Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was as good as I was hoping it would be. I do kind of miss Supercar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Holy poo poo this episode was great. I am going to need the music during Peko's comeback.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh god if this episode is this good how good will the finale be? So hype, so loving hype.

Gonna have the full version on the opening on repeat for a while. Oh, and yea the full version of the op is out!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3fgIdufiW4

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's impossible to not admire how well this show is put together.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
God drat, this show is almost good enough for me to buy the BD box

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't know what sort of evil magics have been conjured to make the best dang anime in many years, but hell, I'm glad of it. Everything about this week's episode was just perfect and I really can't wait to see it wrap up.

I'm really hoping that enough people have been watching the streams, since Funimation will probably decide if they'll do a physical release based on that. The odds are low but hell, I wanna believe!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Between this and Yuasa's Adventure Time episode there is so much new Yuasa today that every other day officially pales in comparison.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What a great episode. If I wasn't already sold on Peko's rebranding, this episode did it. This is a thing that I love about individual sports anime (and might love about individual sports if I cared?): the element of personal enjoyment. When you've got a whole team of suckers there's bound to be at least one spoilsport clown who's angsting about whether they win or lose like a huge wiener.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Srice posted:

I'm really hoping that enough people have been watching the streams, since Funimation will probably decide if they'll do a physical release based on that. The odds are low but hell, I wanna believe!
Good point. When I rewatch the show it'll be through funimation.

I'm just going to echo everyone's opinion that this episode was stunning. I feel like the reason this thread is so small is because there's not much more to say than "goddamn this show is good." This episode though just this episode went above and beyond the call of duty.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Enter the hero.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This show is good and has been good and dang

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I don't know if I should have put text on it but whatever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AOTFY

See, strictly speaking, not much happened this episode. But it was so well done and the emotions and tensions and pacing behind it were so solid that in the end, I was rooting for both of them at the end. Dragon is finally happy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That was some beautifully animated Ping Pong, goddamn.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yuasa is The Best, as always.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
This is probably the first anime in years where I've felt emotional when nothing that's "directly" sad or joyful is happening. I mean, it's ping pong, yet it's moving.

I think it's because I can't see the Smile vs. Peco match ending in any way other than a blown out knee worth of tragedy or Smile sandbagging like his teacher did and ruining the moment.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
These kinds of stories love to parallel current and past situations, but not the outcome. Peco and the Poseidon CEO appear to be fundamentally different people, I really don't think Peco would let Smile do anything but play his best hosed up knee or no hosed up knee.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of his. I never got into Kemonozume for whatever reason, but I've enjoyed Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game, and some of the short films he's worked on. (Looking at his Wikipedia article, it seems that he also did some animation for Welcome to the Space Show? That was a weird movie: the animation is nice (if slightly derivative of Ghibli), the alien and world designs are interesting, it starts out as a solid children's science-fantasy with relatable themes and characters in a range of age groups -- but everything just breaks down at the third act.)

If I'm following Ping Pong and really enjoying Tatami Galaxy, where should I go next in devouring Yuasa's work?

I'm so excited for the finale episode.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Gnossiennes posted:

If I'm following Ping Pong and really enjoying Tatami Galaxy, where should I go next in devouring Yuasa's work?

I'm so excited for the finale episode.

Kaiba and Kemonozume. They're both incredibly good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I guess this thread is only 9 pages long cause it's just a bunch of posts saying how good this show is and not arguing about silly thing.

I'm p ok with that.

This show is the Best Show.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah it's a hilarious fact of goondom (internet in general really) that something that is universally loved will generate about 1/10th the activity of something controversial or hated. It's always tortured me because I just wanna get excited about things I love with people on the internet but everyone is so mad all the time.

