Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a Yamaha digital piano that I’ve been using as, well, a piano but it also has a digital out that I’ve hooked to my iPad to have some fun with different effects and recordings.

I’d like to toy with a beat machine to eventually add but don’t want to spend a lot just to try it out. You guys like Teenage Engineering/Pocket Operators? They seem like a fun inexpensive way to test the water.

E: The arcade one is my favorite sounding.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! I was eyeballing the Speak so if I can figure out the Arcade that’ll be my next one.

Question two, is there an easy way to run the 3.5 port/out of a PO into an iPad for recording? I’m assuming I can’t run it straight into the headset jack and I’ll need some kind of powered interface?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I came here 2.5 years ago to ask about pocket operators and ended up with a PO20 Arcade. I think I picked an awesome starter.

I’ve been in quarantine this week so I decided to step it up and got the PO12 Rhythm to take the drums so the Arcade can prioritize bleep bloops and effects. I then decided I want to lift small voice clips off vinyl to throw in so the PO35 Speak is out for deliver today.

These things are fun but I’m worried they’re a gateway to spending the big bucks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rutibex posted:

Just buy an OP-1 and get it over with

I want one but

1) I’m not good enough at this stuff to utilize it.

2) The other thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a whim I plugged my PO into my Realtek line-in on my PC and I'm able to use the base Windows voice recorder to pick it up while recording but I'd like something that could record the inpout while outputting through my desktop speakers what is being recorded.

Any recommendations?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
REAPER is already doing exactly what I was looking for and more, thanks for recommending it! Guess I'm gonna buy it when my license comes due.

Quick PC question, is there a difference between the 3.5mm MIC in on the front of my case and the 3.5mm LINE-IN directly off the motherboard? Am I giving up stereo or quality by using the more convenient plug on the front?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the line-in chat, I figured something was different in the input signal between the ports but never knew what.

Got my po35 Speak in today and I'm having a harder time than I was hoping getting the mic to pull voices from anything. Even when I talk directly into it it's barely legible. Might be a bad mic or me just expecting too much but I'm thinking about taking it as a sign and swapping clean for a 33 KO. If I really want to tweak voices I could just do it on something else and send it to the 33 anyways, plus it seems like something I could use to sample beats from old vinyl, which sounds fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Voice of Labor posted:

at some point in time you will want a nice synth. nice synths aren't necessarily super expensive. my first nice synth was a tg-77, it cost around $400 back in 2003 or 2004 which was a huge sum back when I was making minimum wage. adjusted for inflation it's still not a trivial amount of money even now that I'm labor aristocracy. the moral though is that, other than the rm1x which I picked up a year or two later, it's been diminishing returns since then. if you're piecemealing a setup together with pocket operators, it might be a better idea to just square away, like, $400-$600 and get a good groove box or an mpc or a workstation synth. you'll still be nagged by the inner voice of GAS but you can tell it to shut up because you have more than enough voices to make music

Yeah maybe. The unofficial plan is to play with the PO-33 and if I like it as intended return the 35. I love my Arcade and it’s never going anywhere, but I also wanted to dabble with more beat options and sampling. If it really sticks I may end up looking at real stuff at that point.

What’s a good beginner synth if I want keys and a sequencer built in? Something like the Minilogue?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Pigments + a Microfreak is so lush, it's almost like they were made for each other.
I prefer the workflow of Pigments to Serum definitely, it's so easy to see what modulators are doing what in Pigments.
Which just makes me sadder about Massive X because it has so much potential but that gui is just bleh incarnate compared to the cleanliness of OG massive.

I was looking at a Microfreak yesterday. Would anyone recommend it as a first synth coming off from Pocket Operators?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man, the OP-33 K.O. is so stinking cool. I wish I bought one of these a year ago. I’m walking around my place hitting things against other things to see what it sounds like.

I still have my piano, guitar, banjo, turntable, vinyl. So many sounds to pull.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think it’s exactly what I needed. I felt overwhelmed trying to shop for synths but now I’m just sitting here making beats. I think this thing will end up helping me narrow down what I want next.

I sampled a C key on my piano into the melodic section and boom, 16 piano sounds. Yell “AYYYOOO” into it, mess with the pitch, throw it in. Took a recording from Robocop into the drum section and now I have a ton of his walking/servo sounds.

I’m having just too much fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chaosbreather posted:

There are no business trombones.

I like this sentence and will be using it before I die.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Giving the CA-X Pocket Operator case a C-. The cutout isn’t flush with the screen edges, battery covers don’t hold well and it just doesn’t feel like something that cost 30-40 bucks.

I’m gonna keep it on cause this thing is gonna be going in my travel bag but I wish there were nicer options.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any gripes with the Akai MPK Mini? Thinking about picking one up to make some beats at my desk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I keep looking at everything but I think I want an OP-1.

Has anyone here regretted spending for an OP-1?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Portability definitely isn’t a requirement but it would be a big bonus. I travel for work so putting it in my bag (in a case) sounds awesome.

I’m heading to Guitar Center today to look. The kid on the phone said none of the things I listed were on display but we could open some boxes and try some stuff.

He sounded bored.

Edit: specifically looking at the minilogue, microfreak and op-1. The last one I don’t see coming out of the box for me to hold it but we’ll see.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 31, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK about that, I only paid $3500 for my E36 a decade ago

Ugh jealous. I’ve been trying to find a 36 m3 or 46 wagon and the prices are through the roof.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I finally bought a synth after toying around in the store. I got the Minilogue. I’ve been watching some tutorials and I just had my first “holy poo poo I gotta save this sound” moment. I’m stumbling into some super fun 80’s horror tones.

