist anywhere?

I was thinking of just getting a Sensel Morph with the developer overlay and just drawing a hex grid on it or playing with other isomorphic shapes. They do have a buchla overlay and other interesting things.

Edit: I just ordered one and I'll play around with it, but on their forum they have posted a hex keyboard template.

Rifter17 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 21, 2019

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Behringer will be making an MS-20 clone that is eurorack compatible. It actually makes me want to get the other behringer semi modular stuff to go with it. https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-k-2-available-for-preorder-at-e331/

In other burning money news, AE modular, a non-eurorack modular format made by tangible waves, has a US distributor for their rack sets: https://www.noisebug.net/products/tangible-waves-ae-modular-starter-system-2

I am in the US, but I randomly checked out thomann and the Waldorf streichfett is over $100 cheaper than Sweetwater even after adding 30 euros for shipping. It's powered by USB, so I don't need to worry about power adapters or anything. Am I overlooking anything?

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I don't need or want another keybed so the MS-20M was very appealing, but it was also north of $1000. I'd be more interested in standard rack mounting a behringer clone for ~$300.

The product guide from Behringer's website is ambiguous about the eurorack patching compatibility. It does explicitly say that you can put it in a eurorack case.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The Behringer Deepmind 12D might be a contender? Poly and has a lot of knobs. Roland system 1m? If you're OK with a small keyboard then maybe Modal Skulpt? Arturia Microfreak?

16 Model Ds polychained is an option.

I also have a deluge and I have a hard time getting into the synth part of it. I really enjoy the sequencing that it's capable of (and the beta stuff coming up is pretty cool too). I did tell myself to make a submission for the fascist robot collection just using the deluge to force myself to learn more about the unit by itself.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

So Math posted:

Is your midi controller particularly knobby? Small cheap knobby MIDI controllers are plentiful, a lot of companies make them. You might be able to get some mileage out of the Deluge's midi learn stuff.

One of the annoying things about the Deluge is that it doesn't have midi implementation. So every parameter you want to map needs to be mapped per synth instance per song. The current workaround is to save preset song templates. It would make more sense to have sound presets remember the midi learning so when you select your fat pads then it automatically loads up mapped parameters for a specific channel.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

barbecue at the folks posted:

I have some loose cash at the moment and was thinking of replacing the QY70 with a modern unit with a modern interface. would love to have something I could just take into my lap and mess with and which could produce both beats and retro rompler and synth sounds, especially when I can't be arsed to take out all my toys for a couple of hours of fun. Would an MPC Live fit the bill? I would love to get an old Proteus for the PSB cheesiness, but space, as I said, is at the moment non-existent.

I know that I was just complaining about some things with the Synthstrom Deluge, but that might be a great fit for you. You can load up samples of your own into it and works as a great sequencer too. It has song mode and is consistently being improved. It's battery powered too.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The deluge can do so much and it is tricky to have a user interface that makes sense given its tiny footprint. The facebook user group is actually very helpful in that they post consolidated shortcut lists. Some of them are graphical so you can see which knob they're talking about. But the manual kind of has gotten too large an unwieldy.

And yes, most midi footpedals do not transmit note data and only do cc's. So I don't really get the intention on making it respond to note values. My understanding is that it doesn't respond to transport controls either.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
The bar is pretty low for a one year old. I mean if your goal is to gain some music appreciation then I suspect that toys that just play music when interacting with it should be enough. That'll reinforce the connection between action and sound. Of course cheap percussion instruments (like an egg shaker or really just a baby rattle) can achieve this and be milk resilient.

Maybe a stylophone for $20 would be fun. Make sure the kid doesn't jam the pen up their nose. Maybe one of those one antenna theremin things? Also make sure the antenna doesn't go up the nose.

As kids get older then the options open up. The Dato Duo is another synth designed for kiddos, but generally the ages are more in the park of 3 and up.

A used kaossilator 2 might be fun for a little kid. I got mine for $70 a few years back. There's also an old ipod touch or tablet with the korg kaossilator app. That one does light up as you play it.

If you do go the cheap tablet route, then pointing the browser to https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/ might be fun. Again, I think older kiddos would appreciate it a little more.

If it's all an elaborate ruse to buy something for yourself in the name of the baby, then toddlers only respond to large eurorack systems or synths with Moog written on them.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Here's a first draft: https://soundcloud.com/pretentiousmanband/evil-empire

I took Reagan's evil empire speech and everything was done within my Synthstrom Deluge.

I didn't realize that the speech was mostly about abortion. I do want to add more to it, but I just want to post to get it out there.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
And as a reminder, these tools are available for free: https://magenta.tensorflow.org/studio.

That being said I exclusively use 9 or 13th chords in my gabber music where the bpm approaches audible ranges.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm also looking at the Novation Ultranova and Waldorf Blofeld as well. And a Deepmind. And whatever else looks cool as I'm browsing.

I also have an Ultranova and I do like it. I think the sounds are great and is pretty flexible. I got it as my first hardware synth, so I was trying to get away from a computer. But it just feels like working in a plug in to me at times. I do like the keybed. You can use it as a controller, but it has to be connected to a computer running Novation's automap software. It is not MIDI class compliant and requires drivers.

I'd also recommend having nice reverb/modulation pedals. I'm really happy with my Line6 M5 pedal and is great for people wanting to explore different effects.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
It's even harder when you realize that you can order the Crave through Thomann for ~$150 + $30 shipping. So you can buy 3 for ~$450 and $30 shipping...

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
What do you think about my synth that plays back multiple samples of Pauly Shore simultaneously, but share the same filter? I thought it was Paulyphonic.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Musicians' Friend has the Behringer Model D for under $200 shipped today.

I think my next steps are to buy a new mixer/interface. I'm leaning towards a Behringer XR18 as I would prefer to have something rack mounted. An alternative is the X32 rack, but the inputs are mostly XLR. I have a Zoom R24, but I am already out of inputs.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I mean, I'd rather have their MS-20 clone, but as soon as I saw the deal I jumped on it. Sweetwater was selling the Model D and the Neutron for $209 at one point. So that's now my pull the trigger threshold on those guys.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Is anyone going to SynthPlex 2020? Did anyone go to last year's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Don't forget to wear your cape while you play your synthesizers.

I'm getting really tempted to get an AE modular system though. Then I'd want to route all of my other stuff through it. Then next thing I know I'm researching load bearing skiffs.