Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Is there any way to make the keys on a keyboard more sensitive? I got my Micron last night, and I'm just noticing that one of the keys is less sensitive than the others and you have to really press it down for it to register. I took it apart and cleaned it and it's marginally better, and I can't find any answers on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

W424 posted:

Try adjusting the velocity curve, it will affect all the keys.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/207440/Alesis-Micron.html?page=102

I played around with that already. It's literally just that one key that acts that way. I gave everything a wipe down and a blast of compressed air but I'm going to be taking the keys off and cleaning in between them. The seller said non smoker but I can tell you a smoker definitely owned this. While it doesn't smell of cigarette smoke, a bunch of loose tobacco bits came out when I gave it a blast.

The key works intermittently; even when it does you need to press down on it full force, whereas none of the other keys have that problem.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
In talking of grooveboxes, I picked up a cheap Electribe EMX. I can tell you I'll never pit anything worthwhile but I can tell you I play around with it constantly. I like enough I'll probably pick up the ESX.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Now I'm thinking maybe I could get an ipad to solve my recording needs, while maybe grabbing some synth apps while I'm at it. Like the korg gadget and etc.

With the Alesis io dock (and appropriate connector) I assume this would be pretty painless? I mean... If I'm gonna be dropping 300 dosh on a zoom recorder...

Go big or go home; I record everything on my OP-1 :downs:

That's mainly because the only room for my synths is on the half of the bed I don't use so everything's connected there.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Op1 update is out! Looking forward to sequencing my stuff with the sketch sequencer.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I pretty much want all the Elektron products. poo poo is rock solid and awesome.

I want a Monomachine and an A4 and I saw a Monomachine used for a reasonable price but in my heart of hearts I know it's not an A4. I have FM8 and an OP-1 and I want that analog oomph, and when you toss in Overbridge it's kind of a no-brainer.

It's like my OP-1. It took me about three years to get it but it was inevitable. I'm hoping my Electribe EMX is gonna be a good enough drum box to run alongside it. I've always been awful with percussion, and I basically just rip off bits from songs I like, so it's easy to avoid dedicated drum machines :)

Edit: I'm probably going to sell the Micron I got a couple of weeks ago. I like the sounds it makes but I don't really find it fun to use.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 29, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

treasureplane posted:

Don't do it. Volca Beats is the only Volca unambiguously not worth purchasing, IMHO. The snare sounds really, really bad -- maybe the worst I've heard on any drum machine.

Speaking of intriguing synths with difficult-to-ignore flaws: has anyone heard anything even remotely decent come out of an OP-1? It's gorgeous and the interface is quite nifty, but judging from the demos I've heard, the sound engines leave something to be desired. Finding it difficult to believe that an $850 luxury synth could sound noticeably worse than a $300 Alesis Micron.

I wrote this and I thought I did a pretty good job of showing the OP-1 off: https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures

I like the sounds in my Micron more, but there is literally nothing like the OP-1 out there and I can guarantee you I'm never getting rid of mine unless I'm at the point of being homeless. It's easy to ignore its flaws because it's fun, and I feel the same about my Electribe EMX. Regarding the OP-1, I know why people think it's flawed but most of the flaws are easily worked around if the user doesn't mind putting in a little effort.

I love my Micron's sounds but I'll likely be selling it because I don't find it fun to use, and it doesn't really fit with how I write music.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 30, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
A few :downs: questions.

I finally picked up an audio interface (Scarlett 6i6) so I could record over USB, but I'm running into a few weird issues, and I think the issue is more on the software side than hardware and maybe someone's run into the same issues.

1) Whether I run things through a DAW or just through Windows, everything goes through one of my stereo speakers, but it will record to mono. For example, when playing my Electribe, which is plugged from the mono jack to one of the inputs, it only plays through my left speaker. When I record it into something like Live Lite or Audacity, it'll record and play back as mono. Windows seems to treat each input as one channel of a stereo input.

2) The other issue is that it only seems to recognize my front two inputs when playing back through windows. Anything plugged into the back seems to get picked up since I can see the bars in the mixer jump around, but no audio comes through to the computer. I suspect this has something to do with ASIO drivers but I'm not having a heck of a lot of luck figuring out a solution.

3) The Micron isn't for me, so I'll be selling it. I found someone on Kijiji that wants to trade his Mopho (desktop version) for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trade or the cash. I've done some research but it seems like on its own, the Mopho isn't really worth it, but it might be something fun to play around with, as well as compliment the A4 I'll be picking up later this year. I can't say I'll honestly use it more than the Micron, but I can say with certainty my Micron is just going to sit here untouched forever, and it's either trade or sell. This is probably all down to personal taste though. I also have the feeling the Mopho would be easier to resell.

