Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Hey fellow minimalists :v:

If you spot an Edirol digital mixer for a good price, buy it! It's the core of my rig, takes care of mono inputs wonderfully, handles reverbs and echoes decently, digital IO and fine treatment of output along with parametric EQ thanks to its digital nature.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
no no no I'm getting the Alesis Vortex because it saves space, honest

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I found a patch on the blofeld that my headphones can't hear cause it's so fuckin' bassy. I don't remember making it, but maybe I did?

The only notes I can hear on my keyboard are the last three... ON THE RIGHT. Sounds like my cans are gonna shake apart.

Sick. :getin:

Get a subwoofer for those times. Just mind your neighbours and times of day.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

tehschulman posted:

Can anyone recommend a nifty desktop mixer (8-16 channels) for quick plugging and jamming with my machines? I'd prefer something more compact with a good feature set, effects routing, and some funky characteristics. I came across the KORG Zero8 mixer the other day and like the look and design (I'm a sucker for one-off unique things) but I can't imagine it's a great mixer. Budget would be $200-$400 or so.

Allen and Heath? Another Mackie?

See if you find an Edirol digital

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Can you toggle the arpeggiator of a DSI Mopho over Midi CC?

HaB posted:

First rehearsal with the Kronos last night. Went well save for one thing:

Tall man is tall.

I am 6'2" and will be standing. Anyone got a recommendation for a stand for tall people? I have been googling all morning, and found nothing but wildly conflicting opinions. :(

I at 6'1" loved stagepianoing with a four legged table stand, had the cheapest model I could find ($50, BSX?), steady and reliable.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

It's down to a TR-8 and a used R8 for $180 on craigslist for me. The TR-8 looks like it will be easier to sequence in a one-handed / live setting so I'm leaning that way. But the R8 looks like a fuckin tank and has tons of outputs so I'm torn.

The R8 requires two hands, is an actual tank, has clean sharp samples and is suited for doing actual "real" drumming, like if a band lost their drummer. You want to get cards for it for more electronic drums, or have a nice bay of effects for the separate outs.

(The 1980's equivalent is the Korg DDD1, an over-engineered beautiful thing that I only had the little brother DDD5 of.)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

That, miraculously, hasn't stopped people from releasing a rough jumpcore album with Miku cursing up a storm.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Plavski posted:

I learned a new word!

Jumpstyle was the word someone elsewhere crowned when linking it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z8FHFs-XsM

Not a bad album in general (see related videos) for us used to sick Eurotechno and tasteful gabber.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I'm surprised to see the DSI Mopho is still $400, so what's the most Model-D-like analogue you can get for under $500? The brutes?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

treasureplane posted:

If it absolutely has to be analog, the Korg MS-20 is probably your best bet.

Oh crap I forgot about that holy grail, my guys haven't talked much about it and yes, dissatisfaction and the bad habit of not using reference gear to listen in so I pick up artefacts and the slightest ugly stepping. The MS-20 would let me do the YMO and DAF cover business, with a midi-CV box I could do what I need for on-location fun with keytar and SP404.

On the other hand I have never had anything Waldorf, and so many of me Swedish synthesizer nerds swear by their stuff. Hrm.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Trying to do the LP sample based beats business on a JJOS MPC1000 made me feel hardware was in the way, but selling that and getting an SP404SX put me back on the right path. Sampling and assigning something to a pad in a couple of seconds, would only get better with an SP12 mode and a non-ghetto pad-mute method.

Gotta find the right stuff. I started out making .mod music on Amiga so I like working with some restrictions and limits.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Cable spaghetti can seriously be conquered, I did it when I had the most hardware I ever did and filled a not too shabby MX9000 mixer, it's just that cable spaghetti is a pain in the rear end and requires a good amount of vertical space and the right furniture to deal with. Also, money buying shorter lengths instead of cheapest possibles.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

they expect hardware to sound amazing right out of the gate when tossed into a mix because it's ~analogue~

On their $299 Beats By Dre "studio headphones, maaaaaaan", and entirely dry.

I need headphones that are the quality and huge head-friendliness of the Sennheiser HD25s, but can be used as reference. HD25s are more for hearing what cannot be heard and engineering, and not giving anything near a correct image of what is heard on 99% of other equipment.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: The Waldorf synths I'm keeping are not only easy to program and automate- they're FUN to use, too. I like fun.

