Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I can tell you what mineral something is by licking it.

On a whim I bought a Volca Bass and a midi keyboard, how hosed am I?

Just kidding. Seriously, I have not messed with music for a while and I thought this would be a fun and cheap way to get started with analog synth. I has been looking at a x0xb0x box and watching documentaries on the TB-303, but all the options seemed too expensive. I have a habit of ditching hobbies, I didn't want to go out and buy something really expensive only to let it gather dust. So I got the Bass. It isn't exactly a 303 but it's neat for the money. I considered the Keys but this one seemed simpler, and learning this one should make learning the others easier.

Is there a consensus on the Volca series among you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

So far, this sums up my synth experience:

Hard Synth (Korg Volca bass)
1. Open box
2. Put in batteries
3. Press key
4. Beeps come out, yay!

Soft Synth ( Komplete Elements with Reaktor player and Kontact)
1. Install Komplete. takes 45 mins.
2. Update Komplete, takes 45 mins
3. Struggle with getting midi keyboard and audio out to work
4. Midi works, adio doesn't
5. Audio works, is scratchy. Restart Reaktor, YAY BEEPS.
6. Start up kontact, try to set up audio, crashes
7. It crashes on startup several times in a row
8. starts up, try to get it to play over the right audio channels agin.
9. GOTO 6.

gently caress.

ALL the DAW's are like 400$ plus for the full version, if they are as annoying as Komplete I'll put off getting one as long as possible.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 4, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I see what you're trying to say but it's completely not the same thing at all. The TB303 was created by Roland to give musicians a mechanical bass player they could practice with the same way the drum machine gave musicians a mechanical drummer they could practice with. It sucked for that purpose and no one bought it which it why it became so accessible to techno artists. They didn't buy it because it was a 303, they bought it initially because it was one of the cheapest things in the store and it had a lot of buttons.

This was kind of my reasoning for buying a Volca bass instead of a x0xb0x. The Bass is not exactly a 303, but it's so much cheaper than the x0xb0x, and that made the difference for me. It might miss on some of the key points of 303 sound (no accent, not as peaky) but it can do a lot of things the 303 can't for a bargain price.

I might get a x0xb0x in the future but Bass synths are the lowest priority since I have one.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Hi guys. I bought a Volca keys and am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself wanting a different sound than I can currently get out of that or the Volca bass.

So I went window shopping at Guitar Center, and after some (lovely, half competent) help played with some of the more highly recommended analog synth's . The Korg MS-20 mini, Arturia MiniBrute, and the Moog Sub Phatty. They all seemed to get the best sounds down low, not up higher like I was looking for, and they all seemed to do harsh/gritty better than smooth. Maybe it was just me. I liked the Moog the most and the Korg the least, although I didn't get to play with the patch bay on that one. But I like one synth better than all of them and it was (ugh) digital.

It was a Roland Gaia SH-01. Now I figured out part of it- it had some effects on and they helped. Maybe I could get that with the keys. The other part was the tons of different wave forms it had since it is analog emulation. I also liked the feel of the keys.

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 2, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

A 500$ interface for 500$ software. You can't just buy monarch and play it with that, you have to buy Komplete.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Swagger Dagger posted:

This isn't actually true, you can buy Monark whenever you want.

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag. The lights above the keys showing chords and scales is kinda cool but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels and, again, it costs 600 goddamn dollars.

I'm pretty happy about them adding an arpeggiator in Maschine 2.2 though.

Not with that keyboard, it (the keyboard) only works with Reaktor, not Reaktor Player.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

quote:

Also, I agree with you that the Arturia only does bass really well (why I'll be selling mine when it gets back) but the Moog and especially the Korg? Try doing things like putting some delay in the attack and release of the envelope, adding a hint of portamento, and messing with the resonance and not cutting the low pass filter completely to really make them sing outside of bass sounds. Also, try the Ultranova. It's like the microkorg but better in pretty much every way imaginable, has lots of effects, plus it not only has external in (which you can route through the filters and effects, but they also act as a 2in4out audio interface which will save you like $200.

I tried as much of that as I could with the Volca Keys and it did make it sound better up high. I've been looking around for an Ultranova but all I could find to play with was a BassStation at Guitar Center. They seem to have every microkorg made in recent memory, including an all black one though.

