Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Not really a synth question, but I'm bad at schematics and was hoping this would be child's play to you fine folks here:

I've always wanted to try some ultrasonic recordings of my pet rats which laugh at 55kHz, but previosuly had only came across like $1600 ultrasonics mics, or articles about using bat detectors as mics that never ended up working very well. So when I heard of some Knowles mics that can record up to 100kHz for $30 I figured I'd give one try, wanting to connect it up to XLR. Well, the mic is a tiny electret mic which doesn't take normal XLR/Phantom power. I asked Knowles and one of their engineers said it wasn't possible at first, then another one said the preamp/converter that a Shure SM93 comes with might work, so I said screw it and ordered one of each.

Well, now I have both in hand with rats waiting to be freaked out by hearing themselves real time pitch shifted and vocoded :shobon: Can anyone be so kind as to explain how to wire up this Knowles FG-23629-P16 $30 ultrasonic electret mic

with the Shure SM93's preamp? (which apparently converts phantom/XLR to bias power)

Mic has red, blue, yellow... Red = pin 2 sure, but what about blue = 1 and yellow = 3 perhaps?

(I could care less about the phantom power and that Shure SM93 phantom-to-bias preamp thing if there's a simpler way to get this tiny mic hooked up to XLR, I just picked up that SM93 in the hopes of being as lazy as possible. I soldered a phat-boy once but that is coming up on 20 years ago now, drat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So yeah, Logic is wonderful, but be prepared to have to pay to upgrade your equipment years down the road, maybe sooner than you might want. I know I'm complaining now, in 2019, over gear I bought almost 10 years ago, but this all actually started back in 2014, and I've just rolled with it since. So, I had bought gear that, while new at the time, was rendered 'legacy' and unusuable with OS upgrades ~4 years after.

I drove like 12 hours back in the day to buy Logic Platinum, before Apple bought Emagic and killed PC support. Tried a G5 with the IBM CPUs which was the biggest waste of money in my life. I will never forgive Apple!

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I bought some Kickstarter plugin "Imitone" years ago that is supposed to output midi based on your singing. This kid got tons of money and then barely delivered anything for years and years other than long winded status updates. It took him like 3 years to even make it a VST instead of a standalone app.

Somehow he got invited to th MIDI 2.0 panel. Now it's his latest excuse for why his plugin still barely works. Claims MIDI 2.0 will let one plugin scan all the activity in a song so the plugin can decide how to behave.

:psyduck:

sadus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 1, 2019

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Apparently they just showed off some prototypes at NAMM but I'm not sure if anyone's actually wrote up any details about that yet. Here's what this kid mentioned:

quote:

Research work has slowed down temporarily as I prepare for The NAMM Show next week, where imitone will be part of the MIDI Manufacturers Association booth. My work there has been a big investment in the future of digital music-making, and I'm investing now more than ever: The Association is running a special event to test the first batch of MIDI 2.0 prototypes, and imitone will be one of them.

P.S. Wait, MIDI 2.0??
Oh, yeah. This is a real thing that is happening.

MIDI is the language of digital music. When you sing, and imitone plays a note, MIDI is what takes that note to the digital instrument you're playing, or the song you're recording. Because of MIDI, imitone can connect to thousands of other music tools. But MIDI was created 35 years ago. It's old-fashioned, and there are lots things it can't do, or does in an awkward way.

MIDI 2.0 was announced yesterday, and will improve and modernize MIDI without replacing it. I have been involved for over two years. With it, imitone will be able to "scan" the songs and instruments on the other side to automatically pick the best settings. For example, imitone might learn it is controlling a digital violin and automatically go into "strings" mode. Other settings like pitch bend and controller mappings can be automated, too.

For more information, I suggest searching for "MIDI 2.0", "MIDI-CI" and "MIDI Polyphonic Expression" (which influenced MIDI 2.0). This is a deep subject, and I'll have more to say in a future post!