Way to put me onto the track of getting my first Waldorf :O

My holy grail would really be a racked Kurzweil with VA-1. I'd have the Forte if it wasn't for all the other things I need to put $3995 on like.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I bought an FB01 most recently and simply "eh". Fed it videogame midis and "eh". Had more use of the Casio SK1, I should just have bought the DM100 when I had the chance, cute little turds that are fun to use.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Making noise for for $0 to $4995 / I bought a $1200 synth, time to make minimalist acid / Wishing we could go 100% ITB since 199

Gearslutz reminds me terribly of what I saw when I was into photography, people with all of the money and none of the sense or learning ability, a kitchentable full of white Canon lenses to a single camera and no training, just post upon post asking for hints of how to do the basics. MPC-Forums has a cozier and saner "show your stuff" thread than Gearslutz which often has manic collecting syndrome stuff in it. Or several new cars worth of gear connected to a Behringer Xenyx.

When it comes to getting space, I've recommended this to my Scandinavian types, look into second-hand/thrift stores for 70's 80's LP player stereo furniture and in most cases it'll fit 19" rack units perfectly, got these two for like $8 currency converted:

One day I'll get a more respectable deck.

e: I love recording live, but without too large mistakes, you get the idea. Sounds okay, sounds right, something I could be satisfied and proud of? Then it's in.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Those were just silly thread name suggestions actually.

What I do feel dickish about are my reactions to gearslutz threads of people working 100% ITB asking what channel strip to put their mix through to make it sound better, nonchalantly saying their budget for that one item, and it can only be a single one-in-all piece, is five grand. If I bookmarked those threads I'd link them because they are sights to see.

But whenever one of those people actually listen in and learn from those who know, I feel good. I helped one learn about mixing down to an old casette deck to reach the desired crunch and lo-fi instead of buying things best left for million dollar studios, he could have bought a nice used car for the money he saved.

(But that's more of an "urgh" allergic reaction. See the "photographers". Teens with rich parents who get them a white Canon lens collection.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Oh you mean F5ing the ads every other minute and then jumping on a Yamaha QY22 offered for $25?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Just got home with a Korg Volca Keys and that's what I call value for money. I'd trade it for a Mopho in a heartbeat though.

sliderule posted:

You mean a QY100 for $220 or a QY70 for $180, right?

I can only F5 for so long. Also gently caress silver plastic.

Edit: I would accept silver plastic for the RS-7000 but it's too much machine, and too pricy.

Those are some expensive QY100s and QY70s even if I were to convert my currency to USD :haw:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Midi timing from computers is a whorebag though.

No problem for me to get a proper Atari with zero latency godliness for next to nothing in Sweden but still.

If you want a the most powerful modern hardware sequencers it's MPC500, MPC1000, MPC2500, and JJOS where applicable. The timing is as tight as it should be, just a bit unwieldy and better off for those of us who record live.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 12, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

sliderule posted:

edit: Is that tiny screen going to be an obstacle for sequencing external tracks?

It's more like a ledge that you sometimes bump your toe into. The MPC1000 screen has a full on dot matrix whereas the 500 has a 2x16 character screen, you'd have to work more by and take good notes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I think the Model D is the best synth ever, after on-hands experience :colbert:

But then again, synths that use joysticks trigger psychotic murder rampages in me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The good reasons to get into modular keep growing and growing :unsmith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

He's back with NIN? :woop:

e: Hey it's the best Behringer product!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 15, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

You had me at using wheels for pitch and mod controls. Lovely on-board controls, nice rear, fine sound and sequencer, looking forward to that Japanese guy demoing it on youtube for a proper demo of its capabilities.

(On the other hand, two of those are more than a Kurzweil Forte.)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Phase 1 complete:

Next will be the synth stack!

I approve. What does the rear look like?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Is it just me or is the Korg Volca Keys too "kind" in its sound? Like if it spoke a language it would speak French, in which even gore-metal sounds sweet?
(Yeah I should have not forgotten about the NanoZwerg.)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Scatterfold posted:

Bonus question: what do folks reckon to the Bassbot TT-303?

Get it before someone else buys it if you see one for sale. Some of the most zealous accuracy-minded analogue nerds I know in Europe have sold their original 303s for the TT303.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

People get hooked on Buchla. On freaking Buchla. Not even the finest of 5U does it for them or the freakshow that is everything you can get for Eurorack.

