Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Slimkey? We need to get some measurements done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Not much on the blue leds in equipment front this year. Good.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

inMusic Brands own Akai, Alesis, Numark and many more.

Alesis have keytars, therefore they're okay.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Remember the BeatThang.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Roland A880 and the likes solve so many headaches for midi here-there/splits/merges.

I thought Yamaha were going to drop something new and refreshing this NAMM?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I found the Korg MicroSampler keys are pretty much identical in measurements to other keys, here being an MK61 midiboard and an old Malmsjö organ. Hard to see since I'm weak and sick and barely able to shoot snapshots straight but they all have 9/16th space between black keys near identical (the MK61 having a pinch less space)

Are the MS20 mini keys even smaller than that? If the MS1 keys aren't SlimKeys, wth are SlimKeys?

e: better measurement = one octave of MS1 keys is one key shorter than a full-size keyboard
No wonder it feels perfectly fine for me

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 23, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

When you fill every hole #JustSynthThings

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I mostly play with minikeyboards and have started to notice I'm really uncomfortable playing normal-sized keys that aren't horribly spongy and awful.

I've become a monster

Not only because of the fibro is it that I can only really do fullsize standard keys if they are the very best and straight outta FATAR or a comparable factory and also have wheels, not joysticks :smith:
It's just that good. Nearly dropped €200ish on a Kurz K2000 again to have as a midiboard a few years back. The 61 key board I got from a second hand shop (+5v from gameport for power) simply requires too much pressure to trigger, it's like typing on a stiff computer keyboard and not one of these softer Logitechs I cannot live without.

I those wheel-having smaller midi keyboards of Korg have these sorts of keys I need to dump this 61er and get one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Gonna fill the iDevice slots with M&Ms, best unit ever

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_x17qzzA4
MFB finally seen at NAMM :woop:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

Kurz triple strike as requested, tails not choped, not normalized, @92VEL Bon[er]us, an octave of a stringer patch. Also no loop points, not normalized. Sorry, :effort:
Share if you bother to make something in a modern (kontakt? sfz? dunno) format.

No worries, it's a breeze and quite the pleasure to use the MS1:

I did however find that you've got a hiccup with your recording interface, too low ASIO latency? Many keys on hit a snag like this

(D3, F3, G3, A3, C4, D5, E5, F5, G5, B5 and too many of the black key samples to be able to fill in the empty spaces)

But oh maaaan how nice it sounds to play the MS1 like this :unsmith:
God bless samplers. We all need them and I gotta convert old treasures, maybe see if I can convince the Swedes to sample off their Moogs for me..

e: Can otherwise confirm it does a seemingly flawless job at automatically blending samples for keys that otherwise would be left empty, great machine. Only whites are necessary
e: Speak up if you want a 76 meg Roland S-550 sample-set with a ton of good stuff, also has wav-conversions for use with non-S series sampler

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Roland S-550 sample library, and raw .wav conversions thereof: https://mega.co.nz/#!yN03hCJZ!GW_fQ9R3-kbkHi5fa_O6HWiuIBRckRhI_43ICWwansI
Good percussive library and basses, samples in general (like impact sounds from ball sports including golf), gonna keep it there until February starts

I fixed the top B4 note via sound-wave surgery, not even my super-aurals can pick up the tweak so it's all fine now. It's an oscillation-dupe getting cut causing a pop

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 25, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

Tight. Also looking like it might have been my velociraptor taking a poo poo. :rip: Time to make a microcenter pilgrimage.

I can't make B4 or D3 clean enough to safely normalize :<

But hell yeah getting this quality out of a cute lightweight plastic slimkeys keyboard weighing less than my first cellphone, that can also run 6xAA batteries for 3-5 hours of play instead of beep-boop electronic sounds :unsmith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The 7z seems to be 0 bytes large at the moment

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe I should reboot or something.

That solves network problems for me too many times. Using an Intel NIC that should be super-reliable.