Other than that, I've been playing with Komplete Elements, which came with my midi controller. I've got what it came with and most of what can be downloaded free, and I've decided I like Carbon 2 and Photone the best of that bunch. If I were to get Reaper or another DAW, are there any free must-have .vst's you could recommend?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It's my Birthday this month, and I've gotten some cash to combust. I can add my own and or expect the odd 100$ from other sources, but I got 600$ plus maybe 200$ total.

I'm looking at the MiniNova, UltraNova and Waldorf Pulse 2. Or possibly just a better midi controller (I have a Samson carbon 49, it's an iffy keyboard and not much else) and some software.

Has anybody tried the Pulse 2?

I guess the main thing that has me all indecisive is liking the layout of mono synths, but the features of poly/digital synths.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

BKPR posted:

Dunno what you're looking into, but as someone who took some (unhelpful) theory classes, Michael Hewitt's Music Theory For Computer Musicians is loving great. Dude just gets right to the point on each topic and actually explains why things are usually done the way they are. It actually got me excited about learning this poo poo.

Most useful "buy this" suggestion itt. I'm finding this way more useful than a piano book I bought. I guess it's because it explains stuff in the context of the whole keyboard rather than just learn this piece for this exercise. That and assuming you are either working from a DAW or a MIDI controller or both.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Fun (no, boring actually) fact: Synth1 uses (or at least used to) a pseudo-random generator for a noise signal. PSRNs re-set when they're re-triggered, and guess what osc sync does :v:

Man, my cs teacher in 10th grade taught us to always pull from the clock for seeds. That doesn't fix everything but it helps. It's surprising how often people don't re-seed properly when it might be noticed.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

net work error posted:

Someone condensed this thread into a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMZ2vV0zqg

It's got to be said that that is taken from a 68 minute video, and he doesn't say synthesizer nearly as much as you'd expect given how many he has.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Anybody know what expression does on a Volca keys? Is it aftertouch, or pressure sensitivity or what? It's only mentioned in the MIDI chart and not in the extremely short and lovely manual.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Has anyone tried the KORG Taktile line of controllers? I didn't realize that some of the versions of this controller came with the Triton engine built in. I'm looking for a good DAW integrated keyboard controller with sounds built in (I don't got space for JUST a MIDI controller). I wouldn't normally consider Triton sounds in my music but there are some classic sounds in there like the M1 Organ (which I currently use the Electribe for). I typically am impressed with KORG's products and sound though so I'm thinking this might be up my alley. Any feedback on the feel of the keys, sound of the sounds, and overall impression of the Taktile controllers?

I'm not the most experienced person here, but I bought a Taktile 49 and here are my thoughts. First, I like the keys, they are springier/heavier than most so If you like a light feel, go elsewhere. Mine doesn't have sounds but I prefer using plugins or my Volcas anyways. Mine has an arpeggiator, which is nice, and the touch pad can be used as a mouse with the touch of a button. There are presets for a bunch of DAWs (not Reaper lol) and a bunch of spaces for more midi maps, etc. It comes with the Korg legacy collection but I installed the MS-20 from that and I can't get it to load it's sound engine at all. That all said I pretty much got it for the way the keys feel and all the knobs/pads, anything else is icing.

Also I bought the Volca Beats so now I have em all. I also bought a Monotron Delay, but I really wanted a Kaos pad. Anyway, the main point was to have a delay on the Bass, and for that it works fine. The delay and feedback settings are much more extreme than on the keys, and there is a lot of hiss above 60% feedback.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Ah that's good to know. I can't find a patch list anywhere for the Taktiles. There's definitely a Triton patch list for the Triton series but I doubt all those sounds come in the Taktile package. Having the PCM samples is fine for me honestly, as long as it makes some kind of sound I find desirable and isn't just a controller that takes up PRECIOUS STUDIO SPACE!

It says on Korg's site that all 512 Triton patches come with it.

Personally, I felt I wouldn't use the sounds, especially if I can't really tweak them. There's hundreds of presets on all the free and paid Synth's I have. I don't care whether they are in the controller or not. I was kinda considering an UltraNova as an alternative but no one here had one I could play with.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 22, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I know it's supposed to sound like a nasty tape delay. I just didn't expect it to white out whatever I just played until I turned the feedback up higher. At that level I can only see using it before a drop or at the end of a song.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

OK, I followed you guys into this rabbit hole and now I have a bunch of synths and a MIDI controller. SO How do I put it all together? USB audio and MIDI interfaces look like the way to go, but they are costly and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

It looks like I need an audio interface with a bunch of unbalanced ins- any recommendations?
For midi, I need multiple outs for the Volcas. I only have 1 on my Taktile.