My foray into hardware started with the Electribe that sounds awful but I love, and then continued with two purchases I researched and seemed right but have been a little bit of a letdown. It's why I've held off on picking up a few things I've seen, like a 180 dollar TX81Z.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 5, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

renderful posted:

1) Are you using the Scarlett MixControl software to do direct monitoring(not through your DAW?) When I am doing direct monitoring, I use MOTU's CueMix FX(I have a MOTU Ultralite). This software allows me to select which channels are MONO or Stereo. Each input can be toggled to be either a MONO input(which comes out of both speakers) or half of a Stereo pair(in which case it's linked with the next channel, in stereo).

As far as your DAW is concerned, it has its own monitoring configuration, and should be able to turn any MONO input into a stereo channel by choosing the MONO version of the input for a channel.

2) The software also allows me to mute and unmute the other inputs and outputs.

In this Scarlett MixControl tutorial, it says that the same features exist for your interface: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/saffire-mixcontrol-tutorial

If you are currently using Windows mixer, you should be using the bundled software for direct monitoring(at least for configuration, but it has a bunch of other uses as well).

The problem is that everything is set to mono but it only comes through one of my speakers as a mono recording. I've tried this through a handful of DAWs (Renoise, which I realized actually doesn't allow mono audio inputs), Ableton Lite and Audacity. Ditto for Mixcontrol.

It'll record perfectly fine to mono, and when I play the recording back it plays through both speakers. It's just when I play the instrument itself it plays through only one of my speakers. I've run out of forums to search, and that tutorial was the first thing I've read. Nothing is muted, everything is open, and I have no clue where to go from there.

Maybe to add something to clarify, I don't have it connected to any monitors; the 6i6 is connected to my PC and all audio is routed through my PC.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 5, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music: Do you have problems getting sounds that gel well from different devices?

I've had issues recently where I'll go to add another synth patch to something I'm working on and have a lot of trouble getting it to mesh well with what's already there. This is probably compounded because I'm working with software, where everything has built in effects put onto the patches. Anyway, how do you guys deal with this?

e: The first answer will likely be "make your own patches." I know. I usually do. But I still have this come up.

Always; when I started using VSTs it was the same thing until I decided to only use one VST to write a series of songs; seven with Albino, then I moved on to Massive, then Atmosphere, and finally settled on FM8 which is more or less perfect for me. I've also gotten into the habit of turning off all the in-VST effects and using the ones in Renoise instead.

I can't speak much for hardware but I find myself working in the same way; when I write something I only use one device. I'll probably bend the rules a bit if I get a sampler, but even then I like picking up a box, sitting wherever I want with a pair of headphones, and hammer something out.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 13, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
As far as samplers go, does the ESX still hold up compared to other samplers? I have an EMX and I like the interface (but the sounds are kind of awful), and I've been looking for a sampler that isn't expensive. I don't really do house or anything, but I want to experiment with sampling in an ambient / glitch sort of way.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Any comments to an ESX as a good sampler? I have an EMX and I like the UI, and I'm looking to make something more ambient / glitchy with it. I know it's no Octatrack but I'm looking for something reasonably priced :)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

What do you think about the EMX soundwise? I've been looking into getting one just for fun if I can find one for around $200 but people either incredibly despise the sounds or find them relatively charming. The videos I've listened to make it seem not so terrible but I can't say for sure since I haven't played with one yet. I tend to like derivative cheapish sounds synth stuff (this is coming from a guy who bought a Roland D2 for the cheesy 505 sounds).

It sounds kind of awful and it takes a fair bit of effort to get the sound you want out of it, and due to that everything you put together has the same "sound", but I love picking it up and cobbling together a few patterns. I mainly got it to get used to step sequencing and as a drum machine for my eventual A4 purchase, but I think I'll also get a sampler so I can sample A4 percussion and sell the EMX. I picked it up for 300 CDN and I can't say I'd pay much more than that.

I don't make house so it's difficult to discuss its merits, but I really like just using it. It also kind of helps that if you have external synths, it can output five midi channels, so you could, in theory, pick up a few of those Struthi boxes and go to town. I picked up the FMDrive VST a while back and as strange as it might sound, I use my EMX to control it. I always used to go for my OP1 when sitting on the couch or in front of the computer but now it's always my EMX.

