Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I miss the pictures.

So I need something to record my synths with. I guess just get one of those 8 track thingies? I don't want to use my computer because its in another room and poo poo.

There was one posted in the last thread but I can't remember it to save my life. It was like 400 dollars or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Radiapathy posted:

Nice OP, OP.

Probably thinking of the Zoom R8 or R16.

Yeahhh that's the stuff. Thanks!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I need drums. I know it. Problem is, I really need a drum machine/sequencer to program them, my brain is too dumb to make use of drum sounds on a keyboard, especially since I don't have a recording device atm and trying to just use the sequencer + lfo on the microbrute isn't cutting it.

I'm leaning toward elektron stuff since it all looks like it'll work with my workflow brainflow. I like the blofeld... I think. It almost feels too deep, my microbrute feels so safe. It's like paddling around in the shallow end, compared to the black abyss at the end of the pool with the diving board and the roving vacuum.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just tell them this is the kind of "music" you make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2-P8hG5-E

See if they ask again.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VoodooXT posted:

I've never used my Blofeld for drum sounds, but honestly, it's not that difficult a synth to wrap your head around, and this is coming from a guy who's just had it for about a week and really dove head first into robot fart noise making. Compared to my Virus C, the Blofeld is a Microbrute.

Also, guys, convince me not to buy a JD-990.

I just get lost in all the modulation stuff. I also don't play with it enough. I have the oscillators, filters, and lfos locked down I think.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow, kick rear end studio Rotten. I love the write up. All your gear has a story, which makes it as awesome as it is.

My poo poo ain't that great... So here's a blown out picture because I'm lazy.

Ensoniq ESQ1 is the master platform for the Blofeld. Microbrute up on the case with the Behringer 1207FX mixer. It's something like that. DP4 underneath, with an unused switch.

I like the DP4, but I'd love to get my hands on a space echo too. I like the tape deck idea, sounds neat. I want novelty poo poo like that hanging around, and I constantly see it at my local electronics recycling store.

(The cookies are Samoas, aww yeah.)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha I want another keyboard up there. I used to have the stand at standing height, which let me use a piece of plexiglass I had for the top shelf. Let me see the poo poo I was tweaking under neath. It's too short now so I just kinda hangs out.

I want a moog sub 37. Ooo yeah. Too bad I can't buy anything until I make at least 8 tracks. I'm so bad at this.

I got tagalongs, samoas, and thin mints. The only cookies worth buying.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I found a patch on the blofeld that my headphones can't hear cause it's so fuckin' bassy. I don't remember making it, but maybe I did?

The only notes I can hear on my keyboard are the last three... ON THE RIGHT. Sounds like my cans are gonna shake apart.

Sick. :getin:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Now I'm thinking maybe I could get an ipad to solve my recording needs, while maybe grabbing some synth apps while I'm at it. Like the korg gadget and etc.

With the Alesis io dock (and appropriate connector) I assume this would be pretty painless? I mean... If I'm gonna be dropping 300 dosh on a zoom recorder...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone want a Blofeld Desktop? No scratches, no weird encoders, and for some reason, it came with a bunch of extra plugs. (I seem to remember one of them not even fitting the wart, so be warned I guess) No SL license upgrade though.

I'd rather avoid dealing with ebay and junk...

$350 shipped? As long as its in the 48 states, otherwise I can work something out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just for curiosity, what's your post code? You can PM me. I'll keep it in mind.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Flightaware.com is either the worst or the best thing for tracking your shipped packages. It depends on if you like knowing exactly where your poo poo is or not. :negative:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's sick I wanna be Richard Devine.

I like that he explains it all too, real nice.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I pretty much want all the Elektron products. poo poo is rock solid and awesome.

I got an ipad, and have been screwing around with korg gadget. I have a huge wish-list of synths, but hopefully I can force myself to actually make a song for once with gadget.

Gotta do something...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think mine is like 8900. :suicide:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjoewe posted:

If I was going to spend 1200 EUR on something Vintage, I'd rather get a Mono/Poly :fh:

Does any one here ever played/owned a Oberheim OB-12?
One came up for sale locally and I just looks so tempting with all them knobs and sliders...

It's up to you to get it. Then when someone else sees a sick ob-12 deal, you can say yesss

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Blofeld doesn't have a patronizing knob that says "dubstep"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ming mecca better come out or else

incase lurkers havent heard of it: http://www.specialstagesystems.com/world/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ay74S34XI

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So it looks like the alesis io 2 is out for lightning iPads. Any experience?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm glad the country who invented the guillotine and had (has?) a national anthem about sowing wheat fields with blood from their enemies takes such a hard stance on moral issues.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just get an ipad and Alesis case.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thinking I might get the focusrite itrack dock thing for my ipad air. Especially since I guess the alesis 2 dock doesn't even fit the air, dumb.