Gonna set up some sweet rhodes banks for the MS1 with that bundle, thanks!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Any (legal or not hard to get .wav/aiff) source of Mellotron samples other than https://web.archive.org/web/20070228111412/http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/aphex/113/index.html ? I've turned those four into MicroSampler banks and they're glorious, the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

It can also make Moog sounds. It's on my list along with finding the Kurzweil MicroEnsemble for under $200.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Got a not-quite-BonerJamz idea of doing Paul Hardcastle's 19 but in the Brentalfloss way and making it about Ubisoft games but that would require annotation work and so much cutting conference & presentation voice samples :smith:
(But it would be pretty freaking cool so if I get over this cold then maybe)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Soundclips from movies? http://www.wavcentral.com/movies.htm http://www.moviewavs.com/Movies.html :getin:

No Boogie Nights though, I've got Blade Runner and Total Recall for sci-fi on BR, gimme timestamps and I can cut proper quality samples for yas

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

utamaru posted:

Speaking of soundbites, what is your preferred way to extract something from say, an mkv file? I'm using a mac. I've tried things like wavtap and soundflower before but remember it being a hassle.

Can you use the final audio output mix / monitor / "what you hear" as a recording source?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I like the one-tiny-sample battle idea, not because I did a shitload of that in the 90's while deep down in the .mod making swamp.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Draw your own samples using less than XX samples of measurement could be an educative little romp.

net work error posted:

I once took part in a compilation where everyone had to make a track featuring a sample from a Nicholas Cage sample pack and that was fun. Something of that same vein would be good for comedy forum Something Awful Dot Com.

But this gets my vote holy crap.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

How hard should one be allowed to go to work on that sample? Sticking to basic cut&paste like a tracker limitation, no effects?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Who wouldn't name their synthcat Rudess.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

uXs posted:

So um, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

I need/want to do something similar (yes, for a school project), but with other music/video/sound clips. My initial inspiration are things like the Picard song and the 'They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!' videos. We need to combine music with a different art form and something silly like this seems fun to make. I haven't made any music like this, haven't really worked with samples, or made any videos yet, so I'll probably learn a lot doing it! :v: (Hell, I haven't done anything yet and I already learned a lot looking up poo poo.)

I was wondering what your workflow for something like this is?

My idea was that it would be easiest to start with the music, mix some sound clips/samples in it, and then sync up the video where appropriate. Right?

What hardware/software do you use? I bought a small MIDI controller which came with the lite edition of Ableton Live (wanted one anyway and this seemed like a good reason to finally buy one), and I have Lightworks for the video.

Any other tips or tricks or advice is always welcome.

I too wonder. I know there's a VJ-like thing for Max that basically lets you sequence video clips, like it was a video x0x machine (without tuning). I want to do the DJ Yoda thing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

37 keys, in a row?!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

How do you like the microsampler? I was || this close to getting one but picked up an MPC1000 with OS2XL instead.

It's got limits that I have worked around, figured it out within its first evening, really just only a few cons. Depends on what you're after in an instrument really. I wanted and got this and more:
1) Sampleplayer of the chromatic kind, with quality tweaking of samples (frequencies and rates)
2) Audio-in effects passthrough (goofing off in voicecomms for games and whatnot) and super clean sound
3) Comfortable keys (fibromyalgia, gotta be picky with computer-keyboard and music-keyboards) with ease of use, speed of operations

MPC1000 with JJOS I found a pain in the rear end that eventually became nothing but a sample-player and a really great midi-sequencer. Money from its sale was put towards a Roland SP404SX which was terrific for the LP-sampling music-building I got into (for study, trying to figure out what makes a "beat", the magic behind it) but I could not get away from what I really needed, which was the MS1 that I had missed out on time after time just by hours many times. Traded towards this and got something that only needs a midi pad controller to make better.

Now that I'm free of everything flu I can get working on my video review of it again. (and do ask if you have any questions, I know the machine better than I got to know the MPC or SP404 after the years with them)

Most importantly it has snack storage compartments.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS K2600 VIDEO TUTORIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RUDESS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I VAST DOWN SOME GNARLY ALGOS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS GUITAR CENTER. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY I.T. JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN I.T. CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CAT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I POST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMW2XZQCeI

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I just want a midi keyboard with wheels (or keytar) and the keys of quality of whatever were in Kurzweil K2000 :smith:
And layering and not being so expensive that I would seriously be better off buying an actual K2000 to use as a midi keyboard
Which wouldn't be a bad idea. Fuuuuuck.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Traded away an XG/GM unit for a Casio DM100 and VL1. DM100 actually has hifi quality presets and not the SK1 era junk that I wanted, and the VL1 is a glorious happy funtime holy-grail keeper.