Is there a point to getting the ESX SD over the older edition? The exernal media doesn't add storage; it only gives extra storage for backing up the device's memory (which has remained unchanged over the two versions). I see one for 250 and it looks like it'd be a good thing to pretend to be Amon Tobin with.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Bilal posted:

And yeah, if you layer a soft piano with some strings and play minor chords it sounds a lot like an early X-Files episode.

I have the M1 sequencer for the 3DS and everything I put together sounds like an arcade racing game from the early to mid 90s.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Bolange posted:

I was looking at that earlier this week but then saw the price in the eShop. Is it worth the $35? The quality of that soundcloud is making me reconsider it.

I will say no, not really. If you have an iPad there's probably better on it; I've got an OP1 that handles all my portable music-making needs when I don't want to use a laptop. It's great for what it is and has some neat features like exporting the MIDI information to the SD card, as well as some neat sharing options. I got it with the 30 dollar credit promotion I got from buying Fire Emblem and SMTIV and sometimes I wish I got Phoenix Wright instead.

To be fair I am not a sequencer person. I like step sequencers and trackers, but sequencers like Ableton / Orion / Logic do nothing for me so there's a pinch of bias.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Oldstench posted:

So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

Finally plugged it in properly after buying it in March.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Startyde posted:

Spent the last week giving the OP1 another chance, still only dig on the sampler. The new CWO shifter is pretty sweet though. Probably going to send it back and spend $toomuch on that eurorack keyboard.

When did you get it? I bought mine last September and it took me a good four months before I finally actually enjoyed using it. It was my first hardware synth, but I've been using VSTs for a little over a decade and it has (arguably) the worst presets out of anything I've ever used. That being said, as I got better at making my own sounds (and discovering the patches others have made), I can't see myself ever parting with it.

I know it doesn't really play well with other gear, but for me it's not that big of an issue. It more or less fit what I was looking for - a portable DAW that didn't require a computer to use.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Count me in for the Reaktor sale. I don't know why I bought it. Everyone else was and I just wanted to fit in :smith:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I almost bought it but stopped because it's not for immediate download and I want it now. :mad:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I've been teetering on the Komplete sale; I used to use Massive and Absynth and didn't find them as interesting as FM8 which is my go-to VST, but I picked up Reaktor on sale a bit ago and after trying out Monark I need to pick up Komplete or Komplete Ultimate. I've tried a few other VAs like Diva or that Sylenth but I like Monark so, so much more and it's more or less sold me on the bundle.

Why did my idiot bird get sick two weeks ago and force me to spend five hundred bucks in vet bills :mad: I think I'll get Ultimate. For marginally more I can have everything I'd ever want, and I can just pick up a used Maschine cheap if I wanted to dick around with it.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 21, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Radiapathy posted:

Monark is rad as gently caress. Definitely my favorite bass synth.

You've already got Massive, FM8, Absynth, and Reaktor? (You've already basically paid for Komplete.)

Ultimate is the obvious way to go for you. For me the real stars of K9 Ultimate are the effects. Some really solid stuff there. But the Kontakt libraries K9U includes always come in handy.

No, I only tried them out and wrote a couple of songs with Absynth and Massive a few years back before deciding on purchasing FM8. I only own FM8 and Reaktor. I'll admit Ultimate interests me because it includes Razor and all those effets; I've always been lacking in the production department and maybe having a set of good effects will encourage me.

Last paycheque I had to pay for a vet bill, and my upcoming one is where I pay for my root canal. Maybe it's time to get around to selling some of my hardware :downs: If they didn't use UPS (just giving me a serial number so I could download what I want would make it a no-brainer) it'd be a lot easier making the decision whether to buy this or not since I'm looking at paying an extra 90 bucks or so on delivery :canada:

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 21, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I keep trying to convince myself into / out of buying Komplete 9 Ultimate :smith:

I already own FM8, Reaktor and Diva but it's hard to pass up on all that other stuff. I have been waffling on this decision since it started. I keep telling myself it's worth it for the Reaktor plugins and the other effects but I still can't decide. Maybe I can remain indecisive until the deal's over and not push back my root canal until next payday?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I started learning FM8 and it's really not that awful so far. I can't imagine digging into making polyphonic stuff on it yet but as far as some mono stuff it isn't that bad at first.

It's my favourite VST and eventually things just click and you wind up never using presets and you get those :3: metallic Genesis sounds that make your bathing suit area get all tingly.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I bought a used Electribe EMX and while it kind of sounds awful I love the thing and I have no problems recommending it as a "my first synth" because the thing is built like a tank and fun as heck to play around with.

