Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

glomkettle posted:

That's kind of weird.
It was to make the games more exciting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Just watched the whole of Kaiba on a long flight. At the beginning, I didn't really get all the hype, but holy poo poo does it deliver by the end. A beautiful series by a masterful director.

I'm going to start a huge binge on everything Yuasa, having only seen Cat Soup, Ping pong and now Kaiba. Anyone looking to create a Yuasa megathread? Surely he deserves one.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

sharktamer posted:

At the beginning, I didn't really get all the hype, but holy poo poo does it deliver by the end.

That's exactly how I felt about Tatami Galaxy. I'm in the middle of watching Kemonozume right now (just started, really), and as far as I know all I have left of his to watch after that is Mind Game and his short in Genius Party. I'll be pretty sad when there's nothing left of his to watch. :smith:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

glomkettle posted:

That's exactly how I felt about Tatami Galaxy. I'm in the middle of watching Kemonozume right now (just started, really), and as far as I know all I have left of his to watch after that is Mind Game and his short in Genius Party. I'll be pretty sad when there's nothing left of his to watch. :smith:

Kick-Heart, the "Food Chain" episode of Adventure time, Noiseman: Sound Insect, and the Noximilien L'horloger Wakfu Special all have Yuasa's touch and are all excellent. So is Cat Soup, but his work on that was less than the other things listed.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
An upcoming episode of Space Dandy is also directed by Yuasa.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

laplace posted:

Kick-Heart, the "Food Chain" episode of Adventure time, Noiseman: Sound Insect, and the Noximilien L'horloger Wakfu Special all have Yuasa's touch and are all excellent. So is Cat Soup, but his work on that was less than the other things listed.

Just watch all of Wakfu, it owns a whole bunch. Although the Nox special was really loving cool.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

laplace posted:

Seen all of those but Noiseman and the Wakfu Special, I'll definitely check them out.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

glomkettle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggc3nZYO2u4?t=38m56s

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 2, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I loving love this movie, I'm so glad someone else knows about it. It is a goddamn acid trip.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

laplace posted:

Oh I loving love this movie, I'm so glad someone else knows about it. It is a goddamn acid trip.

I grew up with Maruko-chan, so it's great to see this film getting around. There are also some amazing, tear-enducing episodes of the old TV show, too. (The one where the music teacher leaves gets me every time.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/intervie...vin-101497.html

Pretty neat interview with one of the staff about the background art. It's not something you hear a whole lot of words about but Ping Pong did have some pretty nice backgrounds!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please add your opinion to the ADTRWiki page for Ping Pong!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://vimeo.com/102103466

Short behind-the-scenes making of Ping Pong animation.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

aers posted:

http://vimeo.com/102103466

Short behind-the-scenes making of Ping Pong animation.
Watched it three times and I'm still not entirely sure how it all works. :psyduck:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I'm generally not a big anime fan. I'm familiar enough with the genre, as I read some manga, but rarely does the animated version translate well, or interest me. But I did like the artist from Black and White, so I gave it a shot.

I watched the entirety of Ping Pong The Animation, and absolutely loved it. Slice of life story about childhood friends growing up in the world of competitive ping pong... And it was the best series I've ever seen. Suffered from none of the cheap animation issues that plague a lot of the genre.

Could anyone recommend me an anime movie, series, or manga that's similar in tone? You know, well written reality-based stories?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tatami Galaxy (Yojou-han Shinwa Taikai)? It's by the same director as Ping Pong. It's not an exact match, because it's reality based but also very crazy. It's excellent though and if you liked Ping Pong you'll probably also like that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiNFZfaiH4

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

All of Yuasa's stuff is incredible and you should watch all of it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

All of Yuasa's stuff is incredible and you should watch all of it.

This.

If you're looking for reality based shows that are really good, try Kids on the Slope, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, or Chihayafuru.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

The Devil Tesla posted:

This.

If you're looking for reality based shows that are really good, try Kids on the Slope, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, or Chihayafuru.

Thanks the only reality based anime I can remember watching and liking is Ping Pong, Golden Boy and Grave of the Fireflies.

I'll check these out.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Kids on the Slope is ultimately pretty great, but I think recommending it should come with a warning that there are a couple of plot points that will probably make you god drat furious. And not in a good way, but in a "I can't believe someone wrote this poo poo" way.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

This.

Echoing Hyouka and Chihayafuru. Those were great.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Go watch Nodame Cantabile.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Celebrate the new avatar size limit with Ping Pong avatars!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Remind yall of anything?:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11280475&ex_cid=sportscenter

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That was great. :)

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Watched the whole show over two days. Took me a few minutes to get used to the style, never having seen anything from Yuasa before, but then I loved it.

A lot of sports anime are just shonen manga with a sports theme; same escalation in powers, techniques, next opponent is always stronger, losing might as well be dying, yadayada over-dramatisation. I didn't read anything about Ping Pong before watching it so my expectations were pretty off. I'm superhappy this was a totally different, more slice-of-life show. This show makes me happy, content, glad, and everyone should watch it.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
This is seriously the best anime I've ever watched, and the ending to episode 9 gave me shivers.

Hīrō kenzan
Hīrō kenzan!
Hīrō kenzan!

I want to get a hero Peco avatar but I'm not sure which scene...

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Millions posted:

This is seriously the best anime I've ever watched, and the ending to episode 9 gave me shivers.

Hīrō kenzan
Hīrō kenzan!
Hīrō kenzan!

I want to get a hero Peco avatar but I'm not sure which scene...

Watch the next episode and take my old Big Kazama av.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Welp I made my own, same scene though!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The OST is out, and it makes me incredibly happy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo what a beautiful anime. Many thanks OP because if it wasn't for you I would have missed this gem.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Has this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKt8Ct6oBmE) been made into an AMV with this series yet?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

turboraton posted:

Holy poo poo what a beautiful anime. Many thanks OP because if it wasn't for you I would have missed this gem.

Pretty much this. Because of the OP's link where Peko gets skunked, I was introduced and later enthralled by the animation and story. Even more so, Ping Pong brought me out of a bit of a funk that I was in, so, yeah, thank you very much for bringing this to light.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Glad yall loved as much as we do! Remember to check out Yuasa other work, like The Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, Kemonozume, and his movie Mind Game.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Kemonozume is my favorite anime and I recommend it to everyone.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I checked this out on a whim after clicking the link in Devil Tesla's avatar and I do not regret a loving thing. Burnt through the whole thing in a couple of days because I was enthralled by the characters. Fantastic show and you picked a great clip to put in your title to sell it to people.

Sublime presentation with a very unique style, the story was gripping and I was interested and invested in the story of every character as well as dealing with some interesting themes with a really strange but cool framing device in ping pong, I loved the music. Goddamn there is no end to my love for this show right now, thank you for exposing me to this.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

You know what to do now!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hay, this is cool: Funimation has put the entire series up on YouTube!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

TV

Blu-ray

The magic of no longer working to a close schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
But it takes away from some of that simple charm, doesn't it?

• Locked thread