I almost thought about getting a cheap mixer but that would be really lovely to record from and probably isn't a long term solution.

TL/DR how do I tie all this poo poo together?

EDIT: yes I realize there is a thread on interfaces already but all the people with piles of synth's to interface are here.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 24, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

java posted:

After having a microbrute for maybe all of 6 months, I've decided that what I really need is an MS-20. This is how it begins isn't it? This is the start of my impeding slide into further poverty and sleeping in a nest of patch cables.

But do you need an MS-20 Mini or the MS-20 Kit that is full size and costs twice as much. As an added bonus, you have to assemble it yourself, giving it it's own unique brokenness!

At least you get to set the jumper for early or late MS-20 filter implementations yourself, woo!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well I got the Korg official MS-20 plugin to work in Reaper, so the Taktile goes up in my estimation since it comes with the Korg legacy collection and some other poo poo too.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

david mammoth posted:

I don't own one so take this with as many grains of salt as necessary but I think the Triton taktiles come with a bunch of preset Triton PCMs as opposed to the engine as such, though presumably the M1 organ/piano etc. will be among those so that may not matter to you.

All Taktiles come with Korg's M1 program and plugin,so if you get the Triton you get it twice.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

java posted:

So, uh, anyone have an MS-20 they are looking to get rid of?

Why not just buy one of the new ones, the MS-20 mini or MS-20 Kit? A quick ebay check suggests vintage and new prices are bout the same, less for the mini really.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm in the process of saving up for and shopping for my next synth (who isn't?). I have a midi controller I like, so I'm looking for a desktop synth. I want something more powerful than the Volcas I have. Features I'm looking for include:

-Polyphony/Paraphony
-More oscillator waveforms than a Volca (3+)
-Multimode filter a big plus
-Digital controls & patch memory
- < $1500

So here are the synths I've found worth considering:

Dave Smith Instruments Tetra
Elektron Analog 4
Waldorf Blofeld
Waldorf Pulse 2

Any other suggestions?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give the Access virus synths a listen. I'm not too big on used gear so they may be out of reach. The Mutable Ambika may be a little too out there for me. I'll look at the DSI Poly Evolver too.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Since you have Volca's maybe look at the King Korg?

Yes it's VA but from the list it didn't look like you had a problem with that.

Plus with CV gate out you can sync your Volca's with it.

Well if I bought a King Korg I'd feel like an rear end because my midi controller has the same semi-weighted keys. Of course, it still has a chance because I know I like the keys and that's a big plus to me. The analog CV/out doesn't mean much though- - if I use the MIDI out on the KK for a Volca that sync wins by default. (I think it can be changed though).

MicroKorg? Um no. Not even the special edition black demo the local GC has on sale.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

On the subject of synth Christmas songs, this is my least favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMhMekfIyos

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

BKPR posted:

Bit disappointed in how the RW sounds comparatively, but I'll still pick one up over the Volcas. There's a handful of things about it I like, but chiefly I can't imagine trying to play the Volcas. I got one of the original Monotrons, and it's the least gratifying thing to play with.

Kinda feel like he did a poor job matching the two though. Volcas always come through louder, and there's definitely a difference in synth filter settings on that first pattern.

Even with the built-in keyboard, the Volcas play so much differently and better than the Monotrons they are not even really comparable. I can understand hating the keys if you hate the Monotron knobs but the Bass doesn't use those for a lot of important features.

I think one of the Volca's strong suits is that you can just pick one up, plug in some headphones and play with it while you're waiting for a plane or bus or whatever.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Does anyone know of of the top of their head if Nick Blatt/SonicState has ever given a synth a bad review?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks for the replies, I only ask because he positively reviewed a synth that was pretty heavily shat upon here (Roland Gaia).

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I could be making "music" but instead I posted this.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Gah, I think I'm adding the Electribe 2 to my "might be the next thing I buy" list.
It's something portable I could play live on and it does a lot of the things I'm looking for. It' doesn't look as flexible as far as sound creation goes compared to a lot of proper synths but it still does a lot.