I also have a blank template in Renoise that has everything set up to play well with the Electribe so I can queue up a few VSTs (usually Aly James' FMDrive) and boop around.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MSPain posted:

Any of you guys have thoughts on gigging with an OP-1?
I am trying to avoid lugging a computer with a DAW, a controller for it, a DAC interface and all of the other junk that entails to venues. It looks like -- as long as you are crafty and keep things minimal -- you could use this thing to back up a small band with drums/bass lines/fun texture.

I know there's a few videos on youtube that show some examples of using the OP-1 live, usually in conjunction with a Kaoss pad or something. It's a shame there's no way to sync over MIDI or else you could pair it with an Electribe for a fantastic portable package.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any more information about KORG's new Electribe boxes? I read the specs on the Sampler and my gearboner flared up, but I can't find anything but some product demo video in Italian... And my Italian is limited, mostly to dirty words and gestures.

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well ask; I've been playing some of the original Deus Ex and naturally the soundtrack is bringing back memories. The sound palette is distinctive like it could be a preset library - anybody know what synths were used for that soundtrack?

They're all Impulse Tracker mod files; you can grab the tracker of your choice and open up the source files.

Also I'm probably going to try and unload my EMX and Micron for whatever I can get and grab the new sampler as long as it comes with the same VA engine.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Anyone care to chime on on the Pocket Operators? I used to use a couple of Korg apps on my 3DS for commute music-making but I've started to get carsick, so I'm looking for something more hands-on that I can mess about with to kill time. If you have a favourite out of the three, or can suggest only one to get, which would it be? I've a feeling either would do the job since I'm not looking for anything too serious, I've just no idea which provides the most flexibility overall.

Or are they neat toys for a week or two and then you get bored of them?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

Also it wins until someone puts out a pocket synth with a sampler, granular synth, Moog filter, and billions of unique sequencing possibilities.

Not if you get carsick. I had to put away my laptop and found 3DS unusable on a charter bus but had no problems using my OP-1. I find myself using software less and less for actually writing anything. I turn to either my OP-1 or ancient Electribe EMX for messing around and then go over to software where I rewrite it to sound nicer. Personally there's a whole load of reasons I can list for myself why a tablet isn't the solution I'm looking for. Other people have success with it and sometimes I'm envious but I know it'd be useless for me.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

COOL CORN posted:

After years of VSTs, and weeks of mulling over my first piece of hardware, I've got a Korg EMX-1 on the way to me :ohdear: I'm unreasonably excited but it's a lot of money for a poor guy like me!

I'm selling mine but with the other stuff I have (mainly the OP1) I can't justify keeping it, as much as I love it. It sounds a bit harsh now, with what modern machines are capable of, but it is fun as heck to play around with and is built like a tank, and acts as a nice midi controller or great standalone drum machine when needed.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

stillvisions posted:

I still miss mine (stolen); was hoping that once the new one was out ebay prices would drop on them but because of the crap Canadian dollar it'd cost me almost as much as (or even more than) the new one right now with shipping and import duties.

I just sold mine last week. I like it. I just plain wasn't using it. What's worse is that I sold it to someone who smoked and had a dirty house :/

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Sizone posted:

I used to smoke and I have a dirty house, yet all my gear still works. Quit being so superficial.

Did you use ashtrays because he did not use ashtrays and just tapped his cigarette all over the floor.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

KingSlime posted:

Hi everyone,

I asked in the small questions thread but you might have a better idea here.

I'm interested in a little or mini keyboard that can let me record and assign loops, sort of as a way to make music with a few instruments on the spot with nothing more than my grasp of music theory and some creativity. Are those midi controllers with the pad what I'm looking for? I'd prefer it to be standalone and not require a PC/software, but I don't know if this exists.

I guess I could always get a looper pedal or something for a keyboard but I like the idea of playing a lick, assigning it to a nice big pad or something, and being able to turn that loop on and off to sorta compose and perform at the same time.

What exactly is the name for this hypothetical keyboard? I'm sure they exist, right? Sorry for my total ignorance surrounding synths.

A sampler? I know Korg has a few options - I like the Electribe ESX but it's more of a step sequencer and less of a keyboard, but if you find one used I think it offers the most bang for your buck.

The Octatrack seems to be the be all and end all for samplers but I can't speak from experience and it carries the price tag to match.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

good jovi posted:

An OP-1, perhaps?