I’ve gotten the tempo sync to work when outputting to my PO-12 but I can’t get the mini’s audio to pass through it. All I get is the PO audio at the mini’s tempo. Im starting to assume the output sync 1/8 on the mini simply doesn’t include the audio, so tomorrow I’m gonna try a breakout adapter to include the standard audio output port with the sync-out. Who knows if that’ll be it but I know people have gotten it to work somehow

My goal is to do 2 things. Have the mini sync with my PO-12 audio so I can use its sequencer to throw easy drum beats behind what I play on the synth. I also want to get stereo output working properly to these so I can send some of these cool new tones to my PO-33. The idea of sampling this big guy to the KO and throwing it in my bag to sequence later makes me excited.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anything simple and cheap you’d recommend? I didn’t consider quality loss doing it my way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does your brain get better at remembering melodies with practice?

I’ll think of a cool drum sequence and by the time I find the first sound it’s gone. Maybe I just need to get faster at putting stuff down so I can tweak it later.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s the Volca Modular for something portable and educational? I want to dip my toes in learning module sound while being able to take it to the couch with me.

Watched the Korg tutorial series on it and it seems like something I’d like toying with.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

inferis posted:

How big are your fingers, it uses those tiny little jumper cables and the patch points are very very close together

I used to work on airplane avionics in cramped spaces so wiring small points won’t bother me at all. The compact size and battery power of the unit is what’s driving me to it over bigger modulars. I don’t have much space so I’m a fan of stuff I can take with me into another room or keep in a drawer when I’m not using it.

I’ll have a bigger place soon enough and then I’ll be able to dedicate a desk to some kind of giant spaghetti setup.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went to a little shop to get the Volca Modular and they had an open-box Volca Keys. Seems to be mint and all the buttons work so I got them to let me have it for 100 bucks.

That’s it. No more music spending for at least a day or two.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: As soon as I posted I randomly fixed the problem I was having with REAPER.

To actually contribute a thought, I think this Keys was a floor model. It’s in great shape and has the original sketch-brand batteries in it, but every single saved pattern is 3 seconds of silence followed by the scariest screech. I’m going to save one of them and make something of it. Something.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 6, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a whim I threw Korg’s DS-10 software onto a homebrewed Nintendo 2DS I had kicking around and this is much better than I expected it to be. Having a tiny touch screen and stylus to work the sequencers and KAOSS pad is just so much fun.

I’m having such a hoot with this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

field balm posted:

I've heard tell of syncing them with a volca by playing a drum click track into the sync input but have not tried myself

I have both so I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Speaking of syncing, has anyone here tried the Ninjam plugin for Reaper? My buddy a few cities over has some equipment and we thought it would be cool to write something live together. I’d be hosting the server with a fiber connection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

guys, DS-10 has been out on iPhone and I think Android for like 6 years. You don't have to go dig out or buy a DS unless you wanna also load a flash cart up with Gameboy and DS ROMs and game on the sucker

Yeah I got this a month ago to catch up on a generation of games I missed. I just happen to see KORG in the rom list and ended up pleasantly surprised with it.

I’m also surprised how good some DS games are. All in all a good purchase.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
One of my neighbors happened to have a Moog bag in the elevator the other day so we chatted and it turns out their factory is 2 hours from me. You can tour the place and play with stuff and I wanna go.

While leaving my entire loving wallet in a time activated safe in the car.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I haven’t gone yet, I was saying I wanna go.

I’m gonna when I get back home at the end of the month. I’ll take my own pics then.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My dual Volca stand came in from Etsy. Fancy lookin IMO.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 14, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Goon Meet 2022 can be in NYC at Adorama

So what you guys are too good for the middle of the woods now?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A MIRACLE posted:

Bought a po33 thanks thread

Freaking love mine. If it’s your first pocket operator then a YouTube video will take you further faster than the printed instructions.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I love mine. Sampling stuff from all over directly to the unit is addicting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I took something that isn’t polyphonic (like a monologue) and used it as a midi out to something poly (like a volca keys) I could play chords on the volca using the physical keyboard of the monologue, right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can anyone recommend a small rechargeable battery-powered speaker with a 3.5 input? I'd use it to push louder PO/Volca sound out at the coffee table and anywhere I don't feel like running power or unwinding headphones. Doesn't need to be totally amazing sound quality, more just for fiddling with beats.

I have a bluetooth UE speaker with an input but it has features I can't turn off, like going to sleep after like 30 seconds of no sound and not waking back up until several seconds of playback. Also it's been going every day for 6 years and could use retirement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve had a Bluetooth+line in Anker speaker for 3 years now that I really like.

Saw reviews for one after posting here and now I'm sold. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How was a Seaboard to play? I think they look cool but also like something that would be in an ad next to impossibly fitted hooded anime jackets or a glow in the dark ant farm.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here that enjoys the PO-33 workflow move up to an OP-Z at some point? I've been watching some videos on it and it looks like its just a big fun pocket operator.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm thinking more and more that a 1 or Z is on the horizon. I enjoy learning synthesis with my Korg stuff but there is just something happening when I pour a glass of gin, grab my KO or Arcade with some studio headphones and just throw down some grooves. It puts me in a zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:yeah:

I got a promotion this week that kicks in Monday. They usually happen every 3 or so years and involve a month of training in another state. I like to get myself a present as a congrats and to have something other than manuals to play with in the hotel.

Last time it was a Switch and some games, this time it’s probably gonna be a Z/1. Just deciding which kind of workflow I’m going to enjoy more coming from PO’s, Volcas and a Minilogue.

Edit: got an OP-1. That’s gonna be it, no more gear for awhile.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 3, 2021