So, if anyone of you need presets of either or VL1 ADSR sets sampled, let me know and I'll drop you raw per-key .wav/aiff. Hoping to get a 3-4 key an octave sampleset of SK1 presets myself, only found an unreliable one-per octave source online so far.

Now let's see how it handles LP sampling

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

sliderule posted:

I can dust off the SK-1 and sample it. Are you just looking for the presets?

Would be awesome and yes. Can skip Human Voice and SynthDrums, default envelopes, 2-5 second lenghts. If we say the upper octave is mid then it's the following eight I need:
code:
Lowest F
low C, low D#, low G
mid C, mid F, mid B
high C
The MicroSampler is quite good about transposing but sometimes vomits, D# and one of the last six keys of a higher octave are often necessary to prevent imperfection. I sampled the drums back forever ago and I love them so much. (username at gmail)

e: DM100 gets my approval, the casio chord function makes it sound hella videogame BGM. I could help a developer friend get cheesy tunes with this.
e: The DM100 demo tune is some serious Yellow Magic Orchestra poo poo :psyduck: aaand set with samples, best regards to sliderule, time to get cracking on transcriptions

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 9, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of DAW I feel really comfortable with ProTools First, really respectable limitations for a freebie. The drawbacks are that it's ProTools, it feels like it's got serious bloat taking a good time to start up on an SSD, and that it's not Reaper :v:

(PTF download just under 900 megs compressed, Reaper downloadable executable 9.9 megs. What I mainly do is record *in* and if I can replace the plugs PTF has with equal or better freebies in Reaper that'll make Reaper worth the $60 even more.)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I've been working on getting enough health and energy so that I can actually do music-work. I want to treat the Casio VL-1 and DM-100 to good honest video reviews/articles that skip bullshit and go straight to what they sound like raw and then through effects, and for the sampler-side of the DM-100 how well it can be replicated by software or modern hardware.

And then to spend a few days making patches for the VL-1 (OH YOU BETTER HABEEB IT) and sampling the hell outta it. So good and clean. Same for the DM-100 buuuuuuuut I lost gigabytes of rare, original, never shared samples and jam recordings with my backup HD so there goes :effort:.

And then I want to get a portable recorder and record whatever wherever for making chilled spacy progressive poo poo with. F bad health and losing data. Had quality recordings of footsteps in snow complete with the crunchiness that makes some spines shiver. What a depressing event for an audiofan. Damnitall.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of FM, caught this on my regular site

Hopefully it was a rescue of a keybed-busted Korg 707 and not an affront to god.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here (at least vinyl's cool again!), but I strongly advise against buying M-Audio. Some of their hardware is poo poo, and their drivers suck balls, and the worst of all is, their support is abysmal, they're apparently just bad people? Anyway that's been "don't buy M-Audio", episode 14, I'm your host wayfinder, see you next time I see someone considering getting M-Audio gear.

My M-Audio soundcard requires me running a batch-file (see below) to restart it at least once a day and the digital I/O doesn't even work in Win7(x64) and I wish I had an alternative and I hate it

net stop "AudioSrv"
net stop "AudioEndPointBuilder"
net start "AudioSrv"
net start "AudioEndPointBuilder"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you were gonna spend <$600 on a MIDI keyboard, what would you buy?

A goddamn Kurzweil K2000 to use as a midi keyboard, that's what. (semi-weighed keyboard action)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Startyde posted:

Over $600 is k2661 territory :v:
Traded my old 2500S for one and it's extremely needs suiting.

For every 2661 I've seen there's been 13 K2000VP :argh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

If you're lucky your fingers and nerves don't care about the keybed beyond its style and weight.

*carefully glues buckyballs to the underside of keys aaaah that's better*

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

For the price of the ReFace DX I could buy an FS1R :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

krysmopompas posted:

and ended up with an ms2000br for less than $300.

I need to get one of those again, great fun units. The kind of gear I can keep and not just make a load of sample-banks out of then offload because it was made obsolete.

(The FS1R deals are in Sweden, which hasn't escaped the gearslutzy RAA RAA ROLAND BUTT-BOTIQUE RAA madness unscathed)