And I'd still get to keep my Korg fanboy star.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Electribe posted:

Maximum Polyphony
24 voices*1 (Pseudo-polyphonic*2)

Number of parts

Sampling Frequency
48.0 kHz

Number of Oscillator Types

Number of Filter types

Number of Modulation types

Memory Capacity
250 patterns

Insert effects
38 types

Master effects
32 types

Electribe Sample posted:

Maximum Polyphony
24 voices *1 (Pseudo-polyphonic *2)

Number of parts

Sampling Frequency
48.0 kHz

Number of Sound Samples
Up to 999 (Includes User)

Number of Filter types

Number of Modulation types

Memory capacity
250 patterns

Insert effects
38 types

Master effects
32 types

From the reviews I've watched and the specs, basically the Electribe is a synthesizer groove box and the Electribe Sampler is a sampler groove box. From the sepecs (if tldr;) the Electribe has more filters and probably oscillators, that stuff is replaced by sampling space on the Electribe Sampler.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, I've been staring at those lists for a while and couldn't really parse it. The filters thing I missed and is a bit of a bummer. If otherwise the synth engine really is the same and it's just a matter of exchanging (some/most) factory pcm for user samples, then the electribe sampler is decidedly the better deal for me.

I don't think the lists cover all the difference, but my suspicion is that there are a lot less oscillators on the sample. I could be wrong though. Maybe it has all the same VA oscillators, I dunno.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Startyde posted:

Electribe is out in glorious nippon. Some dude's demo, he's also got unboxing and ableton export vids. I hope the four voice polyphony he showed can be overcome, like dedicating voices to a particular part in a menu or something.

Well it says in the fine print on the spec sheet that it's pseudo polyphony and that filters and other elements can take up voices. I don't see why you couldn't add a second part with the same voice, it would just take up more of your maximum voices.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Trust me when I say that one cat out of three is more than enough for a Monotron.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

AxeBreaker posted:

I could be making "music" but instead I posted this.

When my cat sits around the synth he really sits around the synth.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Is it just me, or is there a very narrow range on the filter of a Volca Bass where it sounds at all acidy? It's like it's only slightly resonant or totally squeaky, with very little room in between. Every TB-303 recording i've heard seems a lot more expressive.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

gently caress Monotrons, get the kids a couple of modules :classiclol:

No, get them volcas, or that thing for the DS or MS-20 for iPad if they have one.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

So I checked up on the ship date on the Electribe Santa pre-ordered for me from sweetwater and for those that ordered early enough, it's tomorrow. Yay!
I hope it can push me into making actual songs or coherent jams instead of endlessly loving with 16 part Volca loops over really boring drums.

The Volca sequencers are kinda like the RMX-1 with the balls cut off, right? Well, they have some new features but only 8 memory slots and no patch memory or anything.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Sizone posted:

Not even remotely. They're more akin to the sequencers on Tb-303s. One track (or maybe 2 or 3), no real editing capabilities, no display, no a lot of things. You can do with an rm1-x pretty much what ever you can do with a software midi sequencer.

KORG posted:

Loop sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
・Step Sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
・Slide function that’s indispensable for acid and other types of electronic music
・Active Step function generates new bass lines by removing or inserting steps - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_bass/#sthash.Z3K0xj1C.dpuf

Lol "Distilled".That's what I meant by "with the balls cut off" They have way less parts (one on the keys, 3 on the Bass, 10 on the Beats) and 8 memory slots instead of like 256. Way smaller, way less features. Lots of shared tech, that's why Volcas are so cheap.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I have news that my Electribe has shipped.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've been reading over Korg's terrible electribe documentation:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=717

I don't see any way to set it up to sequence another device as part of a pattern. there is a global MIDI channel setting, but I don't see any way to transmit only 1 part, or assign a channel to a part. let along different channels to different parts. Of course, I could be wrong, Korg manuals never tell you all you need to know.

But if it could work it would be great to incorporate Volca sounds into my noodling/jams with better sequencing.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Donk, New Nrg, Stupid House, HardTrance, it's all pretty obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The electribe has arrived!
I can't play with it yet, because Jesus/Saturnalia/Santa or whatever.