I just marathoned all of Ping Pong tonight after leaving it on the back burner for a while and man it's just so...good. I've been sad, mad, and glad and it just...it's super evocative and I love art that makes you feel. I'm simultaneously anticipating and dreading the finale because if it ends on a high note I will be super happy but if it has tragic or bittersweet ending I'm going to be a wreck.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Don't complain this has nine pages, thats plenty even for a headliner show.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The best part of this episode was not Peco. It was not the Hero appearing. It was the Dragon having fun. :unsmith:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I haven't watched anime in years but I gave this a shot based on some gifs and I'm really surprised by how much I like it. I expected Kong and Dragon to be stock villains but now they're my favorites. I'm loving the oddball animation as well.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This has gotta be the best sports anime ever right? I mean, sports anime suck in general but it still stands. This episode was just beautiful, the wrapping up of each of the characters arcs is just flawless.

Next episode, are we rooting for Peco or Smile? It's awesome that not only could it go either way, I'd be happy with whatever happens.

e: Everyone should watch the Yuasa Adventure time episode, even if you don't watch the show. It's pure Yuasa.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 14, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

We're rooting for Everyone. That's what the show has been trying to teach us to do all along. :unsmith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, seriously. I think the only unlikable character in this show is Kazama's grandpa.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm upset that I read the manga before watching this. This is a good example of the anime having all the benefits of the manga with some more positives added in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

teraflame posted:

I'm surprised reading early posts in this thread that there is still a stigma with ping pong. Like have they even seen pro table tennis? The play is absolutely amazing.

I wouldn't say I'm good, but I play enough ping pong to really appreciate the accuracy of the animation. I see an attack and anticipate some response, and then the other player goes and does it. Even if it's a really choppy bit in the middle of a montage, it's always spot on.
That thing where Peco rubbers the back side of his Japanese-style pengrip paddle -- that definitely is unusual like they say -- the handle shape makes it harder to twist into position for a reverse pengrip backhand. That's one of my favorite shots to throw off my opponent, too, so it was cool to see it come up.

This all really makes me wanna order a custom built paddle with a carbon blade this time. One side of my current paddle is this sick spin-canceling Butterfly rubber, but the whole paddle is way too heavy.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I wouldn't say I'm good, but I play enough ping pong to really appreciate the accuracy of the animation. I see an attack and anticipate some response, and then the other player goes and does it. Even if it's a really choppy bit in the middle of a montage, it's always spot on.
That thing where Peco rubbers the back side of his Japanese-style pengrip paddle -- that definitely is unusual like they say -- the handle shape makes it harder to twist into position for a reverse pengrip backhand. That's one of my favorite shots to throw off my opponent, too, so it was cool to see it come up.

This all really makes me wanna order a custom built paddle with a carbon blade this time. One side of my current paddle is this sick spin-canceling Butterfly rubber, but the whole paddle is way too heavy.

I only know a little about high level ping pong play, but I really like how it actually went out of its way to show peco switching up attack styles in this last episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know anything about ping pong, but from what I have learned, I hope you resolve the deep-seated issue that grips your life before you finish high school.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't know anything about ping pong, but from what I have learned, I hope you resolve the deep-seated issue that grips your life before you finish high school.

I only look like I'm in high school, in that I'm 30.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any way to watch this legally in the UK, BTW?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there any way to watch this legally in the UK, BTW?

Crunchyroll has been streaming it for viewers outside of NA. If you start now you'll be ready for the finale in 3 days!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

Crunchyroll has been streaming it for viewers outside of NA.
Not for the UK, only Europe minus Russia/UK/French-speaking areas, and the Middle East.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Try funimation's site.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Try funimation's site.

Their videos never work in the UK. I've checked.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

In some Animation news, Yuasa and Choi finally formed a studio together. Their first work officially with this new studio was the latest episode of Adventure Time, so they have already started off with some darn good work.

As to be expected of Yuasa and Choi. I'm so happy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I would be so pumped for the finale of this show if Breaking Bad hadn't taught me to manage my expectations. I hope it's pretty good and not generic.

• Locked thread