I have one and I love it to death but it seems less conducive to real-time looping as KingSlime seems to be looking for. If you wanted to record a bunch of samples into a device and sit on the couch with it and play around, I'd recommend it over all others. But if you're looking for quick and easy live-looping while playing over it, I'd probably recommend something more like the Octotrack (from what I know of it).

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 8, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Soooooooooo what do you guys do when you find a synth on kijiji / craigslist for a suspiciously low price, like 800 CDN for an Analog Four price, hypothetically -_-

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been interested in buying a synth in the <$1,000 range for while and I'm considering it soon. I've been looking around to see what kind of quality I can find and a few I like are the Microbrute, Microkorg (maybe, convince me why I should avoid it), the MS-20 Mini, and the OP-1. My musical aims lie somewhere between Tangerine Dream, Zombi, Sinoia Caves, and various dreamy soundscape ambient whatever stuff. I don't have an interest in producing any kind of edm or whatever is in every youtube demo I keep finding. As you've probably noticed I'm not 100% set for any of the synths mentioned so I'm looking for input and suggestions to check out. Thanks!

e: forgot to mention a fairly important point. I'm looking for a synth that can be as all in one/singular as possible. I'd prefer to use it as I would something like a guitar and not have to feel like I need a computer running nearby all the time. Shouldn't be an issue with any I mentioned but I've seen some that people like to run in tandem.

I have an OP-1 and while I love it, it's not warm enough to get into Tangerine Dream territory. If you want to mess around with step sequencers you can take a peek at the RM1x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-1nIt7Oj4 which you can find used for 150-200 bucks. If you can afford it you can take a peek at Elektron gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpH5Ij6CfM.

I find step sequencers more fun to experiment with but you'd be hard pressed to get me to give up my OP-1, which isn't really forgiving. This is about the warmest I could get mine to sound without going into sampling: https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures. That being said it has a built in rechargeable battery, is super portable, and very versatile otherwise.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I had an Electribe EMX for a while to see if I liked step sequencing. While I did, I couldn't get into the sounds available and it sounded the wrong kind of old. I'm going to wait for a Monomachine to show up used but in the meantime, is spending money on an rm1x worth it? I'm way more familiar with Yamaha's synths than Korg's and I'm wondering if the sound palette will make it worth it for the minimal price, or is it tossing good money after bad? On paper it looks to be a better buy than the EMX but it's money I don't technically need to spend but I like step sequencing and can't justify investing in any Elektron equipment with Christmas around the corner.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I finally figured out why my Alesis Micron is so dodgy (for lack of a better term). It turns out that some of the plastic is stripped so the screws can't grab on as tightly as they should.

I've googled stripped plastic and most seem to suggest stuffing epoxy into the hole with one of the screws and having a go but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has a similar experience in not spending money trying to get it fixed. I never use it and want to sell it, so spending a hundred bucks on a new keybed isn't something I want to do.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Luna posted:

Any recommendations on a reasonably price dedicated synth? I'm looking for something with decent stock sounds. I'm not a keyboard player, just looking to put some ambiance into the background of guitar heavy music. I had a K2000 back in the day that did well but I'm not looking to spend that much again. I do have some softsynths, but I want something that I can walk up to and go when the mood strikes.

Define decent stock sounds. I loved fiddling about on my Electribe EMX. If I wasn't dead set on getting an Elektron machine I'd also look at a Yamaha rm1x but I hear that has a harder learning curve if you've never used a step sequencer. The latter can be found for about 200 USD used or less.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I just (finally?) bought a Monomachine. I've been saving up for a couple of years but thanks to our plummeting Canadian dollar I haven't been able to justify it. One popped up used and I jumped on it. A far, far cry from my EMX. There are some things I've discovered that disappoint or elate and I expect it'll be like that for a while but I don't find it as difficult to jump into as some have said. It's my first high-ish end purchase since I've tended to stick to the entry-level options (aforementioned EMX, rm1x).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

The Monomachine is a fantastic box, you will definitely get frustrated with it and think it was a bad purchase because it doesn't seem to do that much but in reality it can do way more than you initially thought and you'll finally attain enlightenment when you realize it does some very special things almost no other synthesizer can.

I'm not overly worried - I basically wanted a step sequencer that could make sounds like a Sega Genesis (FM8 and FMDrive are my two go-to tools) and in that regard it's wonderful. It's more just getting used to the workflow or Elektron way of doing things - some things I find kind of roundabout but I'm sure there's a shortcut I haven't figured out yet. I've managed to figure out all the basics myself so I'm going to dig through the manual soon.

But thank you for the vote of confidence :P