I mean, I'm sure I could pad it out, but gently caress it. Might as well get the thing that works right out of the box.

Anyone have any experience with this? I convinced myself I wanted the ipad air to record my other synths and use the digital synths on it. Since I've put off buying the dock, the truth has been revealed with bejeweled scores and netflix season finales.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kickstarted the dumb (awesome) tuna knobs thing. The capacitive knobs for iPads. Gonna be awesome.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjoewe posted:

I can start-up a computer. :frogc00l:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think I don't know how to make music cause everything I make is just a loud repeating whirring noise and I can't understand phases of a song or how to create them or anything.

It's annoying cause it's like I need just a little guidance and some switch will flip over in my brain and I'll "get it"

I can gently caress with synthesizers, I understand how they work, but when it comes to making sequences that feed into other sequences, I'm lost. Programming drums? No idea. Do I use the same beat forever? Do I just make it up?

I get tons of cool sounds or noises loving around, but can't utilize them at all unless I want a droning 2 minute track on soundcloud. :v:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ynohtna posted:

There are no rules. What's wrong with making cool sounds and noises and droning 2 minute tracks?

Keep on expressing yourself in the way that is most true to yourself. Don't feel pressured to conform to some unicorn's dream of a Platonic ideal song form.

Anthony you're the man and my sound cloud hero so I'm very feeling this.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man I want the moog sub 37 and I might be able to sneak into getting one by the end of the month, but I haven't really squirreled the money away...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Samplr on iOS is the bomb poo poo. Its ui is what all the iOS synths should be emulating, instead of all this skeumorphic poo poo.

Anyway, I took Anthony's advice and made some dumb 2 minute thumps and drones using a voice clip from a snapchat and transposed to -28 octaves or something.

https://soundcloud.com/ziasquinn/somethings-outside-at-more

https://soundcloud.com/ziasquinn/chirps-groans-howls-at-samplr

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sizone posted:

Continue to be dead and gay and keep making stuff like that.

Ha definitely. It was a lot of fun. I almost got the chirps and stuff to sound like the metroid cries.

More experimentation is necessary.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Salivating about moog sub 37.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
IPad Air is real good and I justified it by selling my blofeld and getting waldorf nave

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

minidracula posted:

Wait, is this the same sale they were doing a little while back (in stores)? I missed out on that then, and was a little bummed by it.

In other news, from an email I got an hour ago...:

http://www.specialstagesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/PatchWithPossibility.png

http://www.specialstagesystems.com/modules/

I'm excited about this but poo poo it's steep. Not by modular standards...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ozmunkeh posted:

Bob's Knobs gets my vote.

This is great.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just snatched a moog sub 37 off ebay. drat.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't trust the pusher bot.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sub 37 makes warm fat noise and growling fat noise. It's good.

So weird going from the mini brutes vague rear end pots and the blofelds stepping to something so minute and beautiful.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So my sub 37 has like, a cracked key underneath the keyboard,

It doesn't interfere with anything but it wasn't a 300 bucks used synth too.. And one of the keys clicks at the top when you push it down all the way.

Super dumb because it doesn't feel like enough of an issue to return it and be without it, but then again it was a lot of money. Ugh.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Would I even get a new one soon? Like, it feels like I'd be put in the backorder list, blah. Only got this one cause I snagged it off ebay. It still has the manufacturers warranty though. I'll call moog tomorrow.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah for real. I'll definitely contact them about getting it fixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you can get it fixed under warranty, definitely do. You'd be cheating yourself out of a big chunk of the re-sale value if you didn't.

Keyboard or key swap shouldn't exactly be a complicated operation either.

Great news. I called Moog and talked with Nick in the tech department. Dude couldn't be nicer. He said I could ship it back to them at no charge, or he could ship the offending key to me and to walk me through it, which is super awesome and ideal. He even said if it comes on a saturday and he's not in work, I could call his cell. Obviously my main concern is not loving up my warranty incase something else shows up down the line. My friend has told me nightmare stories of trying to tech support stuff over the phone with people.

I assured him that I'd taken apart my ensoniq to replace the battery so it shouldn't be like leading a blind person by flashlight. He told me about an ensoniq he was working on getting fixed for a friend and got excited when I told him that a local shop had like six broken esq-1s. He cursed in excitement before asking what the shop's name was. Great guy.

drat is this what customer service is??? Blown away. I'm used to getting bored, rehearsed, patronization.

Definitely got me hooked on this poo poo. Now about a moogerfooger... are the delays really 800 dollars good? Or is that just the moog premium?