Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sounds similar to the US model of increasing outsource to Korea and relying in interns for everything else.

The hard part about getting genuine talent is that you have to be able to pay for it (and depending on the personality of the artist, extended time to complete); combined with the funding system being tied to DVD sales within a market that isn't supporting auteur work, Yuasa is in a tougher position than others like Imaishi who produce things that not just get attention, but appeal to the types of people who will buy lots of ancillary products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Mercrom posted:

That seems remarkably fitting. I hope the episode nails the humor though.

The preview alone is full of great gags, I think it's going to be fine.

I just love how the layouts and compositions are so cinematic, too. I wish CN would just give Yuasa a show of his own.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Smile doesn't care as much about winning, since he doesn't really seem to have any real goal at all. He has a certain level of pride, but it doesn't express itself in the same way as the arrogance of Wenge and Peko. So while it was a sacrifice to blow the game, it wasn't something as altruistic sacrifice because of the lack of value Smile holds for the stakes at play.

Also I'm pretty sure he understands some Chinese, and knows from the coach's yelling that Wenge is likely going to have his life ruined or at least he'd be crushed in such a way that he could never stand up again. I view Smile's decision in reference to his comments at the beginning of Wenge's first match of the tournament.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Srice posted:

Haha, it really took me awhile to notice that the tanned guy was Peco. Jesus, he really took losing hard :smith:

Also, Smile didn't show any mercy on Sakuma. Makes me wonder if over this timeskip he became less merciful, if he felt the stakes weren't enough to show mercy, or because of their past. Or heck, maybe a combination of the three!

Anyways, good episode like usual. Not as flashy as last week's but it had a bunch of nice character moments. I think Wenge is currently my favorite right now, really can't wait to see how his character progresses from now on.

I think Smile was in some way being merciful, when you take into account the way he has thought about people devoting their entire being into the game. Smile devotes time and energy, but he isn't putting his entire life and identity into it. Essentially by defeating Sakuma now and in such a brutal way, it is to spare him more long-term heartbreak. I think this was alluded to by the coach's descriptions of Sakuma. What may sound like an awfully devastating thing to say, to tell someone they have no talent, to Smile it doesn't mean as much because to him it only means not having talent in something that shouldn't be given that much import.

In short, I think Smile is still consistent with his characterization from earlier despite what might seem a harsher edge on the outset.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I was surprised to see them have the brands by name, including the Pepsi. Normally they have to substitute letters.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

What I use as shorthand for what you're talking about is overall production design. Being able to not just pick an appropriate style for the kind of story you wish to tell, but achieving that look consistently enough that there aren't those moments where the art failures take you out of the moment. KyoAni and Yuasa have very different stylization, but their fundamentals in timing, spacing, follow-through, etc. are strong.

A lot of studios have used various AfterEffects techniques to cover up for their bad drawing or animation fundamentals, and unfortunately lots of people will fall for a gradient lighting effect/mask or diffuse glow or chromatic aberration.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Holy poo poo this episode was great. I am going to need the music during Peko's comeback.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

laplace posted:

In some Animation news, Yuasa and Choi finally formed a studio together. Their first work officially with this new studio was the latest episode of Adventure Time, so they have already started off with some darn good work.

As to be expected of Yuasa and Choi. I'm so happy for them.

That is excellent news! I really hope they get more opportunities in the future to show their stuff.

I just want Cartoon Network to give them money to make whatever they want and just broadcast them as specials.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

laplace posted:

Yeah, it is obvious it was Choi/Yuasa's studio, but the news that they finally came out and announced that they'd begin working on things is cool.

That being said, Flash isn't like instantly an indicator of bad animation. Choi has mentioned wanting to use it since the Wakfu special (Wakfu is almost entirely animated in Flash, and season 2/the specials look pretty darn good), so I'm not surprised they're using it. Yuasa doesn't do much work himself on computers (He usually drafts and then hands it off to his other animators to do) so I'm more shocked that he himself would move to flash.

Still, all big studios have small starts. It is exciting to see Yuasa finally get a "home" of his own.

TV Paint is also getting some more play out in Japan. A lot of the drawing/painting tools in it seem more like Yuasa's style than Flash's.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

laplace posted:

But it's not like Peco is intrinsically the "hero", but rather whole "spirit of ping pong"/"Alien from planet ping pong". Peco fades in and out of this character (as we see over the course of his arc) but he always finds himself back in it when he is having fun, and when he is playing the game from a standpoint where he respects other players. Smile was the opposite, ruthlessly destroying everyone like a robot and becoming a machine that couldn't be overcome because that was Smile's way of dealing with things. It's not necessarily Smile's defeat as much as it is Peco saving Smile himself from the Robot he became -- Hence the actual visual metaphor of Smile breaking free, tumbling into a heap, and then emerging more powerful than ever once he, like all of the others, understood the reason why they began to play to begin with. It's not that Peco himself is just some depthless god hero, but rather that he tuned back into what made the game feel good and thus so did the others, who over the course of the show learned to understand their opponents. That's the thing -- As children, the characters played for fun. They played to their most, but for fun and enjoyment. At the start of the series, Peco is playing to Win and Smile is playing for Fun, but they've lost that connection that makes the game valuable to them. It's really thematic then that Peco's arc would involve returning to having fun, and then embodying that to the other characters who would be so close to falling over the ledge of "playing only to win" and "staking one's life on ping pong" that Peco had at the start of the series.

I would hardly say that the hero motif is one with little substance. It's entirely constructed and well backed up within the narrative of the show. Peco isn't near-mythical with no reason. We witnessed him get there through hard work and determination and it made sense that he would get to where he was. Having Smile beat him in the end would have just retreaded water -- We already know what happens when someone "plays to win" and gives up on enjoying themselves. Peco existed entirely to prevent that from happening, and that's why him going through that is important.

Also, Manga Spoilers, but It's heavily implied in the manga and the movie that Smile, while not "throwing the match", doesn't play the same way he had been because he knows how much it means to not only Peco, but himself and the others, that they play Ping Pong for the reasons that they originally had. I think Yuasa established this pretty hard with the children scene as well.

I viewed Smile's behavior as a way of trying to get Peco to come back. The ruthlessness being a strategy to that end rather than an end in and of itself. It was sort of his way of saving Peco so Peco in turn would rescue him.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

An upcoming episode of Space Dandy is also directed by Yuasa.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

laplace posted:

Oh I loving love this movie, I'm so glad someone else knows about it. It is a goddamn acid trip.

I grew up with Maruko-chan, so it's great to see this film getting around. There are also some amazing, tear-enducing episodes of the old TV show, too. (The one where the music teacher leaves gets me every time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

This.

If you're looking for reality based shows that are really good, try Kids on the Slope, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, or Chihayafuru.

Echoing Hyouka and Chihayafuru. Those were great.

• Locked thread