"Yeah I spent a fine rear end new family-car worth of money on this boat of Buchla"

He is happy, his wife is happy, his kids are happy, they are all somehow managing their money, so it's okay with me. If I could remember his name I'd show his youtube channel of interesting analogue studies and the utterly minimal acid he makes with a 303 clone and a drum machine. If I get in touch with him again I'll try to get shots and get you guys a tour and some tweaking.

That said I'd rather have the $3995 Kurzweil Forte than the new $3999 Easel :wtf:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I still think the Volca Keys is limited in synthesis and growl but I've turned around and started feeling it's a keeper, it makes a great tiny machine for making modern art gallery synthesizer music with, 70's prog rock B-side stuff when you crank up the internal delay.
Feels good and remember to record your jams guys, every little minute, dangit :smith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I recommend the Norberg festival if anyone of you get the budget and the will to go to Sweden. I've got contacts among arrangers and staff if you think you could possibly be desired to perform there, or hold a work-shop, and that PO-12 is a beautiful beast.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I'll tell you what takes care of synth-GAS: Murphy's law of there being plentiful affordable machines when you cannot afford it nor make time for it, and there not being anything but near-RRP used items on eBay when you finally have the time and money and need :argh:
(Korg MicroSampler)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

EBM is where it's at. Just hard to decipher and recreate the magic behind it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Trap music? Is that like when it begins like genre X and then switches into genre anti-X?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJt6Gv4XPk
:v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Behringer were working on at least a weird fucker of a synth beast back when they were alright. They are alright again, so bring it on, especially if it reaches that price.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

PIGS AROUND THE WORLD SPROUT WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT, AS WHEELS ON A ROLAND APPEAR IN SIGHT

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The K2000 got more fun with a card-reader, by cutting away all the "huh, this floppy randomly de-magnetized/flipped a bit" un-fun.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Traded myself a Korg MicroSampler since the only available used sources were €250++ and grabbed a second-hand store gameport-for-power 61key board that nobody could figure out for a tenner, I think I'm happy with the way 2015 started out for gear :haw:
Next on the shopping-list, inspiration to actually create compose and write

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 15, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Making Buchla gear look like cardboard-Euro units. In price.

Got my MicroSampler today, one problem that I work around by multitracking is only having one keyboard-part for the sequencer, otherwise recommended if you can find it. My huge melonfarmer hands and fingers are perfectly okay with those keys too.
If I wasn't down with a cold I'd have cranked out a burp&bass project in celebration of it.

e: I desire stereo 48khz samples of Kurzweil Triple Strike Grand piano, C2 to B4, velocity 90ish and just let the keys stay down. I want to pimp the hell outta the MS1 with it. It fits 160 seconds of 48kHz mono in each bank, 80 stereo so my brain thinks this would give 36 keys at 2.2 seconds each, I remember how fiiiiine the stereo spread was in their keys

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

OK What's the current good/free robosampler? I used to use redmatica but I have nfc what to use now on PC. or I can just play them sequentially and you can chop.

The MicroSampler can be set up for clever automated keynext-sampling (with threshold and time limits) so it's cool to just let it roll with a second of space inbetween. Username at gmail or PM, I'll drop some kudos when I put the finished bank up online for sharing with others who can't not triple-strike if I can figure out where.

Was surprised to find out its rom banks cover 61+ keys when played with an external board, currently digging into http://www.mattmontag.com/projects-page/nintendo-vst (made in SynthMaker, interesting technical read) to set up a rich bank of NES sounds and percussion. Nice to be back with equipment one feels home with.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

Does anyone know if the new Korg sampler will have line in? I really want something with line-in for my records, with pad trigger action. I'll get an old MPC if I have to but I'd like something a bit more modern

The Volca Sampler requires USB/smartphone app, the Electribe Sampler does 3.5mm stereo line-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Open hihat samples that also work as neat orchestral hits: Casio SK1 and similar series

W424 posted:

No usb, it's encoded audio to sync in on volca sample. The free caustic app works on about anything so no iphone required.

Ah!

Love that Caustic guy, originally Korg indeed went "yeah it's iOS only :v:" and only those already drowning in iOS devices were okay over at my other synth forum.