Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This is a terribly interesting thread. I don't have anything to contribute that you haven't already covered in much greater detail, but I wanted to say thanks for doing it.

Looking forward to you reaching Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've got such a love/hate relationship with Mists of Avalon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Put me down as another who loved TOaFK, and will defend it as being every bit as much a valid Arthurian legend as Le Morte d'Arthur. :hist101:

Now, when it comes to the delightfully bonkers theory that Jeeves from the Jeeves & Wooster stories is T.H. White's Merlin...

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 26, 2014

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wales: The Mabinogion

If you're looking for a pretty faithful modern retelling of these stories, Evangeline Walton wrote a fantastic tetralogy that's (in my opinion) been ignored and overlooked for way too long. She's an amazing fantasy writer that just never got the recognition of her contemporaries, had a brief renaissance in the 70s when Ballantine wanted more fantasy to publish after Lord of the Rings and Gormenghast, but has since kinda fallen off the radar again. With the Mabinogion, people always recommend Lloyd Alexander, and for good reason because his books are very good, but he changed so much from the original tales that they rather quickly stop being the Mabinogion. But if you want to know what the Welsh King Arthur would have been like, but without struggling through ancient poetry, Walton's got you hooked up.

• Locked thread